AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-02-09, 01:07   Link #101
Midonin
Last Engage

As a person continually interested in music, I am pleased to hear how the theme songs will be handled.

After all, a show's episode may finish in 24 minutes, but the theme songs can loop in my head for days if they're catchy enough.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 11:33   Link #102
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
It seems they took the "Minami-ke" path for the theme songs.
As in doing seiyuu songs? They have been doing the same for non non key products since Haruhi
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 13:12   Link #103
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Well, just Haruhi and Lucky*Star. I wouldn't really call it the Minami-ke path tho, since it was a common practice in past decades, especially in the golden age of Megumi Hayashibara and Kikuko Inoue.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 16:35   Link #104
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
It seems they took the "Minami-ke" path for the theme songs.
You haven't seen Negima before, have you?

Last edited by Claies; 2009-02-11 at 17:42. Reason: Fixed link
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 05:41   Link #105
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
As in doing seiyuu songs? They have been doing the same for non non key products since Haruhi
Pretty much every other show does that now. This isn't really a standard set by anything in particular, it's actually quite common. One could just as easily call it the Minami-Ke route as they could call it the *does some searching* the Ichigo 100% route or as mentioned the Negima! route. By the way, do we have a cast list for this. Oh man....I had this crazy idea....what if were to feature....get this....Daisuke Ono. Wouldn't that be way out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
I wonder if people would be really happy as long as "it's not like Lucky Star". If for example the show had a crappy artwork, the gags were humourless, the seiyuus were far from experienced and the staff had no idea of what the heck they were doing, some people might still enjoy it because "it's not like Lucky Star."

hmmm ...I get the feeling more than one is going to feel disappointed... just saying...

so let's see, what I sort of expect from the show:

- I do expect moé... it's going to have a certain degree of it, not because Kyoani is going to be in charge, but because the source material has something of that sort. Of what form and in what way is going to be handled by the studio/staff is beyond me. (a word of advice: if you don't like moé at all and you expect this show not to have anything of it, this might not be what you are looking for... just saying...)

- The premise and the little preview of the 4-koma suggest that this show is going to have some sort of plot or sense of continuity. It depends now on how the scriptwriter/screenwriter translates this to the anime medium. But I would be lying if I said that I'm not expecting some issues/problems arising as result.

- a character-driven rather than plot-driven (or humour-driven) kind of show.

- 4-komas are very difficult to adapt, so not really expecting anything mind boggling... on the other hand, it should allow the staff to have more liberties as to what direction the show is going to take. How are they going to use these creative licenses or in what ways they are going to be conveyed/executed is still uncertain.

- well, just expecting a fun series. Maybe I'm going to enjoy the discussions, as long as they are not too emphatic on Kyoani, Lucky Star, Haruhi, and whatnots...
As a general response to that I would have to say don't get your hopes up. You can't really count on people not to engage in what is familiar to them. There will be comparisons to Haruhi, Lucky Star and the idea of the standard of Kyoto Animation because.....well that's just the way it goes. It's not what I'd prefer to discuss either, but then again what can you do?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 08:16   Link #106
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
By the way, do we have a cast list for this. Oh man....I had this crazy idea....what if were to feature....get this....Daisuke Ono. Wouldn't that be way out there? :eyespin
For the four lead roles they went with 4 all but unknown seiyuu's, though a few of them are doing 2-3 shows in Spring so they probably won't be unknown for much longer.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...1&postcount=55
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 10:06   Link #107
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
For the four lead roles they went with 4 all but unknown seiyuu's, though a few of them are doing 2-3 shows in Spring so they probably won't be unknown for much longer.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...1&postcount=55
Yea, that surprised me when I checked the cast the other day.

To have mostly new girls for the cast is a great push to young seiyuus. They could have gone with established and reknown girls instead, but taking this route they are helping to broad the spectre and bring up new talent.

I hope new series keep doing this, of course not forgetting about all the current great talent, but with a couple of shows doing this every season, more of these girls (and guys) will have better chances to get known (and work).
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 11:59   Link #108
Proto

Hirano Aya, Chihara Minori and Gotou Yuko were pretty new and not that well known themselves before SHnY, so it's all well within KyoAni's evil plans.
Old 2009-02-12, 15:16   Link #109
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Okay so then went the unknown route. That would have been my second guess besides using their preferred cast. Both sort of make sense because working with familiar people can make the voice recording process go more smoothly, but working with unknown people can potentially have the benefit of making it cost less as well. And usually the unknowns are okay at what they do and will work harder because they want this chance to prove themselves. Win/Win.
Old 2009-02-13, 01:11   Link #110
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Hirano Aya, Chihara Minori and Gotou Yuko were pretty new and not that well known themselves before SHnY, so it's all well within KyoAni's evil plans.
Exactly, works out for KyoAni's reputation for bringing new talent into the spotlight (and cheap as well), and works out for the girls who will hope to follow the path of the Haruhi girls and get many more roles in the next years.

Like Kaioshin said, it is a win/win situation.
Old 2009-02-13, 02:32   Link #111
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

They didn't seem to with Kanon and Clannad, where most of the main characters are voiced by veterans.

Maybe they use novices when they're exploring new techniques and lesser-known series, as SHnY and Lucky*Star are each pretty unique and unheard of in style (for better or for worse). They don't have to pull punches with Key visual novel adaptations, because they're proven to pay. Maybe they can't afford expensive experiments.

Which leads me to think that K-on is once again something entirely different. Again, we don't know if it's for better or for worse.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 05:47   Link #112
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
They didn't seem to with Kanon and Clannad, where most of the main characters are voiced by veterans.

Maybe they use novices when they're exploring new techniques and lesser-known series, as SHnY and Lucky*Star are each pretty unique and unheard of in style (for better or for worse). They don't have to pull punches with Key visual novel adaptations, because they're proven to pay. Maybe they can't afford expensive experiments.

Which leads me to think that K-on is once again something entirely different. Again, we don't know if it's for better or for worse.
More likely it's the PS2 games that came out before the animated version, which have also been voiced by the same people.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 09:29   Link #113
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post

There is a difference between Air, Kanon, Clannad and Haruhi, Lucky Star and K-On!

The first group are Key properties, which have been previously voiced on their PC/PS2 games and it is their call to have the same seiyuus from the games or any other ones from a high profile.

In the other hand we have those new, relatively unknown IPs which come from either Light Novels or 4-Komas, they don't have any high-profile predecessors, so they are food experimental grounds. And Kadokawa doesn't seem to be in the need of requiring high profile cast, or maybe they just don't want to spend on it too much.

Same case is Munto, besides Ono Daisuke, pretty much the entire cast is made of newer or lesser known seiyuus.

So as you see, Kei IPs and other IPs (Kadokawa's) are 2 different stories. And it is obvious where the high production values are. Kei's series are meant to be big since day one, while Haruhi was just a runaway hit that rode on its own success, with LS keeping the momentum and taking advantage of Haruhi's success.

Now almost 2 years after LS release, K-On! is coming standing on a different ground, similar to that one where Haruhi was back then. Not much external hype due to all the hate brought by the lack of Haruhi S2 (and now no Haruhi-chan today...), so it is just K-On1 on its own, backed up by a great animation studio, hoping to bring many great new things to the table, including the seiyuus.
Old 2009-02-17, 15:03   Link #114
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

There's a PV for this series up now. Like most it tells us next to nothing and has a kind of generic synth rock playing over it (RUSH this is not) so there's really not much I can make of it atm. Doesn't really look like my kind of show so far though.
Old 2009-02-17, 15:06   Link #115
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

K-On! is only going to be any good if they can achieve the sheer awesome that was Episode 12 of Haruhi.

But I don't see it, unfortunately.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 15:59   Link #116
Nosauz

i dunno this could be a hit, it really depends on how well the convert from 4-koma to anime, but considereing this kyoani the quality will be good. Also when you have a music anime time can be extended with actualy songs, so as long as the songs are of beck quality we should be in for a treat. I wouldn't say that K-on has the unknown factor, just because its of 4-koma fame and has been affected by kadakowa trolling, the project is still being done by kyoani which means that right off the bat its expeceted to be good, sometimes shows just aren't good so that possibility still looms over k-on, can it live up to the fact that its being done by kyonani.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 16:16   Link #117
M.Marangio

There is also a minor update of the character page: a few pics of the four main characters were added.
http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/k-on/chara/chara.html
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 16:24   Link #118
Proto

@Nosauz: Considering that kyoAni already has some experience with 4komas from Lucky Star I think they are on already explored territory in that respect.
Old 2009-02-17, 16:44   Link #119
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
You guys really needs to lower your expectations regarding the level of music in K-on. X-Japan, Siam Shade or Spitz it will be not.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 16:50   Link #120
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
You guys really needs to lower your expectations regarding the level of music in K-on. X-Japan, Siam Shade or Spitz it will be not.
If the music in the series is the same as the style in the trailer then I'm 100% inclined to agree with you there.

Tags
comedy, light music, seinen