AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hidan no Aria

Notices

View Poll Results: Hidan no Aria - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 7 13.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 37.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 17.65%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 13.73%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 7.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.92%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 3.92%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-07, 13:36   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Hidan no Aria - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hidan no Aria, Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-05-07, 14:33   Link #2
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

It almost seems that JC Staff was deliberately playing it low-key for the first 2 and a half episodes to save money for the TRULY jaw-dropping action sequences.

But boy oh boy was it money well saved and even better spent when Aria-chan and Riko-chan's heart-pounding and bone-shattering Gun-Kata battle exploded onto the screen!!

Well worth the wait and truly worthy of the same studio that gave us the battle between Kamijou Touma and Accelerator, a landmark event in Early 21st Century Anime.

Well Done, JC Staff. You may have faltered with most of Index 2 and Ookami San (both still extremely entertaining and fun) but you're back in good from once more!! 10 Stars out of 10!!
Old 2011-05-07, 19:07   Link #3
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
It almost seems that JC Staff was deliberately playing it low-key for the first 2 and a half episodes to save money for the TRULY jaw-dropping action sequences.

But boy oh boy was it money well saved and even better spent when Aria-chan and Riko-chan's heart-pounding and bone-shattering Gun-Kata battle exploded onto the screen!!

Well worth the wait and truly worthy of the same studio that gave us the battle between Kamijou Touma and Accelerator, a landmark event in Early 21st Century Anime.
I dunno, while the choreography was good, the animation wasn't that impressive to me =0\. It just wasn't fluid enough for the most part, esp compared to Touma vs Accel. Well, I guess it's impressive given it's animation style (>.>).

So we have a Lupin and a Holmes. Where's Zenigata at when you need him(her) ?
Old 2011-05-07, 19:14   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

This episode made me regain some faith for J.C. to give me hope that this series will at least turn out to be good[and better than merry] as this was the best episode so far 9/10 for action and the Riko plot-twist I really didn't see that coming, though I am wondering how the resolution to the fight is going to happen with Aria down.
MAL
Old 2011-05-07, 19:20   Link #5
yongshun

Okay the fighting is seriously reminding me of the movie Equilibrium.

Head or Gut?
Old 2011-05-07, 19:59   Link #6
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongshun View Post
Okay the fighting is seriously reminding me of the movie Equilibrium.
literally is... the gun became a melee weapon.
whats hidden on Riko's head? its glowing red. i'm sure its a long melee weapon

HALA MADRID!
Old 2011-05-07, 23:24   Link #7
Nvis
Where are the good animes

So Kinji is Watson?
Old 2011-05-07, 23:26   Link #8
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
So Kinji is Watson?
Technically he isn't but Riko decided to put him into that role to give Aria a partner. He's the descendant of a different fictional / real person.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2011-05-07, 23:29   Link #9
zero7090

for this ep there are 2 rating

- 1 rating using the mindlesss fanservice otaku zombie criteria which give it a 9/10
- 1 rating using normal human being criteria, this ep will have prolly about 2/10 or 3/10

this ep is sooo baaaaaaddddddd.

First of all you suspect a bomb on a plane and yet you let it fly without notice the authority, police or at least the security guard? OMFG it is a freaking plane not a bicycle not a bus, when things go bad it can go boom boom boom with explosion everywhere like in the Hollywood movies.
Then you swallow the whole bullock that there is a magical button for the fly captain to press and the plane will automatically take you to the destination? Please at least use you brain for once.
And for the combat scene, holyshit i cant believe trained military personnel can be this unprofessional. Engage in a gunfight on a plane is really facepalm unless it is the air force one. Then you got the blade on the hostile neck and just freaking stand like an useless piece of crap?

Let hope the next ep, they wont start with both side throwing hand grenade at each other.
Old 2011-05-08, 00:04   Link #10
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
First of all you suspect a bomb on a plane and yet you let it fly without notice the authority, police or at least the security guard? OMFG it is a freaking plane not a bicycle not a bus, when things go bad it can go boom boom boom with explosion everywhere like in the Hollywood movies.
Riko[nor anything/anyone else] never mentioned having a bomb on the plane , she taunted them out instead of using a threat because she knew what their goal was, I mean Riko maybe crazy, but she isn't stupid . Hence wouldn't put a bomb on a plane since it leaves her with no way out.

Quote:
Then you swallow the whole bullock that there is a magical button for the fly captain to press and the plane will automatically take you to the destination? Please at least use you brain for once.
Riko just probably didn't even really hijack the flight since her disguise would allow to use the speaker without doing that, meaning the captain is still probably piloting it and she never actually told the captain to stop the flight like Kinji asked, thus it was a lie about being unable to stop it.
MAL
Old 2011-05-08, 00:05   Link #11
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post

Well Done, JC Staff. You may have faltered with most of Index 2 and Ookami San (both still extremely entertaining and fun) but you're back in good from once more!! 10 Stars out of 10!!

You're joking, the choreography was ok. Nowhere near the best I've seen by a very long shot.
Old 2011-05-08, 01:16   Link #12
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

- 1 rating using the mindlesss fanservice otaku zombie criteria which give it a 9/10
- 1 rating using normal human being criteria, this ep will have prolly about 2/10 or 3/10
Very enlightening......
Old 2011-05-08, 01:25   Link #13
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The first two episodes of this anime didn't do much for me, but Episodes 3 and 4 have been largely excellent, and very entertaining watches.

I make a distinction here between "broad strokes" elements, and "details". On the broad strokes elements, I love Episode 4.

Here's why:

1. Really loved the scene between Aria and her mother. I found that pretty touching. Made Aria's character much more likable and understandable for me.

2. Sherlock Holmes' great-granddaughter fighting against Lupin's great-granddaughter. Really cool concept. I'd have preferred Moriarty as the great-grandfather of the villain myself, but this is still a very cool concept.

3. How the main romance of this anime is developing. It seems pretty fresh and different to me. Lots of unexpected twists and turns here I find.

These three broad strokes, combined with very solid action scenes and nice artwork, made this episode an entertaining and rewarding watch for me.

That being said, some of the specific details are a bit hard to follow, and there are some details that just don't make sense (particularly given how this is, yes, an airplane that we're talking about here).

Still, this is an enjoyable watch on the whole, and it has that action flick blockbuster feel to it, and so I'm willing to cut it some slack, as those always require some suspension of disbelief.

8/10 overall for Episode 4. I'm looking forward to Episode 5. This anime reminds me of how much I miss Shakugan no Shana.
Old 2011-05-08, 03:03   Link #14
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Now that Shakugan no Shana is mentioned, I can't help but compare Aria's defeat in the hands of Riko with Shana's defeat with Margery Daw... although Shana is clearly underclassed by a 400-year old Flame Haze.

I find that the storytelling has improved by a large amount, getting the right atmosphere for both both sad and suspense-filled scenes. Yeah, the gunkata is not at the league of Index's fight between Touma and Accelerator, but it is still decent.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-05-08, 03:20   Link #15
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Did the novel mention what gun (or rather, guns) did Riko use in this fight?
Old 2011-05-08, 03:23   Link #16
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Riko uses two Walther pistols.

As for blades, she just uses two generic combat knives. No specific type given.
Old 2011-05-08, 03:33   Link #17
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Riko uses two Walther pistols.
Walther? Isn't that the James Bond gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
As for blades, she just uses two generic combat knives. No specific type given.
They look similar to Aria's own.
Old 2011-05-08, 03:39   Link #18
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

Aria uses two Kodachi.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2011-05-08, 03:43   Link #19
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It's the handgun that Bond's known for carrying the most often yes.

If you want a specific model Riko's is the Walther P99, a rather recent model.

Quote:
Aria uses two kodachi as her blades of choice.

They're considered "short blade katanas". Combat knives still have a shorter blade than that.
Old 2011-05-08, 06:07   Link #20
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:

this ep is sooo baaaaaaddddddd.

And for the combat scene, holyshit i cant believe trained military personnel can be this unprofessional. Engage in a gunfight on a plane is really facepalm unless it is the air force one. Then you got the blade on the hostile neck and just freaking stand like an useless piece of crap?

Let hope the next ep, they wont start with both side throwing hand grenade at each other.
Ahahaha...

Who said there was a bomb on the plane?

OMG MAGICAL BUTTON AUTOPILOT? HAX!

You're right. The trained army personnel should hide behind the bar while the deranged psychopath respects weapon and safety rules.

Butei Law article 9: Regardless of the situation, a Butei cannot kill. Otherwise, Armed Prosecutors will start dropping from the sky and kick your ass.
Closed Thread