AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-06, 20:42   Link #321
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Hitman Reborn for boys, is all what I can say to it.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 20:57   Link #322
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This is going to be weird with a girl who going to to much and a guy who seem to be like a dog to her
Old 2012-04-07, 02:02   Link #323
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

There would definitely comparison with Haruhi. But from me, it would be how opposite they are in the same setting.

Haruhi was a God who think she's an outstanding club president and spent the entire series sparking up the school for a single person aside herself. Medaka on another hand is outstanding school president, who think she 's God and tried to make school life interesting for everyone.

Unfortunately, the later is not as interesting so far, so i probably will just drop the anime and skip through the manga to see how it picks up later
Old 2012-04-07, 02:20   Link #324
Gohan78
Awakened One

The problem with Medaka Box is that it's much more interesting when the main heroine isn't in the spotlight.
She is so perfect that she is boring.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 03:48   Link #325
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

For those who have still been reading the manga....

I did it. I read the first few chapter, and then skip straight to the most recent arc... Which is so anticlimactic, but i know which direction this anime's going now
Old 2012-04-07, 03:49   Link #326
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Well I greatly enjoyed the first episode of this, Perfect or not, I found Medaka, herself, very fun to watch, definitely keeping this series. And the rest of the cast was interesting too.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 06:33   Link #327
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I really don't think any of the developments/"genre switches" in Medaka Box weren't planned. The groundwork/basis for the next major arc is always pretty clearly telegraphed. The only thing I can't figure out is why Nishio stuck to the initial school arc for so long in the first place...but I remember by the 11th chapter I was already saying "this is really boring; it should/will turn into a battle manga any day now".
It was and still isn't a battle manga. Yes, it has fight scenes, and arcs about fight scenes....but this isn't Bleach or DBZ or anything like that. None of the fights are drawn out for months at a time, and a good number of them are more verbal than slugfest. Not that they're any less intense though.

Medaka (manga) shows a clear and dramatic shift in gears once Kumagawa appears, and while no one really knows if it was planned to work like this, what I do know is that prior to that character showing up Medaka Box was ranking so badly that rumors were flying it would get cancelled. Personally I don't think the story was supposed to work out the way it did. Something tells me that the possibility of cancellation created the means to allow Nisio to go a little crazy and here we are now with a fairly successful manga and new anime.

It wouldn't be the first time a story was changed for the sake of ratings. On the other hand it could be exactly as you say and this whole thing was planned exactly as we see it.....it just needed to find an audience that would appreciate it.
Old 2012-04-07, 06:59   Link #328
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh man, every time I look at Medaka, her boobs get in the way. I understand that Gainax invented Gainaxing at all, but that just makes her look pretty ugly from most angles. :S The music was also questionable as well, OP was there, and the BGM for the first half of the episode was also kinda just, well there.... and everyone is a Medaka shill eh?

However, it was much more enjoyable to watch this than to read this. I was expecting more of an over the top arrogant bitch character, but Aki Toyosaki does an excellent job; rather self confident and such without being obnoxious.

And there's many a silly Gainax'ish moment to make the comedy work and gives off the feeling of a gag comedy show. It seems to not take itself too seriously I guess so I will give it a chance... 6/10 for the first episode.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-04-07 at 07:30.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 07:18   Link #329
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It was and still isn't a battle manga. Yes, it has fight scenes, and arcs about fight scenes....but this isn't Bleach or DBZ or anything like that. None of the fights are drawn out for months at a time, and a good number of them are more verbal than slugfest. Not that they're any less intense though.

Medaka (manga) shows a clear and dramatic shift in gears once Kumagawa appears, and while no one really knows if it was planned to work like this, what I do know is that prior to that character showing up Medaka Box was ranking so badly that rumors were flying it would get cancelled. Personally I don't think the story was supposed to work out the way it did. Something tells me that the possibility of cancellation created the means to allow Nisio to go a little crazy and here we are now with a fairly successful manga and new anime.

It wouldn't be the first time a story was changed for the sake of ratings. On the other hand it could be exactly as you say and this whole thing was planned exactly as we see it.....it just needed to find an audience that would appreciate it.
Well, I agree that Medaka Box shouldn't be described as a battle/fighting series; it'd probably be more accurate to say that the shift is into a more dramatic one. As far as the existence of Kumagawa's character specifically, though, that was foreshadowed as early as the 20th chapter. So I do think that all the basic building blocks in Nishio's mind for Medaka Box's narrative development were all well-established from the beginning.

That's not to say that the story doesn't change based on external conditions; the timing incidence of the most recent manga arc with the anime can attest to that. But I do think it is presumptuous of readers to assume that any unexpected twist in the story is a result of external conditions being forced onto Nishio as the writer. He has got a lot more finesse than to have ever planned to write a generic romantic/school comedy in the first place.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 11:38   Link #330
Ushio the Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
I was bored watching it , i'll give 2-3 more episodes.
Then you will drop it. It's a shonen jump series you have to give it 20+ or don't bother.
Ushio the Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 11:50   Link #331
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
This is going to be weird with a girl who going to to much and a guy who seem to be like a dog to her
If you haven't noticed Medaka was designed to be a Mary Sue but that doesn't make her perfect. She has her own flaws like anyone else. And FYI Zenkichi is no dog and can be independent of Medaka. He's a male tsundere who's just in love with her.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 15:33   Link #332
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I've watched the first episode of this on a whim. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I can't say I dislike it. I kinda like the humor, and well, having the main character be a Mary Sue on purpose is kind of a daring move. I think I'll hang around to see where this goes.

The thing that made me want to try it out is that it's Studio Gainax.

I guess I am a man after all.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 18:19   Link #333
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
You know ... after watching ep 1 (and not having read the manga) I really don't know what to think.... I guess part of the problem is that I don't like the female lead. I kind of like Zenkichi and Shiranui though - hmm.

It's an odd collection of things, charas and such. It's just ... I dunno ... odd. I honestly don't know if it interests me enough to continue following it. Hrm....

I will give it another ep or two I think.
Old 2012-04-07, 19:02   Link #334
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
You know ... after watching ep 1 (and not having read the manga) I really don't know what to think.... I guess part of the problem is that I don't like the female lead. I kind of like Zenkichi and Shiranui though - hmm.

It's an odd collection of things, charas and such. It's just ... I dunno ... odd. I honestly don't know if it interests me enough to continue following it. Hrm....

Medaka is extremely hard to like for the first 16 chapters or so. That will translate into the first 7-8 episodes of the anime. If you're unable to enjoy her now, that won't change for quite a while into the anime. In cases like that, I would suggest just reading the manga, because you can easily get through 20+ chapters or so in less than an hour.
Old 2012-04-07, 19:11   Link #335
Clarste
Human

I don't think the series even requires that you like her though. She's more like... the thing that people react to. If you like Zenkichi and Shiranui that should be enough to keep you interested.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 19:26   Link #336
bumbayker

Quote:
I don't blame you for not liking Medaka. I guess it can be said for many protagonists that have a Mary Sue vibe to them, anime or not. Despite her being some sort of "super girl" there are still some things that are beyond her abilities. I think it's important to view Medaka not merely as a heroine who will beat her enemies and protecting her friends/comrades which is cliche in shounen manga. But rather to see her demeanor and actions as a human being as well her unwavering conviction to help anyone in need.

Quote:

You might want to give it at least 4 - 5 episodes more since the first few will focus on gathering other important characters and how Medaka deals with other people's problems. I also had similar feelings when I first read the manga. But when the story shifted to the main plot things got gradually better. But to give you fair warning that this is a shounen "battle" anime. The battles though aren't always combat oriented like we see in many shounen anime. If that genre doesn't appeal to you then you probably won't appreciate this anime.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 20:46   Link #337
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
Then you will drop it. It's a shonen jump series you have to give it 20+ or don't bother.
Really? This is going to last more than 24 episodes? I found the first episode so boring that I paused at least three times to do something else. I didn't really like any of the characters either ..
Old 2012-04-07, 21:01   Link #338
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Wow, who would have thought that Toyosaki Aki's voice has such a deep and coarse range as well. If it werent' for th credits one would have NEVER suspected that Medaka was voiced by Yui-chan!!

Medaka is a strange one to categorize: She is clearly a kind hearted girl, but is also arrogant to the point of sociopathy, yet not a self-centered bitch like Haruhi, so what is she?

In any case, with the proud frankness with which she displays her, ahem, "frontal femininity", Five Bucks say that she's Galvatron's (Mangatron's) Wife this season!!
Old 2012-04-07, 21:19   Link #339
Metaler

Having watched the first episode and read 4 manga chapters, I have to say I have mixed feelings about this. I wanted to think of Medaka as an interesting character, one who's not just a Mary Sue, and that the story will have her undergo a process of "humanization" in the reader's eyes. I'll read all the way to the end of the first volume and see if I'll continue.

I do have to admit, though, that I initially decided to check this out due to Nisioisin's writing. I'm a fan of Monogatari, and I was hoping this would be just as good.

Oh yeah, if this turns out to have 200000000+ episodes, then I'm dropping it. I just don't like it when anime are overly long.
Metaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 22:07   Link #340
Sol Falling

Again, if you're reading the manga, go at least 20 chapters. It's impossible to get an accurate picture of the series at all within just the first volumes.

Tags
action, comedy, shounen