AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-08-13, 19:18   Link #1361
Googi

Clock Starts and other Symbols.

Well, I think the clock started working to symbolize life. Usually when someone dies, a clock stops (kind of like how people say that you sneeze when someone is talking about you, or when someone walks on your grave and you shudder...superstition kind of.) In this case it's reversed, because Lucy was probably "killed" in battle and that the clock started working as the silhouette appeared as a sign that she is alive. Also the music box halts 1 note before ending the song that loops. I would take this as the symbol for continuation for the relationship between Lucy and Kohta (since the box and the song represents their relationship) Also the shell that Lucy/Nyu found was placed inside the box by Kohta in the scene right before as a memento to her (the broken shell is nowhere) This can show how the box (owned by Kohta) represents he and Lucy together (again, Shell and box...Kohta and Lucy)
Wanta is also barking and wagging his tail to show that this silhouette is someone familiar (even if that isn't true to dogs, I think this is what the anime is trying to show.)

The scientist only said he was involved in desperation to spare her own life. It is VERY obvious that she DID remember his face but said she didn't to protect him, that's why when she was making a book of the students (maybe to be questioned) she removed HIS picture only.
Googi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 02:39   Link #1362
Project_Xii

Living in Australia, we don't get hold of anime's very quickly. Inf act we're usually a whole year behind.
So i'm very sad that i finally got to see all these great shows and then never get to join in on discussions. I mean 50+ pages? Sigh... i'll never get through all that. And there's only a very few Autralian's that actually enjoy this kind of anime, so finding one to talk to isn't easy either.
Well, i'll just express some of my thoughts anyway, even if they have been previously stated which i'm sure they have.

I really really enjoyed Elfen Lied. The story and characters were really well developed, and Nyu has probably become my favourite anime'ess. I ery much admire the shows ability to make Lucy go from blood shed, horror, murder etc. back to this sweet little thing going "Nyu?" which automatically makes us go "awwwwww" no matter how many people just died. The balance between cute and horrific is something i haven't seen done so well before.
It was also nice to see a 'dark' anime (as i call them) that just made sense. Series like Paranoia Agent, Technolyze, Hellsing and so on are great, but require a lot of thinking and often cause confusion. Elfen Lied was very straight forward, easy to follow and ended nicely. In fact, i didn't want to end. I've got the manga and the extra 14 episode just to try and prolong it.
It's a shame that there's really not much else they can do with the Diclonius. I'd actually just be happy to watch a series of Nyu playing around and learning things.

So yeah. I really loved this series
Project_Xii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 03:41   Link #1363
Laharu
mao de makai

Send a message via AIM to Laharu Send a message via MSN to Laharu
This anime is very good I think. I like it ^_^
Laharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 07:40   Link #1364
simcoast

im from aus and i think we get dvds out here quite quickly actually.
also its rlly not hard to import them...

neways the ending is all up to audience speculation, u make the ending depending on how u interpreted it.
its just like shakespeare's 'king lear', there r so many interpretations, no one knows if it is about one thing in particular.

personally i would have preferred lucy dying as a heroine sort of, sticking to the tragic hero genre and also if she survived what? the troops would hunt her and prolly kill the innocents, kohta etc. its never ending, at a certain point in the story, we c that another theme the story takes is a sort of forbidden love, a love that no matter how strong it is cannot be, and thats what makes it such a great series bcos u look at it and feel for lucy and her life.
simcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 08:18   Link #1365
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_Xii
Living in Australia, we don't get hold of anime's very quickly. Inf act we're usually a whole year behind.
So i'm very sad that i finally got to see all these great shows and then never get to join in on discussions. I mean 50+ pages? Sigh... i'll never get through all that. A
If the vast majority of posts hadn't been lost when the forum was hacked there would be a lot lore than that.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 00:38   Link #1366
Project_Xii

Quote:
im from aus and i think we get dvds out here quite quickly actually. also its rlly not hard to import them...
Well, if you look at the dates when the animation was first screened in Japan and such, we're bout 2 years behind.
Then we ahve to wait for each dvd to come out one by one, then we have to wait another 6 months for a box set. Take the Ghost in the Shell SAC 1. I finally got the boxset and then my japanese room mate comments on how old it is :P

Yes, I spose we can import them... if you have a credit card and a multi region DVD player. And don't mind the dvd case written in some other language.
Old 2006-08-15, 16:33   Link #1367
9mmx19

Man I dunno why I keep hearing about this. Sure its violent but thats all its got. There are series out there with violence/action with a noncrap story. I got sucked in by the action too and just hoped the story would get good later - didnt really happen. IMHO this one is waaaay overrated.
9mmx19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 17:09   Link #1368
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmx19
Man I dunno why I keep hearing about this. Sure its violent but thats all its got. There are series out there with /action with a noncrap story. I got sucked in by the action too and just hoped the story would get good later - didnt really happen. IMHO this one is waaaay ove .
Apparently you missed out on the moral, sociological, scientific and philosophical themes that elevate it to being more than just bl00d-&-t!ts
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 22:05   Link #1369
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmx19
Man I dunno why I keep hearing about this. Sure its violent but thats all its got. There are series out there with violence/action with a noncrap story. I got sucked in by the action too and just hoped the story would get good later - didnt really happen. IMHO this one is waaaay overrated.
Are you serious? You must have a cold, cold heart my friend, if you felt absolutely no heart pangs as the story went on...
Old 2006-08-15, 22:09   Link #1370
Project_Xii

Some people like things spelled out for them :P
In truth, the violence meant nothing to me after the first episode. Just eye candy and something to make you go "Oh, nasty."
Old 2006-08-16, 01:22   Link #1371
simcoast

er, the violence is a vital part of the story. thats also the same with the nudity. the violence represents anger and suffering caused through the story, while nudity is as pure a symbol of human innocence and vulnerability as one could find.

also, what he said is quite true, though the elfen lied story is a deep n meaningful one, it isnt a story that every1 will enjoy, ie. younger ppl etc.
simcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 01:38   Link #1372
Project_Xii

Well, yeah there's that. i meant it meant ntohing to me in the sense that it wasn't what kept me watching. I wasn't watching just to see people's heads explode or naked anime chicks. heh.
Old 2006-08-17, 07:14   Link #1373
insanity

Any news on Season 2, or is it not comming?
insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 08:13   Link #1374
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanity
Any news on Season 2, or is it not comming?
No. Go and help us bug Tokyopop or someone to license the manga.
Old 2006-08-17, 12:15   Link #1375
Illuminati

Sorry to interfere but I would like to know if the opening theme is 100% exclusive and created only for Elfen Lied.. because it's sounds like a classic.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 13:09   Link #1376
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines
No. Go and help us bug Tokyopop or someone to license the manga.
Indeed. The story rocks, even if the art does not. We need the manga because it's the only way for moar.
Old 2006-08-17, 22:29   Link #1377
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Actually Okamoto's style in EL has really grown on me.
Old 2006-08-17, 23:58   Link #1378
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminati
Sorry to interfere but I would like to know if the opening theme is 100% exclusive and created only for Elfen Lied.. because it's sounds like a classic.
Classic?

You can call it that... sort of.

The lyrics consists of the hymn Ave mundi spes Maria and several passages from the Bible.
Check the link below for details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilium_%28song%29
Old 2006-08-18, 00:31   Link #1379
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines
Actually Okamoto's style in EL has really grown on me.
It's not bad, I guess, it's just that the anime's art is so beautiful that it sucks by comparison. In and of itself it's at least 'good.'
Old 2006-08-18, 13:09   Link #1380
heroplant

OT a little bit
this EL thread seems to be get pushed once a while :P
heroplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, ecchi, horror, loli, romance, seinen