Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-04-28, 11:51   Link #641
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Though not a lot out there uses /opt that I've noticed, especially anything that uses an appreciable amount of disk space. About the only thing I've actually seen that uses it is anything KDE uses.
A notable program that uses /opt in Ubuntu is OpenOffice.org.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 11:52   Link #642
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman View Post
Though not a lot out there uses /opt that I've noticed, especially anything that uses an appreciable amount of disk space.
Applications designed originally for BSD or Sun Solaris tended to install themselves in /opt. The POSIX standard for "unpackaged" applications (usually from source) is the /usr/local tree. You won't see much in /opt (or /usr/local) if you use package management since most of those applications will end up under /usr. Older applications compiled from source sometimes default to using /opt when you "make install," though nowadays installation to /usr/local is more common. I attribute much of this change to the replacement of Solaris by Linux as the benchmark *nix platform over the past decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
A notable program that uses /opt in Ubuntu is OpenOffice.org.
I guess Sun still thinks of Solaris as the reference platform, then

BTW, Fedora places OpenOffice in the /usr tree along with every other application that uses RPM package management.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 12:10   Link #643
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I remember the days of "/opt/firefox". It inspired many the question on what in the world that directory was for.

Hey, at least you're not looking at things like qmail that like to install everything in /var... Ugh.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 12:11   Link #644
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Oh, I almost forgot, Saturday was installfest time in Buenos Aires. Pictures galore! (I'm the long-haired guy with the offensive T-shirt )

Spoiler for Ubuntu-ar team:

Spoiler for Ubuntu-ar stand:

Spoiler for people eating our famous Ubuntu cookies--sorry, don't have a clear picture of those:

Spoiler for some friends:

Spoiler for now for the real installfest:

Spoiler for some more installing:

Overall, it was a really fun event, even if we had to grind our brains sometimes because the issues brought upon by the crappy PCs some users took to the fest. But lots of laughs and fun stuff all around.

Old 2008-04-28, 23:57   Link #645
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Oh, I almost forgot, Saturday was installfest time in Buenos Aires. Pictures galore! (I'm the long-haired guy with the offensive T-shirt )
Awww, you are not going to let us guess who you are anymore?

Quote:
Spoiler for Ubuntu-ar team:
Wander Red-eyes Demon Knight!

Quote:
Spoiler for some friends:
Censor the U !! D:

Anyway, I just installed Kubuntu with KDE4 mix, and it was like trying to learn how to use a computer again... <_<

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 12:34   Link #646
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Totally off-topic but nice hair, WanderingKnight. Mine's about that length (maybe a few inches more?) but has gone mostly silver.

About to start downloading it --- the Ubuntu site doesn't seem to ship single copies anymore (only 20-packs)? Hmmm, maybe I'll donate a 20-pack to the school. Hmmm, has anyone spotted a torrent for it (rather than a straight 700MB http download)?

hah, 'crappy pc' install attempts are where you find out just how robust the package is.

Anxious to see if it can grok my little "disposable" laptop.
Old 2008-04-29, 13:47   Link #647
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Hmmm, has anyone spotted a torrent for it (rather than a straight 700MB http download)?
Here I uploaded a torrent (the link will last for a week or so) for the GNOME version (I had to download it to bring some CDs to the installfest, unfortunately I don't have a KDE version, but it should be in the download section of the website).

Old 2008-04-29, 17:31   Link #648
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks... probably take me a couple of days squeezing it in between episodes
Old 2008-04-30, 02:58   Link #649
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Hey, I just found out about this, but it appears Mark Shuttleworth himself is coming to Buenos Aires for the Regional Free Software Conferences in August. The Conferences themselves were already a huge event, and now it seems to be shaping up into something even bigger than I had expected. To have an international guest is already surprising, even more if it's someone like Mark Shuttleworth himself!

I don't consider Shuttleworth to be such an eminence as, say, Linus or Stallman, or the big time kernel hackers, but he's the guy who founded Canonical and Ubuntu, so it's kind of a big thing if he's coming this way. I already offered myself as a volunteer to help out in the organization of the event, so I'm going to be busy with it the coming months

Old 2008-05-15, 02:04   Link #650
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Finally got a chance to try Ubuntu 8.04 on my sacrificial laptop... everything worked fine except -- the ever failing to incorporate a Linksys wireless pcimia card automatically.
Its a brand new card: the OS spots it and loads a driver and it shows up on ifconfig (no IP assigned) ... but it still fails to activate/initialize the device and set the routes automatically. Setting the IP info manually using any graphic interface doesn't change the ifconfig status. I have to manually coax it by command line into running with lots of cursing, manual initialization, and route commands.

Too tired tonight to do research to see if there's some wizardy thing that would work -- but I'd really like to see the wireless card issues taken care of for Joe Casual rather than having to seek wireless packages that (oh gosh one needs a net connection to get those packages....... ).

Everything else is looking splendiferous so far...

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-05-15 at 12:10.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 05:18   Link #651
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I hope everybody who uses Ubuntu, Debian, or whatever else distro based on Debian has heard about Debian's bug of the decade meanwhile and patched their system.

Basically, as much as I gather, some Debian maintainer who didn't understand the code he was maintaining patched the openssl lib. Which made ssh keys vulnerable to (not so) brute force attacks. The bug remained unnoticed for more than 1.5 years.

This is quite a mess and something one shouldn't brush away with arguments like "shows that the system works" or "Windows/Mac is worse". Seems to challenge a few myths about Open Source in general and Debian in particular.
Old 2008-05-15, 12:07   Link #652
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sounds like the old issue of "turf territoriality" vs "peer review" took a nasty turn.

Open Source *depends* on lots of volunteer eyeballs examining each change. It doesn't work if each pasture only has one cowboy.
Old 2008-05-16, 10:59   Link #653
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Apparently Ubuntu's package repository no longer has XMMS (seriously, why?!), and I really loved XMMS the way it used to be.

Does anyone know of good replacements? So far, Audacious is pretty close but not exactly there. Quod Libet doesn't look like XMMS, but has everything...except for the equalizer.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 12:29   Link #654
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

You have xmms2. I believe there's a GUI frontend for that.

I wouldn't know, though; I use Amarok, simply the best music player in existence

Old 2008-05-21, 04:55   Link #655
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

xmms2 is completely different from xmms.

Well, xmms is really too old.
Old 2008-05-22, 10:53   Link #656
sa547
*Author

Currently running Kubuntu 8.04 and trying it out, thanks to Wubi. Everything's okay so far except I have yet to install the drivers for the FX5200 and the sound in my machine.
Old 2008-05-22, 11:09   Link #657
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Everything's okay so far except I have yet to install the drivers for the FX5200
Didn't it prompt you to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers? I have that same graphics card and those work like a charm.

I'd really recommend you to do it, font rendering is absolutely hideous with the default open source driver (nv), especially on KDE, plus you have no 3D rendering at all.

Old 2008-05-22, 15:16   Link #658
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Just a note that I posted this blurb about smplayer in the "Software" thread. It's now my GUI player of choice on KDE.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 22:49   Link #659
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Didn't it prompt you to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers? I have that same graphics card and those work like a charm.

I'd really recommend you to do it, font rendering is absolutely hideous with the default open source driver (nv), especially on KDE, plus you have no 3D rendering at all.
The nVidia drivers are now installed, and all's left is to play the FLV and MP3 files. Will try smplayer later, and a list of shell commands to review.
Old 2008-05-22, 23:06   Link #660
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
xmms2 is completely different from xmms.

Well, xmms is really too old.
True, but old != suck, i.e. Notepad. XMMS was delightfully simple yet fully functional, and I couldn't find anything close to it in that regard.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, ubuntu