AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-20, 19:05   Link #181
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Anyway, the original question I was asking ( and which apparently nobody understood it to be such, which is surely my fault ), was rather "So what did you think of Sheryl based on her two scenes before that moment at the dressing room?".
First time I watched the episode, right? Quite honestly, I don't remember. I can't remember thinking much of anything about her. I was thinking more, "Wow, the production values on this show look really, really good!" and wishing I had a better TV than the crappy hotel room TV I was stuck with.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 19:35   Link #182
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Beto, why don't you answer the question I actually pose, instead of going off on another tangent which leaves me scratching my head how you can interpret my actual question in totally another way?
Well, I thought I was answering one of your questions, since you did reference two of them, ie. the one I did answer and the rephrased "So what did you think of Sheryl based on her two scenes before that moment at the dressing room?".

As for this second question, I'd have to quote Yot-chan, here, and say I didn't "think much of anything about her" until the scene with Cathy. Good enough, now?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 21:15   Link #183
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I think I liked Kathy the most of all the characters in the 1st episode.

Though Sheryl showed signs of potential with Grace, her bitch scene wasn't warming me up too much to her. Of course having seen the intro, I knew Sheryl was going to shine as the story went on so I kept a somewhat neutral feeling on her until she was fleshed out more.

Ranka, well I just saw her as an air head kid. Typical of a middle school girl you see in Southern California on a regular basis.

Wasn't much of a fan of Alto then, and even now.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 21:25   Link #184
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Anyway, the original question I was asking ( and which apparently nobody understood it to be such, which is surely my fault ), was rather "So what did you think of Sheryl based on her two scenes before that moment at the dressing room?".
Thinking about them in isolation now, then the impressions I assume we're meant to have taken from them are

(1) quite a normal young lady, with a sense of innocent(?) wonder
(2) but quite professional

Completely overridden by her harsh reaction in the dressing room later on. One tends to remember the bad rather than the good, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Can a guy even be tsun?
Oh definitely.

(I'm not sure if there's a tsuntsun-only trope, but you'll find some in the tsundere one...)

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 02:36   Link #185
Father Hentai

Quote:
My first thoughts? She's a star and she was "boring". There was not much to tell about her only that I had not really the feeling that she will get a bigger/important role in the series. After the locker room scene I thought b1tch with star attitudes. Anyhow, I like such girls somehow and she got more interesting the more interactions she had with Alto and as well with Ranka.
Old 2010-10-21, 02:39   Link #186
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
First time I watched the episode, right? Quite honestly, I don't remember. I can't remember thinking much of anything about her. I was thinking more, "Wow, the production values on this show look really, really good!" and wishing I had a better TV than the crappy hotel room TV I was stuck with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
As for this second question, I'd have to quote Yot-chan, here, and say I didn't "think much of anything about her" until the scene with Cathy. Good enough, now?
Good enough.

<sigh> Nobody but me cared about the "strawberry pie-wa!", it seems.
Old 2010-10-21, 02:41   Link #187
magnuskn

*edit* double post.
Old 2010-10-21, 02:48   Link #188
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Good enough.

Did you fall in love with Edgar in Macross Zero when he sleepily said, "Mac Burger...," too?
Old 2010-10-21, 03:13   Link #189
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Did you fall in love with Edgar in Macross Zero when he sleepily said, "Mac Burger...," too?
Tsk. Comparing our Empress to some dude. Weak, weak, weak.

For a first impression, that first shot of Sheryl was perfect. That she later on in the episode showed some bad impulses was quite unfortunate. I really began to like Sheryl again in episode three, too.
Old 2010-10-21, 03:41   Link #190
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Can a guy even be tsun?
You'll find your answer if you watch/read Nodame Cantabile.

Quote:
So have you totally ignored me mentioning it about 3 times since we rewatched the first episode?
Old 2010-10-21, 03:42   Link #191
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
So have you totally ignored me mentioning it about 3 times since we rewatched the first episode?
Ah, sorry. I fear I overlooked it.
Old 2010-10-21, 03:46   Link #192
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Ah, sorry. I fear I overlooked it.
It's cool, i mean you've been pretty devoted to having your original question about Sheryl answered, so i can see why'd you miss it
Old 2010-10-21, 04:03   Link #193
magnuskn

Yeah, I finally got what I hoped for.
Old 2010-10-21, 04:57   Link #194
Westlo
Lets be reality

I liked that Sheryl was bitchy, it's a bit sad as the series progressed she lost her edge, loved her parting shot @ Alto @ the end of 3. And Alto totally came off as a annoying dick when he was ranting.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 20:07   Link #195
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I guess I'll start this week off.
Spoiler for Episode Two:

And <3 Sheryl.

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2010-10-23 at 09:50. Reason: Typos from Android removed.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 02:51   Link #196
magnuskn

No spoiler caps necessary, DragoZERO.

Quote:
Sheryl has an awesome lingerie collection.
I'm sure Alto will come to appreciate that. Although maybe Grace stole it for herself later on in the series?

Quote:
And once again...how did.they.survive going into space like that?
You don't die immediately from decompression, as far as I know.

---

So, here’s my main contribution to this weeks’s episode.

00:30 – What exactly was the goal of flying to the center of the galaxy?

00:47 – Damn, Ozma’s Valkyrie squatting down in Gerwalk mode looks awesome.

02:35 – The battle looks awesome, but I’d wish they would have brought out the music piece playing here in the complete collection. It’s also awesome.

03:40 – Woooow, just wow! This battle sequence just looks terrific.

04:20 – I am always impressed how human-like the pilots handle the Valkyries by just manipulating their sticks. To be honest, the “thinking caps” from RoboTech made more sense to me, but then again I am an old BattleTech player, so their similarity to neurohelmets of course made more sense to me than just mechanical fine manipulation.

05:10 – Another amazing sequence, as Alto races up the skyscraper in the soon-to-be-his Valkyrie.

06:05 – Why didn’t we see this connection tether ever be used again?

07:00 – I never fully got why Ranka began calling Alto “Onii-chan” at that moment. Was she so shocked out of her mind that she just couldn’t distinguish Alto anymore from Ozma ( or Brera ^^)? Or was that foreshadowing of what the relationship between Alto and her was going to be?

07:08 – Really, Kawamori? Did we really need an “accidental breast grab” scene here?

07:20 – Oh, so it was so that the Victor type Vajra would get distracted? Okay, another dose of foreshadowing that Rankas voice affects the Vajra counts as necessary plot development. But, really, accidental breast grab? Psssssh.

07:40 – And this exact scene here, with Ozmas Valkyrie smeared in Vajra blood, is the one which was shown when, much later on, Luca and Leon were telling Sheryl about her exact condition. Which still leads me to believe that what they meant then was “you need copious amounts of blood exposure to get infected”.

08:30 – Man, I didn’t notice before that the early THORA episodes had so many translation snafus. “Vajula”? “Zentrant”? Eh, I still like their phrasing otherwise.

08:40 – Ranka looks like a ten year old girl here, with the giant dress and Alto towering over her. Oh, well, they weren’t building up any romantic tension at this point.

08:55 – And here’s one of the reasons to like Alto: He’s really self-concious and recognizes that he and Ranka survived due to Gilliams sacrifice.

09:30 – And while he kinda loses it here, he does so in a very believable manner and it he doesn’t emo out. I think he recognizes his part in the massive destruction surrounding him.

10:50 – I’d really like to know what the rationing exactly looks like. There are several levels, but we never get to know what they entail.

11:40 – LOL at some student saying “Did he do something again?” while Alto gets hauled off by the military.

12:00 – Man, they did use some limited animation for the characters in this scene. ^^

12:33 – Why does Ranka get all the weird facial expressions?

14:00 – Cathy is a lying bitch here.

14:22 – The military guys are quite fast in pointing guns at somebody.

15:10 – Heh, Ozma has Altos number, alright.

15:30 – Those giant hangar doors are way cool.

15:50 – Looking back at ep 1, the exact scene shown here, of the earring flying off Sheryls ear into Altos Ex-Gear, is not something I could find. Oh, well.

16:32 – I’d really like to know the details of Sheryls “nationality”. Her writing in French points towards a European background, but then again she’s the granddaughter of Mao, and IIRC the people on the Mayan island also spoke French.

17:00 – “Chance meetings” are somewhat overused, but hey, it was destiny.

18:12 – The first real scene for the bridge crew. I like them all and wish we'd get some side-materials about them in the future. Especially Bobby, of course.

19:05 – And thus Ozma began the proud tradition of Alto getting punched/slapped in the face.

19:23 – Sheryl is kinda basking in Rankas adoration, but she already shows a much better and more likeable side. I wonder how y’all felt about her in this scene, after the unfavourable reception in episode one.

19:45 – Ranka's really impossibly cute in this scene here. I’d wish they’d developed her more along that line instead of going for total self-absorbtion.

21:00 - The whole scene of Ranka singing Diamond Crevasse and Sheryl joining in, while the SMS guys and the Vajra fly towards each other, is really well done.

21:30 – Okay, why exactly do the security guys at SMS throw Alto out on the street, when Ozma tells them to put him into the “safe area”? Tsk. Oh, well, destiny and plot requirements, I guess.

21:45 – Hey, you got to give Sheryl that she knows how to give someone a great moment, even if at that point you didn’t like her.
And thusly end my direct thoughts for this weeks episode.
Old 2010-10-23, 03:54   Link #197
Francismeunier
Banned

Exclamation Episode 2 GIF and avatar requests.

Post away before I see this episode and decide what I want to do. GIFs and any avatar you think I might be able to do.....you can even ask one for your profile of 100k. Request away any ideas such as transformations and character expressions. Last batch was not so bad ne?
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 05:03   Link #198
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

This was the episode back while it was airing that really impressed me in terms of visuals. Yes the first episode was mind blowing, though the Valkyrie action inside the city is serious over kill. You don't get such animation in feature length films, seriously.

Pacing is still top notch. Finishing of the cliffhanger from the first episode, along with featuring content regarding the side characters that made an appearance in the first episode. It's nicely done, especially with the amount of Ozma screentime. :3

Speaking of Ozma...

LET'S GO! Tsukinuke you ze yume de mita yoake ni. Mada mada tooi kedo.
MAYBE dou ni ka naru no sa, Ai ga areba itsudatte. Ore no utau o kikeba.
Kantan na koto sa. Futatsu no HEART CROSS saseru nante...

& i guess i'll carry on the theme from the first episode.

Alto: Hime has issues. Still he's a pretty decent protagonist.
Sheryl: Has hot lingerie. Wouldn't mind seeing more.
Ranka: This. Also we share the same surname, which is awesome.
Ozma: OZMA PUNCH. Keep up the Fire Bomber. Also i'm surprised he hasn't died yet.
Luca: Does't want any candy.
Michael: Oh he'sa sniper. Should have seen that coming.
Cathy: She can take my blood anytime.
Bridge Bunnies: They're adorable.

Quote:
I guess Sheryl getting lost moe?
Sheryl being frustrated because she can't find the ear ring while throwing clothes all around the room is moe.

Also do away with those spoiler tags. They're not needed there.

Incoming Nanase image posted by Yot-chan.
Old 2010-10-23, 06:58   Link #199
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

NANASE WATCH 2010 (episode 2):
Stalking is such sweet sorrow...

There she is...Miss Frontier...

Another lovely day...

Oops, I think she just saw me, hiding out in the manhole in front of her...

Rain...?

Ah. You didn't notice the demolished bridge until you were almost RIGHT UNDER IT. I love observant girls...

Nanase's got her mind on loftier things than the latest gossip...

...until the soldiers come in, that is. HELLO SAILOR!!!
Old 2010-10-23, 08:10   Link #200
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I dare to think what Yot-chan is going to do when we come across an episode that has no Nanase.

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch