AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-13, 12:40   Link #101
Shadow_Scythe
Piercer of Heavens

Send a message via MSN to Shadow_Scythe
The finale was what can I say EPIC, I say it was on par with the original and had its own charm that I could enjoy it in a brand new light, the speech was perfect and I'm glad they kept the tengen toppa bit in, also anti-spiral's voice was awesome, it sort of had that intellectual yet calm insane feel to it, especially with the nonononononono bit.
Old 2008-11-14, 00:48   Link #102
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Ha and I actually disliked the Anti-Spiral's dub voice. He didn't sound creepy enough to me.

Although overall I thought the dub was very good I give it an 8/10.

In the end I think my favorite dub voices were Yoko, Genome, Viral and Leeron out of main characters.

Although I was very pleased for the most part with Simon and Nia as well.
somethins wrong with you then, His voice was perfect for a "I saved the world all psyco like" person?

what did you want him to sound like, a demon?
Old 2008-11-14, 01:04   Link #103
rpgman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sphere@ View Post
Watched the finale tonight myself..and i believe they did a pretty good job, but what i definitely say is that this series is dvd worthy. I give the english dub a 8.9 =)

It will? Sounds awesome, and since i have'nt even watched the fansubs of this yet..that makes it even better.

-Sphere
Someone said it will air on the 24th instead. I just checked and it is, so Gundam 00 S1 will have two episodes. Gurren Lagann had a good dub and it's just as funny.
Old 2008-11-14, 19:35   Link #104
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
somethins wrong with you then, His voice was perfect for a "I saved the world all psyco like" person?

what did you want him to sound like, a demon?
In your opinion it was perfect in my opinion it was boring compared to the Japanese seiyuu. He did okay in the fighting scenes (his voice was powerful enough) but in the other scenes his performance bored me.

Something isn't wrong with someone just because they have a different opinion from you.
Old 2008-11-14, 21:21   Link #105
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
In your opinion it was perfect in my opinion it was boring compared to the Japanese seiyuu. He did okay in the fighting scenes (his voice was powerful enough) but in the other scenes his performance bored me.

Something isn't wrong with someone just because they have a different opinion from you.
I was talking about the FIght hehe, but yea he was kinda dull during the boring chatter.
Old 2008-11-15, 18:39   Link #106
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Quote:

Why were you comparing the English voice to the Japanese voice anyway?
Old 2008-11-15, 19:46   Link #107
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post
Why were you comparing the English voice to the Japanese voice anyway?
Because I heard the Japanese version first so it's natural. And just to be clear I am comparing the performance not the voice there is a difference.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2008-11-15 at 22:13.
Old 2008-11-17, 22:58   Link #108
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
Got that right and it is none other than Bridget Hoffman, who is the VA to have a wide range and selection of voices (makes it very hard to tell what she voices). She also had numerous aliases to go by and she's probably paid very well compared to other VAs. Watched 21 and 22 on Sci-Fi and it is awesome. Hadn't watch much due to work, but the series is pretty funny and interesting.
I actually just found out a minute ago that she was voicing the older Nia after looking through ANN's page. I remember back when it started airing thinking that Hoffman would have been great for the part.

I'm so far behind on the show. It's all sitting on my DVR. Nia hasn't even shown up yet from what I've watched. Now I feel the need to start catching up tonight.
Old 2008-11-18, 08:03   Link #109
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I watched the last episode today. I thought it was very well done, though I still prefer the japanese audio. However Simon, Nia, Lord Genome, and Viral were my favorites. I thought they carried the episode very well. The anti-spiral gets an honorable mention for being a good emotionless all-knowing all-powerful sounding bad guy, just like he should be.

All in all, 8/10.
Old 2008-11-19, 23:29   Link #110
RisArk

Commander Amaro as the Anti-Spiral sounded cool to me.
Old 2009-05-01, 16:26   Link #111
Ender!
Spiral

Send a message via AIM to Ender! Send a message via MSN to Ender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAjF_g2GF34

This is why Japanese > English when it comes to anime voice acting.
Old 2009-05-05, 22:51   Link #112
Yokai

I don't know. The dub translations had me a bit aggravated at times. "It's a GIANT WATER PUDDLE!" Really? "Water Puddle?" Puddle alone would have sufficed. There were more, I just can't remember them all. That one is just one I have seen recently, so it is the first one I can think of right off the top of my head. Translations were a big problem in this shows case, and it had the very American anime bad translation example where they un-naturally explain what's happening, and no creativity took place in translating. Worst of it all, rather than using some liberties in translating the show, they translated it literally to the point where things were abrupt and to the point, which works well with the Japanese language, but sounds ridiculous in English.

Dayakka's voice was kind of annoying. Kamina's voice didn't suit the role when it comes to pitch. Simon's voice was good. Nia's voice at the beginning was a little annoying, but after the VA stopped trying to sound like a little girl, it sounded much better and less annoying. Kittan's voice was great, but I felt that times where there were emotion were underacted on his part. Over all, the Dub suffers 2 things that make it inferior to the Japanese VO.

1) Voice audio mixing was odd compared to the original VOs.
2) Over-acting or Under-acting, compared to the Japanese version. Japan has the same problem with their live action movies, people either over act situations or underact them. Especially noticeable when they are acting in a way that is outside their own culture.

Overall, it was a nice attempt, but fell short. Not to mention that Sci-fi channel did things to it such as removing time used in scenes to transition smoothly, removing scenes to fit commercials into the show, removed eyecatches, sped-up beginning that wasn't consistent (anybody with the musics rhythm in mind will notice this. Sometimes, during the beggining, Sci-fi channel sped up and slowed down the beginning in RANDOM intervals, rather than keeping it consistent.) and poor choice for commmercial breaks. Adult swim REALLY would have been a better venue.
Old 2009-05-06, 22:29   Link #113
Poey
The Jelly Jam

Send a message via AIM to Poey Send a message via MSN to Poey
^^ I agree with the screwy Sci-fi channel stuff, that was sort of frustrating to watch. However I think I really liked the English dub aside from Kamina not being powerful enough and young Simon. The rest were all great.
Old 2009-07-07, 20:24   Link #114
Quiotu

First off let me say that the comparison between English and Japanese voice tracks I'll always find a little silly. They're not done the same, they're not translated the same, their importance in pop culture is ENTIRELY different... like one better than the other, but comparisons are pointless.

My thoughts on the voice talent as a whole:

Steve Blum - Awesome. Not since Jamie in Megas XLR have I seen him portray such an Anti-Steve-Blum role. I swear he does this sometimes just to screw with his fanbase.

Yuri and Johnny playing rivals again. The two work well together, and I respect them both heavily as actors. Though I'd like to see these two do separate work on occasion.

I was a bit concerned when I saw that Donatello the Ninja Turtle was portraying Viral, but he performed admirably. One of the better jobs in the series.

Yuri and Kyle were perfect for Simon and Kamina, respectively. If you're going to have two main characters that scream half their lines, you better get actors that are used to it. Kyle's Dragon Ball Z experience came in handy here.
Old 2009-08-13, 02:32   Link #115
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiotu View Post
First off let me say that the comparison between English and Japanese voice tracks I'll always find a little silly. They're not done the same, they're not translated the same, their importance in pop culture is ENTIRELY different... like one better than the other, but comparisons are pointless.

My thoughts on the voice talent as a whole:

Steve Blum - Awesome. Not since Jamie in Megas XLR have I seen him portray such an Anti-Steve-Blum role. I swear he does this sometimes just to screw with his fanbase.

Yuri and Johnny playing rivals again. The two work well together, and I respect them both heavily as actors. Though I'd like to see these two do separate work on occasion.

I was a bit concerned when I saw that Donatello the Ninja Turtle was portraying Viral, but he performed admirably. One of the better jobs in the series.

Yuri and Kyle were perfect for Simon and Kamina, respectively. If you're going to have two main characters that scream half their lines, you better get actors that are used to it. Kyle's Dragon Ball Z experience came in handy here.
I agree completely. Especially with Steve Blum. When I heard his lispy Leeron voice for the first time it blew me away. It's probably the strangest performance of his I've ever heard.

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Old 2009-08-30, 15:22   Link #116
qwertyuiopz

the dub was actually really good ;o
Old 2009-09-01, 21:33   Link #117
TamaNeko

Who voiced the Antispiral in the english dub? He almost sounds like one of the protoss in Starcraft.
Closed Thread