Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-29, 14:08   Link #101
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

(Yamato on ice? As in an ice skating version? I think there use to be one of those in the later 1980s and such. Now if you are talking about Yamato the ship being under ice, well I think you are talking about the wrong project as that happened in a different movie.)
yeah i meant this one (bit hurried when i type that question sorry).

is it because certain war or what. why do they still keep it one ice?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 14:25   Link #102
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well the first time they did that they were refitting Yamato someplace an enemy wouldn't find it. The second time it was a memorial....until it was needed again. Then got a massive reconstruction to make it usable (might have been a second Space Battleship Yamato if the storyline from Yamato 2520 is correct, in that each Yamato is built from the wreckage of the previous one. Much like how Space Battleship Yamato was built from the wreckage of the Imperial Japanese Navy Battleship Yamato).

Yamato is not under ice in Space Battleship Yamato 2199. At least not yet. She is partly buried in what use to be the sea floor. The East China Sea, where Yamato sank on April 7, 1945.
Old 2012-02-29, 15:13   Link #103
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so you saying that space yamato is once real yamato?

how do they get it fly?

Old 2012-02-29, 15:24   Link #104
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wave Motion Engine.
(or magic)
And wings...can't forget the wings....

They might explain it better in the new anime. I think it has something to do with the capsule/message from Iscandar. Also it is debated if it is the battleship Yamato, or if it was just built right below the old wreck. Again the new anime might shed some light on that, since in the old version it looks like they built the new ship inside the rusted wreck of the old ship. The Star Blazers dub suggests it is the old ship reconstructed as a Space Battleship. Even going so far as to mention that the area where the ship's computer is use to be the officer's quarters when she was a naval vessel.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-29 at 15:52.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 16:07   Link #105
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
so you saying that space yamato is once real yamato?

how do they get it fly?
They bassically took the wreckackage...and pretty much rebuilt the entire ship using an entirely different design. Stuck anti gravity thingies, the wave motion thingy, space guns, space floors, space lockers, etc.

When you think about how much they'd have to had to replace outright, there actually seems very little pragmatic reason to try to build the ship based on an old mid 20th century ship wreck

Quote:
Wave Motion Engine.
(or magic)
And wings...can't forget the wings....

They might explain it better in the new anime. I think it has something to do with the capsule/message from Iscandar. Also it is debated if it is the battleship Yamato, or if it was just built right below the old wreck. Again the new anime might shed some light on that, since in the old version it looks like they built the new ship inside the rusted wreck of the old ship. The Star Blazers dub suggests it is the old ship reconstructed as a Space Battleship. Even going so far as to mention that the area where the ship's computer is use to be the officer's quarters when she was a naval vessel.
I recall the exterior of the Old Yamato crumbling apart as they were preparing to launch. So it sounds like they really more scavenged her internals for material and spare part for a completely different design.

Also, Megane is voiced by Ami's voice actress from Sailor moon? Awesome.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 16:29   Link #106
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One comic suggested that they plugged the capsule into the wave mation engine and it basically reformated the wreckage at the subatomic level into a space battleship with the same basic shape of the former battleship. It doesn't quite make sense as the ship is clearly new on the bottom when it is seen, yet the top looks like a rusty wreck. Also if one sees the two together, the ships are only superficially the similar. Though the new CGI model is different from the 1974 version of Yamato in places.

Maybe it was just to fool the Gamilons while they built it.

Though they still have kept to the old view that Yamato sank more or less in one piece....she most definately is not.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-29 at 16:43.
Old 2012-03-01, 01:20   Link #107
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

How many of you preordered the first volume on BD/DVD?
Old 2012-03-01, 04:05   Link #108
GundamFan0083

Quote:
One comic suggested that they plugged the capsule into the wave mation engine and it basically reformated the wreckage at the subatomic level into a space battleship with the same basic shape of the former battleship. It doesn't quite make sense as the ship is clearly new on the bottom when it is seen, yet the top looks like a rusty wreck. Also if one sees the two together, the ships are only superficially the similar. Though the new CGI model is different from the 1974 version of Yamato in places.

Maybe it was just to fool the Gamilons while they built it.

Though they still have kept to the old view that Yamato sank more or less in one piece....she most definately is not.
I could be wrong on this, but I recall (in one of the old Animag issues) an interview with Yoshinobu Nishizaki where he said that the rusted hulk was intended as camouflage for the space battleship that was originally being built as an Earth evacuation vessel. So the reason the old Yamato crumbles away is because it was simply a ruse to fool the Gamilas into thinking it was nothing but old junk.
The Gamilas spacecraft carrier Captain even remarks in ep 2 or 3: "Our target wasn't and underground Earth city....it's a space battleship...the biggest I've ever seen... [Dessler]: Blow it to pieces captain...[carrier explodes from Yamato's shock cannons]."

Thus I think the story is safe in portraying a "fake" rusty hulk of the old Yamato on the dead ocean floor as cover for what is really being built beneath it.
Old 2012-03-01, 16:36   Link #109
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If I could be sure the DVD/BD had English subtitles I would buy them. Otherwise I will have to wait for something else.

And while it is a remake, and I know the story and many of the lines....they will eventually throw something at us that will require translation. In fact there are details that could easily be missed if not translated (though best guess it that they'll ignore some details...again, for story flow).
Old 2012-03-03, 17:23   Link #110
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

http://www.jefusion.com/2012/03/spac...episode-1.html

Old 2012-03-06, 14:59   Link #111
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if that will get out to those that can't see those channels?

(This is the Internet....of course it will get out.)

The hope is that the first episode will show a good amount of the Battle at Pluto as the trailer indicates. It was a decent section of the first episode back in 1974. Not the whole of it since they needed to introduce the main characters, deliver the message, and introduce the idea that Yamato is coming. If they the second episode ends around the Yamato's launch and the Giant Missile attack, they will be condensing the original second and third episodes into one episode. As we see parts from both in the trailer the Gamilon fighters attacking the wreck of the Yamato and of course the Giant Missile attack. I imagine they will cut some of the ship tour and some of the background description of how Yamato sank to get that time back. Perhaps cut a little of Analyser's antics...but then he's going to have more women to pester...and a new nurse in a skirt to perv over. I'll probably have to go over those three episodes again to see what they could cut realistically. Just cutting those thing also means they have more time for other stuff later on. Stuff they might cut or half assed in 1974 due to budget and time.

Notes on the original:

The Battle of Pluto, in all its parts, was just over six minutes of the first episode, with the Iscandaran ship crash and recovery taking about three minutes in the middle of it.

Then we get the return to Earth, some talk and character introductions ending with the introduction of probably the most important character of the series at the end of the episode....Yamato herself.

I can see why they are adding "Captain Gideon" into this. The Earth Commander was very poorly drawn in these episodes and can be replaced by someone else easily.

From Episodes Two and Three:
Removing the 1945 backstory scene and ending of episode two (about six minutes of material) and going for the Giant Missile story and the rest of the crew mght work, especially if they skip the double introduction to the ship in both episodes. I suppose they might use the enemy fighter attack to introduce the Black Tigers. Not sure about Yamato vs the Space Carrier, they might skip it for going right to the Giant Missile like they did for the 1977 theatrical version of the series. Or they will move from the carrier right to the Missile while Yamato gets the rest of the crew settled and the Main Engine working? (Episode three starts with the Gamilon reaction to the carrier's destruction originally followed by the Giant Missile launching) Skip things like the parade and the ship's tour which is some eight or so minutes. Plus cutting the "story so far" bits cuts another two to four minutes...So with all that and a few tightening up of scenes (removing long instances of where nothing is happening, or overly long establishing shots), they should be able to make the first three episodes into two episodes. Some of the introductions and tours can be handled in future episodes as they go out. Better to show action in the first two to hook people, then show off the inside of the ship as we get to know the rest of the crew.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-03-07 at 04:11. Reason: How they can cut three down to two.
Old 2012-03-10, 15:59   Link #112
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Random thoughs and things I've learned:

The two guys in black on grey uniforms appear to be Yamato's Security Force.

Before it was just the Black Tigers (gold on black) and Kodai's Combat Units (red on white). And later sometimes attached marines.

Because Yamato has Security now...I wonder if they will try to add in the Gamilon infultrator storyline (a Gamilon female assassin I guess). It was in some form of the manga and was short, so only one episode or hints of it in one episode and resolution in another.

Rewatching the whole of the 1974 series I find only a few episodes they can cut that wouldn't harm either the main plotline or cut significant character development.

There are two or three where they could alter the setting or scrap the B plot while leaving the B plot intact. There was maybe one or two that were redundant or basically the same conditions with different results, extra plot, or solution mixed in. (two trap episodes, two space storm episodes and two engine trouble episodes (each back to back with their own kind), though the engine trouble at the start makes sense and both times seem vital for the main plot that the ship goes to those locations.) The Beeland episode may or may not be needed, depending on how much they want to characterize the robot...and which ever female they send on that mission (Yuki before). Maybe the Balanosaurus episode enemy plot line, the human interest story is main plotline material. The other two pre-Balan episodes were character development episodes. After Balan the story pretty much goes to the end, though there is room for the assassin in there I guess.
Old 2012-03-10, 21:04   Link #113
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Of course it's entirely possible that while maintaining the general plot of the old series, they've rewritten it to have different events.

Though I must admit. That one boyish faced kid? I kinda have a hard time imagining him as a real security officer. He looks like a high school freshmen who wandered onto the set and got stuffed into a uniform by accident.
Old 2012-03-10, 21:20   Link #114
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think he's listed as a Warrent Officer.

Though considering the pounding the Earth and the US Space Defense Forces have been getting from Gamilus they might be at the point of sticking people in uniforms (drafting). Maybe he's into martial arts? Or they mistranspated Security? He's boss looks like a snake in the grass you'd usually find in Secret Police types. Though I have no idea why the UN would have those in 2199 when they are fighting aliens for years and most counties have been destroyed/moved underground.

And it is possible they could change the stories between point A and point B as that's all that is "certain". The first episodes will run about the same in all instances becuase it works well. Even the Live Action movie followed it almost exactly to that point. At least in terms of sequence of events.

Though the symbolism was good (the whole "they are just like us/not mosters?" way of thinking), I do hope they don't try to say the crew is surprised at what someone from Gamilus looks like...since they are likely to have had some ground combat at one point or another. That was probably the only time the "their robots" from the Star Blazers dub made things work. Kodai had probably shot at least half a dozen to a dozen of them by then, Even had at least one instance were they would have time to recover the bodies for examination. Plus considering the technology the Earth has at the start, they had to capture Gamilus equipment from time to time to copy it...and that means either wreckage (bodies) or raiding enemy outposts (again bodies).
Old 2012-03-15, 09:09   Link #115
YF19EX

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...e-english-subs

Crud, now I will have to look for the bluray while I'm in Tokyo. Yay for subs!
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 12:40   Link #116
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...e-english-subs

Crud, now I will have to look for the bluray while I'm in Tokyo. Yay for subs!
Great news. I'll make sure to preorder myself a copy on cdjapan.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:56   Link #117
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well that's different.

(Now I might have to get a BD player)
Old 2012-03-15, 13:12   Link #118
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Wait, so the original Japanese release is going to be coming out with english subtitles?

That's actually pretty smart, having the subs be available that quickly right off the bat.
Old 2012-03-15, 13:21   Link #119
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Would that be Yamato in the lead again on something? (I doubt it. Though since I don't follow release all that often, the last project that I know of that has pretty much instant English subtitles was the Haruhi-chan Youtube series back in early 2009.)
Old 2012-03-15, 14:01   Link #120
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Would that be Yamato in the lead again on something? (I doubt it. Though since I don't follow release all that often, the last project that I know of that has pretty much instant English subtitles was the Haruhi-chan Youtube series back in early 2009.)
English subtitles on a Japanese release is no stranger. It's been happening for quite a while now. It's just rare when it does happen.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato