AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku!! (2nd Season) - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 15 18.07%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 30.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 31.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 13.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 7.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-04, 10:21   Link #41
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

It needed more outrageous humor in the beginning, and I wanted to see more internal monologues with Hayate, but otherwise it was a nice episode. Nice to see a lot of the manga jokes and scenes are kept, though. I wanted to see the money thing, and they kind of hand-waved Himuro. Also, they should have stopped the music when Hayate mentioned they were on the suspension bridge.

Ah, Hinagiku bridge scene!
Old 2009-04-04, 10:50   Link #42
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
I didn't think the second season was licensed,doesnt say so on wiki atleast.

But theyve figured out the grandsecret of Hayate:

More Hina = More Ratings

EDIT: Looking back at the chapters, they skipped a joke about going easy in some races with Hinagiku in the clock tower. I thought it was incredibly funny, so I dont know why they skipped it, uonless they plan a similar joke with her in the future.

Last edited by alu546; 2009-04-04 at 14:50.
Old 2009-04-04, 11:21   Link #43
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
I didn't think the second season was licensed,doesnt say so on wiki atleast.

But theyve figured out the grandsecret of Hayate:

More Hina = More Ratings
Well Crunchyroll is releasing the videos for free legally on their site, so it is considered licensed.
Old 2009-04-04, 14:52   Link #44
Neogen
White Wind

Send a message via AIM to Neogen
Hmm, I'm just gonna throw my opinion out there then. (And yes, I'm new XD)

I did like the old animation, but I find that as long as it's not horrid, each style of animation has its flaws and benefits. I don't see a problem big enough to make a fuss over it.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was pretty good. Though the race itself seemed rushed. It was definately made to be an intro episode. If it was going to be done with all the details, they would need at least another half episode. It wasn't a bad episode overall. I'm looking forward to the next one.

A topic you all seem to be discussing a lot is the OP and ED. The OP was alright. The first half seemed to over-emphasize, but the second half seemed well paced and used more characters and such. As for the ending, let me just say that I really like Hinagiku to start. Some anime have totally emphasized 1 character in the endings/openings because they will be really important soon (Such as Orihime in the 6th opening of bleach. She didn't consume the opening, but she was highly emphasized.) Hinagiku will become very important soon, at least, I think she is (I have read the manga up to ch. 130). While perhaps a little much, the ending is perfectly fine with me.
Old 2009-04-04, 15:29   Link #45
Dr. Casey

Let's see... my thoughts...

1. I love the opening song. Wonder Wind took a couple of listens for it to grow on me (I generally don't care for music very much the first time I hear it for some reason), but damn has it ever grown. Hayate no Gotoku has a great track record for opening songs; I've enjoyed all three of them a great deal, though Wonder Wind's my favorite at the moment since I've listened the other two to death. The melancholy parts with Hinagiku and Nishizawa are very nice, though my favorite segment has to be the cast flying through space. Sakuya looks awful stylish and at ease for being thrust through the solar system. Yeah, much love for Wonder Wind.

2. I couldn't help but notice that Hayate's a Scorpio. I don't think that guy's got a Scorpio bone in his body. ... well, maybe. The cruelty with Hina on the bridge was surprisingly meanspirited. It was one of the best parts of the episode, though. Hinagiku abuse is fun, especially when it involves Ayasaki uncharacteristically being a jerk.

3. I'm starting to care for Miki a bit; for a long time she was the single character in the series I found myself most indifferent to. Their little group as a whole is pretty endearing. Izumi will always be my favorite, though. Her smartass line to Saki about the second place runner being in second was classic.

4. We jumped back a long ways with this episode. The first season covered around a year and a half, now Hayate's only been a butler for a month.

5. "Don't be stupid! The human body isn't meant for running!" Ah, Nagi. Thanks for reminding us of why you're the best.

6. ... Himuro's 17 and Nonohara's 18? Wait, what? 27 and 28 would make sense, but their official ages... damn you, Hayate no Gotoku. I thought you were different from other anime. I thought your characters matched their respective ages. The show makes Maria out to seem mature for her age (And she is, most certainly), but that's nothing compared to these two sure-as-hell-shouldn't-be-teenagers.

7. The ending is slightly heavy-handed with the Hina promotion, but whatever. She was shortchanged in the previous season and she deserves the attention.

8. We need some Sorrow-Kun and Echoes up in here. It would suck if the active participants for the first season disappeared on us.

J.C. Staff's approach to Hayate does seem slightly more serious than Synergy's, but that makes no difference to me. I think I might've liked the series' serious elements more than its comedic, honestly. Great episode deserving of a solid 8, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2014-01-30 at 06:00.
Old 2009-04-04, 17:34   Link #46
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
J.C. Staff's approach to Hayate does seem slightly more serious than Synergy's, but that makes no difference to me. I think I might've liked the series' serious elements more than its comedic, honestly. Great episode deserving of a solid 8, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.
Yep. To my great pleasure they're now on the manga track, and they seem to stick with it. The downside: These more serious parts will have less wackiness and zaniness. But the major upside: The show will gain more depth and something nearly unknown from S1: Character development. Yeah. This thing when people change over time, and this change isn't wiped out by the beginning of the next episode. It will also have one more novelty: A continuous storyline. Like, what happens in episode B is a continuation of what happened in episode A, and it will follow up logically in C. Really alien concepts.

I believe that what a friend of mine said is probably true: As long as the show remained at the prominent saturday morning kiddie matinee spot, they decided to avoid the "serious" parts, since they required a string of episodes not designed for their target audience. Now that alot of the manga fillers are gone, I wouldn't be surprised if they now went through all "left out" chapters in sequence. And if they do, we're in for really good stuff
Old 2009-04-04, 18:07   Link #47
Fandal

Did Isumi's VA change? Her voice sounded more, garbled.
Old 2009-04-05, 03:46   Link #48
9taileddemon

I almost started to cry during the beginning of the episode.

HAYATE IS BACK! YESSSSSSS!

Instant ten for me because it was an amusing episode and first episode of second episode.

I actually liked the OP. Sure it wasn't as wacky as the first season but I think that will be pretty common for this whole season. They used up most of the filler chapters last time around so there will be a lot more serious arcs. Also, I liked during the OP where Maria appears, then Hayate appears, and then as if to piss of all MariaxHayate fans they have Nishizawa, Hinagiku, and Nagi appear next to Hayate. I don't know why but it made me chuckle.

I was impressed at how well they were able to stuff all of the main characters into the episode. And it was amusing how Hayate even mentioned that at the end of the episode.

Only two complaints from me and they are minor. I wanted to see the scene where Klaus bribes Himuro. I love that scene in the manga. I also think Miki looks a little strange. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is but I feel she looks the most different in my eyes. Or maybe I am just being insane. Probably the case actually.

And the ED just made me roar with laughter. People are finally being tricky and using Hinagiku's popularity properly. I am however happy that it was not just Hinagiku, they also had the three idiots who are just plain silly. Having them join in the song was also clever. Cute expressions FTW
Old 2009-04-05, 09:52   Link #49
mouhitori

If they are really reducing the gags and have more story, that's really good news.
While the start of the first season was great, for some reason it stopped becoming interesting after a while.

The new season's opening is pretty good too. Maybe people are disappointed as they are expecting a Kotoko-esque music...
For the ending it's surprisingly enjoyable too, despite the character song feel to it...

Some screenshots for those interested. I actually don't feel there is a big difference in character design, but haven't seen the first season for a while now ><.
Old 2009-04-05, 11:14   Link #50
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Something is missing.

The narration is not there.
It's there but, In comparison with S1, it was almost always popped out every single damn stupid, jabbable situation. Almost like reading the viewer's mind
Maybe a spoiler, in the manga I recall the narration is there too, jabbing at every possible situation.
Missing this, and turned out to be a big turnoff for me -sigh-

But I guess it's a trade off for actually advancing the story?

Old 2009-04-05, 12:03   Link #51
9taileddemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
Something is missing.

The narration is not there.
It's there but, In comparison with S1, it was almost always popped out every single damn stupid, jabbable situation. Almost like reading the viewer's mind
Maybe a spoiler, in the manga I recall the narration is there too, jabbing at every possible situation.
Missing this, and turned out to be a big turnoff for me -sigh-

But I guess it's a trade off for actually advancing the story?
This episode probably didn't have the time for too much narration.

I bet some of the other episodes will have more of the narration.

Remember, you cannot judge an entire season by its first episode.
Old 2009-04-05, 15:57   Link #52
Divini
Senpai!

So I noticed Klaus saying "It's been a month since you started working here"... but the first season, I swear the events have taken longer than a year

I know they're really trying to follow the manga but that is a bit much....
Old 2009-04-05, 16:27   Link #53
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
w00t w00t, a bit complicated where we are in the timeline, same with FMA S2, they should have met Hughes at a different point of time, but well, it works out rather nicely in both animes.

Too bad they just skipped the entire marathon arc into a single ep :S, i´m rlly rlly rooting for 52 eps again, but it prolly won´t be happening
Old 2009-04-05, 16:40   Link #54
Xacual

Well I think the first season just really skipped around so they could make lots of varied episodes. The manga slowly progresses in time and occasionally it will say how long its been since Hayate started working. A month fits in with the manga and when this race did take place. I guess you should probably just ignore the time that passed in the first season and focus on what this season tells you.

I liked that this season is looking like it will follow the manga much closer. I was actually really surprised that the race was the first episode though, running start much?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2009-04-05, 19:45   Link #55
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
This episode probably didn't have the time for too much narration.

I bet some of the other episodes will have more of the narration.

Remember, you cannot judge an entire season by its first episode.
It'll depend on the manga. It seems they aren't straying too far from the manga, so the amount of narration in the episode will depend on the amount of narration in the manga [I can't wait for the potted plant comment].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
So I noticed Klaus saying "It's been a month since you started working here"... but the first season, I swear the events have taken longer than a year

I know they're really trying to follow the manga but that is a bit much....
They're throwing out most of the first season. If you've noticed, they said Hayate was 16, and he's 17 when the first season's over.
Old 2009-04-05, 22:42   Link #56
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

I really like how this series start by following the manga. The only thing I don't like is that they omit the
Spoiler for scene:
scene in th manga cuz that's one of the scene I found most entertaining in the race. But all in all, good animation quality. Expecting to see more in the future ^^
Old 2009-04-05, 23:36   Link #57
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
Correct. Episode 40 marks the one year point, and in episode 52 it's stated that it's been one year since the new school year started. I dunno when the school year begins for Hakuo Academy, but I figure it ends up being around a year and a half.
Old 2009-04-06, 03:01   Link #58
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
"Hentai! Ijiwaru!"
LOL this part was funny... but wasn't that part a bit out of character for Hayate?

禁則事項です
Old 2009-04-06, 03:44   Link #59
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Not especially. Hayate would do an awful lot for Nagi, obviously this included. In the first season, he brought out that machine gun against Gilbert's mecha, as well, if you recall. (This sequence, at the end of the whole 'transfer to Isumi' thing, was in the manga if you're not aware.)

In both cases, though I think the line was cut here, Hayate says he'd become a demon...if it was for Nagi's sake.
Old 2009-04-06, 19:15   Link #60
Fandal

The Hina ending by itself was just ok. I'm not even sure what Hina was doing at the ending because I was being distracted by the trio. Whoever added them to the ending was a genius. They are hilarious. Adding them to the ending made this one funny ending. Hayate sure knows how to turn something serious into something hilarious.
Closed Thread