AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-07-27, 00:32   Link #161
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
even if half the game end up like disc 2 Xenogears?
Look at it this way, they can use FF7 polygons for all I care. I am just sick of SE spending all their money on graphics. In FFXII the game even tried to impress me by telling me how many individual bricks are in the capital city. I was more interested in them fixing the story, give customisation to the Licence system, and have other major cities.

What do SE think they are making? MYST? Get the gameplay finished first!
Old 2012-07-27, 02:49   Link #162
leokiko

SE will, sadly, spend mostly on graphics, period. You can easily tell that by the CEO's comment itself. He commented only about "the city in today’s presentation".

JRPG with great gameplay/characters and crappy graphics on Japan these days = Tales of. series
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 04:49   Link #163
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
In FFXII the game even tried to impress me by telling me how many individual bricks are in the capital city. I was more interested in them fixing the story, give customisation to the Licence system, and have other major cities.
I thought FFXII was a fantastic game, myself. Probably the best in the series.
If Versus delivers the same level of exploration and worldbuilding, I'll be very happy. It won't, but if it did, I would be happy.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 05:16   Link #164
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
SE will, sadly, spend mostly on graphics, period. You can easily tell that by the CEO's comment itself. He commented only about "the city in today’s presentation".

JRPG with great gameplay/characters and crappy graphics on Japan these days = Tales of. series
Tales in my view had always got the better written characters and gameplay design especially Jade in Tales of Abyss and Yuri in Tales of Vesperia. You just can't get any cooler cats than those two XD

Though Auron in FFX was a cool customer.
Old 2012-07-27, 06:02   Link #165
Bambasa
Lazy to the extreme

Quote:

Maybe that's because he thinks Westerner like games with good graphics? Certainly doesn't surprise me about that.
Bambasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 07:01   Link #166
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
If Versus delivers the same level of exploration and worldbuilding, I'll be very happy. It won't, but if it did, I would be happy.
I guess I was just focused on the gameplay. The License Grid was uninspiring and had to be fixed via special edition. The characters are essentially identical with each other. Summons were useless. Ninja Swords were useless because SE didn't finish Dual Welding. And finally randomised chests that require me to reboot the machine.

I play FF as a game, not a visual novel.
Old 2012-07-27, 07:31   Link #167
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

If SE continue on the "amazing graphics/crap gameplay" route for FF, I don't see the FF franchise surviving much longer.

A lot of people got burned on FFXIII (and let's not even go into FFIV), and XIII-2 didn't prove to be much of an improvement. They're going to keep shedding player base, and their games depend on having multimillion unit sales just to break even. They'll lose to their leaner rivals in Atlus, Namco-bandai, NIS etc.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 08:01   Link #168
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Ninja swords were MOSTLY useless because all of them had the stupid dark element in vanilla FF12, when like quarter of end-game resists/absorbs it and another quarter are undead. I say mostly because the best Ninja Sword was the weapon of choice to take down good ol'Izzy (Masamune wouldn't hit for quad 9), so it wasn't completely useless.

And if anything, FF12 was the least like a visual novel of all the FF's. The main draw wasn't the plot or the characters, but exploring the world and challenging yourself with bosses along the way. Sure license grid being identical wasn't good (thank god for international), and summons were deadweight (then again summons were useless since FF8), but the sheer complexity of the level design and you unable just to 'brute force' a lot of the bosses already had FF12 at the top of my FF list even before I played the international eidtion.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 11:21   Link #169
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
*snip*
I didn't like the license grid either, but you do realize that it allowed you to develop the characters in any way you wanted, right?
Just because they all ended up the same eventually does not mean that they will be that way for the majority of the game.
As for it being a visual novel, as was said, that's... quite an accusation to make.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 13:26   Link #170
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
to each their own. i ended up quitting in the middle and went to replay FF6 with the 8bit graphic.
Old 2012-07-27, 13:42   Link #171
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:

That logic really doesn't follow here, Wada making an off-hand comment about visually impressive city/town/location means nothing other then that. You act as if FF games haven't had great looking towns before or something, plus he's the CEO not a developer. And as of your comment on Tales, you will find many who disagree there.

Continuing a bit on this topic, this false "dichotomy" about "Gameplay vs. Graphics" that has been cropping lately is pretty silly generally speaking. Square's games have always had great graphics and gameplay for whatever era hardware they were in. Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, PSX FFs, FFT, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, FFX, Romancing Saga (PS2) FFX, FFX-2, XII, TWENTY, FFTA2, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, FFXIII-2 and The Last Remnant are one of the many examples of this. The people who have handled the visuals are completely separate those who do game design or script and just because a game looks nice doesn't mean that's were all the budget went and the other design teams were left with nothing.

Using FFXIII as example of Square focus of gameplay over graphics is also pretty poor case since that wasn't the reason why it didn't meet the standards of the previous entries. Even if had been in "8"bit it wouldn't have changed it's problems. Still FFXIII in itself is a decent game with one of the most balanced combat systems in the series.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2012-07-27 at 13:58.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 14:10   Link #172
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
You know what? I don't even care if the game has Playstation 1 Graphics. Just give me a proper Final Fantasy game that is finished. Cut corners on the cutscenes if you have to, but just give me the game content I expect.
You might not, but you can be sure Square Enix does and I think that's part of the whole overarching problem here.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 14:16   Link #173
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
You might not, but you can be sure Square Enix does and I think that's part of the whole overarching problem here.
i think the majority of FF fans agree with Vallen. Which is why SE is bleeding money and FF franchise is losing fans.
Old 2012-07-27, 15:08   Link #174
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

^
Old 2012-07-27, 16:32   Link #175
Iron Maw
Banned

That's just your typical launch teaser trailer. FFXIV 2.0 was actually demoed to the press at E3 and they have already released plenty of in game shots here:
http://www.stage.neogaf.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=477019

There's also a lot of threads details all the current changes as well as future ones. The Dev team is launching the new beta in September.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2012-07-27 at 16:50.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 19:18   Link #176
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm sure it'll look good. The over-arching question is: Is it fun? And is it stable?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 19:20   Link #177
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

and how many people will still be playing after 90 days.
Old 2012-07-27, 20:21   Link #178
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

More than you think. Better than goin back to same ol WoW... wait, no that would be a improvement to Now WoW XD

but back on topic. have they announced any kind of release date?
Old 2012-07-27, 22:38   Link #179
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i have faith in the combat system, since from what had been shown it seems similar if not the same as KH, my hopes of the story its that its finished and not fragmented like in FFXIII, i dont care if they put dlc expanding on the characters, a prologue or an epilogue, at least dont leave things hanging in the air.
Old 2012-07-28, 01:13   Link #180
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambasa View Post
Maybe that's because he thinks Westerner like games with good graphics? Certainly doesn't surprise me about that.
They want to turn FF into action games after all, doesn't surprise me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
That logic really doesn't follow here, Wada making an off-hand comment about visually impressive city/town/location means nothing other then that. You act as if FF games haven't had great looking towns before or something, plus he's the CEO not a developer. And as of your comment on Tales, you will find many who disagree there.
It means that what he thinks that what will "impress us" are the graphics(I'm also basing that on what SE has been doing with the FF franchise over the years i.e FFXIII). He should know that we don't give a damn about that, we want gameplay. If he wanted to get us excited for the game, why not make an comment about it?

About Tales of: There's always someone who disagrees
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote