AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-04-16, 10:36   Link #12221
Desu
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Apparently my main issue is the stock grind. I've noticed that with my last 3 tanks I've been on ~28% win rate while unlocking parts but end up finishing with over 50% win rate.

Now I just need to somehow stick with a single line since I'm nearly at 3000 games and have yet to unlock a tier 8.
Old 2014-04-16, 10:43   Link #12222
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desu View Post
Apparently my main issue is the stock grind. I've noticed that with my last 3 tanks I've been on ~28% win rate while unlocking parts but end up finishing with over 50% win rate.

Now I just need to somehow stick with a single line since I'm nearly at 3000 games and have yet to unlock a tier 8.
That's always the issue when running stock tanks, specially if you are the only high tier and can't contribute s*it because a full upgraded enemy kill you and you can't land a hit with you peashooter ("10 games preferential MM" my ass).

Also... 3000 games is not bad to not have a tier 8 yet, better not to hurry too much with the grind, I was like 6000 games when I got the IS-3.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 10:47   Link #12223
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Has anyone gone down the Japanese line? How is it?
Old 2014-04-16, 10:50   Link #12224
Rias

I just started this and am downloading the client. Any tips for new players?
Old 2014-04-16, 10:54   Link #12225
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigon 13 View Post
"10 games preferential MM" my ass
Yeah this preferential matchmaking for stock tanks is clearly a lie and it's truly unfortunate if anyone actually believes it. When I got the PzIV a couple months back, my first 10 games were ALL tier 7, no exaggeration. Trying to play that thing before unlocking the derp is quite possibly the least fun I have had in this game so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desu View Post

Yeah, don't worry about it. The game isn't a race to top tier, it's much better to know what you're doing before moving up. I'm at 3300 battles and I don't have a tier 8 either (researched IS-3 but did not buy). I don't even feel totally comfortable playing my tier 7s yet so there's no reason for me to move up to 8 and fail there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
I am not good enough to give any actual advice but the absolute most important thing to understand right from the start is that if one enemy can see you, their entire team now knows where you are and can shoot at you even if they couldn't spot you themselves. Wargaming would solve a lot of new players' headaches about getting shot by invisible tanks if they just bothered to clarify this for people.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 11:35   Link #12226
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Has anyone gone down the Japanese line? How is it?
Others have gone further, but it boils down to (up to Tier 7): Good penetration, good ROF, good gun depression with final turrets or anything that's not the Chi-Nu Kai, armor made of shoji panels, not very fast. The Tier 6 and Tier 7 also have the endearing feature of being the size of barns.

The last three tiers, which I haven't gotten to yet, are supposed to be much more competitive with their other medium counterparts.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 11:58   Link #12227
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

Beware of seal clubbing XD.

Also its best to find your niche in WoT, every nation plays differently, and style of play is different for each player. By tier 7 you should know where you want to go in what nation and class.

One important tip is not to rush up tiers. There some youtubers that post some helpful info/tips on how to play, but in the end its all about what suits your own play style.

meh if you still feel like your falling behind, there is always a method of platooning with ppl here if they play on the same server. thinking back on it, I watched the youtube channels SideStrafe and BohemianEagle for tips, I'm sure you'll get some good info on how to play from them, as well as entertainment.
Old 2014-04-16, 11:58   Link #12228
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I'm thinking about checking version 9 out when it gets released. Also, I want to see how the game looks on my nice new pc at work (which we got to handle AutoCAD 2015). I patched the game on my laptop and checked it out this morning and saw that the Japanese line is a lot more fleshed out than I thought. I might give it a try.

I haven't played in months, so I also figured playing tier 1 games might be the way to go until I can get back into the groove.

My coworker Andy is also influencing me by telling me his good game stories.
Old 2014-04-16, 11:59   Link #12229
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Nice to see another Love Live fan in this thread.

As a person with 11,000 battles who considers himself to be good at the game, my first advice for people starting or interested in World of Tanks is to not play World of Tanks.

Images
pic related
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The 15-player teams usually make the gameplay frustrating and stressful more often than fun and satisfying. And by the time you get good enough to influence the battle and win more, you've invested hundreds of hours into the game that could have been used for something more consistently entertaining. It's not worth your time. If you like tanks that go boom, go watch Girls und Panzer or Kelly's Heroes, play a single-player game with tanks, or even read a history book. You can do all of those and more in a tiny fraction of the time required to become good at World of Tanks.

But hey, if you still insist on trying it out, then take the time to learn how the game works. Learn how the battle mechanics work here. Check out this guy's guides. He's not a great player (I'm much better ), but he knows the basics of the game and is good at explaining simple ideas to newcomers. You should read these before you reach tier 6.

Frankly, it's frustrating for experienced players like me to be in the same team with people in tier 10 tanks who don't understand how to play the game at all. Nevertheless, it's a fact that there will always be those people on your team, and part of getting good at this game involves persuading them to help you in your strategy for victory.

Images
these are the people who are on your team

Don't become one of these people. Do the necessary reading and thinking so that you can actually kick butt and influence the battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I am not good enough to give any actual advice but the absolute most important thing to understand right from the start is that if one enemy can see you, their entire team now knows where you are and can shoot at you even if they couldn't spot you themselves. Wargaming would solve a lot of new players' headaches about getting shot by invisible tanks if they just bothered to clarify this for people.
You know, I always took this fact for granted. It's the kind of advice I never see, but it's very useful.

Last edited by Tempester; 2014-04-16 at 12:11.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 15:39   Link #12230
Blaat

Well tried some historic battle, so far my advice is to avoid the Hellcat, freakin' useless without the 90mm. It was actually nice on my Nasshorn, my Nasshorn still has the stock gun but in historic battles it has the best gun equipped so it's a decent way to grind through stock.

Also managed to get a second ace on he M103 today, and the oddest thing happened. I had 7 kills, 20s left on the timer and the final enemy tank (a WZ-130) let himself get killed by me so that I could get the Walters-Radley medal.

edit: forgot to mention the new sound effects are great!
Old 2014-04-16, 17:24   Link #12231
Achiuakuna
Kimo-kimo-ii~

Quote:
Play TDs.        
Achiuakuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 18:49   Link #12232
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Quote:
Go down the russian line all the way to the KV-1 mostly to learn the basics and how to play a heavy tank (also since the KV-1 is a good moneymaker and is very noob friendly). The german heavy line opens the Panther & Tiger lines. The british are suffering since the Churchill 1 is not a good tank for a newbie. The american heavies start unlocks from the M3 Lee, so if you are planning to unlock the M4 & the T1 HT (tier 5 US heavy) you will suffer.

For Medium tanks the US line to the M4 Sherman, one of (if not) the best tier 5 medium tank in the game, however you will suffer with the M3 Lee (as the big mayority of the players did). Germans also have good mediums, the Pz4 is still a good contender at tier 5 even after all its nerfs and it goes down the line to the Tiger, but the Pz3/4 does the same and is faster and agile and it opens the Leopard 1 line. I can't talk about the japanese line 'cause I haven't tested it.

For TDs I recommend the US line for their all arround usefulness and also because they have a line of turreted TDs that are very good (with the hellcat as the biggest offender at tier 6), the russian are also for the high damage but horribly accuracy (the SU-100 with the 122mm is a nightmare in tier 6 when a shot connects). The germans have good TDs with very good accuracy, fast reloads and moderate damage. The british TDs start with fast but fragile machines, since tier 5 onwards are slow behemots that are made of a mix of trollonium & bouncinium but have peashoters with good pen and fast reload but low damage.

If you want to take Arty go for the germans, however the tier 2 arty is the biggest letdown of the line, after that it becomes good starting from tier 4 since they have very good accuracy but moderate damage. The russian arty has good accuracy in lower tiers but very little damage, since tier 5 they turn arround 180° and become boomsticks with the biggest damage, but also the worst accuracy. The british arty also deserves a mention since they have good accuracy and reload, and pretty much the worst nightmare in a battle is seeing a good player in a british arty.

Also, a good advice for a newbie: don't try to rush too much to the next tier, just try to familiarize with the game instead of racing trough the lines like crazy. Try to be in tier 3 enough time to cash up some credits. From tier 4 onwards you could use to find a platoon mate (in the clan we're always up to platoon so don't be shy to ask).

Another advice: Avoid the frenchs & chinese lines like the plague until you have familiarized enough with the game.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 19:15   Link #12233
Gravitas Free Zone

Other suggestions: Read the wiki. Not from the front, but perhaps from this point.

The Marder 38t carries 38 rounds of 75mm. I think I've only run out one time though. This is not one of those times.
Images
Must be something about Cliff.

Safe Stowage may have saved this Roomba.
Images
They'll hafta bury what's left of ye in a SOUP CAN!
...though that might be only the second RBWT that I can remember one-shot ammo-racking.
Old 2014-04-16, 19:40   Link #12234
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Hey, this was a pretty good session...

I shouldn't have even bothered trying to play this again.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 19:42   Link #12235
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Another advice: Avoid the frenchs & chinese lines like the plague until you have familiarized enough with the game.
Add the Japanese tanks to that list. They're super-soft (M4 HE derp can sometimes pen your turret), not fast, and often rely on hulldown tactics and never getting shot in general. Not noob-friendly at all.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 20:24   Link #12236
Gravitas Free Zone

I finally killed an AMX 50B, which completes another nation's killed tanks ribbon. (On top of the USA and China lines.) It's been a minor white whale for me for some time, starting with its relative uncommonness, then games where I wasn't in a position to engage one, then games where I could engage but bounced off the frontal slopes, then games where I got behind it in a scout and couldn't put in enough damage for the kill, and so on.

This time I had two solid AP hits on it from the side, it disappeared for a while, other tanks did some damage to it, and then I was finally able to put a 128mm AP through the front of the turret.

That front is still remarkably bouncy... to make up for the 30mm sides and rear.
Old 2014-04-16, 22:24   Link #12237
Achiuakuna
Kimo-kimo-ii~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post

Quote:
I shouldn't have even bothered trying to play this again.

Speech bubble!!!!!
Achiuakuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 22:34   Link #12238
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Talking about bad streaks, I'm down -.03% since last night, and my STB-1 is dangerously close to hitting yellow digits. Just potatoes all around.
Old 2014-04-17, 01:37   Link #12239
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Agree with the French until tier 6, totally disagree on the Chinese. With the exception of the Type 58, 59-16, and maybe the T-34-2, all of the tanks are good or excellent. Don't let the lack of gun depression fool you— the guns, mobility, and at tier 7+ the turret armor of these tanks more than makes up for it.

Quote:
Use free xp to unlock modules and not tanks. You want to spend more time playing the game with fully-equipped vehicles, not slogging through stock ones. Also, spend some time at each tier to get acquainted with how the game works. All too often you see people blitzing their way to tier 8 who still haven't realized this isn't CoD. Work on two or three different kinds of tanks at the same time so you can get a feel for how they interact on the battlefield.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-17, 02:34   Link #12240
VDZ

Why avoid the French line entirely? Once you've used other vehicles for scouting, I'd say go for the ELC AMX (tier 5 French light). The grind towards it is a pain, though it does teach you about those few heavily armored tanks in the lower tiers (which seem great if you fight against them until you play as one yourself and realize just how horrible they are), and once you get to the ELC you learn a lot about proper scouting and not getting hit.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mmo games, war game, wargaming.net, world of tanks