AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-07, 21:53   Link #441
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirebluesky View Post
now my question: are the portraits drawn by Ryukishi? or is someone drawing them for him? (or something in-between like Ryu making a sketch and someone else painting the actual portrait on that)
because, they look much better than the actual game spirtes (they even have ears and figers ), but at the same time the drawing style looks the same... makes me confused.
my bet is he just sketches them on paper while the sprites are made directly on a computer, but i want to make sure.
The portraits are drawn by someone else :P If Ryukishi could do the art in the portraits then he could do high quality CG, which is obviously not the case.

I can't remember who does the portraits though.
Old 2009-10-08, 01:55   Link #442
kenshin-dono
I'm on a boat!!!

so 2 questions here. Probably best to just post it here instead of a new thread

first.. whats the translation of this title? ADB doesn't list alterintives.. doesn't umineko mean sea cat or something?

second.. i hear this show is censored to hell. Is there any station/subbers that have an uncut version, or is this mossaic thing i saw the nrom everywhere? if so im holding off for dvds because thats just pathetic.

oh ya, one more question. Is this related to Higurashi/when they cry at all? for some reason i heard it was linked to that somehow. Im d.loading when they cry right now but havent watched it yet
Old 2009-10-08, 03:20   Link #443
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
so 2 questions here. Probably best to just post it here instead of a new thread

first.. whats the translation of this title? ADB doesn't list alterintives.. doesn't umineko mean sea cat or something?

second.. i hear this show is censored to hell. Is there any station/subbers that have an uncut version, or is this mossaic thing i saw the nrom everywhere? if so im holding off for dvds because thats just pathetic.

oh ya, one more question. Is this related to Higurashi/when they cry at all? for some reason i heard it was linked to that somehow. Im d.loading when they cry right now but havent watched it yet
1. The translation of the title is "When the Seagulls Cry". Umineko translates to a specific kind of seagull known as a Black-tailed gull. It's known for it's obvious black tail and it's cat-like call, thus giving it the name Umi (Sea) neko (cat). There's also a group fansubbing Umineko called SEACATS. :P

2. It's not that badly censored (sloppy censoring at times as well), but I'm pretty sure there won't be any uncensored versions of the episodes roaming around until the DVDs come out.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
The portraits are drawn by someone else :P If Ryukishi could do the art in the portraits then he could do high quality CG, which is obviously not the case.

I can't remember who does the portraits though.
Just imagine if Ryukishi got the portrait artist to draw the in-game sprites and CG scenes too. Extremely unnecessary, but it would have been wonderful eye-candy to go with the ear-candy.
Old 2009-10-08, 05:47   Link #444
MikaMikado

Alright, so victims to the ritual do not appear in the golden land, then what's the deal with Beatrice's granting wish? Doesn't she ressurect everyone that died? When Shannon was victim in the first twilight in EP.1, then the text under her dead body said: "It's okay everyone will be ressurected in the golden land".

So offers won't appear in the golden land but the text implies so and the epitath promises the return to life of all those who have fallen? Eh?
Old 2009-10-08, 06:48   Link #445
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Apparently there's something wrong with the interpretation of the epitaph. The "golden land" and the "prizes" are not exactly how people figure them in their mind. They probably have a different metaphorical meaning, but the right interpretation is unknown for now.

Old 2009-10-08, 20:11   Link #446
chrisbad726

I know someone has probably already asked this but I'll ask anyway. How the heck did Eva Beatrice come into being exactly cause i am really confused?
Old 2009-10-08, 20:16   Link #447
June 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbad726 View Post
I know someone has probably already asked this but I'll ask anyway. How the heck did Eva Beatrice come into being exactly cause i am really confused?
I think Virgilia explained this pretty adequately in the episode itself, it's not that complicated a concept. Eva-Beatrice is like an aspect of Eva herself, something inside of her that represents her past. If you believe in the magic explanation, she was given power by Beatrice when she solved the riddle. If you believe in the mystery explanation, she doesn't actually exist. Either it's really Eva, or someone else.
Old 2009-10-08, 20:18   Link #448
Arbane the Terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 1983 View Post
I think Virgilia explained this pretty adequately in the episode itself, it's not that complicated a concept. Eva-Beatrice is like an aspect of Eva herself, something inside of her that represents her past.
I'm surprised Virgilia didn't compare it to her own relationship with Kumasawa.
Old 2009-10-08, 20:18   Link #449
June 1983

Well, we don't know what Virgilia's relationship with Kumasawa actually is. Maybe it's like that, but personally I don't think it is.
Old 2009-10-08, 22:11   Link #450
maximilianjenus
[E]

virgilia could simply just be a younger version of kumasawa, just like ev-beatrice is just a younger version of eva.

About the epitaph, you can simply accept the generla theory that it is just a ridle on killing letters-strokes once you find what the sweet fish river word is, then you find teh gold by solving that; it has nothing to do wiht murdering people and it's jusrt used as a coincidental excuse to throw people off while the murders are commited.
Old 2009-10-08, 22:16   Link #451
Arbane the Terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
virgilia could simply just be a younger version of kumasawa, just like ev-beatrice is just a younger version of eva.

(SNIP)
it has nothing to do wiht murdering people and it's jusrt used as a coincidental excuse to throw people off while the murders are commited.
Eh, those work for me.

Am I right in thinking that a witch's power level is inversely proportionate to their apparent age? Virgilia looks oldest, and seems to be weaker than Beato, who claims Bernkastel is stronger than her, and so on.
Old 2009-10-08, 23:42   Link #452
kenshin-dono
I'm on a boat!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
1. The translation of the title is "When the Seagulls Cry". Umineko translates to a specific kind of seagull known as a Black-tailed gull. It's known for it's obvious black tail and it's cat-like call, thus giving it the name Umi (Sea) neko (cat). There's also a group fansubbing Umineko called SEACATS. :P

2. It's not that badly censored (sloppy censoring at times as well), but I'm pretty sure there won't be any uncensored versions of the episodes roaming around until the DVDs come out.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Just imagine if Ryukishi got the portrait artist to draw the in-game sprites and CG scenes too. Extremely unnecessary, but it would have been wonderful eye-candy to go with the ear-candy.
tnx much.. i think i'll just hang out for DVD releases or something then since i cant stand censored junk. Since its probably not really related to Higurashi i was wondering if i could just watch it now, but i supose i'll check Higurashi out first while im waiting
Old 2009-10-09, 11:38   Link #453
maximilianjenus
[E]

umineko "spoils" a very important character in higurashi and even the main culprit, but you have to put an effort to figure it out anyway.

abuot witches and ages, let's just give more time to the anime hopefully deen won't skip the power levels of the witches (most likely they will, but they still don't belong until after Ep3 at least is done even preferably, untli this whole season is over).
Old 2009-10-12, 11:20   Link #454
Uchiha Soul

after witch Eva become Beatrica the Picture changed to her photo. Is this mean that all Beatrica pictures in the mansion changed? if so, do you think the whole family forgot the old picture? specially Kinzo, i mean he in love with Beato (the one who was lockedup in the forest) not other Bearicas
Old 2009-10-12, 11:34   Link #455
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think everyone pretty much agrees that the portrait never actually changes in the real world. If it does we never had any kind of feedback from the "pawns" inside the gameboard.

Old 2009-10-14, 01:39   Link #456
Hareoic
There will be burgers

In the VN, one of the descriptions of Beatrice is "She is an extremely powerful witch, but since she is particular about a certain kind of pattern, it seems that her means occasionally end up becoming her goals."

I can't really make sense of this. Could somebody explain what this refers to?
Old 2009-10-14, 11:18   Link #457
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hareoic View Post
In the VN, one of the descriptions of Beatrice is "She is an extremely powerful witch, but since she is particular about a certain kind of pattern, it seems that her means occasionally end up becoming her goals."

I can't really make sense of this. Could somebody explain what this refers to?
Bern basically says that Beatrice doesn't make the best moves. Like if she could take a free pawn, without even imposing danger on herself, she wouldn't take it just because she doesn't have to.
Old 2009-10-16, 18:46   Link #458
Jze0
Hmmm...

Quick question, is episode 17 of the anime the last episode for episode/arc 3 of the visual novel? Reason I ask is because I've been watching the episodes/arcs in bundles and I wasn't too sure about this. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2009-10-16, 18:49   Link #459
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jze0 View Post
Quick question, is episode 17 of the anime the last episode for episode/arc 3 of the visual novel? Reason I ask is because I've been watching the episodes/arcs in bundles and I wasn't too sure about this. Any help would be appreciated.
Episode 18 will be the ending of the arc.
Old 2009-10-16, 18:51   Link #460
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

Send a message via MSN to ChibiBear
I'm pretty sure episode 18 is the end of EP3

Edit: I'm so slow

Tags
q&a