AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 14 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 35.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 25.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-08, 23:59   Link #21
novalysis

After the complete disaster that is episode 11.5, episode 12 of Hyouka picks up again, with a strong showing of all that is appealing about the premise of Hyouka- high quality Slice of Life and engaging character interaction.

Indeed, the opening scenes of Episode 12 had the feel of Season Premiere written all over it. The opening begun with a well directed sequence, and the central dilemma of the classics club amusing. I am indeed going to presume that all 200 copies may be sold after all, just by the Classics Club's mere presence throughout the entire Cultural festival, where the deliciously formidable personalities in it cut like hot knife through butter in the entire Cultural Festival.

If we regard Hyouka as a split cour (and indeed, this episode feels like we've just come back from a Split Cour of Hyouka, with it's freshness, energy and pace), this episode is an excellent season premiere to the Second Half of Hyouka. Character development, which seems to have regressed in Episode 11.5 is back and well alive again.

Overall, this is one of the best episodes of Hyouka so far, and a strong showing.

P.s: Those Vocaloid Cosplayers sucked.
Old 2012-07-09, 00:16   Link #22
Calca
Expressionless

From now on if Oreki wants to get rid of Chitanda while she pesters him, he should just throw a shiny superball down the hallway.

Also in the ED I assume Oreki is supposed to be Professor Moriarty. Would that mean Satoshi is Colonel Moran?
Old 2012-07-09, 01:07   Link #23
Edgardes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
From now on if Oreki wants to get rid of Chitanda while she pesters him, he should just throw a shiny superball down the hallway.

Also in the ED I assume Oreki is supposed to be Professor Moriarty. Would that mean Satoshi is Colonel Moran?

Houtarou is Lupin and Satoshi is Moriarty.
Old 2012-07-09, 01:12   Link #24
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgardes View Post
Houtarou is Lupin and Satoshi is Moriarty.
lol those titles in the background of the ED are all Holmes stories. Chitanda and Ibara are Holmes and Watson.

The other two have to be Holmes characters otherwise it wouldn't fit.

Besides, when did Lupin ever wear a monocle?
Old 2012-07-09, 01:59   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Considering how many anime are set in high school, it's amazing how few can actually make me feel being in high school like this one. I really think the less plot Hyouka has, the better it works.
Old 2012-07-09, 02:02   Link #26
Qilin
Romanticist

Oh my. When did Tomoe come back to Japan? Some kind of explanation is in order.

Anyway, despite the fact that not much has happened yet, this episode still finds a way to immerse me fully in the ambiance of the cultural festival. The entire event felt so detailed that I could almost feel that I was there myself. This could probably work as one of the most realistic portrayals of a cultural festival I've seen in anime.

Furthermore, I'd say that the character interactions in this episode were up to par. Houtarou, for one, seems to be back to his energy conservation schtick. Mayaka, on the other hand, is a bit more subdued this episode, and I wouldn't blame her after that little blunder.

It really is nice to have breather episode like this every now and then, though I guess the real mystery starts in the next episode.
Old 2012-07-09, 02:04   Link #27
Edgardes

Quote:
lol those titles in the background of the ED are all Holmes stories. Chitanda and Ibara are Holmes and Watson.

According Sgcafe the Chitanda is Holmes, Ibara is Poirot, Satoshi is Moriarty and Houtarou is Lupin.
Old 2012-07-09, 02:47   Link #28
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:

Lupin wears a monocle when he dang well pleases. By he, I mean the artist of each particular picture. The movie versions don't seem to favor it.

Apologies for the quality. My extension conversion didn't go so well hehe....
Old 2012-07-09, 03:02   Link #29
Skane
Anime Snark

The ED is kinda interesting if you think about it as a metaphor of the girls expressing their love for their male counterparts.

On the episode itself... the Conspiracy Theorist in me says that Tomoe gave Houtarou that pen on purpose, and that any visit to the Fashion Show will further her devious machinations.

Bwong.
Old 2012-07-09, 03:22   Link #30
ninja_pintu

So there was no mystery in this episode. Instead we get to see characters enjoying a normal school festival. I have seen many school festival episodes in anime, but never have I actually enjoyed those episodes as much as I did this one. This episode was just so full of life and lulz. I like how they split up the main cast so that we can see them do their own things and also look at the whole school enjoying the festival at the same time.
Old 2012-07-09, 04:38   Link #31
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

this episode showed me that this series works better as a slice of life without mystery, eru and oreki are interesting characters, wich also makes it the show more interesting when it focus on them, and eru sidetracking was quite fun to watch.
Old 2012-07-09, 04:40   Link #32
Blaat

Is it me or does Karuta seem more prominent in anime ever since Chihayafuru has aired (or is it because I've begun to notice it more?)

Also Satoshi should have gone for Uranus instead of Saturn. Anyway for an episode where basically nothing happened that was very entertaining to watch.

Last edited by Blaat; 2012-07-10 at 02:22.
Old 2012-07-09, 04:53   Link #33
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Question. That song that Chitanda listening. I know I know that song but that's supposedly an English so I'm not sure. But that rhythm is pretty familiar to me. What song is it?
I'm pretty sure that song near the end was in the recent From Up on Poppy Hill film. I doubt it's a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Is it me or does Karuta seem more prominent in anime ever since Chihayafuru has aired (or is it because I've begun to notice it more?).
I'm pretty sure that was another reference. The episode seemed to be full of them.
Old 2012-07-09, 06:33   Link #34
sky black swordman

Chitanda cosplay 10/10 I loved it.

And Chitanda looks like has a hard time during the whole episode.Well thats because of curiosity.

Chitanda San have you ever heard "curiosity killed the cat".
Old 2012-07-09, 06:34   Link #35
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Chitanda is so cute. It was amusing to see get distracted by... pretty much everything. She really was like a kid at Disney Land. It's that precisely childish innocence that I like about her.

Funniest part of the episode for me was Satoshi's outfit and Houtarou thinking he should stop talking in that ridiculous costume. The timing of Houtarou's inner tsukkomi was perfect.
Old 2012-07-09, 07:00   Link #36
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
lol those titles in the background of the ED are all Holmes stories.
There are quite a few Agatha Christie titles in there too that i spotted. Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express the most obvious ones but there were more i'm sure. Then a quick googling of the french story titles confirmed my suspicion that these were some of Maurice Leblanc's Arsene Lupin stories.
Quite a fun new ED.

I quite enjoyed this episode, although I did keep checking out the background to see if KyoAni would do any self-referencing.

I also recognised the song Chitanda was listening to at the end although when I watched From Up On Poppy Hill it bugged me that it seemed familiar then.

And crikey. Chitanda does make rather the elegant lady figure when done up a bit.
Old 2012-07-09, 07:03   Link #37
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The ED is kinda interesting if you think about it as a metaphor of the girls expressing their love for their male counterparts.
Lol, 'Cold Case'

So Lupin is the thief that stole her heart ?
Old 2012-07-09, 07:12   Link #38
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
this episode showed me that this series works better as a slice of life without mystery, eru and oreki are interesting characters, wich also makes it the show more interesting when it focus on them, and eru sidetracking was quite fun to watch.
Eh, if I wanted slice of life featuring a main character get distracted by every freaking thing in her path, I'd go watch K-ON!! again. Not that I have anything against K-ON!! ... it's currently in my top three in anime, but I like Hyouka for the blend of slice-of-life and mystery theatre aspects.
Old 2012-07-09, 07:22   Link #39
raruku

Mayaka is more cuter when she depress like that.

Still no match for Chii-Chan thought.
Old 2012-07-09, 08:14   Link #40
ookamigirl

Kanya cultural festival.
Looks like Oreki is not a fan of cultural festivals.
Fukube wants to promote their club at the festival.
Chitanda was funny with trying to participate in the events of other clubs and still promote Classics club.
Their anthology sale needs more promotion..

My Blog --> ookami
Closed Thread