AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-11, 15:03   Link #3261
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Either I'm just lucky at finding the ones that lack the citations, or they use a citation system that's alien to my eyes and I'm just not seeing it.
Those citations are not in link form if that's what you're looking for. They are usually in parenthesis at the end of the text info. They'll either list the specific episode, manga chapter, magazine/issue number. Other times they'll list it as a subject header like for that example of Fern Corrado.

And thanks to their citations, It would be easier for me to look up the source material and check for any discrepancies.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-07-11, 15:04   Link #3262
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Okay, so I'm just lucky at finding the ones that don't have actual citations. Figures.
Old 2011-07-11, 15:23   Link #3263
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Okay, so I'm just lucky at finding the ones that don't have actual citations. Figures.
which ones are you referring to anyway? Even a couple examples would do.

Either way, the site is still a little more credible than the English version that utilize cryptic translations done by fans who don't have a high profiency in Nihongo or it's word of mouth which is even worse....kind of like the game of telephone.

I'll chalk it up to "some people are not checking the material closely or can't comprehend" which is understandable if Nihongo isn't exactly their first or even second language. I noticed that even with the various threads in this Nanoha section but I'm not here to play accuracy police. Although it's one of the reasons why I don't engage in conversation here and just merely and occasionally lurk.

Anyway, good luck with whatever! I think I've spent too much time here already LOL, I feel like I'm getting geek fleas or something. Sayoonara!

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-07-11, 15:25   Link #3264
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

No offense, but I really don't feel like going back and finding it all again. Deciphering that many moonrunes at my beginners' level is enough to give me a migraine and my headache meds no longer work on me.
Old 2011-07-12, 00:32   Link #3265
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
I wouldn't trust the english wikia so much. I've noticed a lot of discrepancies in a few things....one that has me irked is how they manage to screw up listing a few people's genders.
Proof? IIRC the only difficulty the English wiki ever had with a character's gender was about Fortis, but then again, so did the larger part of the fandom. Also, the Devices but it's difficult to tell whether they have genders at all, anyway.
Old 2011-07-12, 02:49   Link #3266
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Proof? IIRC the only difficulty the English wiki ever had with a character's gender was about Fortis, but then again, so did the larger part of the fandom. Also, the Devices but it's difficult to tell whether they have genders at all, anyway.
Ugh I was hoping not to make another visit this forum within the same day but since you asked, hon:

And it's a couple I actually remember especially with the previous discussion on this thread. I can search for more on a later date...like when I have an interest to go back:

discrepancies

http://nanoha.wikia.com/wiki/Fern_Corrado

other other errors on basic background info:
http://nanoha.wikia.com/wiki/Midget_Crowbel

What's hilarious is that the link above doesn't even match the link that listed as it's resource (Midget Crowbel-Japanese wiki).
On the other hand, I can see how people can confuse the two but the lack of double checking resources and letting typos slip by can be jarring as it's a typical trait of anything english wiki related. Perhaps I can just blame that on laziness.

Okay, ONCE again Sayoonara. This time I mean it LOL. Only exception is PM correspondence though even that is rather limited....unless you're a hot yummy thang!

XOXO,

Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-07-12, 05:56   Link #3267
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Other times they'll list it as a subject header like for that example of Fern Corrado.
So Fern, not Vaan?

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:41   Link #3268
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

What's really hilarious is that the people who know there's errors on the english wiki do absolutely nothing to fix them.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:52   Link #3269
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
On the other hand, I can see how people can confuse the two but the lack of double checking resources and letting typos slip by can be jarring as it's a typical trait of anything english wiki related. Perhaps I can just blame that on laziness.
Yes, it's definitely laziness. YOUR laziness, at that. Because had you not been a lazy bum who bitches about wikis on unaffiliated forums rather than just go and fix the incorrect infos yourself, it would have been fixed long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
So Fern, not Vaan?
Nah, it's just one possible translation. Unless it's a car name or posted in English on some official booklet, that guess is as good as anyone's.

Quote:
What's really hilarious is that the people who know there's errors on the english wiki do absolutely nothing to fix them.
Oh, definitely. It's so much easier to tell everyone how those wiki editors are all lazy and cannot even check the sources written in a language that has never been even remotely related to their native tongue. But contributing to the wiki yourself? Please. How is that supposed to let you feel smug and superior?
Old 2011-07-12, 10:02   Link #3270
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

...is it really necessary to start throwing blames, people? Yes, it's frustrating to have people say that the wikis are wrong yet do not correct them (I've felt similar impressions at the Fate Stay Night Q&A thread), but please remember that no one is getting paid for this. Editing wikis IMHO is a voluntary effort; if someone took great lengths to correct the wikis (very, very grateful for it, Koveras. you have no idea) then they should be thanked for, but last time I checked it's neither a sin nor crime to not correct them

Personally, I'd rather not bite the hand that occasionally feeds me (interesting info), y'know
Old 2011-07-12, 10:07   Link #3271
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
So Fern, not Vaan?
Well, the katakana translates into something like "Fuaan," so phonetically Fern is a tiny bit closer than Vaan. So like Koveras said, either/or.

(not quite accurate but I don't have my book to double-check currently)
Old 2011-07-12, 10:11   Link #3272
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
.Editing wikis IMHO is a voluntary effort; if someone took great lengths to correct the wikis then they should be thanked for, but last time I checked it's neither a sin nor crime to not correct them
I have no trouble at all with people just lurking on the wikis. It's the part where they act condescending because they know more than the wiki and don't share it that ticks me off.

Quote:
(very, very grateful for it, Koveras. you have no idea)
Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt if people said that more often. >__> All I usually hear whenever someone mentions the wiki is either "it's on the wiki, but it can't be trusted" and "it's on the wiki, but it's wrong (so it sucks)".
Old 2011-07-12, 11:43   Link #3273
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Yes, it's definitely laziness. YOUR laziness, at that. Because had you not been a lazy bum who bitches about wikis on unaffiliated forums rather than just go and fix the incorrect infos yourself, it would have been fixed long time ago.
Long time ago? I suppose....if I had discovered it a long time ago. More like just a week ago but not like that's an issue. But really.....am I being condescending? And this forum is filled with snark-filled people and I'm the one woman that stands out? LOL, If you could be so kind as to show me how the editing is done, and perhaps I'll edit that myself. I didn't want to risk ruining the page format (I've done that with my own websites several times)....and I didn't exactly spot a way to contact the admin which was my original intention.

Heck....didn't even know you were involved. Now that I know you're involved with the site, I'm not sure how much of what I had said would change but I would have formulated my words a tad bit carefully. I say a 'tad' bit because being blunt is just my style that I'm used to. It works for me in RL but the transition to online isn't such a smooth one obviously.

Also shows how much I know about the residents in this place, hon. But of course, no excuse is a good excuse these days, so yeah....maybe I was being a bitch...whatever.

Quote:
Nah, it's just one possible translation. Unless it's a car name or posted in English on some official booklet, that guess is as good as anyone's.
The manga lists the name as
ファーン - Faan (katakana for フ is the romaji Fa)

Vaan appears as バァーン. so the difference is the フ as opposed to バ.

Quote:
Oh, definitely. It's so much easier to tell everyone how those wiki editors are all lazy and cannot even check the sources written in a language that has never been even remotely related to their native tongue. But contributing to the wiki yourself? Please. How is that supposed to let you feel smug and superior?
Smug and superior? Wow, that's the first time I've heard that but I almost feel it's a compliment. Considering that's the general attitude I see around here...it usually scares me off. This time...not so much though I admit that my initial sentiments of this place isn't a positive one. Sometimes I can't determine the genders of this place, because almost everyone acts like a emotional distraught irrational woman. But if the ratio of men to women is greater on this Nanoha forum...then wow, that's a surprise.

But if you can instruct a wiki novice like me how to edit, I'd be in your debt eternally, sweetie! Because really, not everyone on this forum is edit savvy even if the edit button is staring them right in their face. Of course to most fans that just means "lurking commoner is incompetent"...it happens. And if it's an apology you want, then I'll concede.

Gotta admit....it's a little hot when a man puts me in my place. I don't get enough of that these days considering I've been sometimes batting for the other team but wow! When a woman does it, it's just a cat fight LOL

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-07-12, 12:09   Link #3274
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
If you could be so kind as to show me how the editing is done, and perhaps I'll edit that myself. I didn't want to risk ruining the page format (I've done that with my own websites several times)....and I didn't exactly spot a way to contact the admin which was my original intention.
Thankfully, it's relatively hard to break format in such a way that a later editor who doesn't have your knowledge/Japanese skill can't fix that part for you.

To edit a page, there's an (hopefully?) easy to find Edit button next to the title, then find the text that's wrong and fix it. Then click the Publish button beneath the edit box to commit your change. If you break formatting or something, let us know on here and one of us can fix that.

If you do edits, we'll love you forever, we promise.
Old 2011-07-12, 14:54   Link #3275
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
And this forum is filled with snark-filled people and I'm the one woman that stands out?
Not at all. I have already opened a can of geekrage or two onto other posters in this very thread. Haven't made many friends, afraid to say...

Quote:
If you could be so kind as to show me how the editing is done, and perhaps I'll edit that myself. I didn't want to risk ruining the page format (I've done that with my own websites several times)....and I didn't exactly spot a way to contact the admin which was my original intention.
spawnofthejudge gave a pretty accurate summary earlier, so I have nothing to add. As for contacting the admins, as soon as you make the first edit, you will be sent a message (to your talk page if you have registered or to your current IP's talk page otherwise) with a link to an admin's talk page for further inquiries. Personally, I make sure to reply to every question asked on my talk pages.

Quote:
I say a 'tad' bit because being blunt is just my style that I'm used to. It works for me in RL but the transition to online isn't such a smooth one obviously.

Also shows how much I know about the residents in this place, hon. But of course, no excuse is a good excuse these days, so yeah....maybe I was being a bitch...whatever.
Now I feel that I have to apologize for my harsh words earlier, too. Please accept my apology. I still think that my message was important enough to convey but I shouldn't have said it in that tone.

Quote:
The manga lists the name as
ファーン - Faan (katakana for フ is the romaji Fa)

Vaan appears as バァーン. so the difference is the フ as opposed to バ.
So it's Faan, with an "F", after all, like the Japanese wiki says.

Quote:
Gotta admit....it's a little hot when a man puts me in my place. I don't get enough of that these days considering I've been sometimes batting for the other team but wow! When a woman does it, it's just a cat fight
I am a strong proponent of equal treatment of genders, especially when it comes to geekrage. So, if you want to do it again, anytime, honey. Just not in public.
Old 2011-07-12, 22:14   Link #3276
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Is there a specific named ship that Fate was assigned to in StrikerS' epilogue?
Old 2011-07-12, 22:18   Link #3277
NTFTH

Quote:
Is there a specific named ship that Fate was assigned to in StrikerS' epilogue?
I'm pretty sure a name was never given, I know the one she's assigned to during Vivid isn't if that helps.
Old 2011-07-12, 22:35   Link #3278
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

According to the Nanoha wiki, there's four named TSAB ships that we know of: the Estia (Clyde Harlaown's ship), the Arthra (Lindy Harlaown's ship), the Claudia (Chrono Harlaown's ship), and the Wolfram (Hayate Yagami's ship).

Is there any theme apparent in those four names?
Old 2011-07-12, 23:17   Link #3279
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

"Estia" is apparently a derivation from Hestia, the Greek goddess of the hearth. In ancient Rome, Claudia was the name of a Vestal virgin in the original sense (which is to say a devotee of Vesta, Hestia's Roman alter-ego), who became famous and something of the contemporary equivalent of a saint for saving a soldier's life. So yes, there's a connection between those two, and it's a reasonably logical one when you consider Chrono following in his father's footsteps.

The other two, I don't know. The romaji translations are questionable enough that people called the Arthra Asura for years before we got an "official" version. When you think about that, "Estia" might well intend to be Hestia.

Old 2011-07-12, 23:27   Link #3280
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I considered that myself. I also looked up the name on Wikipedia, and "Estia" is also a greek newspaper, and the first name of Estia J. Eichten, a theoretical physicist. That last one gave me pause, seeing how famous people sometimes get ships named after them, both in real life and in anime.