AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-09-17, 12:56   Link #2441
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
-Translated/romanized BGM titles in the music box
Awesome. Thanks to all you guys for your efforts.

Question: Will there be a partial patch for episode 5 or just one for the whole episode?
luckyssol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 13:21   Link #2442
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
Awesome. Thanks to all you guys for your efforts.

Question: Will there be a partial patch for episode 5 or just one for the whole episode?
After a lot of reconsiderations during the translation process, we decided that it shall be a full patch release this time around, pretty much like Episode 2.

The reason behind this is that: we believe that it isn't exactly a service to break the momentum of the story like this, which is even more true with Episode 5: we believe it should be read in a single round.
Furthermore, this Episode will probably take much longer than usual, considering how complex it is. Therefore, it will be much more time efficient for us if we make a full patch instead.

Also, as mentioned above, the recent update is only a portion of what we are planning. We will release another patch for Episodes 1-4, especially Episode 1 first half edits and edits related to Episode 5 content. Of course, it will be done after we are done with Episode 5.
Old 2009-09-17, 15:00   Link #2443
07th_Expansion_FAN
Witch-Hunter

So if the individual saves DO work is it just luck?
Old 2009-09-17, 15:02   Link #2444
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Yes, and we strongly suggest not to use them, because there is NO guarantee they won't start to bug out of nowhere. One of our beta tester had the very bad experience with a character showing a unexpected expression all of a sudden despite the script was "normall".

Therefore, there is no guarantee it will work properly from start to finish
Old 2009-09-17, 15:05   Link #2445
07th_Expansion_FAN
Witch-Hunter

Hmm... Ok then I'll just use ver. 4.1 for know since I'm almost done with the 4th game. Then I'll switch.
Old 2009-09-17, 15:06   Link #2446
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto View Post
Here is a recent build of onscripter-en for Linux, which will allow you to run the game without using WINE:

http://roto1.net/onscripter/files/on...090902.tar.bz2

To use it, create a directory on your machine and copy the following files to it from the Episode 4 disc (running the installer is not necessary) :

* from fullsrc, arc.nsa, arc1.nsa, and arc2.nsa
* the entire ME directory
* the entire SE directory
* the entire sys_se directory
* the entire movie directory
* the entire BGM directory

Then, download a copy of the patch, extract the archive, and place its folder inside the directory you created above. (The patch directory needs to be a subdirectory of the game directory, or you will overwrite the original arc.nsa, which you need!) Then, copy the onscripter-en file from the link I gave above to the patch directory.

You should now be able to open a terminal, cd to the patch directory, and run ./onsripter-en to play. Enjoy!

Let me know if something doesn't work...
I have a little thread about how to set up japanese games for linux over here, in case you want to repost that over there.

@Klash and co. : Thanks for the release guys. Keep up the good work.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 15:38   Link #2447
Chadauw

Quote:
After a lot of reconsiderations during the translation process, we decided that it shall be a full patch release this time around, pretty much like Episode 2.

The reason behind this is that: we believe that it isn't exactly a service to break the momentum of the story like this, which is even more true with Episode 5: we believe it should be read in a single round.
Thank you.

I really prefer to play the game without a break in the middle of the Episode, and I know I can't resist when a partial patch comes out.
Chadauw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 15:49   Link #2448
Aeriven
Please grant my wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadauw View Post
Thank you.

I really prefer to play the game without a break in the middle of the Episode, and I know I can't resist when a partial patch comes out.
Same here, although I think I might miss some of the "surprises" Witch Hunt have left for us at the end of their partial patches.

Awesome work guys, very much looking forward to Episode 5!
Old 2009-09-17, 16:57   Link #2449
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto View Post
Here is a recent build of onscripter-en for Linux, which will allow you to run the game without using WINE:

http://roto1.net/onscripter/files/on...090902.tar.bz2

To use it, create a directory on your machine and copy the following files to it from the Episode 4 disc (running the installer is not necessary) :

* from fullsrc, arc.nsa, arc1.nsa, and arc2.nsa
* the entire ME directory
* the entire SE directory
* the entire sys_se directory
* the entire movie directory
* the entire BGM directory

Then, download a copy of the patch, extract the archive, and place its folder inside the directory you created above. (The patch directory needs to be a subdirectory of the game directory, or you will overwrite the original arc.nsa, which you need!) Then, copy the onscripter-en file from the link I gave above to the patch directory.

You should now be able to open a terminal, cd to the patch directory, and run ./onsripter-en to play. Enjoy!

Let me know if something doesn't work...
Is this the same as SVN checkout 254?
Code:
svn co http://svn.haeleth.net/onscr/trunk onscripter
Old 2009-09-17, 18:29   Link #2450
zorahk

I'd prefer not to reinstall the whole game, so is there anyway to just replace the folder in the umineko folder with a new patch folder (I am talking about on mac os)
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 18:50   Link #2451
zorahk

Where's the new patch folder in the installer package, though? I am assuming it's hidden somewhere within all the files.
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 18:53   Link #2452
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk View Post
I'd prefer not to reinstall the whole game, so is there anyway to just replace the folder in the umineko folder with a new patch folder (I am talking about on mac os)
For the Mac, all of our future patches will be moving into the installer format (it's too much of a pain to host 2 formats for demo/full, Windows/Mac, etc. and have to explain it all).

It'll save you some trouble in the long run to just reinstall (and it will clean up your installation a lot, hiding all unimportant files). You only have to do it once, and your save data will still be kept.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 19:14   Link #2453
actawesome

Thank you very much for the new patch and update on ep 5!

Best wishes,

-Act
actawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 20:33   Link #2454
Roto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5
Does the new repository also have a new website because on the other website I can't find a notice regarding this on the previous site
There's a new site, but there isn't much there yet other than Mion's updated NScripter API translations. The reason for the move is that Hæleth has been hard to get in touch with lately, so we can't really update the old site with the new info until he responds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
Is this the same as SVN checkout 254?
Code:
svn co http://svn.haeleth.net/onscr/trunk onscripter
No, as I posted above, active ONScripter-en development is in a new repository (see my previous post for the URL.) That version is somewhere around SVN rev 260, if I recall correctly. Since I made that post, I've also built from SVN rev 263 (version 20090915.) My most recent builds can always be found here:

http://roto1.net/onscripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk
Yeah, sorry it's kind of a hassle to have to reinstall the game, but you won't have to do it again once you do it. It's an automatic procedure (you just put in your disc and the patch just copies the files it needs) and takes about 15 minutes, unless your optical drive is really old and slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig
You only have to do it once, and your save data will still be kept.
Just to clarify, note that while all of your save data will be kept, it's the same situation as the Windows patch; using old save states can cause weird bugs (see the posts above.) Your global save data (what's unlocked, etc.) is safe though.

Last edited by Roto; 2009-09-17 at 20:35. Reason: Oops, started a sentence and didn't finish it...
Roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 22:41   Link #2455
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Tested new patch and it does mess up all of my saves. Some are recoverable, some will jump to a completely different scenario, and some are just plain weird.

So if you're in the middle of a playthrough, I'd suggest finishing your current Episode first.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 03:19   Link #2456
Xardos

I'm just finished Ep4 with patch 4.1 Are there any critical changes in the EP1? You mentioned some of them in the 1st half of the Ep1 & Ep4. Can I see this changes without playing again?
Xardos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 04:27   Link #2457
Escargotage
I want to believe.

Quote:
Yes, and we strongly suggest not to use them, because there is NO guarantee they won't start to bug out of nowhere. One of our beta tester had the very bad experience with a character showing a unexpected expression all of a sudden despite the script was "normall".

Therefore, there is no guarantee it will work properly from start to finish
Something similiar actually happened to me, I went to my saves and opened up the Rosa-Musou scene... only to have the cackle .wav repeat itself over and over while the goathead mouth flashed on the screen. I thought it was just a prelude to the scene since that's what happens when the "banquet" finishes, but it didn't stop, I had to alt-f4 out of the game. Needless to say, not doing that again.

Oh, I had a question though. If we were to save a game with the patch, we could play those saves, right?
Old 2009-09-18, 04:35   Link #2458
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Yes. Saving your progress with a patch will not generate any issue if you load them with the same patch.

There is however one exception: if you load an OLD save (that is, save state used with an old patch), then overwrite it within the same playthrough. There are instances that the overwritten save state with a old script reload will carry over the glitches and script issues.
You can overwrite old save state with new ones, that isn't a problem. The issue is to load these old save states and save once again on these.
Old 2009-09-18, 09:10   Link #2459
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xardos View Post
I'm just finished Ep4 with patch 4.1 Are there any critical changes in the EP1? You mentioned some of them in the 1st half of the Ep1 & Ep4. Can I see this changes without playing again?
There are more than 1000 changes, so it'd be pretty much impossible to list them all. If you just finished playing EP4, I'd suggest that you wait a while. When we release the EP5 patch (or shortly thereafter), we plan to release another update for EP1-4. It's a good idea to re-read EP1 after playing EP5 anyways, so that'll probably be the best time to check the edits out.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 09:31   Link #2460
Xardos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
There are more than 1000 changes, so it'd be pretty much impossible to list them all. If you just finished playing EP4, I'd suggest that you wait a while. When we release the EP5 patch (or shortly thereafter), we plan to release another update for EP1-4. It's a good idea to re-read EP1 after playing EP5 anyways, so that'll probably be the best time to check the edits out.
Thank you... Wow 1000+... I have to re-read EP1 really. I really want to "play" Ep5. Good Luck and thanks for your hard work.
Xardos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation