AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 08
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 56 38.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 52 35.86%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 24 16.55%
7 out of 10: Good... 9 6.21%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 0.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.69%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-25, 22:52   Link #141
Azure King
Snr Spammer

does anyone know if Kirito have a craft?
Azure King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 23:11   Link #142
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
On the other hand, this episode honestly felt like it had the Asuna/Kirito relationship take a step back. Part of that is what Guardian Enzo mentioned about the silly accidental breast-groping-followed-by-beat-down scene. But beyond that, I find it really odd that a few episodes ago Asuna was hitting on Kirito rather suggestively while showing fondness for how marriage works in SAO, while in this episode she talks about how annoyed she is at the marriage proposals she's received (and she says it with the implication of "Now, Kirito, don't you go proposing to me too!").
She was clearly teasing him to see his reaction to the idea that other guys are interested in her. She does it several other times in the episode, like when they head off to the dungeon and she declares that she'll be taking it easy so Kirito will have to fight on point. When he objects that they should take turns, she responds, "Okay, it'll be my turn tomorrow," as though testing to see how he responds to the idea of spending another day with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
I really don't like how the 74th floor dungeon looks, to me it just really feels like it isn't a dungeon.
Yeah, I expected Kirito to run into Sayaka, Homura and Kyoko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Out of curiosity...

Is Kiroto currently on a higher level than Asuna? She looked pretty surprised about how easily her guard got beaten.
Even if Kirito's a higher level, she probably wasn't expecting one of her guildmates to get his butt kicked like a nameless mook going up against Toshiro Mifune. I mean, Kirito broke a frontline sword in one blow -- and he wasn't even using his good sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marower View Post
Really? I didn't feel there were anything I had gained from watching the earlier episodes. Another sword? Teleportation crystals? The series doesn't really explain how the game itself works anyway. Watching episode 1 and 2, to then jump to episode 8, wouldn't be much of a problem. As for episode 2, while a side story, it introduced Asuna and a few other characters.
You don't think the discussion about people accepting SAO as a new reality would've been much weaker if we hadn't seen Scilica risking her life for her dragon, or Liz leading a comfortable life as a smith, or Kirito arguing against using NPCs as cannon fodder? You don't Kirito immediately identifying Asuna as a great cook works better after seeing the sandwich scene from Episode 6? You don't think the Laughing Coffin scene would've been a total WTF moment if we hadn't been introduced to them already?

The thing about the sidestories is that most of them expand on things mentioned in the novel as backstory -- like, "I joined a guild once. I got them all killed. I'll never join one again." The anime would still have to address the material at some point, so it's better to adapt the sidestories that show the events in detail than to have Kirito give a thirty second VO explanation or a flashback that breaks the story momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Because if Kirito was a PKer he could have easily killed the guy now while Asuna was blocking for him. So technically another exploit.
They set the duel-mode to first-strike, so unless Kirito's strong enough to one-shot kill the guy, it's not an issue.

But suppose the rules prevented outsiders from interfering with a duel -- that creates another exploit. Just challenge a friend to a duel with no time limit, and as long as you don't hit each other, you're safe from PKing.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 23:14   Link #143
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure King View Post
does anyone know if Kirito have a craft?
He has the tracking skill, which it seems like most people don't. That could probably be considered his non-combat skill.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 23:15   Link #144
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Why shouldn't she be able to? She was able to push Kirito into a pillar, but she can't deflect a dagger? All a duel lets you do is cause damage to another player in a sanctuary. She didn't cause damage, she merely disarmed him.
Name one MMO where you can enter a duel between two people and disarm one of them?
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 23:18   Link #145
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
But suppose the rules prevented outsiders from interfering with a duel -- that creates another exploit. Just challenge a friend to a duel with no time limit, and as long as you don't hit each other, you're safe from PKing.
In towns. Duels overcome town invincibility, but it's still FFA outside. My problem is that it doesn't seem like you should be able to normally disarm people in towns. Where, as we've already seen in episode 6, weapons are stopped by a purple barrier long before they make contact.

Not to mention if you get too far away from each other the duel will cancel.
Old 2012-08-25, 23:19   Link #146
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Name one MMO where you can enter a duel between two people and disarm one of them?
Not disarming, but in WoW you can buff and heal someone in a duel even if you aren't part of it. I assume you'd be able to disarm them if you could physically control everything like you can in SAO, too.

Also, who's to say Asuna wasn't proxied into the duel by default since she was partied up with Kirito?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 23:29   Link #147
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

"She placed her sword exactly where his dagger was. The sword pushed the dagger out of the guy's hand."

How is this in defiance of dueling rules? These are, in fact, normal collision rules. What WOULDN'T make sense, would be if the dagger just phased through her sword or something.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 23:30   Link #148
Dark Wing

About the disarming thing...

what if your opponent tripped and fell over or on to another person and it causes them to drop their weapon. Wouldn't that be considered interference from outside forces?
Old 2012-08-25, 23:36   Link #149
Clarste
Human

It's a computer game, not a philosophy class. It can recognize certain actions and respond to them. Intention is outside its field. Asuna made an "attacking" type action towards a player that she's not allowed to attack because they're in town. You'd expect the system to make a purple "immortal object" barrier and prevent them from touching. Now, it's theoretically possible that Kuradeel would just happen to lose his grip from being surprised or whatever, but if actual physical disarming is possible then you'd expect everyone to be doing it constantly, to steal each other's weapons or whatever. We've already seen in episode 5 that an abandoned weapon can be picked up and added to your inventory. Allowing this kind of "physical theft" in an MMO is just absurd.

Clearly touching by hand is allowed, but weapons should be a different story.
Old 2012-08-25, 23:38   Link #150
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Poor, poor bunny. And the great question of playing these games arises; do you keep it as a treasure, use it yourself, or sell it so you can get other things? Sometimes an item can be so rare that you'd rather make massive profit of it. But hey, they are top-tier and can afford said luxuries.

I really liked the first half of the episode, as well as the last few minutes It really drew a contrast between Kirito the lone wolf and finding out that partying makes things so much more fruitful, even if it comes with risks. It also had cute interactions that really captured the essence of just casually enjoying things in the world.

The second half I wasn't so happy with, starting with that silly chest grab and generic asshole no.1 trying to steal Asuna away who I'd expect to stand up slightly better for herself, with Kirito doing his typical white knight thing. I mean, come on-- she just looked kinda bad, and I didn't feel it had to be that way.At least Kirito kicked his ass.

Good cliffhanger.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 23:40   Link #151
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
It's a computer game, not a philosophy class. It can recognize certain actions and respond to them. Intention is outside its field. Asuna made an "attacking" type action towards a player that she's not allowed to attack because they're in town. You'd expect the system to make a purple "immortal object" barrier and prevent them from touching. Now, it's theoretically possible that Kuradeel would just happen to lose his grip from being surprised or whatever, but if actual physical disarming is possible then you'd expect everyone to be doing it constantly, to steal each other's weapons or whatever. We've already seen in episode 5 that an abandoned weapon can be picked up and added to your inventory. Allowing this kind of "physical theft" in an MMO is just absurd.

Yeah because people everywhere are walking around with their weapons unsheathed in their hands.
Old 2012-08-25, 23:41   Link #152
Dark Wing

Quote:
could've easily been fixed with a patch...
Old 2012-08-25, 23:41   Link #153
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Yeah because people everywhere are walking around with their weapons unsheathed in their hands. Besides, even if there was "immortal object", wouldn't the collision take place like normal?
Attack the sheath and knock it out. What's the difference?
Old 2012-08-25, 23:42   Link #154
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
It's a computer game, not a philosophy class. It can recognize certain actions and respond to them. Intention is outside its field. Asuna made an "attacking" type action towards a player that she's not allowed to attack because they're in town. You'd expect the system to make a purple "immortal object" barrier and prevent them from touching.
When have we ever seen an "immortal object" warning come up for PvP violence in town? You can't hurt someone in a safe zone, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're restrained from hitting them.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 23:42   Link #155
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Attack the sheath and knock it out. What's the difference?
Do you have any idea how hard that is?
Old 2012-08-25, 23:43   Link #156
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
When have we ever seen an "immortal object" warning come up for PvP violence in town? You can't hurt someone in a safe zone, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're restrained from hitting them.
We saw it in the beginning of episode 6 when Kirito threw his needles at the who he thought was Yoruko's attacker. They bounced off of purple barrier several inches from his body.
Old 2012-08-25, 23:44   Link #157
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

But... She didn't attack the guy.
Old 2012-08-25, 23:45   Link #158
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Do you have any idea how hard that is?
...doesn't seem too hard to me. Just grab the sword and pull it out. Maybe when you're walking behind them or something.

Quote:
But... She didn't attack the guy.
She attacked his weapon. Which he's holding. It's just as much a part of his game body as his clothes/armor are.
Old 2012-08-25, 23:45   Link #159
lightbringer
M9000

I'd like to point out that there are in fact numerous MMOs out there where you can kill anyone and then proceed to strip them naked of all equipped items (and in some instances even take the entire inventory contents). So while the duel interference was irregular, it's not really all that absurd. SAO has full collision detection from what we've seen (unlike most MMOs on the market today), especially when Kirito groped Asuna, and and Asuna made good use of that collision detection to interfere. The duel system lets them damage each other but it seems to have no effect on collisions.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 23:48   Link #160
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
She attacked his weapon. Which he's holding. It's just as much a part of his game body as his clothes/armor are.
Would it have made him lose HP?

Tags
end card, weekly spoiler discussion