AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-05-04, 06:34   Link #61
Mez

watched this with high expectations and was not disappointed at all. an amazingly charming piece of animation.
Mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 07:04   Link #62
Iwanihana

Here is a break-down analysis of the finer points of the film in case anyone is interested. It's filled with spoilers, of course.
Iwanihana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 07:05   Link #63
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Overall I liked the movie but I do agree with DragoonKain3 on the ending.

Spoiler for ending:

Nice article Iwanihana. That's a perspective I hadn't considered. Also, whoever wrote that reply to your article made my head hurt with his theories.

Last edited by Solace; 2007-05-04 at 07:19. Reason: I went back in time to give Sara Conner a cookie.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 18:27   Link #64
domino
デレデレ

Was excited to see the sub but... technical issues.

Windows Media player wont play the subtitles (it says they are on but they are not appearing), and when I try to play the subtitle in VLC player, I get a crappy barely-readable font for normal text and frequent text overlapping. And when characters' lines are too long, the subtitles trail off the screen AND stack and are basically unreadable.

Softsubs are so nice in theory, but since 80% of the time they have issues like this that make it take an hour just to get it to play, I think I'm gonna wait for someone to hardsub it.

Unless anyone has any tips? Is it just me having this problem with this file?
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 19:43   Link #65
Mez

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Was excited to see the sub but... technical issues.

Windows Media player wont play the subtitles (it says they are on but they are not appearing), and when I try to play the subtitle in VLC player, I get a crappy barely-readable font for normal text and frequent text overlapping. And when characters' lines are too long, the subtitles trail off the screen AND stack and are basically unreadable.

Softsubs are so nice in theory, but since 80% of the time they have issues like this that make it take an hour just to get it to play, I think I'm gonna wait for someone to hardsub it.

Unless anyone has any tips? Is it just me having this problem with this file?
media player classic with the codec pack
Mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 21:31   Link #66
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Wow, what a marvelous story about time travel! Unlike a lot of anime I've seen recently it really held my attention from start to finish. Very nice to look at, good natural acting by the seiyuu, a moving story, brilliantly conceived plot.

Now here's a thought: imagine Chiaki is really Doctor Who, and Makoto one of his assistants...

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 21:36   Link #67
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez View Post
media player classic with the codec pack
I had CCCP but I guess it was having a bad day. Re-installed it and now it works perfectly. Thanks.

So if anyone who stumbles across this thread has trouble like I did, do a fresh install of this: http://www.cccp-project.net/
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 22:56   Link #68
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I just finished watching it, and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. For a random movie I grabbed on a whim, it was quite a surprise. Now I'm recommending it to all my friends. ^^; I liked every aspect, really. Overall story was quite good, the voices were well done, the animation was very nice and all-round, it was excellent. I wouldn't give it full 10/10 since I reserve that for really exceptional things, but this is definitely a 9 or even 9.5, given the overall quality. ^^
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 23:17   Link #69
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
C'mon Kadokawa Pictures USA!!! Choose your R1 DVD distributor so I pimp this awesome movie to lots of people!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 01:54   Link #70
Sakuyakun

The movie is awesome and really moved my imagination. Go watch it now
Sakuyakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 15:52   Link #71
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

After being bowled over by Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo yesterday, I just spent today making a Girl Who Leapt Through Time / Lucky Star crossover as a sort of homage to both series: The Girl Who Slept Through Time (toki wo neru shoujo)

Close this thread, Open the nexT

Last edited by Samatarou; 2010-05-10 at 22:55. Reason: updated broken url
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 17:12   Link #72
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well my first impression of this movie wasn't that great. I'm not into science fiction and all of this fantasy stuff so I thought that this movie was just some generic anime movie. I only downloaded it because a friend said he read it that it was good, so I did. I haven't read this thread so my expectations were low, and this movie proved me wrong.

About its greatness it didn't really have a deeper meaning or top-notched background (although the background was made well-above average). Overall, it was just fun to watch, to the point where it became my favorite anime movie of all time. And what did I think about the ending? I don't think any ending could've spoiled it unless it really sucks. I disagree that Chiaki shouldn't have said that last line. It's still kinda bad, but why are we interpreting things technically in a science fiction movie? How far in the future is Chiaki? What makes you think in Makoto's lifetime this technology won't exist? And most important and most obvious of all, there's nothing wrong with making us think. Elfen Lied is one of my favorite anime and the ending can be interpreted however we want.

Ending the movie without Chiaki's line would make the movie bitter, not bittersweet. There has to be something; and even though I do agree that it wasn't the best line, I think that it's better than saying nothing. In my opinion the line is there give us a happy feeling about the ending and not extreme analysis about how it is possible.

The thing I like most about this is the romance. Romance anime nowadays are too ecchi/corny/mushy/harem-y for me. This provides the best mix of comedy and romance with an interesting plot that immediately absorbs the viewer into the story. Romance comedy series don't have the seriousness that is present in this anime and while they can be fun to watch, they don't give a romantic feeling at all. I never get bored once while watching this movie.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 08:48   Link #73
7Th
Mixtape

Just finished watching TokiKake… and I found no problem with the movie at all, other than the melodramatic overstated mood they went with for the ending considering the natural and low-key presentation they used for most of the running time, although at least they left the science fiction concepts as a subtle wink and kept it as just a medium to the true story of character interaction. It’s amazing how entertaining and delightful the overall product was, and with my words here I am doing no justice to the real feeling behind my statement but want to avoid needless hyperboles and keep this the more down-to-earth I can for now. Safely can be said that as a whole, be it for artistic attributes, good story telling or the really lovable protagonist and those charismatic characters surrounding her, this is seriously one of the most enjoyable films in recent years, animated or not.

As a “time-traveling” tale the script does has it share of faults but even so I can’t find any as idiotic as what we could already see in “Back to the Future 2”, which even when finding itself in the middle of such paradoxes managed to keep itself a classic thanks to the fact that it can be resumed as juvenile yet somewhat meaningful fun from beginning to end, and by the finale the point of the plot wasn’t really to develop the whole physical mechanics of moving in a temporal plane but rather how such an ability, in a metaphorical sense, affects the life of a young girl, who is by the way one of the most wonderfully done and likeable female teenagers in the medium.

Interesting was also to see how the directorial maturity of Hosoda is much more firm now, the melancholic stylishness is still here but for some reason with a major focus when compared to his still brilliant Digimon movies. He remains both trendy and lyrical but perhaps now he turns out even more restrained and introspectively social than before, probably a reflection of the natural movement beyond Tai and his pubescent friends, or the Superflat Monogram girl, towards a state that borders adulthood.

Besides Hosoda’s firm commandment the other incredibly remarkable technical aspect was the graphical design, which turns up as pure urban magic achieved through visuals, a thoroughly endearing representation of youthfulness, with simplistic and amazingly humane movement that retains a cartoon-like expressiveness that helps it in going beyond the representation of reality and achieving much more aliveness through un-noticeable and at the same time deeply underlying exaggeration. The team went with a very modern interpretation of what “old-school” signifies and they did a brilliant job at that approach.

As a whole TokiKake is as a film unpretentious and sincere, eradiating enchantment in every minute it is shown on the screen. Besides, even if you can’t empathically sympathize with the characters you can’t deny their charisma, the entirely believable naturality of the presence they represent as individuals. Go watch this now, at worse you'll be entertained.

Last edited by 7Th; 2007-05-07 at 22:46.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 12:07   Link #74
Zishi

Well first off I had some expectations, and it was met with something that overexceeded my expectations. The word awesome got a new meaning in my dictionary. 10/10 one of the best anime movies I have seen.

Everyone should watch this.
Zishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 16:19   Link #75
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
Now here's a thought: imagine Chiaki is really Doctor Who, and Makoto one of his assistants...
Both have far too much personality to be put in Who...

Anyway, finally watched it. One of the best films I've seen in a long time, and certainly one of the best anime films I've seen full stop (I'm not a huge Ghibli fan, unfortunately). Sure, the ending is slightly melodramatic, but I'm a sucker for cheese like that, and the whole thing was utterly beautiful from start to finish.

Who is Kiyoshi Yoshida? The bleebily bloobily piano music was gorgeous, and I'd be interested in tracking down any more of his stuff.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 22:28   Link #76
sabot99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
Who is Kiyoshi Yoshida? The bleebily bloobily piano music was gorgeous, and I'd be interested in tracking down any more of his stuff.
Don't give Yoshida too much credit. Some of the piano music in the movie is from the Goldberg Variations by J.S. Bach.
sabot99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 23:09   Link #77
ShadowVlican

from a wallpaper at 4chan that led to an anidb search that led to a google for torrent that led to one satisfied otaku

as with the previous poster, one of the best anime films i've ever watched
ShadowVlican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 06:24   Link #78
Xeiros

I just finished watching this and I have to agree that this is the best anime Film of 2006 and one of the best anime films I have seen in a long time. 10/10.

Everything from the characters, voice work and music was superbly done. It felt so real in many way. I liked the message that in life we have many regrets and that even if we go back and change the outcome the feelings that we experienced during these moments were real and will stay with us forever.
Old 2007-05-07, 19:42   Link #79
Fevvers
a regular van veen

This is a good anime, I have to admit, but I honestly can't say that this is stellar by far. The first half was exquisite, the atmosphere was quiet and serves as a perfect backdrop for the honest and subtle dialogues and emotions the characters were trying to convey. I liked how the sci-fi part was purposely toned down so that the movie can focus on the characters themselves. The voice acting sounds natural, something which most voice actors/actresses seem to lack today.

The second half of the film though, I feel, just wasn't for me. It lacked the grace and subtlety the first half had, particularly the scene where Chiaki was saying goodbye to Makoto in the middle of the road, it seemed forced, as if a completely different person made that part. As for the ending scene, well, let's just say, silence speaks volumes; I think it would have been better if Chiaki didn't say anything, the hug and the headpat would have been enough accompaniment for the mood that scene was trying to deliver.

Ah, well. I suppose you can't have them all. Still, not bad. Could have been better, but not bad.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 09:02   Link #80
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
One of the things I liked the best about this movie is how the VAs managed to sound much more like high-school girls (we've had some Japanese ones visit our school and I've seen videos of them taken by friends) than most anime VAs could ever come close to.
Cookie for you for voicing my feelings exactly on the voice acting. In fact, the dialog was awesome all over the movie, with all its funny twists that made us 3 people watching it laugh very hard during the whole movie (I'm surprised no one mentioned the intrinsic comedic stance of the whole development, even with the bittersweet ending). It was quite noticeable that they tried to sound like regular people, not like anime characters.

As for the story itself, technically analyzing it, it does have its inconsistencies (the aunt witch, what is exactly her role into the matter? And there are some unclear spots regarding time/space, too), however I don't feel they are determining when it comes to analyzing the core of the subject. Overall it was a very enjoyable movie, and the likening of it all with a single day and the event of the 4 PM train was pretty good.

It felt kind of lacking, however, given all the praise it has received. Oh well. 8.5/10.

PS: It'd been great if the Aunt Witch was actually the protagonist who came back in time just to restore the painting, but... it'd conflict with other parts of the movie, I guess

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote