AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-10-08, 10:43   Link #1
shuban0

A Better RSS feed

Hi,
Would it be possible to make another RSS feed which contains the actual direct links to torrents like in the xml file? Right now the RSS feed includes a link to the main website hosting the torrent.
Example:
Code:
<item>
     <title>Android Ana Maico 2010 19-24 [F-B]</title>
(((Other Fields Excluded)))
     <link>http://a.scarywater.net/f-b/</link>
</item>
This format doesn't allow BT/RSS auto-downloaders to function properly. If another RSS feed could be made following this simple format:
Code:
<item>
     <title>Android Ana Maico 2010 19-24 [F-B]</title>
     <link>http://a.scarywater.net/f-b/[Froth-Bite]Maico_2010_19-24.torrent</link>
</item>
The the auto-downloaders can function as intended. This shouldn't be too difficult to do since its obvious from the xml file that you already have this info.

I know others would appreciate this as well.

Thanks
shuban0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 11:30   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I don't see your request happening -- for the same reason we avoid direct linking.
But then I don't control what feeds we offer so...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 12:53   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Right now I really don't want to mess with the current scripts because ALL of them need a
highly-over-due (sp?) rewrite. In other words: if I change them, I'll rewrite them from scratch.

A better solution for the problem you mention would be to support RSS v2.0, which allows
for a an enclosure tag, which is pretty much ideal for this purpose -- normal RSS readers
should still forward visitors to the main sites (as the owners of those sites and fansub groups want)
and specific applications like auto-downloaders can get the enclosure tag for the direct link.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rs...mentOfLtitemgt

Now in the past few months I've been lazy, busy with other things (see signature) and recently
I've also started a study, which is also taking it's time. All and all, unfortunately plenty of "lame"
reasons I can't promise ANY updates/rewrites to scripts yet. I've been wanting to, just no time.
(or time spend "incorrectly", like lazying about and/or watching anime)

Update:
Done some reading: I just don't hope there are RSS readers in use that do support
the enclosure tag and will automatically download all "attachments". Because that would
cause insane bandwidth usage for the torrent sites. In other words: above text is just a theory,
it's not been tested yet...

Update 2:
Never mind (probably)... I just found a RSS feed that does exactly what I described:
torrent files in enclosure tags. So should work without problems. And alternatively
I could always make it optional, so that you need to use an URL like this: rss.php?enclosure=1
(I can't post the RSS feed link here btw, as it contained DVD rips and such...)

Last edited by GHDpro; 2004-10-08 at 13:10.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 13:36   Link #4
shuban0

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I too am familiar with enclosures in RSS 2.0 and I feel that would be an equally good solution to the problem I described. Since you have the filesize information (as seen in the xml file) this shouldn't be too difficult to do either.

I understand your commitments to your other endavours, I'm just glad you are aware of the problem and have a solution in mind. I look forward seeing this implemented whenever it is possible.

Just incase anyone is interested in seeing an BitTorrent feed that uses enclosures (not anime related) you can see one here
http://www.legaltorrents.com/musicrss.xml
shuban0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-09, 06:26   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Just a note: the filesizes in the XML file are for the resulting file, while the enclosure tag needs
the filesize of the torrent file. That too is available however, it's just pointless to put it in the XML.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote