AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-10-24, 22:35   Link #1061
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is probably your best source for Shinto (wasn't able to find much online in the way of romanized prayer) .... You might hit the religious section of the bookstore and look for Shinto or Buddhist chants ... or ask at your local buddhist temple for some phonetic scripts (tell them its for class).

http://www.religioustolerance.org/shinto.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto
http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/index.htm

The last link may be a good jumping point to find a prayer or chant.

Item
: Shinto Norito: A Book of Prayers
Author: Introduction and translation by Ann Llewellyn Evans; foreword by Yukitaka Yamamoto
Price: CDN $25.00
Publisher: Tenchi Press/Trafford Publishing

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-10-24 at 22:36. Reason: eep the pic looked much smaller
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 05:34   Link #1062
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

thanks for the links

i need some help with the language bar. i have XP SP 2, and i have the button(s) for the language bar clicked- but no language bar. i right clicked my taskbar and looked at the possible toolbars, but the language bar wouldnt show up. also, 90% of the time, it wont type in japanese for anything out of word processor when i do ctrl+shift+2 (what i have it set to change to japanese.) can anybody help me get the bar working?
Old 2007-10-25, 05:50   Link #1063
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

It does this for me sometimes, too. I eventually gave up maintaining the language bar and i now switch to hiragana input by means of left alt+shift to go to Japanese and then left alt+~ to switch input modes. I think you might be skipping that second step.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 11:14   Link #1064
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In both Win2K and in XP, the language bar is both flaky and refuses to retain the settings I give it. Great idea, but they simply didn't finish the thing.
If someone has any clues on how to get the damned function to remember that I want to have it default to hiragana+no_conversion, I'd be appreciative.
Old 2007-10-25, 11:36   Link #1065
richvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by soka View Post
The third one is South Korea but they use 韓国 (kankoku) where 国 is a simplified version of 國.
The second one is United States but they use 米国 (beikoku) or just アメリカ (America).
The 米 of 米国 comes from the phonetic kanji used for America in the Edo/Meiji era: 亜米利加. (Western placenames had their names transliterated into kanji, and usually the first character was used as a shorthand for it, hence 英吉利(Igirisu, England) became 英国. In the case of America, 亜 was already used for 亜細亜 Asia, so the second character was used. These have almost all fallen out of common use, replaced by katakana.)
richvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 15:21   Link #1066
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
In both Win2K and in XP, the language bar is both flaky and refuses to retain the settings I give it. Great idea, but they simply didn't finish the thing.
If someone has any clues on how to get the damned function to remember that I want to have it default to hiragana+no_conversion, I'd be appreciative.
I think the problem with that was because the thing works on a per-program basis. It has a global setup (default for each program that is opened), but you can specify it per program. So if you want to type Japanese on your web browser, you have to select your web browser and change while it's selected... but if for everything else other than the web browser, you'll type in your default language, unless you change it again for that specific app. It's a little retarded if you ask me, personally I found GNOME's SCIM to work much better (it sets the language globally every time you change it, and I finally found an intuitive hotkey configuration--never found one in XP's).

The thing would be much easier if it had any sort of documentation somewhere, but I never found it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 18:34   Link #1067
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, I figured out the 'per-program' issue... but every time I start it up after closing it, it has forgotten all my preferences. There may be a registry ick that can be twiddled.... but like you say, no docs.
Old 2007-11-01, 06:14   Link #1068
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

benefit 1 to knowing japanese- telling your teachers "watashi no baka" means "i am smart' :P

little update for me, havent been able to study much because of school, but my times freeing up so ill get off my lazy behind and start learning katakana.
Old 2007-11-01, 06:35   Link #1069
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
I've discovered a great way to increase Japanese reading speed -- Japanese karaoke!!! It's a real challenge for me to be able to read fast enough to sing any normal to high-speed songs, but it's fun and I'm finding that I'm slowly getting faster and faster at it.

(...Of course, I've also gotten better at finding and picking the songs despite the massive amounts of kanjified names. I can find and select at least five songs in under thirty seconds now... And I usually do. )
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 06:39   Link #1070
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I've discovered a great way to increase Japanese reading speed -- Japanese karaoke!!! It's a real challenge for me to be able to read fast enough to sing any normal to high-speed songs, but it's fun and I'm finding that I'm slowly getting faster and faster at it.
Anime subtitles were how I learned to speed-read English, so I think you're onto something there
Old 2007-11-02, 09:37   Link #1071
Apple84

ouuu okay kewl..this may help me too.and i was wondering if there is anyone who knows fluently in jap or is japanese..can u please help me translate this in english?thanks.

aisaretai demo aisou to shinai??? what does that mean in english? hopefully its nothing silly or funni =D
Apple84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-02, 10:56   Link #1072
richvh

Looks like nonsense to me, though it could be an attempt by a non-native speaker to say "I want to be loved, but I won't try to love"
Old 2007-11-02, 19:06   Link #1073
Apple84

to richvh:

ohh...is that really what it mean?? or close or similiar? i thought demo meant " but" though?

what does the rest mean? anyone else? i am just curious.
Apple84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-02, 19:22   Link #1074
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Sounds more like: "I want to be loved, but it doesn't seem like I am/will be loved" to me.
Old 2007-11-02, 19:28   Link #1075
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
That's the first line in the song Sen no Yoru o Koete from BLEACH. And yes, it is "I want to be loved, but I don’t try to love".

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 05:57   Link #1076
lreth
Inbou

Send a message via MSN to lreth
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathreape98 View Post
benefit 1 to knowing japanese- telling your teachers "watashi no baka" means "i am smart' :P

little update for me, havent been able to study much because of school, but my times freeing up so ill get off my lazy behind and start learning katakana.
of course if i'm gonna embarass myself i'd tell that one to a japanese sensei:P
Old 2007-11-03, 08:13   Link #1077
richvh

That "aisou to shinai" still looks weird to me. Are you sure it isn't "aishiyou to shinai"?
Old 2007-11-03, 14:45   Link #1078
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
It's not. The kanji is 愛されたい でも 愛そうとしない

Old 2007-11-03, 15:58   Link #1079
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
愛そうとしない
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the そう in this context is something like 'seems like.' Though that may only be used as an adverb.
Old 2007-11-03, 16:17   Link #1080
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

That's what it seems like at first, but in this case it's 'try to'.

Tags
hiragana