AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-29, 17:21   Link #81
Kikuchi

Well sure, but she serves absolutely no purpose. I was actually waiting for her to do something worth having her in almost every episode (if not every).

Oh yeah and I just saw Dynamite 7. Animation-wise, it was really nice and all. I kinda liked the main plot too.
But, damn, this OAV serves no purpose at all. You don't learn anything at all about the Macross universe.
Plus, the sexual assault subplot was just retarded. It happens out the blue, and then get resolved so quickly not even the characters give a damn about it. The whole Mylene thing was a waste actually.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 17:53   Link #82
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

personally, I liked the flower girl. It was kinda amusing how she never got the flowers to Basara until the very end.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 04:17   Link #83
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Well, I didn't think the whole Gamlin x Mylene romance was particularly feasible either, since Mylene is like what, 14? when they first meet as prospective fiancees. Made me think Gamlin was a secret lolicon.
FWIW, Gamlin is only 19 in the series.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 10:07   Link #84
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Really?? His hairstyle made him seem like he was in danger of balding soon, so I always thought he was mid 20s at least.

Old 2008-05-03, 10:46   Link #85
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Really?? His hairstyle made him seem like he was in danger of balding soon, so I always thought he was mid 20s at least.
its the stress.
Old 2008-05-06, 00:43   Link #86
vision33r
Oldskool Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
Just watched the entire series. It was... well, kinda nice, but rather mediocre overall.

There were some nice ideas here and there, and some story arcs were really interesting (City 7 taken, few last episodes...) and I really liked the characters.

But there are too many flaws, beginning with the rythm. When you think the pace's starting to be good, they suddently throw like 3 or 4 filler episodes at you. The animation also suffers considerably from the show's length as shown in, say, episode 39, where the animation is almost ENTIRELY taken from older episode, non-battle sequences included.
Sounds like you watched this only recently. TV Animes produced in that era have the same quality, usually suffers from poor planning and most likely budget constraints.

Just like recent animes such as Bleach or Naruto, you have fillers and episodes with poor animation. It really depends on the studios handling the anime. Certainly not produced by Madhouse or Gonzo.

Quote:
Finally, I didn't liked the way they dealt with romance. I mean, two episodes before the end, I thought the damn triangular thing was over. And suddently we get Gamlin shouting all over the place he's jealous of Basara and Mylene saying she just love Basara as much as Gamlin
Basara never occured to me as a good match for Mylene, seeing how he only ever saw her as a band member
Then, there Rex. I REALLY wonder what the poor girl was doing in this mess.
Anyway : do we exactly know how the damn love triangle ended ? Thanks to whoever can answer me
Certainly the main focus in Macross 7 isn't about romance as you know it's a Basara show and the ending explains that. If you've been watching shonen anime, you should get used to seeing romance and triangles go without any closure even with newer OAVs or movies the theme remained that there's always a triangle but no results.

I don't think Basara cares about Mylene romantically. He finds more desire in Sivil. He cares so much he pretty much wrote a song about it just to get her to wake up in that story.

Quote:
Before I finish, I'd still like to say that I don't hate Macross 7 at all. I thought it was fun and I had a good time with it. Plus, Fire Bomber's music was not half-bad, actually.
It just has way too many flaws that I can't bring myself to overlook.
I don't think you hate the anime, most people don't have the open mind to accept animes from different eras and the reason it never made it here along with many other animes because the theme and pacing is more Japanese audience suited than our impatient American culture.

Comparing adult video is enough to differentiate between American and Japanese audiences.
vision33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 16:25   Link #87
ipernorris

I just rewatched the series: nice songs like I remembered but... I didn't like how Gibbernich (or whatever it is spelled) goes away: he said "this galaxy is no more of any use to us, we can now produce spiritia etc..."
Oh yeah the dude caused the death of a millions of people and he didn't even said "We're sorry".
I liked Sivil a lot and I hope to see her again in Macross Frontier because I don't see why Zentradi were taken into account and something so powerful like the Protodeviln wouldn't be.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 17:08   Link #88
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
I just rewatched the series: nice songs like I remembered but... I didn't like how Gibbernich (or whatever it is spelled) goes away: he said "this galaxy is no more of any use to us, we can now produce spiritia etc..."
Oh yeah the dude caused the death of a millions of people and he didn't even said "We're sorry".
I liked Sivil a lot and I hope to see her again in Macross Frontier because I don't see why Zentradi were taken into account and something so powerful like the Protodeviln wouldn't be.
We'll we are just a bunch of cattle to them.

Do you say sorry to the beef you eat?

Basara showed them they can create their own spiritia.

How did you suppose Gigil managed to revive his old body.

Sivil and Gepelnitch didn't figure it out till it was almost too late.

Speaking of song revivals Ranka pulled one last episode of Macross Frontier.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 17:41   Link #89
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
We'll we are just a bunch of cattle to them.

Do you say sorry to the beef you eat?
No but I don't like to think of myself as a cow...

Quote:
Sivil and Gepelnitch didn't figure it out till it was almost too late.
I hope Sivil will make an appearance here in Frontier. The mantained the presence of the zentradi, so I don't think there is any problem with the Protodeviln.
Old 2008-05-07, 08:51   Link #90
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

I'm not sure if Basara was ever 'romantically' intr in Sivil. I saw it more as he was fascinated by her because a) she was alien and b) she could be touched by his music. She was like a validation of his beliefs that you didn't need violence to change things and that music could change even aliens.

Old 2008-05-07, 13:34   Link #91
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Just started watching and 10 eps in... yeah it's not as bad as i thought. Course i know all about the guitar vf-19 craziness with speaker pods but i'm actually quite entertained by the show.

Will have to say i like the slow songs better than their rock jams right now though.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 01:16   Link #92
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I was always entertained by this show when I was a kid, but I was too young to really understand anime. The I started to realize that Basara is a Kira "Jesus" Yamato that sings. It really didn't bother me that much since "Macross" wasn't actually established in my brain yet.

But I always wondered when he shot his "Speaker Bullets/Missiles" into enemy ships and planes, what if it accidentally squashes an alien? Maybe he actually killed someone without realizing it? (or busting their ear drums with full volume output right next to their ears)
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 02:17   Link #93
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
But I always wondered when he shot his "Speaker Bullets/Missiles" into enemy ships and planes, what if it accidentally squashes an alien? Maybe he actually killed someone without realizing it? (or busting their ear drums with full volume output right next to their ears)
This can't happen. Why? Because the authors decided so.
Old 2008-05-11, 07:45   Link #94
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
I was always entertained by this show when I was a kid, but I was too young to really understand anime. The I started to realize that Basara is a Kira "Jesus" Yamato that sings. It really didn't bother me that much since "Macross" wasn't actually established in my brain yet.

It's beause they are zentradi, they have battle-certified ear organs rated to survive weapon fire decibles.

I think the only thing you should be worried about in Macross 7, is what sort of fuel/explosives do they use in that part of galaxy? I mean never have i seen so many pink explosion.

Old 2008-05-11, 12:30   Link #95
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

So i just finished it... a LOT more entertaining than i thought it was going to be. I dunno but after watching, it makes me wonder what direction macross frontier is going to on in.

I wonder if the song energy became a wide spread thing through out the fleets.

The one thing that finally got answered near the end of the series was Exolde. For the longest time I thought he was a giant head attached to the bridge .

Another thing about Frontier, I think it's pique more intrest in 7. There's a lot more people leaching the series than when I first grabbed it.

Over all I recommend frontier fans to check out 7 if nothing else to flesh out their macross universe knowledge.
Old 2008-05-27, 04:13   Link #96
Tabris

I gave Macross 7 a proper watch through yesterday, well, the start of one anyway.

And despite my first try watching the show a few months back being put off by singing being the be all, end all weapon in the series in the one or two epis I saw, and the animation being somewhat static, which gave it a real super robot feel to the series. That, and the huge monsters. But I thought I'd watch it properly yesterday now that I've got more free time on my hands.

I have to say, I'm really, really enjoying Macross 7 at the moment. Admittedly, I jumped right into the series and started watching at episode 22 (wanted to know a bit more about Macross 5 and Lux tbh) and I haven't been able to stop watching since.

I really should watch the first 21 episodes now, but I'm getting into the flow of the story at the moment, I don't want to interrupt things with the past.

But the characters and songs have really grown on me, especially Mylene, she's just so cute :3 Even though I know the triangle in this series goes nowhere, I'm still enjoying how things are developing. Some of the instruments do sound like playing songs in reverse though, which is kinda freaky, but good at the same time.

Last edited by Tabris; 2008-05-27 at 04:47.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-27, 09:52   Link #97
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

i would agree. M7 is hard to get into since nothing is really explained and Basara's singing makes no sense in battle early on. Once things started to get explained and why Basara was special, everything was more enjoyable.

Even Gamilin, at first he bored the crap out of me but ultimately I liked his character because he does change and shows growth in a normal fashion (ie not the personality transplant that some anime characters go though).
Old 2008-05-27, 10:06   Link #98
Tabris

Ack, they don't have subs for episode 42 and 43 on youtube. I have to download them, manually ;-;

Looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit longer to finish it

Episode 41 was brilliant though. 7 needs more Mylene centric episodes haha
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-27, 22:10   Link #99
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Been watching frontier and wanted to watch the last easy to get macros, I hated plus or whatever the OVA was witthe AI taking over the singer and going after the pilot, I did like the frist one and the the butchered one with the female lead, so I am watching M7 and think this is what anime is about song, character over story and action kinda like BGC only with more plot holes LOL.

can someone give me or point me to a nub friendly time line , not nesscerly as events unfold but all the series released to date.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-27, 22:25   Link #100
zalem

A lot of people bash Macross 7, but I personally loved it. It was a hell of a lot of fun. And hey, that's a huge part of what I watch anime for...to be entertained. Granted, it's been many, many years since I watched M7 but I remember it fondly.