AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-09-23, 21:47   Link #1
ArCainum

Best Dub

Same as worst dub, but instead the best dubs! I'm usually not a fun of dubbing, but I found that Full Metal Alchemist had really good dubbing, and good jap audio.
ArCainum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 23:08   Link #2
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Nerima Daikon Brothers. The subbed version bored me but the dub had me dying of laughter.
Old 2007-09-24, 00:16   Link #3
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Really? I gotta check it out then.

I still stand by my statement that Steamboy was god damn good dubbing. Patrick Stewart just owns so much as the old guy, its not even funny.

Of course, I still like the dubbing of Gundam Wing/Escaflowne (mostly the same actors). Those two are the main reasons why I still have faith on dubbing.

And who could forget the original english Vegeta voice? That guy is head and tails above any of the Vegetas I have ever heard.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 00:54   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
^
Really? I gotta check it out then.

I still stand by my statement that Steamboy was god damn good dubbing. Patrick Stewart just owns so much as the old guy, its not even funny.

Of course, I still like the dubbing of Gundam Wing/Escaflowne (mostly the same actors). Those two are the main reasons why I still have faith on dubbing.

And who could forget the original english Vegeta voice? That guy is head and tails above any of the Vegetas I have ever heard.
All those people including the Vegeta VA (Brian Drummond) belong to the Canadian Voice Talent Agency called Ocean Group. To me they are the best of the best in English voice acting and have done work for countless cartoons, games and other forms of voice over, including some live acting.

I'd probably have to say Gundam Wing was the first and best show I've ever seen seen dubbed properly. Part of the reason I got into Gundam so much was based on just how revolutionary the TV Dub was for a time when the norm was to hack shows up and rework them for a western audience. I had to see more of this mystical anime meta-franchise that was infinitely above anything I'd ever seen before, for the sheer fact it was the real deal (keep in mind this was years before fansubs would become readily available for me to sample a multitude of series and genres). Previously, the Sailor Moon S/SS Dub on YTV , which used the original background music (god forbid. Seriously this was a HUGE deal back in 90's North American Broadcast anime) had seemed like a godsend for it's fairly good retention of plot and character elements, and the original BGM music (Seriously at the time keeping the Japanese BGM was just not done....EVER, and even having shows retain over 50% of the original dialogue was seen as doing a damn good job). Gundam Wing topped it for keeping pretty much 100% of the original plot (only changes were some minor cursing) and I also believe current standards in dubbing owe no small thanks to Gundam Wing for smashing popularity records in broadcast anime and showing uncut and unaltered plotwise was the way to go.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 01:04   Link #5
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Pretty much anything by ADV; someone already mentioned Nerima Daikon Brothers, but I highly recommend their other, higher profile titles such as Azumanga Daioh and Elfen Lied. Welcome to the NHK's dub looks amazing from the first episode I watched on their website, already.

Animaze is also an excellent dubbing studio. They are responsible for Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, GitS: SAC, Wolf's Rain, Akira, and more...
Old 2007-09-24, 01:11   Link #6
TheMP3000
You got to envy this guy.

Send a message via AIM to TheMP3000 Send a message via MSN to TheMP3000
The 5 best dubs I've watched in the last year would be the following:

GUNxSWORD(New Generation), Gankutsuou(Bang Zoom), Le Chevalier D'Eon(ADV), Rumbling Hearts(FUNimation) and oddly enough, Shakugan no Shana(Ocean Studios)... yeah, a few surprises.
TheMP3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 01:18   Link #7
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
TheMP3000, I think my avatar is slightly more GAR than yours.

I would like to mention that Ocean Studios is good, yeah; and they're located just across the strait from me. Brad Swaile regularly attends AnimeEvolution, the largest anime convention in western Canada, held right in his hometown of Vancouver. I urge anybody who lives in the area to hurry on up next August! I'll see you there. Anyway, enough of that shameless plug...

Ironically, I hardly ever watch dubs, but when I do they're almost always the good ones. Go figure.
Old 2007-09-24, 09:04   Link #8
Oppius
Banned

Gundam Seed: I agree the original Japanese is better than the English dub but I found Kira's and Athrun's Japanese seiyuus just over-acting,especially when both of them fight each other.Rau's slight British accent also very good although its a little weird at first.I also found that Cagalli's english voice is better than the original Japanese one because for me her Japanese voice sounds too masculine.This is the only anime I enjoyed better in English dub than the original Japanese one.

Rurouni Kenshin: While is not perfect,the English dub is remarkably very good,if compared any anime that same age as this one.I also prefer Kenshin's English voice better than Japanese one because he sounds too feminine.

All of these just based on my opinions alone.So don't give me some reputation points if you disagree with me.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 13:47   Link #9
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Black Lagoon: Some of the Western jokes work much better in English.
Old 2007-09-24, 14:07   Link #10
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

I'd say Hellsing.
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 14:21   Link #11
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaR32 View Post
Black Lagoon: Some of the Western jokes work much better in English.
I think that is one of those Dubs where the japanese track is the one that makes ears bleed and the english is a savior lol.
Old 2007-09-24, 14:23   Link #12
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoto View Post
I think that is one of those Dubs where the japanese track is the one that makes ears bleed and the english is a savior lol.
For some reason Cowboy Bebop is that way to me, too. Probably the overall western feel.
Old 2007-09-24, 16:47   Link #13
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

I would agree with Black Lagoon if it wasn't for Revy...everyone else is flawless. Revy goes from a tough sexy chick to (what sounds like) a preteen girl trying to sound tough...but Dutch, Rock and Benny are full of win.

I would say Blood+, Samurai Champloo and Gungrave are all excellent

Last edited by DazarGaidin; 2007-09-24 at 18:12.
DazarGaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 16:53   Link #14
sothis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishi View Post
Pretty much anything by ADV; someone already mentioned Nerima Daikon Brothers, but I highly recommend their other, higher profile titles such as Azumanga Daioh and Elfen Lied. Welcome to the NHK's dub looks amazing from the first episode I watched on their website, already.

Animaze is also an excellent dubbing studio. They are responsible for Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, GitS: SAC, Wolf's Rain, Akira, and more...
Though this is MOSTLY correct, I can tell you (having reviewed most of the screeners they send to me) that it's definitely not always the case. Welcome to the NHK's dub is definitely amazing, it's probably one of the top 3 they've put out (just finished V1 of that). Favorite of all time is Papuwa (also put out by ADV)... the dub is WAY WAY WAY funnier than the sub.

An example of a godawful and recent-ish ADV dub is Maburaho. I know there are others, but I can't recall any atm. Their dubs definitely are MILES above all the other studios, though (though Manga is getting a lot better).
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 21:49   Link #15
FLiPMaStAZ

i'd have to go with Full Metal Panic though all dubs sound weird and not flowing if you have watched the subbed version before
FLiPMaStAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 22:26   Link #16
Jechtsphere
The Black Swordsman

Send a message via MSN to Jechtsphere
Black Lagoon from the little I've heard.

Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop.

Berserk.
Jechtsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 22:29   Link #17
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

Yeah Gundam Wing has great dubbing

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 23:51   Link #18
pingu^
Mishi-Corp

tough to say, i thought the Golden Boy dub was fairly good. Same with Akira. someone already mentioned steamboy...and Appleseed was good in English too.
pingu^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 03:04   Link #19
sothis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jechtsphere View Post
Black Lagoon from the little I've heard.

Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop.

Berserk.
Berserk wins for having the most hilarious outtakes ever, hands down. Anyone who watches the DVDs should see them! XD (for those who haven't seen them, it's outtakes based on the dub)
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 16:13   Link #20
hideFan

I'll stand by Slayers being one of my favorite dubs.... But something we can all agree on would be Paranoia Agent maybe?
hideFan is offline   Reply With Quote