AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Kai Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 45 47.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 42.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 8.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-24, 08:44   Link #21
MezzoDragon

She had it coming.
Old 2007-08-24, 09:24   Link #22
MrZombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
The sudden change bugged me too. It made me feel like I missed an episode in the middle or something. It wouldn't have felt so "unnatural" if they gave just a little bit of foreshadowing at the end of the previous episode.
There was foreshadowing though, not in episode seven mind you. It was in episode six. Right before Rika's born in the new world, she shows the world of Tatarigoroshi-hen and says "This is a dead end world."

At the start of this episode we're left in as much shock about him coming back as Rika. (Even though they finally show us what causes Teppei to return and it's something that no one can actually prevent.)

Really Teppei comes back, boom it's over, it was a nice chance and now there's nothing left.
Old 2007-08-24, 10:18   Link #23
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ yup, and to reinforce this point, here is what Rika said during the Minagoroshi prologue, when she was introducing the worlds :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederica
This fragment is called 'Tatarigoroshi'.

......Satoko's uncle came home, took Satoko with him, and locked himself away.

In a way, it was the unluckiest world.
A complete dead end, no matter how hard Rika tried.
If it happens again, I figure it would be best to cry about our lack of luck and just give up on that world.

Fortunately, her uncle rarely comes back.
In a way, Teppei's presence is enough to create RULE X altogether (as shown with Keiichi in Tatarigoroshi-hen and Shion in this chapter) along with the huge distress and despair of her dearest friend in such state.

Ironically, if Satoko's unhappiness doesn't happen (so if Rina isn't killed), it can lead to Rena's unhappiness, so Tsumihoroboshi-hen. This is the reason why Teppei is a very huge piece of unhappiness among Rika's friend, in a way he is extremely a black omen, either being there or not...
Old 2007-08-24, 11:07   Link #24
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
Ironically, if Satoko's unhappiness doesn't happen (so if Rina isn't killed), it can lead to Rena's unhappiness, so Tsumihoroboshi-hen.
Is it like this?
Spoiler:
Old 2007-08-24, 11:17   Link #25
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Is it like this?
Spoiler:
not exactly. Rina always goes around Mr Ryuuguu. However, she is kinda too greedy and target several guys at the same time.
In some scenario, Rina made a very bad mistake and hit on Yakuza. Of course, the aftermath is what you saw in this episode, leading her to her demise. This is the trigger of "Houjou Teppei returns back home". (and before you ask, NO it is NOT the sonozaki, they are other yakuza)

Otherwise, if that doesn't happen, Rina and Teppei still pimp money.

after that, tsumihoroboshi CAN happen if Rena is too tense and/or she discovered what Rina is truely plotting with her father.
If Rina doesn't die, that doesn't mean it will be tsumihoroboshi. But until Rena complains to her Father, the later is under the full charm of Rina, and doesn't suspect anything.

Rina is a canon part of the past, and She and Mr Ryuuguu know each other way before the current present.
Old 2007-08-24, 11:39   Link #26
MrZombie

I'm not sure that Rina's death isn't caused by some faction of the Sonozaki. I mean look at the state her body's found in Tatarigoroshi-hen. It certainly seems like the kind of death the Sonozakis would give someone as a warning to others. And if it's not them, it certainly would be a group that's at least familiar with the Sonozakis.
Old 2007-08-24, 11:40   Link #27
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
not exactly. Rina always goes around Mr Ryuuguu. However, she is kinda too greedy and target several guys at the same time.
In some scenario, Rina made a very bad mistake and hit on Yakuza. Of course, the aftermath is what you saw in this episode, leading her to her demise. This is the trigger of "Houjou Teppei returns back home". (and before you ask, NO it is NOT the sonozaki, they are other yakuza)

Otherwise, if that doesn't happen, Rina and Teppei still pimp money.

after that, tsumihoroboshi CAN happen if Rena is too tense and/or she discovered what Rina is truely plotting with her father.
If Rina doesn't die, that doesn't mean it will be tsumihoroboshi. But until Rena complains to her Father, the later is under the full charm of Rina, and doesn't suspect anything.

Rina is a canon part of the past, and She and Mr Ryuuguu know each other way before the current present.
Minagoroshi-hen: Can't remember if they explained in the anime, but recall that Rena sucessfully drove off Rina, by taking over his father's money (a stratergy came up by Mion, after they did some talking). Rina basically went away, since there's no money to get from Rena's father, and the tragerdy that triggers Tsumihoroboshi-hen was adverted.

Later on, we see that Rina is found by Yakuza guys, for screwing around too much. Recall the tattoo that Rina has, and we know that the corpse that was shown in the beginning of Tatarigoroshi-hen is indeed hers. From Tatarigoroshi-hen and Tsumihoroboshi-hen, we can deduce that once Rina is dead, Teppei would lose his source of income, and is forced to go back to Hinamizawa.

Teppei and Rina doesn't always shows up in Hinamizawa, and doesn't always target Rena's father. We do have other arcs, after all.

Final note: I am not 100% sure, but I think those Yakuza that shows up and kills Rina DOES belong to the Sonozaki family. During that scene in the game, Kasai shows up and does the talking instead.
Old 2007-08-24, 12:47   Link #28
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZombie View Post
I'm not sure that Rina's death isn't caused by some faction of the Sonozaki. I mean look at the state her body's found in Tatarigoroshi-hen. It certainly seems like the kind of death the Sonozakis would give someone as a warning to others. And if it's not them, it certainly would be a group that's at least familiar with the Sonozakis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
Final note: I am not 100% sure, but I think those Yakuza that shows up and kills Rina DOES belong to the Sonozaki family. During that scene in the game, Kasai shows up and does the talking instead.
Indeed, this TIPS and that one indicate this might be the Sonozaki, while Rina was having fun on her job location. I'm kinda concerned about what was shown on Mion and Keiichi's discussion during Tatarigoroshi-hen.
Ho well, looks like i stated something to hasty anyway.

Quote:
Teppei and Rina doesn't always shows up in Hinamizawa, and doesn't always target Rena's father. We do have other arcs, after all.
also Rias, what do you mean is Rina isn't always around Mr. Ryuuguu in the past? It would be hard to believe he would go "back to normal" without her, as far as i could read. Again, i don't expect her to be always around him, considering how greedy she and Teppei are anyway
That said, I firmly thought it was because Rena eavesdrop that commotion where Teppei and Rina were doing their usual shows with 2 wussy guys. And that she begun to get confirmaiton with kasai's explanations. Aside of this, i'm wondering how Rena can go through this extreme action while she doesn't know anything of this. *scratches his head*
Old 2007-08-24, 13:15   Link #29
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
I'm kinda concerned about what was shown on Mion and Keiichi's discussion during Tatarigoroshi-hen.
Do you mean in the game or show
Old 2007-08-24, 13:43   Link #30
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Do you mean in the game or show
Both.
Keiichi asked if Mion could try to make the "curse targets Houjou Teppei", claiming he doesn't care if she is one of the commanders or not etc.

Mion clearly says that she is just Sonozaki Mion, and perfectly aknowledges the fact the Sonozaki had a bad reputation. However, she adds they wouldn't kill anyone, whoever it is, in any circumstance.

this claim is supported by what Mion revealed to Shion in Meakashi-hen: Oryou didn't do anything to Satoshi etc. (despite what she claimed about the Houjou etc)
If we take in account the amount of bluffs they accumulated (the incidents, the kidnapping etc), the Sonozaki don't really look like bloodthirsty yakuza.
Old 2007-08-24, 13:50   Link #31
Rias

Quote:

also Rias, what do you mean is Rina isn't always around Mr. Ryuuguu in the past? It would be hard to believe he would go "back to normal" without her, as far as i could read. Again, i don't expect her to be always around him, considering how greedy she and Teppei are anyway
That said, I firmly thought it was because Rena eavesdrop that commotion where Teppei and Rina were doing their usual shows with 2 wussy guys. And that she begun to get confirmaiton with kasai's explanations. Aside of this, i'm wondering how Rena can go through this extreme action while she doesn't know anything of this. *scratches his head*

What I meant was that I don't think Rina targets Mr. Ryuugu in every arc. I think some arcs they just hang around and targets other people, and of course we have the arcs where Mr.Ryuugu is targeted (Tsumihoroboshi/Minagoroshi-hen). We know that Rina's demise triggers Teppei's return, as shown in Tatarigoroshi/Tsumihoroboshi/Minagoroshi-hen, but we can't say that Teppei not returning is a result of Rina working on Mr.Ryuugu.
Old 2007-08-24, 13:55   Link #32
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ great, i feared i was wrong from the very beginning all this time, you just removed a torn on my foot

I guess if Rina targets Mr. Ryuuguu, chances Rena kills her are high enough.
But i'm just wondering how Rina can change her agenda like this. or maybe their relationship is recent? (i can't believe this, since this is the trigger of Rena's "Hauu behaviour" and should have at least last more than 1 month, otherwise, it would be weird for Keiichi to encounter suddenly this chance.)

geh... we can tell the variables in higurashi are so unpredictable ~~"
Old 2007-08-24, 13:55   Link #33
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
the Sonozaki don't really look like bloodthirsty yakuza.
Mion's dad is a yakuza boss in the region, so technically, Sonozaki does control the yakuza. However, since Mion's dad was wed into the family, he does not have the right to succeed the Sonozaki house (Mion does). So I guess you could say that the yakuza business is something that occurs alongside other true Sonozaki family businesses.

If I remember right, the people who got to Rina are indeed Sonozaki yakuzas. What determines whether or not she is caught depends on how greedy she got in that particular world, I think.

---

Great episode again. We're finally starting up on the first hurdle that Minagoroshi-hen poses. Teppei's return, like everyone mentioned earlier, is not absolute. But when it does happen, it means certain bad ending for Rika. Up until now, we have only seen 6s in our dice throws, Teppei's return would be the 1 that has shown up for the first time.

I can't really pick out any flaws since I can't remember the game details myself anymore either, but as far as I can tell, they're following the game story very tightly. The sudden change in atmosphere is expected, since that was pretty much what it was like it in the game: get you filled up with hope and optimism, and then kick you down a ravine with Teppei's return. What's important is what Keiichi will do about it. The next episode will be Keiichi's turn to shine where he truly make uses of his charisma and reasoning skills properly for the first time.

Even without the game's original music, the show could use some up-tempo tracks or two here, it feels kind of weird to hear that same old slow suspensive tone even during the more intensive scenes.

From the preview, it looks like they're not skipping out on Keiichi's recruitment of Kameda-kun and other otakus Angel Mort customers either. That was a great scene so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Oh yeah, this week's episode corresponds with these TIPS:
- Moments Before Skipping Town
- The Start of Trouble
- Reception Memo
Old 2007-08-24, 14:33   Link #34
Davidj

Quote:
^ great, i feared i was wrong from the very beginning all this time, you just removed a torn on my foot

I guess if Rina targets Mr. Ryuuguu, chances Rena kills her are high enough.
But i'm just wondering how Rina can change her agenda like this. or maybe their relationship is recent? (i can't believe this, since this is the trigger of Rena's "Hauu behaviour"
It isn't, actually. Even without Rina moving into town, Rena still has the burden of her psychotic episode leading to her father's divorce and depression. Rena has decided that pretending not to be depressed and stressed is the way to keep bad things from happening. The pretend Rena is quite stupid, alway happy and wildly obsessed with cuteness. The real Rena is probably the smartest member of the group*, and pretends to be "treasure-hunting" in a junkyard so that she can take a break from pretending to be cute and happy and just stare up at a starmap and fantasise about the aliens taking her away from her rotten life.
Old 2007-08-24, 14:53   Link #35
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ of course Rina alone wouldn't be the trigger.
but as far as i can remember, Rena explained her "hauu" attitude was mainly aimed to make her forget about her "current" families issues.

but i guess it isn't only Rina, but might be the current erratic situation with her father, considering how he is slacking off with job and the like.

As for her hauu behaviour, It is quite difficult to really say if she "pretends" or is really like this (of course, she never was like this to begin with). Of course, she is really mature and sharp, but considering how consistant her behaviour is, it becomes part of her personality somehow. (not a complete lie, i assume, rather a shell which imprinted somehow on her true personality, as the benefit and habit are quite present)
Old 2007-08-24, 15:59   Link #36
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

The .ASS file is done, so subs should come soon
Old 2007-08-25, 00:40   Link #37
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

The sub is out now
Old 2007-08-25, 01:22   Link #38
Pakxenon
popcorn

I shat bricks when Rika told off Takano and Irie. Later, K1 shows off his GARness. Then finally, when they banded together before the credits, I fucking cried. ;_;

But yes, it was quite the turnaround of mood. Just an episode back we see a hopeful Rika, then in 5 minutes her hopes are completely crushed. T______T
Old 2007-08-25, 06:07   Link #39
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
^ of course Rina alone wouldn't be the trigger.
but as far as i can remember, Rena explained her "hauu" attitude was mainly aimed to make her forget about her "current" families issues.

but i guess it isn't only Rina, but might be the current erratic situation with her father, considering how he is slacking off with job and the like.

As for her hauu behaviour, It is quite difficult to really say if she "pretends" or is really like this (of course, she never was like this to begin with). Of course, she is really mature and sharp, but considering how consistant her behaviour is, it becomes part of her personality somehow. (not a complete lie, i assume, rather a shell which imprinted somehow on her true personality, as the benefit and habit are quite present)
Spoiler for on the story:
Old 2007-08-25, 07:58   Link #40
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Man this was a massive shift to be sure. You had things going well and then your shot down hard. That bastard Teppei making a return really helps to mess things up to be sure. I was worried he'd come back as well as Rika early in the episode. Trying to figure out a way certainly had my mind running in circles.

Poor Rika really getting smacked from the highs to the bottom of the barrel. I could feel with her appeal to have that guy taken out. Really this world is one weird combo of the lucky and the unlucky. With Rina dead the police are too close for them to act. Was shocked by Rika freaking out but I guess its understandable considering all she's been going through. Plus losing contact with Akasaka is a problem.

The memories continue playing a role in the others fighting to keep trying and Keiichi from losing his head again. This would've been a new result with Shion being the one to take down Satoko's uncle. Keiichi was really impressive halting Shion's rampage and seeking real council from his parents and not just to help his perfect murder plot.

Was nice to have Rika back in it at the end. Even if she feels its hopeless she can't just give up on Satoko.