AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-04-12, 08:01   Link #1021
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

After episode 2, I'm beginning to have some faith in this. Quality issues from episode 1 seem to have resolved. OP was a good one, love that piano. Gentle mood and lyrics of the ED got my approval as well. Yuri and Otonashi both got decent character development without slowing the pacing down at all. Some juicy tense moments, some humour, some decent action - it's doing a bit more than enough to tick the important boxes for me. I'm not expecting utter brilliance from this, but so far I'm not finding any glaring fault in this, which has never happened when I've watched other series with Key origins. And maybe that is because Key has decided to go to someone other than KyoAni.

Will continue to watch this. Liking how it's conveying the mystique that the characters are absorbed in with and how they struggle to adapt to their bizzare environments. Music in this episode was much better than in episode 1. Yuri's flashback really showed what she was all about, what she believed in and why. I get where she's coming from and I admire her tenacity. Biggest concern is whether the plot will develop into something substantial enough to justify what comes before the inevitable revelations but not that big a concern at present. I'm content to just sit back, chill and let these guys make me laugh, gasp and raise the eyebrow. It's been a pleasant surprise thus far - did have this earmarked months back as wanting to see this one, but compared to most of what April has offered thus far, it's got an edge and intrigue most of them don't have. Hope this stays the distance.

As for Angel - well - considering what she does a few minutes into Episode 1 - kind of hard to see her as innocent after that. Especially after one has watched Higurashi. XD
Old 2010-04-12, 08:07   Link #1022
Tsuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I agree with this being weird... but it could be an indication that she was once human, which would be an interesting line of thinking.
For some reason it didn't bother me at all. If she's called "Student council president" and has independent action (not an NPC), she could be a superior being to those puppets, right? That could mean she's simply a human "blessed by God", with powers granted to her, with a mission in that place. Not unusual for Tenshi to bleed if you think like that.
Tsuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 08:20   Link #1023
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
what i also find interesting is that Tenshi bleeds.
Besides her GS, Tenshi's body is basically the same as the others but with supercharged healing. She does not possess superior speed or strength. IMO it's definitely possible to kill her if you do it right, she doesn't use distortion until she's shot so if you snipe her head it would probably succeed. She would probably just come back like everyone else so the whole killing thing is pointless.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 08:22   Link #1024
Xephis

Anyone else on Tenshi's side so far? I suppose a lot of people will point to ep1's intro for her being in the enemy role, but I'm a little amazed at Oto's willingness to go along with it and actually shoot. It just... baffles me.

I suppose I might be putting too much of myself and my own viewpoints. I can understand a vastly different set of responses outside the more normal boundries, where Oto's probably a bit younger and less read. To him Tenshi's the one instigating, whereas I don't feel like she is.

But we really do need to see further. It's just, with his initial desire to actually talk to Tenshi, I'm wondering why he hasn't tried harder to feel her out, talk to her, ask questions.

Of course I'm in this weird "Aw. Tenshi seems all lonely..." point of view, and I'd probably feel that way right up until she stabbed me and took me apart for my troubles.

I do note (Sorry, I haven't read every page, I tried to read through what I could but there's tons) that when called Tenshi, she was confused and never acknowledged the name. So it seems like what she is could be wide open. She might even be human and like everyone else, but better at things than they are. Or this is... something completely different, maybe even a Gantz style... aliens grabbing people at moments of death for amusement, assuming they really have died, since while they all seem convinced they're dead, I don't remember anyone actually saying "I remember dying." (I don't really believe it, but it's always good to keep an open mind for interesting ideas and guesses) (Ep 2 opens up some more possibilities IMO, if it's what it sounds like)
Xephis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 08:26   Link #1025
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xephis View Post
But we really do need to see further. It's just, with his initial desire to actually talk to Tenshi, I'm wondering why he hasn't tried harder to feel her out, talk to her, ask questions.

Of course I'm in this weird "Aw. Tenshi seems all lonely..." point of view, and I'd probably feel that way right up until she stabbed me and took me apart for my troubles.
Yeah he probably doesn't want to risk another stabbing. Just my guess.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-04-12 at 08:41.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 08:38   Link #1026
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I dunno about you guys... but until they start showing Tenshi drowning puppies or kicking kittens, I'm kinda pitying her for being the target of so much aggression. That look on her face when she sees her own blood really tugs at the heartstrings.
Considering the traps were made for her, not the SSS guys, she's more likely to drown herself to save a puppy -- so I'm with you on that
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 08:40   Link #1027
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka View Post
Considering the traps were made for her, not the SSS guys, she's more likely to drown herself to save a puppy -- so I'm with you on that
To be honest, unlike that dumbass Shiina, I think she would've seen it was a stuffed toy a mile away.

I probably would've liked Angel a lot more if they'd stuck to her original design. Apparently she was supposed to be similar to Ryougi Shiki.
Old 2010-04-12, 09:10   Link #1028
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
I do note (Sorry, I haven't read every page, I tried to read through what I could but there's tons) that when called Tenshi, she was confused and never acknowledged the name. So it seems like what she is could be wide open.
While what she is is very much up for debate she did sprout wings in the OP

Quote:
I don't remember anyone actually saying "I remember dying." (I don't really believe it, but it's always good to keep an open mind for interesting ideas and guesses) (Ep 2 opens up some more possibilities IMO, if it's what it sounds like)
What's-his-name remembers being killed in a car crash both in the prequel novel and manga. You won't remember your death if part of your brain was damaged as part of your death.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 11:06   Link #1029
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchi View Post
Hm? Why does that bother you exactly?

The fact that she takes violent action, but doesn't seem to be precisely vicious (just efficient) helps, yeah.
Didnt say it bothered me said it was interesting. I find it interesting because of as much as she is the villain in the eyes of the S3 her facial expressions when she gets shot and her just her mannerisms in general dont fit the profile. Its like the writers make sure to show her bleeding and always do a close up of her facial expression when it happens. Its almost like they are purposely trying to invoke sympathy from the audience. In my case it has been successful.
Old 2010-04-12, 11:20   Link #1030
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Didnt say it bothered me said it was interesting. I find it interesting because of as much as she is the villain in the eyes of the S3 her facial expressions when she gets shot and her just her mannerisms in general dont fit the profile. Its like the writers make sure to show her bleeding and always do a close up of her facial expression when it happens. Its almost like they are purposely trying to invoke sympathy from the audience. In my case it has been successful.
I was pretty sure they keep doing a close up of her emotionless face to point out how much she's Made Of Iron.

As far as I can see, she only has one facial expression and one body language: Terminator.
Old 2010-04-12, 11:39   Link #1031
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I was pretty sure they keep doing a close up of her emotionless face to point out how much she's Made Of Iron.

As far as I can see, she only has one facial expression and one body language: Terminator.
I dont know iv gone back and rewatched a couple of scenes and its funny when she gets shot it like its her first time. When Otonoshi shoots her on the bridge she actually looks shocked.

I still cant think of her as the bad guy i agree with Skane until i see her baby tossing or using puppies for target practice ill reserve judgement.
Old 2010-04-12, 11:48   Link #1032
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

For those with NND accounts:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10355839 -> ED animation reversed. Possible order for BAD END scenario. The ED song is quite fitting too.

Also, PV for next ep: http://www.angelbeats.jp/story2/ep02.html. Looks like it's gonna be about GDM, and we'll finally have Yui's proper introduction.

On Tenshi, I don't think she's evil at all. After all, I believe she's merely following orders from "God" (i.e. she's just doing her job). She's not extremely aggressive, doesn't hold grudges, fights cleanly, doesn't overkill, and will always help you on your regular "afterlife" needs and duties.
Old 2010-04-12, 12:56   Link #1033
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Re-sized, and stolen for sig, hope you don't mind xD. I can change it back, on the off chance you do though.
That is a pretty bad resize, the scale and proportion is messed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Yuri≠Haruhi.

It was a good laugh back when that first promo pic of Yuri popped up, and the 'shopped version helped too. But that's past. The only similarity between Yuri and Haruhi is being The Leader. I don't think that's enough ground to say that Yuri is "Haruhi-like".
Defintely. THey are really different. Haruhi would not have cared like Yuri does. They are great character though, so its win, win.

Quote:
I dont know iv gone back and rewatched a couple of scenes and its funny when she gets shot it like its her first time. When Otonoshi shoots her on the bridge she actually looks shocked.

I still cant think of her as the bad guy i agree with Skane until i see her baby tossing or using puppies for target practice ill reserve judgement.
I agree with you too. She didn't kill Otonoshi right away in the first episode, she spoke to him, and she only stabbed him in the heart for a quick kill. Not to mention her character design is on the cute side.

We shall see.
Old 2010-04-12, 12:56   Link #1034
Serffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post

Also, PV for next ep: http://www.angelbeats.jp/story2/ep02.html. Looks like it's gonna be about GDM, and we'll finally have Yui's proper introduction.

On Tenshi, I don't think she's evil at all. After all, I believe she's merely following orders from "God" (i.e. she's just doing her job). She's not extremely aggressive, doesn't hold grudges, fights cleanly, doesn't overkill, and will always help you on your regular "afterlife" needs and duties.
Looks like next episode will mainly be about Iwasawa, looking forward to that.
Tenshi always looks so lonely and sad. I wonder what she would do if someone were to give her a hug, would she stab you for "irregular behaviour"?

Spoiler for PV Tenshi :
Serffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 13:22   Link #1035
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i bet that Tenshi was the first to rebel, or the first to accept what that place was, and was thus punished/rewarded with her role in the school. perhaps to keep people from making the same mistake as her?

she seems devoid of emotion, but it could be that she just sealed them within herself after whatever event led her to the school.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 14:03   Link #1036
klare

Quote:
I probably would've liked Angel a lot more if they'd stuck to her original design. Apparently she was supposed to be similar to Ryougi Shiki.
do u mean her design in the novel looks like Shiki?

Quote:

u should see her face when she plays piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i bet that Tenshi was the first to rebel, or the first to accept what that place was, and was thus punished/rewarded with her role in the school. perhaps to keep people from making the same mistake as her?

she seems devoid of emotion, but it could be that she just sealed them within herself after whatever event led her to the school.
yes i think she is on the good side, trying to prepare everybody to enter heaven (joking, i still think this might be a virtual Matrix-like world)
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 14:37   Link #1037
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
do u mean her design in the novel looks like Shiki?
Haven't read the novels so i wouldn't know. But it says in Wikipedia that "Angel's original concept began with the idea of a brave, fighting girl. Maeda cites that Angel's image had changed considerably over the development process and that originally she was similar to Shiki Ryōgi from Kara no Kyōkai. Eventually, Angel's concept changed to being a silent and mysterious girl."

Source:http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/248/248845/

Quote:
u should see her face when she plays piano
True enough. Her body language especially is signficantly different to the Terminator style she usually employs.
Old 2010-04-12, 14:58   Link #1038
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I agree with you too. She didn't kill Otonoshi right away in the first episode, she spoke to him, and she only stabbed him in the heart for a quick kill. Not to mention her character design is on the cute side.

We shall see.
Well i think we should remember why she stab him. She didnt stab him out right she only did it when he questioned if he was really dead or not. Soooooooo whats the best way to make someone believe they are dead. Now that i think about the situation it was pretty logical i think i wouldve done it too lol.
Old 2010-04-12, 15:04   Link #1039
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Well i think we should remember why she stab him. She didnt stab him out right she only did it when he questioned if he was really dead or not. Soooooooo whats the best way to make someone believe they are dead. Now that i think about the situation it was pretty logical i think i wouldve done it too lol.
Remind me not to say hello to you if you have a blade in your hand.

And "member" is spelling wrong in your location field.
Old 2010-04-12, 15:09   Link #1040
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Even when they make clear that dying hurts? *shudders* I agree with DragoZERO.

Tags
key