AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-07-27, 11:28   Link #341
Jourdal

I never liked Harems...ever...i hope this isn't the case...we were all thinking the moe face was for him but she's used it on 2 other already..makes everything..man and woman bend to it's will lol.

We'll see how this plays out..i've never dropped a manga series before..i like to finish what i start so we'll see.

I think that she DOES love him..as someone mentioned she's actually not a people person..her charisma comes from the intimidation..most are intimidated into falling for her..the only one who isn't is Zenkichi..he wasn't even that surprised by the kiss he even had a term for it and deemed it rare..while Akune looked like his soul creeped out of his mouth.

She's not going to realize until her some one shatters her god like powers...but who will it be...
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 12:16   Link #342
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
The pointless yuri kiss made my already small interest in this manga even smaller.

It's no wonder that this manga is sinking and should have cancellation sooner or later if things will continue with such pointless crap.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 12:51   Link #343
ultramojones
Pfjaklsq of Greatness

I agree with those who said the manga is starting to get boring. It feels like an ordinary high school manga plot. Though I admit the yuri kiss spiked my attention, it was only for a brief moment. Especially since I just realized Medaka didn't reserve those for Zenkichi. It could be just me but, with these recent chapters, I find it hard to believe that Medaka actually "loves" Zenkichi. It's more like she's just possessive of her "things". Remember that the oneshot and the series are 2 different things.

IMO the only way to get interesting again is to work on the unique love interest, which I believe was the reason many of us started reading this in the first place. There's a female treasurer + Shiranui + Judo lady, make something happen! It's not like there's not already a setup!
ultramojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 12:56   Link #344
Tiberium Wolf

I think it's interesting as it is... if get to work on romance/love issues it will get boring. We have all other mangas with that already.
Old 2009-07-27, 13:04   Link #345
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Not really understanding the people that are calling it boring. It's just as interesting as it's been since the beginning, and i like it for that. Will agree with Tiberium Wolf, we don't need this story to enter romance territory, because we have other titles for that. It's good how it is.
Old 2009-07-27, 14:06   Link #346
Darknemo2000

I do not really think it is 'good' as it is. being fith in the worst ratings is not what I would call good, and if it continues (right now it keeps balancing on be and not to be line) cancellation of this manga will happen.

Yuri kisses will not have all that much affect. After all Hatsukoi had plenty of fanservice and MUCH better artwork and still was canceled soon enough, Medaka is not popular enough so you could talk surely about it being continued so I do not think it is good enough.

Romance helps but again the yuri kisses pretty much kills all of the romance since it shows that Medaka do not have all that much feelings to others and just uses them as tools. Zenkichi is no different - he is just a tool for her, and her 'jealousy' is just an anger over someone using her tool rather than showing some different feelings.

I really do not see any love in Madaka's actions at all and her reversed harem is getting kind of lame.
Old 2009-07-27, 14:37   Link #347
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I do not really think it is 'good' as it is. being fith in the worst ratings is not what I would call good, and if it continues (right now it keeps balancing on be and not to be line) cancellation of this manga will happen.

Yuri kisses will not have all that much affect. After all Hatsukoi had plenty of fanservice and MUCH better artwork and still was canceled soon enough, Medaka is not popular enough so you could talk surely about it being continued so I do not think it is good enough.

Romance helps but again the yuri kisses pretty much kills all of the romance since it shows that Medaka do not have all that much feelings to others and just uses them as tools. Zenkichi is no different - he is just a tool for her, and her 'jealousy' is just an anger over someone using her tool rather than showing some different feelings.

I really do not see any love in Madaka's actions at all and her reversed harem is getting kind of lame.

You're right, author is balancing on thin line now, there is no obvious plot (althought I think there is), just 12 introductionary chapters, and we could expect a few more. 5th member of SC has to join. Author made Medaka an Alpha (fe)male, she is treating main protagonist badly, introduced bishi bastard as a one of main characters. Any of above is not appreciated by readers of shounen manga. IMHO that new girl joined SC and was kissed by Medaka because if there would be a male in her place, Medaka Box wouldn't be any more a 5 from bottom in popularity pools, but dead last.
Since chapter 5 I was expecting a plot, where Medaka actions will force Zenkichi to abandon her, and that will cause her to change her personality. I'm just afraid that manga may not survive long enought for that...
BTW - I expect in next chapter a little interaction between Zenkichi and Isahaya (track team girl), mostly because of her reaction to Zenkichi on that page.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 14:44   Link #348
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I think it's interesting as it is... if get to work on romance/love issues it will get boring. We have all other mangas with that already.
I don't see how you can say that. If you have read the one-shot, on the first page it says "STUDENT COUNCIL - A BREEDING GROUND FOR ROMANCE". Sure the one-short story could be said to be a different entity in itself, but the fundamental theme should be the same.

Quote:

This is the point iam trying to get the other people on the forum to realize on the all along. There is no romance here: just her and the way she easily manipulate her harem using her abilities.

Quote:
I hope you're wrong, because if you're right that means Zenkichi accepted his role as a member of her harem. I think, he is too proud to be one of many Medaka lovers.
Haha... It was never his intention, which is why he refused to join in the first place. I am sure its really difficult to refuse a loved one who is practically begging you to help them. He knew what he was getting himself into, because he knows her best, but I really cant blame him. However, lets call it what it is, manipulation through love.
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 15:12   Link #349
Darknemo2000

At the same I kind of understand Shiroth and others - they are enjoying the manga as it is thus they call it good the way it is.

But if you look from practical point of view it almost always is better to end manga naturally instead of forced ending due to cancellation and thats what this manga has hanging over it for a while now.

It is not complete loser so there is a chance that others even less popular will be canceled first but the line is not that long...

To tell the truth I probably enjoyed the oneshot more than the actual series...

The reason why it is so low is that it lacks actual plot. Just some random introducing stuff but what it matters when it may not live long enough to get 'to the good part'.

Another thing is the reversed harem. In Shounen magazine this is a mistake. It will turn majority of audience against you. Not to mention that bishi batard becoming one of the mains and the girl is recruited but by a yuri kiss to that as well (thus adding another one to reversed harem) does not add all that much popularity points.

It makes the main character with whom majority readers sympathize look pretty much in a pathetic situation - no other female that could provide some concurrence to Medaka, who just dominates things, but differently from most of the similar dominating girls she does not look like have some genuine feelings behind it. She just looks like a possessive bitch using her tools and feeling about others as tools as well (and sadly main guy seems to fall into the same category too).

This combined with rather shallow characters and not awe striking artwork (it is not bad, but not something really superb either) just make a rather poor combination, as the ratings prove.

Yuri kisses wont save manga if thats the only thing that left. Juts like Htasukoi Limted was not saved by high amounts of fan service and great artwork, but becaus ethe plot was jumpy and lacked of focus (plus characters were pretty flat too) it ended up being cancelled.

Medaka Box seems to be heading the same road as well.
Old 2009-07-27, 16:00   Link #350
Jourdal

I agree with what you said..especially that i enjoyed the one shot more.
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 16:12   Link #351
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
At the same I kind of understand Shiroth and others - they are enjoying the manga as it is thus they call it good the way it is.

But if you look from practical point of view it almost always is better to end manga naturally instead of forced ending due to cancellation and thats what this manga has hanging over it for a while now.
Yeah it will be a huge shame if this will be canceled, i mean it's such a change to what we usually see in JUMP, and i love it for that. It would help if the series would focus a little bit on it's main characters then what it has been doing for the past couple of chapters though.
Old 2009-07-27, 16:16   Link #352
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
You're right, author is balancing on thin line now, there is no obvious plot (althought I think there is), just 12 introductionary chapters, and we could expect a few more.
There are lot of series without plot after some chs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
I don't see how you can say that. If you have read the one-shot, on the first page it says "STUDENT COUNCIL - A BREEDING GROUND FOR ROMANCE". Sure the one-short story could be said to be a different entity in itself, but the fundamental theme should be the same.
One-shot is one-shot. The fact they did the judo club over means there was a change in direction so one-shot is independent.

Anyway don't go fretting over the ratings. If it's canceled then it's canceled. It's not like a few ppl over could do anything anyway. If it goes by ratings then To-Love-Ru should be canceled too since it's rating is low too.
Old 2009-07-27, 16:34   Link #353
Arturro

Quote:
There are lot of series without plot after some chs.
I'm just whining After oneshot my expectations were high, series didn't meet them.

Quote:
Anyway don't go fretting over the ratings. If it's canceled then it's canceled. It's not like a few ppl over could do anything anyway. If it goes by ratings then To-Love-Ru should be canceled too since it's rating is low too.
I've heard that to-love-ru tankōbon sells well.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 16:41   Link #354
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Thats where you are wrong my friend. Tiberium Wolf, I would guess that you are rather new regarding this (not new in manga/anime but new in the whole rating/cancellation thing), because otherwise you would know that To-Love-Ru is a special case - it will always be at the bottom of the ratings and it will never be canceled just because of that. Why?

To-Love-Ru is a sinful pleasure. Many youths do not vote for it because they are to embarrassed about it (and yet they still read it). It is a public secret that To-Love-Ru ratings and reality do not match. It always sell well. Thats why it will be kept on releasing while it is always on the bottom of ratings - it is popular (and everyone knows that) yet it will never be expressed clearly because of the restriction the audience has.

Medaka Box is not on the same boat. It is not that fanservicy enough nor does it have the quality that you could start talk about sinful pleasure. It does not have a big supporting audience behind it either. The danger it being canceled is quite real. And yes you have to fret over ratings - this is JUMP. In any other magazine it may not be such big deal but in JUMP it is.

You probably know what it means to be mangaka at JUMP. You are always walking on the blade. At the same time - JUMP is popular and earnings are good. But at the same time requirements are quite strict, so yes you have to fret over ratings as long as it is released in JUMP, as JUMP are notorious for the speed they cancel the manga's with poor ratings.
Old 2009-07-27, 16:57   Link #355
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I think its fairly obvious that a strong form of jealousy is going to get Medaka to fully realize her feelings. So far, she's just been bitchy about Zens relationship with Shiranui. Its going to take a little more to push her.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 17:04   Link #356
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Thats where you are wrong my friend. Tiberium Wolf, I would guess that you are rather new regarding this (not new in manga/anime but new in the whole rating/cancellation thing), because otherwise you would know that To-Love-Ru is a special case - it will always be at the bottom of the ratings and it will never be canceled just because of that. Why?

To-Love-Ru is a sinful pleasure. Many youths do not vote for it because they are to embarrassed about it (and yet they still read it). It is a public secret that To-Love-Ru ratings and reality do not match. It always sell well. Thats why it will be kept on releasing while it is always on the bottom of ratings - it is popular (and everyone knows that) yet it will never be expressed clearly because of the restriction the audience has.

Medaka Box is not on the same boat. It is not that fanservicy enough nor does it have the quality that you could start talk about sinful pleasure. It does not have a big supporting audience behind it either. The danger it being canceled is quite real. And yes you have to fret over ratings - this is JUMP. In any other magazine it may not be such big deal but in JUMP it is.

You probably know what it means to be mangaka at JUMP. You are always walking on the blade. At the same time - JUMP is popular and earnings are good. But at the same time requirements are quite strict, so yes you have to fret over ratings as long as it is released in JUMP, as JUMP are notorious for the speed they cancel the manga's with poor ratings.
Like u stated it's not about rating it's about the $ it makes. And I don't suppose that Jump go on publicly announcing the $ they make for each series. And since most or all of us don't contribute to their money pool because where are not in Japan market we don't have voice in it.

Anyway I never trust the rating that a company gives to their own products anyway.
Old 2009-07-27, 17:15   Link #357
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Like u stated it's not about rating it's about the $ it makes. And I don't suppose that Jump go on publicly announcing the $ they make for each series. And since most or all of us don't contribute to their money pool because where are not in Japan market we don't have voice in it.

Anyway I never trust the rating that a company gives to their own products anyway.
If you are trying to imply that Medaka Box are making lots of cash then you should not - it is way too short to have strong audience (and it would be reflected in the ratings) and Akira Akatsuki is still a no-name mangaka, so you are wrong there (if you try to imply it).

He did what? A Little Brave Pukateriosu (one shot) and Contractor M&Y which was placed on hiatus due to low popularity and mangaka's lack of ideas about the actual plot.

I can pretty much guarantee you that Medaka Box do not earn that much of money since ratings regarding new manga's are pretty close to their sell rates as well.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-07-27 at 17:28.
Old 2009-07-27, 17:36   Link #358
Tiberium Wolf

I wasn't implying that Medaka was making a lot of cash. I was saying that ratings are most likely just to show off. The $ that 1 series makes is what it keep it going.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2009-07-27 at 17:50.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 17:39   Link #359
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Quote:
Medaka do not have all that much feelings to others and just uses them as tools.
I don't think she is doing this to "use" people. It's not her intent. She honestly wants to help honestly wants to better the people around here and has a godly amount of talent to do it.

The problem is people respond negatively to that, because we don't like things that are perfect with constant reminders. I wouldn't find it hard to believe the same thing applies to characters as well. We like them to have flaws because then we point and say "Ha! see they're not perfect!" and then feel better :P. If the character has none, we are more than happy to make some up.
AKnightWhoSaysNi! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 17:58   Link #360
Darknemo2000

Quote:
I wasn't implying that Medaka was making a lot of cash. I was saying that ratings are most likely just to show off. The $ that 1 series makes is what it keep it going.
True. But in JUMP's case they are not completely show off (unless you are a To-Love Ru mangaka ) because based on those ratings you know what manga's are likely to be cut (and they usually end up being canceled too if their low ratings continue).

AKnightWhoSaysNi!, well it would make better if she would feel some love towards main hero, because so far it does not seem to be the case (I swear she had more feelings for him in one-shot). It would be good to bring some real rival for her, because so far the manga feels without any direction (kind of like Contractor M&Y, series by this mangaka which ended on hiatus). I just hope we can see series start kickin in (in terms of plot and not in terms of fanservice of yuri moments) before it gets canceled.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council