AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 41 21.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 12.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 5.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 4.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.06%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.53%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-11, 12:17   Link #241
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
My best guess would be that the NPCs don't actually come back to life so technically, it's almost the same as killing someone. Of course that is only speculation on my part but that could be a reason why Yuri is against the notion of harming the NPCs.
I am abiding that "NPCs" do in fact come back from the dead (not the disappearing kind). But yea, the notion that Yuri says that Naoi is using "civilians"/NPCs is just a lie. And that everyone started off as "NPC". But most of them chose to live out their lives in school.

If there really is a term "NPC" that never changes, it would be the adults/teachers.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.

Last edited by blitz1/2; 2010-05-11 at 12:28.
Old 2010-05-11, 12:54   Link #242
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
I am abiding that "NPCs" do in fact come back from the dead (not the disappearing kind). But yea, the notion that Yuri says that Naoi is using "civilians"/NPCs is just a lie. And that everyone started off as "NPC". But most of them chose to live out their lives in school.

If there really is a term "NPC" that never changes, it would be the adults/teachers.
Your logic is flaw through as we discussed before. If everyone started off as "NPC". But most of them chose to live out their lives in school. Then why do they knew and act so casually to newcomers like they have already been there for long? Also why they never talk or mention anything about the strange stuffs the SSS have been doing, or about their previous lives.

Most importantly, why those who confirmed to be 'human' and decided to live their school life, ended up disappearing, when those NPCs can live like that for eternity.

Unless they know certain secret and all agreed to act like that. Otherwise Yuri and the SSS have more than one reason to confirm their theory
Old 2010-05-11, 13:00   Link #243
Marvx360x

Am I the only one that thinks that hug at the end felt wrong? I mean he was pretty much trying to erase his friends.

Kiba no Tabishounin Manga <3
Old 2010-05-11, 13:22   Link #244
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvx360x View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that hug at the end felt wrong? I mean he was pretty much trying to erase his friends.
Nope. Though a lot of people thought it felt wrong because it was melodramatic, rather than that.
Old 2010-05-11, 13:35   Link #245
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Your logic is flaw through as we discussed before. If everyone started off as "NPC". But most of them chose to live out their lives in school. Then why do they knew and act so casually to newcomers like they have already been there for long? Also why they never talk or mention anything about the strange stuffs the SSS have been doing, or about their previous lives.

Most importantly, why those who confirmed to be 'human' and decided to live their school life, ended up disappearing, when those NPCs can live like that for eternity.

Unless they know certain secret and all agreed to act like that. Otherwise Yuri and the SSS have more than one reason to confirm their theory
We don't know any of that. We don't know what the NPCs talk about, 'cause they don't speak onscreen much. We do know that NPCs disappear on a regular basis, as when Tachibana was trying to make friends, they would disappear before her, leaving her alone, and dissuading her from doing it again.
Spoiler for Novel Ch 1:
So we can be pretty sure of turnover on the NPC front.

So... no, they really don't. Not that we've seen. We could make the same assumptions that they're obviously making from the information we have, but we'd have to be willfully ignoring evidence.
Old 2010-05-11, 14:31   Link #246
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:

What I meant by EVERYBODY STARTED off as regular students, and then some catalyst happens (either through flashback or not), then that;s when people start questioning/rebelling like SSS.

When was it EVER stated that NPCs lived forever? It's already pretty much confirmed that you can't FULLY trust what Yuri says, as it's pretty much speculation on her part and spread to rest of SSS.

And how about you start thinking that Yuri labels others as NPCs because those people don't choose to rebel/follow her?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2010-05-11, 15:03   Link #247
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Nope. Though a lot of people thought it felt wrong because it was melodramatic, rather than that.
It was definitely a weird scene. I don't think he knew the guy enough to warrant such a reaction to that, putting aside two guys hugging like that.

Usually a punch in the face would do the job.
Old 2010-05-11, 16:01   Link #248
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, Otanashi and Kanada being trapped in the same room with one bed, Yui getting excited over her own boobs, Yuri in a ripped uniform with Naoi doing something that looks very wrong into hypnosis, and the bromance and the end. Damn, this episode hits the jackpot for "this will inspire perverted fanwork"

This episode had some comedy that was actually funny. Takamatsu still refused to put a shirt back on, and Ooyama took a potato chip... and ate!!! Sadly, it seems like nobody will let poor Kanade eat her tofu in peace. Of course, the Kanade moments are great, they sure liked drawing her sleeping. Not that I mind at all =d

Also, she designed her weapon to be used defensively? Does that make her Kenshin?

Anyhow, they arrive, and as expected it's ugly as hell. And then this is where the episode hits then ground. There's no way to generate so much sympathy for this asshole Naoi so fast. Otananshi gives out a dramatic speech and that for some reason is good enough to get Naoi to reveal his past where he was forced by his asshole father to pilot an Eva make pots and now wants to become God.

It wasn't too bad, but comes across as a cheap shot trying to generate some melodrama and unfortunately missed the mark just because I don't really care about this guy who really only showed up lately. And it's really hard for me to believe he could go from evil to blubbering mess just because of a speech and a hug.

I give this an episode a 6/10 for an entertaining first half, but having a very wtf for an ending like they ran out of time.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-05-11, 16:13   Link #249
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Hmm, Otanashi and Kanada being trapped in the same room with one bed, Yui getting excited over her own boobs, Yuri in a ripped uniform with Naoi doing something that looks very wrong into hypnosis, and the bromance and the end. Damn, this episode hits the jackpot for "this will inspire perverted fanwork"

This episode had some comedy that was actually funny. Takamatsu still refused to put a shirt back on, and Ooyama took a potato chip... and ate!!! Sadly, it seems like nobody will let poor Kanade eat her tofu in peace. Of course, the Kanade moments are great, they sure liked drawing her sleeping. Not that I mind at all =d

Also, she designed her weapon to be used defensively? Does that make her Kenshin?

Anyhow, they arrive, and as expected it's ugly as hell. And then this is where the episode hits then ground. There's no way to generate so much sympathy for this asshole Naoi so fast. Otananshi gives out a dramatic speech and that for some reason is good enough to get Naoi to reveal his past where he was forced by his asshole father to pilot an Eva make pots and now wants to become God.

It wasn't too bad, but comes across as a cheap shot trying to generate some melodrama and unfortunately missed the mark just because I don't really care about this guy who really only showed up lately. And it's really hard for me to believe he could go from evil to blubbering mess just because of a speech and a hug.

I give this an episode a 6/10 for an entertaining first half, but having a very wtf for an ending like they ran out of time.
i don't believed that Naoi said anything about his past, it was just a flashback that Naoi on his life.
Old 2010-05-11, 16:21   Link #250
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh ok, doesn't really help things though.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-05-11, 19:27   Link #251
Crontica

I think the comic where Otonashi hugs Naoi and then Hinata coming to maul Emopot would have been funnier than the actual thing.
Old 2010-05-12, 01:22   Link #252
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I want to like this show now before the payoff comes in but as of now, I have a hard time liking this show.

Otonashi is like... the cliche, run of the mill, help-everyone-male-character and everyone else are fodder for him..

Also, I'm a bit pissed off about Naoi. Because if he had stayed longer, he could have been a much more of a serious threat and perhaps even main-villain material. The way he has all these outrageous hypnotism powers to how his identity itself is a cover would have been hard to delve into. But no, he came and went at the snap of a finger. I really liked his backstory alone, but as it stands, it's just a yet another 'crying-story' without any circumstance as to where it came from.

Again, this can be remedied if the endgame of this anime explains why these things happened the way they did. But the way Naoi was handled... I'm sorry, I can't buy it.
Old 2010-05-12, 02:40   Link #253
Discipline

Send a message via AIM to Discipline Send a message via MSN to Discipline
Yeah, I'm pretty much with you on that. Otonashi, when the series first started (at least for me), held the promise of having a unique character persona develop. I really thought he'd be a lot more than what he was at the end of Ep. 6. Part of this is probably due to the rushed nature of this series.

I was surprised when the episode ended. From the way Naoi had sort of been "introduced" to the viewers (in terms of personality), I also thought he was going to be like a lead antagonist or possibly a sub-antagonist for a greater evil. I mean, we're talking about a guy who incapacitated the SSS, purposely detained Tachibana and Otonashi, beat up NPCs, and enjoyed being an ass. The fact that he had a revelation caused by Otonashi's (sorry fans) bland communication skills and decided, "Oh, being bad isn't all it's cracked up to be! I'm just a poor boy with a perverse messiah complex." left a lot to be desired.

One last thing, was I the only person who thought Naoi was seriously going to rape Yuri right in front of Otonashi and Tachibana?
Old 2010-05-12, 02:44   Link #254
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

you kidding me of course not.

Though then that would've been followed by some serious punches being thrown.
Old 2010-05-12, 03:02   Link #255
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Kanade can dissect him when that happens.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-12, 03:03   Link #256
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

@Discipline: you seems to be the third in this thread...

Quote:
What I meant by EVERYBODY STARTED off as regular students, and then some catalyst happens (either through flashback or not), then that;s when people start questioning/rebelling like SSS.

When was it EVER stated that NPCs lived forever? It's already pretty much confirmed that you can't FULLY trust what Yuri says, as it's pretty much speculation on her part and spread to rest of SSS.

And how about you start thinking that Yuri labels others as NPCs because those people don't choose to rebel/follow her?
It's probably because Yuri was not the one who labeled them "NPCs" in the first place, i guess

See, you make lots of assumption there. The NPC labeling was someone else act. Initially Yuri distinct a human from a "non-human" by their behavior. She will try to get the "human" to her team, and not gonna call them hon-human/ NPC if they refuse. That's quite a fact indeed (if you knows from what I am talking about)

The thought about everyone started off as regular student is interesting. But that means the number of students will decrease with time. If some of them gonna appear out of thin air, then "only the human actually appear out of thin air" will be more believable

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-05-12 at 03:20.
Old 2010-05-12, 04:05   Link #257
Francismeunier
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
It's probably because Yuri was not the one who labeled them "NPCs" in the first place, i guess
I think Yuri just has thoughts about them being NPC because they are not like other ones she met and that are with her. NPCs........aren't they humans but also Yuri sees them as not kind of thing?
Quote:
See, you make lots of assumption there. The NPC labeling was someone else act. Initially Yuri distinct a human from a "non-human" by their behavior. She will try to get the "human" to her team, and not gonna call them hon-human/ NPC if they refuse. That's quite a fact indeed (if you knows from what I am talking about)
I agree with this part and I was talking about that right above in about the same way.

Quote:
The thought about everyone started off as regular student is interesting. But that means the number of students will decrease with time. If some of them gonna appear out of thin air, then "only the human actually appear out of thin air" will be more believable
Actually IRL apparently there is a human dying for every second and one being born for every second...maybe Angel Beats is just trying to show that not all return quickly to another life.
Old 2010-05-12, 04:05   Link #258
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
We don't know any of that. We don't know what the NPCs talk about, 'cause they don't speak onscreen much. We do know that NPCs disappear on a regular basis, as when Tachibana was trying to make friends, they would disappear before her, leaving her alone, and dissuading her from doing it again.
Spoiler for Novel Ch 1:
So we can be pretty sure of turnover on the NPC front.

So... no, they really don't. Not that we've seen. We could make the same assumptions that they're obviously making from the information we have, but we'd have to be willfully ignoring evidence.
Those aren't NPCs. And that wasn't necessarily real. That was just Otonashi's insight into what Kanade's life in the "afterlife" could have been (similar to the life of an immortal, she "outlives" all her acquaintances).
Quote:

NPCs exist. They are noticeably different from the regular humans. Read the prequel. It has been laid out pretty clearly:
  • NPCs act as if newcomers were always there.
  • Building on the above, NPCs automatically know your name, seating arrangement, and other trivial stuff.
  • NPCs don't show any signs of recognizing their world as an "afterlife" of sorts.
  • Student NPCs are programmed to behave like model students.
To the untrained eye, all NPCs act like regular humans. However, if you specifically watch out for the above characteristics, you'd have no trouble differentiating NPCs from PCs. That is why Yuri didn't even consider Kanade as an NPC (she first thought of her as sysadmin).

This was never stated though. However, the fact that Yuri goes out and says that these NPCs don't age suggests that she's been there for a while and has observed for a sufficient amount of time the lack of aging. This may suggest any of the following:
  • All NPCs are permanent.
  • Teacher/faculty NPCs are permanent, while student NPCs may come and go as the years roll by (graduation, etc).
Old 2010-05-12, 08:28   Link #259
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Those aren't NPCs.
...That's quite the claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
And that wasn't necessarily real. That was just Otonashi's insight into what Kanade's life in the "afterlife" could have been (similar to the life of an immortal, she "outlives" all her acquaintances).
Certainly; but it was a reasonable conclusion. She wouldn't have said that if a friend of hers hadn't, or you're giving her a ton of credit for knowing how the world works where she likely doesn't any more than Yuri. At some point, she was new to this place just as much as everyone else was; what's the first thing most people try to do in a new place? Make friends.
Old 2010-05-12, 13:32   Link #260
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
...That's quite the claim.

Certainly; but it was a reasonable conclusion. She wouldn't have said that if a friend of hers hadn't, or you're giving her a ton of credit for knowing how the world works where she likely doesn't any more than Yuri. At some point, she was new to this place just as much as everyone else was; what's the first thing most people try to do in a new place? Make friends.
Before anything else... Have you read the prequel novel past chapter 1?

It is entirely possible that she had friends in the past that have then disappeared. However, that doesn't mean that the situation looked like how Otonashi imagined. And of course, she does know a whole lot about their world. She's able to utilize a certain mechanic of that world in order to materialize abilities that she programmed in her PC. This alone tells us that she knows about a few key basic concepts (self-repair, self-repair algorithm, how to hack into said algorithm, among others). That's certainly more than what Yuri, Naoi, or any other named character so far. It's like comparing elementary school kids to quantum physicists.

Last edited by Ice Block; 2010-05-12 at 13:58.
Closed Thread