AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-19, 00:40   Link #4901
Gravitas Free Zone

I deleted my previous comment because my initial observation regarding the placement of a white flag on a tank that was resting on its side was incorrect; I thought that it had come out of the bottom (for fun) instead of coming out of the top, which it actually did.

Anyway, I saw 15 unsubbed minutes of the main action.

Spoiler for ...spoilers.:
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 00:45   Link #4902
jmc247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Carbon coating and internal dampening fields
haha, unless they have Star Trek level shields the Maus shells should have left nothing but twisted scraps left of any tank they strike.

Quote:
Quite frankly the thing is so rare I doubt any of them had a clue what they were facing even if they knew what it was. Up til know the StuG III has been able to punch anything they've encountered and the Tiger (P)'s 88 should punch anything as far as they know. Only the Jadgtiger has given them problems. Then there is this THING.
I knew in 8th grade the Maus was a massively over-engineered piece of crap which only positives were supposed to be the amazing power of its canon and its near invulnerability to tank fire at the time. But, then I was always interested in history... mainly Roman history at that time.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Yes, overall, their response to the Maus was somewhat inept (not quite as bad as KMM when the (spoiler) intermixed into their ranks though) - perhaps a mix of fear and awe slowing their response?

But then, in the "meta" sense, they were trying to establish Maus as something of a threat, even to people who can't tell a PzI from a Maus, and so they have to give it a chance despite its clumsiness.
Spoiler:

Last edited by jmc247; 2013-03-19 at 00:55.
jmc247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 00:46   Link #4903
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I just had a weird thought.

Assuming World War II still happened and Senshado was widely practised in the World at that time. Would Princes Elizabeth (today's Queen Elizabeth II) have been one of the British Empire's main high school tankers? Those were her high school years and she did get into mechanics and driving during the real war (I don't think it was tanks, but popular in universe sports would override that easy)

And while the History Team should know what that thing was, they have never been shown to be entirely bright in this series. Just fairly good shots with some interesting skills. They did have high banners on their ride in battle while taking about how the low profile of the StuG was an advantage. (how will Ooarai win without "Best Team"?)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-03-19 at 00:58.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 00:50   Link #4904
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Spoiler for ...spoilers.:
She's starting to feel that her chances to marry Miho are slowly ebbing in the face of her subordinates' nuttery... What? I didn't say it would be a logical reason, did I? :P

Quote:
And while the History Team should know what that thing was, they have never been shown to be entirely bright in this series. Just fairly good shots with some interesting skills.
The prevailing opinion is while they're certainly passionate about their hobby, the members of the History Club in general... aren't really that bright.
Old 2013-03-19, 00:56   Link #4905
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

On the pure fandom weirdness side of things, I wonder how "Hitler" will react to this episode. I mean seriously, that's some tank that almost screams for screaming German dictator.
Old 2013-03-19, 01:10   Link #4906
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
She's starting to feel that her chances to marry Miho are slowly ebbing in the face of her subordinates' nuttery... What? I didn't say it would be a logical reason, did I? :P

Back to the scene with the [spoiler]:

Here's where dramatic effect, in-universe knowledge, and all that run together:

Spoiler for ¡spoilers!:

Actually, regarding weak spots: The mysterious carbon lining is in effect, sure, but it does amaze me that the shells don't pass through hatches and viewports more often. Particularly viewports.

Quote:
On the pure fandom weirdness side of things, I wonder how "Hitler" will react to this episode. I mean seriously, that's some tank that almost screams for screaming German dictator.
You're waiting for a Downfall gag sub? checks YouTube Hmm, there are surprisingly few rants about GuP so far.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 01:12   Link #4907
Sumeragi
Banned

Images
Kuromorimine Composition
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 01:13   Link #4908
jmc247

Quote:
And while the History Team should know what that thing was, they have never been shown to be entirely bright in this series. Just fairly good shots with some interesting skills. They did have high banners on their ride in battle while taking about how the low profile of the StuG was an advantage. (how will Ooarai win without "Best Team"?)
No need to be snide I get it you aren't bothered by them getting wasted unceremoniously and I am mainly because I know if this was say the student council team getting wasted or even the volleyball team getting wasted they at least would have been shown to be going out in style to save the others or have a good scene beforehand. But, perhaps just perhaps this is not the end for them.
Old 2013-03-19, 01:25   Link #4909
Nork22

Hmmm... 3 months after the last episode and I can't help but feel like Oorai is winning this skirmish all too easily. Also the act of heroism when Miho rescued the first years was almost eye rolling, but the animation sequence was damn good so I'll forgive this cheesy moment. And the Hetzer sneaking in on the Black Forest Team was almost brilliant. While not quite WoT, reminds me of the fun times in Team Fortress where I would run in as a spy and cause havoc in the enemy's base.

Then I saw the behemoth of a tank that's called the Maus come rolling in, and my jaw dropped and thought: how the hell are they supposed to kill that thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The prevailing opinion is while they're certainly passionate about their hobby, the members of the History Club in general... aren't really that bright.
The director did state the History Club, while passionate, aren't that bright.
Old 2013-03-19, 01:31   Link #4910
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
No need to be snide I get it you aren't bothered by them getting wasted unceremoniously and I am mainly because I know if this was say the student council team getting wasted or even the volleyball team getting wasted they at least would have been shown to be going out in style to save the others or have a good scene beforehand. But, perhaps just perhaps this is not the end for them.
Maybe director decided that History team already have a lot of screentime and important roles in the past matches ,so he killed them this time to let other teams shine.
Old 2013-03-19, 01:36   Link #4911
jmc247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Maybe director decided that History team already have a lot of screentime and important roles in the past matches ,so he killed them this time to let other teams shine.
Could be, but it would have taken all of 2-3 seconds to make clear they are trying to delay the Maus to help the others escape which would have made for a positive end for them and all of the original Oorai teams who were with them from day one deserve that much.
Old 2013-03-19, 02:08   Link #4912
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I marathon the whole show today just to see the latest episode and it was well worth the wait since I finally felt hyped up again!

That super tank, the Maus got me by surprised. Not even the Porsche Tiger was able to dent that thing and it got knocked out (I didn't see a flag though).

It seems that Black Forest Peak can't adapt when it's no longer played by the book. This could be their demise.

Next week is the finale!!
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 02:36   Link #4913
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
That super tank, the Maus got me by surprised. Not even the Porsche Tiger was able to dent that thing and it got knocked out (I didn't see a flag though).
Miho says they only lost 2 tanks, and the ones we know had flags deployed were the B1 and the StuG. The Tiger P and Hetzer are likely immobilized but not down.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 02:39   Link #4914
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I was wondering about that. Are the rounds seriously on the opposite side of the gunner from the loader's seat? That seems like a horrible design.
Yup. I remember even reading an interview online (on a Hetzer fansite of all places) with a Hetzer commander bitching about how inane the entire layout was... the remote machine gun also was an ergonomic hazard IIRC.

I'm not surprised by the History team's ignorance though... they're supposed to represent passionate fans who don't know much about the subject. Which is not to say they don't embody some of the spirit of the historical figures (they are sympathetic), but they are not supposed to be bright (history is doomed to be repeated by those who are more obsessed with wearing costumes?).

I still can't believe how good an episode this was. I can't remember the last time an anime climax actually exceeded my expectations both with drama, action, and character moments.

I was so busy posting about all the other incredible moments I totally forgot to SQUEEEing properly over Darjeeling, or Katyusha's observation antics!
Old 2013-03-19, 02:53   Link #4915
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Could be, but it would have taken all of 2-3 seconds to make clear they are trying to delay the Maus to help the others escape which would have made for a positive end for them and all of the original Oorai teams who were with them from day one deserve that much.
Since we are arguing that they are being too dumb, the plain fact of the matter is that if they worked it out rationally, they can't delay the Maus physically or psychologically. It is too tough for the former and too slow for the latter. They should just be bugging out with everyone else, full speed.

If you are talking emotion, them trying futilely to strike a blow for the downed Char 1 bis is comparably touching to futilely trying to delay the Maus.

Further, somewhere in the back of their minds will be the Maus' armor stats, but psychologically they hadn't seen much they can't handle yet.

In this sense, Volleyball team and Student Council team are poor substitutes since they are much more ingrained as to their tank's limitations. By now you can probably give Volleyball team a Leopard II MBT to kill the Maus with and they still would prefer running :-)
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 03:05   Link #4916
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
By now you can probably give Volleyball team a Leopard II MBT to kill the Maus with and they still would prefer running :-)
Discretion is the better part of valour, live to fight another day. [/jk]

(I know, I know, not options here )

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 03:13   Link #4917
jmc247

Quote:
Since we are arguing that they are being too dumb, the plain fact of the matter is that if they worked it out rationally, they can't delay the Maus physically or psychologically. It is too tough for the former and too slow for the latter. They should just be bugging out with everyone else, full speed.

If you are talking emotion, them trying futilely to strike a blow for the downed Char 1 bis is comparably touching to futilely trying to delay the Maus.

Further, somewhere in the back of their minds will be the Maus' armor stats, but psychologically they hadn't seen much they can't handle yet.

In this sense, Volleyball team and Student Council team are poor substitutes since they are much more ingrained as to their tank's limitations. By now you can probably give Volleyball team a Leopard II MBT to kill the Maus with and they still would prefer running :-)
They just watched a Porshe Tiger with the most powerful canon on team Oorai fire at the tank and the round just bunced off the tank like nothing.

Oh what the student council did in ep 9 where they intentionally redirected the attention of the enemy to take off the attention away from the rest of the team to help them buy time was vastly preferable loss in my view. That was heroic and kick ass, this was sad and not in a good way.

The only positive for me from the scene was neither Caesar or Erwin ordered the attack and its better to just be able to think they were still in deer in headlights mode and hadn't been able to move from the thought... its an actual Maus.
Old 2013-03-19, 03:14   Link #4918
Sumeragi
Banned

I'm starting to think this is why we see the noobish reactions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I'm actually reminded of Otto Carius. He progressed from the PzKpfw 38 (t) to the Jagdtiger, and complained of how the Jagdtigers, despite their size and powerful gun, was extremely slow, had poor maneuverability, and used a weak transmission. Since it was an assault gun, Carius also lamented the loss of a turret. Basically, aside from the manpower issue I think we also have a retraining issue, where we have the crew using tanks they aren't quite familiar with compared to the Schwerpunkt-style mobile tanks they used in the past.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 03:41   Link #4919
garbage

wohooo it's back!
so they do have HE shells ...
oh man seitokai team is so fun this episode, I like their assignment in this battle, guerilla unit ^^ just right for that small and nimble hetzer
WHAAA WTF with that MAUS....THAT"s not ALLOWED ...nayahahaha
way to go Automotive team, maintenance on the move , ahaha they really are the only one's who can use the P-tiger
Old 2013-03-19, 03:43   Link #4920
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Oh what the student council did in ep 9 where they intentionally redirected the attention of the enemy to take off the attention away from the rest of the team to help them buy time was vastly preferable loss in my view. That was heroic and kick ass, this was sad and not in a good way.
That was intended to be the Student Council's Moment of Awesome, and after episode-on-episode that shows Momo missing and Anzu eating potato.

This was not intended to be History Team's Moment. Can't be compared. Besides they got one two episodes ago too as they buried their tank perfectly in what seems to be seconds.

If anything, this would likely be the high point of the Maus. After this, its kill efficiency will fall to nothing, or in the worst case, it will suffer the indignity of somehow getting killed by Oarai despite its super armor being its only strength (even more than its gun, which is apparently actually less penetrative than the 88mm/71)
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks