AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-19, 13:01   Link #641
LKK

Oh, I agree that her eye power (if it is such a thing) is highly ineffective. I just assumed that it was an actual change and expected it to be explained later. It simply hadn't occurred to me that it might be symbolic in the way that sparkling eyes when a character is enthralled are symbolic.

I guess it was the fact that Leaf-Head-kun mentioned noticing her eye in ep 1 that caused me to assume it was an actual change. That, and the fact that only one eye changes rather than both as is the norm for symbolic eye changes.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 15:03   Link #642
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm not arguing for or against it -- I just don't see enough information to decide. The only plot point so far is that Shichika noticed the way her eye looked and brushed it off as "cute" or some such.
Old 2010-02-19, 15:05   Link #643
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm not arguing for or against it -- I just don't see enough information to decide. The only plot point so far is that Shichika noticed the way her eye looked and brushed it off as "cute" or some such.
I'm sure there was a moment when i watched episode two and saw "That Weird Eye Thingy" and thought to myself, "Okay so it's definately not a Geass". I don't think it's the moment you described.

Gaaaah. Thanks a lot. Now I'm deteremined to go through 45 minutes of Katanagatari just to find that one moment. Right in the middle of Howl's Moving Castle, too.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 15:16   Link #644
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm sure there was a moment when i watched episode two and saw "That Weird Eye Thingy" and thought to myself, "Okay so it's definately not a Geass". I don't think it's the moment you described.

Gaaaah. Thanks a lot. Now I'm deteremined to go through 45 minutes of Katanagatari just to find that one moment. Right in the middle of Howl's Moving Castle, too.
Is it the one where she was tied up and random got the eye? Or the one where she was still a child?

Howl <3.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 15:28   Link #645
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It was in episode two, so neither. XP

[edit]

Shit. I just realised I only have episode one. Oh screw it, I don't care anymore.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-02-19 at 15:52.
Old 2010-02-19, 16:45   Link #646
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually... rewatching both episodes isn't a bad idea. I'll probably do that this weekend.
Old 2010-02-19, 17:20   Link #647
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually... rewatching both episodes isn't a bad idea. I'll probably do that this weekend.
I think doing that the 1st weekend of March would be more fun =).
Old 2010-02-19, 17:25   Link #648
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I think doing that the 1st weekend of March would be more fun =).
Yeah i like the sound of that. Will do just that.
Old 2010-02-20, 01:02   Link #649
HandofFate

its a light-novel based anime focused on dialogue, so I tend to rewatch my favorite conversations very often (usually once a week). I end up doing this with Spice and Wolf and Bakemonogatari too actually..
Old 2010-02-20, 21:47   Link #650
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 02:20   Link #651
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
Episode two was definitely very amusing and witty in it's dialogue and situations. However, I really felt bad for the guy holed up in his desert castle. He should have been left alone--clearly he had no plans of going out and fighting for political power; and anyway, why shouldn't the shogunate have some competition to keep him accountable, prevent him from achieving absolute power? Going around and killing people to steal their stuff all the time is pretty unethical IMO. I hope in the ending involves the swords not actually ending up in the possession of the shogunate.
You know, this was pretty much my reaction too. My sympathy fell with the ronin - he was peacefully passing his days in his derelict castle, offering no harm to anyone who didn't mean harm to him. Walking into his house and killing him in order to take his sword for some nebulous quest just doesn't feel all that heroic to me.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 05:28   Link #652
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Grey & Black Morality ftw.
Old 2010-02-21, 13:23   Link #653
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

If Koumori's hint at Togame's intentions weren't clear enough then I don't know what will.
I don't think we are really supposed to sympathize with her.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 14:24   Link #654
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You know, this was pretty much my reaction too. My sympathy fell with the ronin - he was peacefully passing his days in his derelict castle, offering no harm to anyone who didn't mean harm to him. Walking into his house and killing him in order to take his sword for some nebulous quest just doesn't feel all that heroic to me.
Twist it into another perspective, did the ronin actually want to pass his days in his castle? The most honorable way to die for a warrior is on the battlefield and their arrival presented a final battle that the ronin was happy to die by. It's like granting a final wish to a dying man.
Old 2010-02-21, 14:27   Link #655
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Please ignore this too.
Old 2010-02-21, 14:36   Link #656
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
Twist it into another perspective, did the ronin actually want to pass his days in his castle? The most honorable way to die for a warrior is on the battlefield and their arrival presented a final battle that the ronin was happy to die by. It's like granting a final wish to a dying man.
That's what I was thinking. His life had become meaningless and he was given an honorable death against a worthy opponent.
Old 2010-02-21, 15:22   Link #657
Kunagisa

I don't sympathize with Ginkaku too much. He himself know that he got poisoned by the sword's charm and power, and he couldn't pull himself out of it. His days as a warrior is over as soon as he was unable to leave the sword. Instead of homing his skills so he comes better, he relied entirely upon the sword for his power. You can argue that his attacks are meaningless without the weapon, but I don't buy that case entirely because he himself mentioned that once he tasted the power of the sword he can't let it go again.

The only point that I sympathize with him is in the end when he asked Togame if she would have granted his wishes, AND he didn't feel sorry that he slashed her, which means he held very true his ideal of protecting his home. At that point, he very well know he could lose, but yet he showed more concern for his hometown than the sword, which meant while he failed as a swordsman, yet he still trump as a protector with great devotion.
Old 2010-02-21, 16:11   Link #658
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I was actually thinking that the desertification was caused by the sword but I guess not...
Old 2010-02-22, 13:52   Link #659
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

This whole 'geass' conversation isn't alluding to that Code Geass anime is it? Because if it is, DO NOT WANT!
Spoiler for size:
Old 2010-02-22, 16:22   Link #660
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The hilarious thing is that the "geas" concept is in no way original to Code Geass. Its a very old magical concept intertwined with the "evil eye". But this is typical of people who are "bright new and shiny" - they don't realize that ideas were around and things happened before they started paying attention

I get the impression the CG fans saw her eye and just automatically made the assumption it was a reference to CG or a borrowing from CG -- whereas it doesn't seem to have a blooming thing to do with CG.

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy