Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-10-16, 17:12   Link #1261
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
Hey, it's not like he's been out of the picture for ten chapters, give the other characters some screentime too But no worries, read my post where I explain Zenkichi's role. And Tsukune... He's not the useless main character anymore. The guy just owns I would say Zen shares some similarities with him.

Anyway, just 8 pages of the chapter and lots of things already happening. Not bad.
Maybe not out of the picture, but I think the last one he had any importance in was the one with Kikaijima. Even then, most of the chapter focused on Medaka herself, even though she wasn't there. Even Kikaijima and Akune were pretty much tossed to the side as soon as they appeared.

I think that's one of my bigger issues with the manga. With Medaka as the main protagonist, you never get to see what's going on in her head. There's no inner monologue on her part about her feelings or the situations she's in, so instead of being able to get involved in the manga and relate to her, you feel more like an outsider just wondering what the heck is going on, so the manga comes off as really shallow. The only time I've actually seen something like this was with Kikaijima. Even with Zenkichi, we never actually get to see how he feels about something, as his entire inner thoughts consist of narrating Medaka's life it seems. It's never about himself really or his own feelings.

I like to get myself involved into what I'm reading and feel like I can really understand the characters, their thoughts and their motivations. With Medaka Box, it's kind of like the feeling of going to a movie, but instead of watching it and getting immersed in it yourself, someone else explains to you what's going on. It's just not as effective. I think that's why Medaka doesn't work as a main character for me. She says a lot of stuff, but you never can really tell what she's feeling and it hurts the character quite a bit.

We may get more insight into this in the future, but after 23 chapters, it's starting to wear a bit thin. The plot itself is getting more interesting, for sure, but the characters aren't.

And yes, Tsukune kicks some major butt now. I was talking more about in the beginning where his whole purpose was to die so Moka would get PO'ed. :P Yet, even as the sacrificial lamb, he still felt like an important person to both the story and the other characters.
Old 2009-10-16, 17:27   Link #1262
Homura7

Spoiler for Judo captain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
And yes, Tsukune kicks some major butt now. I was talking more about in the beginning where his whole purpose was to die so Moka would get PO'ed. :P Yet, even as the sacrificial lamb, he still felt like an important person to both the story and the other characters.
Now we talk about this, even if it's offtopic, I need to say something. My favourite type of main characters are without any doubt the ones who at the beggining are useless and don't look like main characters, but as the plot progress they grow stronger and slowly become beasts
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 17:35   Link #1263
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Spoiler for Judo captain:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Now we talk about this, even if it's offtopic, I need to say something. My favourite type of main characters are without any doubt the ones who at the beggining are useless and don't look like main characters, but as the plot progress they grow stronger and slowly become beasts
Same here, though even the weak ones you can tell are major players usually. Naruto, for example, was weak, but you always knew he was the main character. Kenichi is another. Guys who work hard to gain their abilities instead of just having them handed to them are always better for me. Heck, I can even take them staying weak, like Kousukegawa from Change 123, as long as they always remain important pieces of the story. Kou from Zero In is a borderline example of someone who starts out weak... and pretty much stays weak, but hasn't contributed a lot to the story either. I like that series, but he definitely needs to step up a bit. ^^

Zen right now reminds me of Ron Stoppable from Kim Possible... without the humor and monkey powers. Or respect from Medaka. Lol. :P
Old 2009-10-16, 18:03   Link #1264
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Same here, though even the weak ones you can tell are major players usually. Naruto, for example, was weak, but you always knew he was the main character. Kenichi is another. Guys who work hard to gain their abilities instead of just having them handed to them are always better for me. Heck, I can even take them staying weak, like Kousukegawa from Change 123, as long as they always remain important pieces of the story. Kou from Zero In is a borderline example of someone who starts out weak... and pretty much stays weak, but hasn't contributed a lot to the story either. I like that series, but he definitely needs to step up a bit. ^^

Zen right now reminds me of Ron Stoppable from Kim Possible... without the humor and monkey powers. Or respect from Medaka. Lol. :P
Naruto and Kenichi are not the best examples since they begin to kick ass soon. Tsukune on the other hand or Simon from TTGL take more time in their way to become beasts, and that's what I like the most, a main character who slowly grows and becomes stronger step by step

As for Zenkichi, he trains in all the martial clubs... except judo club!! That's a hint.

And talking about the fact he follows Medaka wherever she goes, we are not the only ones who think that. Author shares same thoughts, so that's another hint.

Spoiler for A promise:
Old 2009-10-16, 20:02   Link #1265
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Spoiler for A promise:
Forgot about that part. So we can say that Medaka is basically holding Zenkichi back? Gives him even more reason to break away from the council now. Of course, if that ever happens is anyone's guess. He seems perfectly fine being her follower for now. True, he has his complaints, but he never does anything about it.

Basically, he's a wuss. :P
Old 2009-10-16, 23:30   Link #1266
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Wink

Quote:
Whoa, another one who believed this manga would be about generic romance school life, and by the one-shot, nothing less. You must be really butthurt to write such childish comments
well..not that hurt...(it's too hard for normal mere human to hurt me -a Hitman apprentice- tough ) but I sure hate some one who break a promise, just like this author do to this manga

I wonder about this manga Tankobon sell rate out there, does it good?.
surerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 06:37   Link #1267
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by surerman View Post
well..not that hurt...(it's too hard for normal mere human to hurt me -a Hitman apprentice- tough ) but I sure hate some one who break a promise, just like this author do to this manga
Again, that the author decided to change the direction for the sake of the sales (wich I doubt) or that he planned this manga to be what is now from the beggining are people thoughts.

Spoiler:

Where the hell is the raw?
Old 2009-10-17, 08:00   Link #1268
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:

Where the hell is the raw?
It's usually out Friday night, but looks like it's behind. We'll most likely see it sometime today. Not that I can read it anyway, but I like looking through it.
Old 2009-10-17, 08:28   Link #1269
Jourdal

I'm just going to accept this as a battle manga/fanservicy manga and be done with it..

Now my only issue is consistency..but like all manga cliffhangers of this sort..Judo captain is going down next week.
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 08:41   Link #1270
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdal View Post
fanservicy manga
And I like it

Spoiler:
Old 2009-10-17, 10:25   Link #1271
Jourdal

Judo captain was hot, but track girl was "dat ass" but her abilities..don't translate to well with the current genre..but we'll see.
Old 2009-10-17, 11:22   Link #1272
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
Spoiler for Or...:
My theory is that the 'I tried to kill her' guy's methods included putting poison in her tea. Due to Medaka's abnormal body, she survived, but with lower ability for now.

Obviously I'm not serious.
Old 2009-10-17, 21:17   Link #1273
KLGChaos
The Shermain

RAWs are out. There wasn't much more than what we saw in the spoiler pics, except there's some dude with light facial hair included in the mix, but I have no idea who he is. Zen got his requisite one page and one line and that was it (again). I'm wondering why the mangaka even bothered to show him. Maybe just to remind us that he used to be the main character, but is now just a monkey?

Spoiler:
Old 2009-10-18, 01:39   Link #1274
Jourdal

Meh The Judo captain seemed like Vegeta to Medakas goku.
Old 2009-10-18, 07:28   Link #1275
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdal View Post
Meh The Judo captain seemed like Vegeta to Medakas goku.
And Zen is a weaker and less important version of Krillin.
Old 2009-10-18, 07:33   Link #1276
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Which makes him Yamcha.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 08:01   Link #1277
Homura7

I think you are underestimating Zen too much. For me who have read mangas were the main character dissapears for ten chapters or more, it's better being in 2 pages than the later.

I'll wait for a translation cos what Unzen tells him seems really interesting, that and Judo captain. Medaka would be now lying again on the floor if it wasn't for her.

Last edited by Homura7; 2009-10-18 at 09:13.
Old 2009-10-18, 11:02   Link #1278
Wrath88
Kissing...

You know what would be really funny? When somebody asks Medaka why she's getting trashed by the girl, she'll pose and say:
Spoiler:

Another joke, of course.
Old 2009-10-18, 11:16   Link #1279
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Another joke, of course.
You don't need to say each time yo make one

That fucking translation is taking it's time.
Old 2009-10-18, 11:21   Link #1280
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
You don't need to say each time yo make one

That fucking translation is taking it's time.
Chill, it'll come when it comes, the translator works on many other series as well, just appreciate that it comes out at all.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council