AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-30, 20:51   Link #41
Amaiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Cat View Post
Well, I would say "dramatic" rather than sad. Hime too has funny moments and fanservice, and while Hime is universally recognized as a masterpiece, Otome's got mixed reviews, and the vast majority of fans watch it because it's connected with Hime and the two shows share the same characters. So... why another Otome, prequel, sequel, or whatever it is?
Mai-HiME universally recognized as a masterpiece? Not really. A *lot* of people (myself included) think it wasn't really anything special and was actually pretty damn bad in spots--otherwise you wouldn't have numerous people ripping into it for its inconsistent tone and horrible ending, etc. etc.

Otome has a lot of flaws (some of which are just lazyness and bad writing, others because they're still trying to keep too many things "mysterious"--I want some answers, guys) but I prefer the Otome cast to the HiME cast by a mile, and as someone else said, there's really no room to continue the original HiME story without either retconning like crazy, bridging it into Otome (Searrs and their research) or making a prequel.

And since so many people seem to want the same cast around no matter what, a HiME prequel would either end up having "previous incarnations" of the cast or have to throw the cast except for Mashiro, Nagi and the OL out entirely, which would make most of the fans riot. Any HiME prequel then ends up being essentially the same exact thing as Otome--a different setting and characters that are the same yet different from the "present" cast.
Old 2007-07-30, 21:16   Link #42
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
What?! Another one?! Whatever happened to that Mai Hime Destiny announcement? I'm getting confused here.

Quote:
Otome has a lot of flaws (some of which are just lazyness and bad writing, others because they're still trying to keep too many things "mysterious"--I want some answers, guys) but I prefer the Otome cast to the HiME cast by a mile
Wha...? You mean you prefer that imbecile, terribly annoying and good-for-nothing Arika over, say, Mai? I understand some of the new characters in Otome were good, but... Arika! ARIKA! She spoiled all the fun in MO, I wanted to bang my head against the keyboard every time she and her craptastic seiyuu opened their mouths. There's no way to describe just how much she and her seiyuu annoyed the nerves out of me while watching the series. If it wasn't for Yukana and Mashiro-chan (and partly for Nina), and for the fact that it was a Hime spinoff, I doubt I would've kept on watching the series.

There were two mistakes in the making of Mai Otome: The first one was taking off the drama, and the second (and more important) one was Arika.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-07-30, 21:56   Link #43
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by shomai View Post
Is it fairly safe to say that Mai-Otome etc. are spin-offs of Mai-Hime??

And is Sunrise trying to make a "female version" of the Gundam series? I mean, in terms of the plethora of series they've made (e.g. G, Z, Wing, Seed, etc.)?
I'm pretty sure that the Mai Series is targeted at Males.
Old 2007-07-30, 23:53   Link #44
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Where the hell is Mai-Fumoffu?

And I'm eagerly awaiting for the release of Mai-WaiFU.
Old 2007-07-31, 00:33   Link #45
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
What?! Another one?! Whatever happened to that Mai Hime Destiny announcement? I'm getting confused here.
There was never a My-HiME Destiny anime announcement. Only the novel and the upcoming drama CD.
Old 2007-07-31, 03:57   Link #46
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Mai Series is targeted at Males.
Whatever, really. I'm under the impression that here in Russia, most Mai-franchise fans are female. Those that are active on the Internet, anyway. Probably because it's considered "unmanly" to watch "cartoons about girls".

And really, whether or not something is recognized as a masterpiece doesn't need to have anything to do with personal favorites. For example, I watched Evangelion after Mai-HiME and liked the latter more (I know, blasphemy) because it avoided most of the traps that the former tended to fall in: bad pacing, disproportionate amount of filleritis talks that didn't advance the plot, and, at times, deus ex machina patches that didn't follow. (HiME had exactly one deus ex machina: the ending, and even then it came to no surprise to me, as it was heavily hinted at throughout the entire HiMElander arc.)

Interestingly, Otome was equally guilty of these issues that HiME tended to avoid; this is why I prefer HiME, even though it lacks the original and fresh setting of its spiritual successor.
Old 2007-07-31, 08:39   Link #47
Same_Shark

Quote:

Wha...? You mean you prefer that imbecile, terribly annoying and good-for-nothing Arika over, say, Mai? I understand some of the new characters in Otome were good, but... Arika! ARIKA! She spoiled all the fun in MO, I wanted to bang my head against the keyboard every time she and her craptastic seiyuu opened their mouths. There's no way to describe just how much she and her seiyuu annoyed the nerves out of me while watching the series. If it wasn't for Yukana and Mashiro-chan (and partly for Nina), and for the fact that it was a Hime spinoff, I doubt I would've kept on watching the series.

There were two mistakes in the making of Mai Otome: The first one was taking off the drama, and the second (and more important) one was Arika.
All Mai was is a big breasted school girl with rings around her hands and feet that started fires. Wow, how amazing. No one forced you to watch it and listen to Arika's "craptastic" seiyuu. If you don't like what you see or hear, don't watch. Simple as that.
Old 2007-08-01, 00:12   Link #48
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
All Mai was is a big breasted school girl with rings around her hands and feet that started fires. Wow, how amazing. No one forced you to watch it and listen to Arika's "craptastic" seiyuu. If you don't like what you see or hear, don't watch. Simple as that.
Oi, oi, if I see a bad seiyuu here or an annoying character there, I call them a bad seiyuu and an annoying character. I'm not in the mood to start a flamewar here (and much less over such a stupid topic), but it's my damn opinion, and if I think she was bad, she was bad. Don't like what you read in my post? Don't read. Simple as that.

Old 2007-08-01, 01:15   Link #49
AceMan
Observer

Send a message via ICQ to AceMan
Wait, wait, wait... is it really gonna be an anime? Does the inscription on that poster really say so? If yes, I can only say OMFG YEAH!!

Like the others I believed that Sunrise will turn Destiny into anime, and I thought it wouldn't be bad since I heard there is a lot of yuri in it
But if they really want to make a prequel to Otome, it can be even better - just think how many speculations would be solved. Of course if they decided to answer for questions from TV & OVA; I really hope so.

Anyway, I don't care. As long as it touches the MH/MO universe, I'll be enjoying it
Old 2007-08-01, 01:32   Link #50
SpeedRcrX
Ba~bu~!

I would have like for Mai Hime Destiny to turn into an anime but a prequel of Mai Otome could be interesting. You're all talking about possibilities of a story set around the beginning (300 years ago) but it could also be set around Natsuki and Mai Coral Years. If Sunrise want to keep popular characters, it's a good solution.
Old 2007-08-01, 04:27   Link #51
Zelene2004

Did they say when this new Otome story is supposed to come out?

If it's a prequel, I hope it's with the Natsuki/Mai/Shizuru/Haruka coral and pearl years. The only problem is that we wouldn't see the other cast members like Akane/Kazuya, Nao, Shiho, Chie, Aoi, Mashiro, Midori, Youko, Reito, Mikoto, Nagi, Takumi, or Akira, which sort of defeats of the purpose of bringing everyone back yet again.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 2007-08-01, 06:51   Link #52
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelene2004 View Post
Did they say when this new Otome story is supposed to come out?

If it's a prequel, I hope it's with the Natsuki/Mai/Shizuru/Haruka coral and pearl years. The only problem is that we wouldn't see the other cast members like Akane/Kazuya, Nao, Shiho, Chie, Aoi, Mashiro, Midori, Youko, Reito, Mikoto, Nagi, Takumi, or Akira, which sort of defeats of the purpose of bringing everyone back yet again.
Personnaly, I really don't want this.
Cause in those years, nothing really important happen...

And feed up with ShizNat all the time.
Old 2007-08-01, 08:44   Link #53
soleil192

well IMO a otome precuel wouldn't be THAT bad ...of course i prefer a mai HiME destiny anime but this can also be interesting, maybe 300 yeas before with natsuki's, shizuru's,mai's,nao's,etc ancenstors that look exactly the same, or maybe the story about how they get to earl and how they adapt and build the cities and stuff..
Old 2007-08-01, 09:19   Link #54
solarknight123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink View Post
Personnaly, I really don't want this.
Cause in those years, nothing really important happen...

And feed up with ShizNat all the time.
True dat. I like ShizNat as much as the next fan, but so tired of reading about them and hearing about them all the time too. A good prequel would take place some few good years like the 12 kingdom war. Say anyone keeping up with the ayane manga series, is it doing any good explaing the past of the otome universe or is it simply the same story of a girl achiving her dreams of being an otome but it's simply 300 years in the past?
Old 2007-08-01, 10:11   Link #55
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarknight123 View Post
True dat. I like ShizNat as much as the next fan, but so tired of reading about them and hearing about them all the time too. A good prequel would take place some few good years like the 12 kingdom war. Say anyone keeping up with the ayane manga series, is it doing any good explaing the past of the otome universe or is it simply the same story of a girl achiving her dreams of being an otome but it's simply 300 years in the past?
Actually, can one tell why all coral main character got her own meister Robe ?
And why is it always pink ?
Old 2007-08-01, 12:58   Link #56
Same_Shark

Quote:
Oi, oi, if I see a bad seiyuu here or an annoying character there, I call them a bad seiyuu and an annoying character. I'm not in the mood to start a flamewar here (and much less over such a stupid topic), but it's my damn opinion, and if I think she was bad, she was bad. Don't like what you read in my post? Don't read. Simple as that.
You should calm down, because I wasn't flaming you at all, but since you think I am, I wil. If you don't like her seiyuu, you should get in a studio and try to do better. I'm quite aware that it is your opinion, that's fine, but don't get pissed because you think someone is trying to flame you. Remember, text doesn't show emotions.
Old 2007-08-01, 20:33   Link #57
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
If you don't like her seiyuu, you should get in a studio and try to do better.
Man, I so "love" this type of argument. So if I don't like my car, I should just make one myself then? That's nonsense. My opinion about Arika and the performance of her seiyuu is the same as the one of WanderingKnight, maybe I should try to become a seiyuu, too, just for daring to say such blashpemous words.

Anyway, back on topic. It's so sad the total trainwreck Mai Otome is getting yet another spin-off. I am all fine with Sunrise milking the same characters over and over but create a new setting, FFS, the Otome one is not working (not least because apparently fanservice is way more important than actually creating a plausible and interesting world).

Quote:
And since so many people seem to want the same cast around no matter what, a HiME prequel would either end up having "previous incarnations" of the cast or have to throw the cast except for Mashiro, Nagi and the OL out entirely, which would make most of the fans riot. Any HiME prequel then ends up being essentially the same exact thing as Otome--a different setting and characters that are the same yet different from the "present" cast.
Spoiler for Mai HiME (just in case):

Old 2007-08-01, 21:33   Link #58
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
If you don't like her seiyuu, you should get in a studio and try to do better.
Okay, people, close the place! From now on, no more criticism allowed!

Old 2007-08-01, 23:58   Link #59
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Yes, it would look kind of silly...no more silly than the "no male protein", cat goddess and so on in Otome, though.
I disagree, it would look sillier. Because the less technical viewers can swallow the PSA explanations, but nobody can swallow bringing back an old villain that was undeniably destroyed, along with the source of its power.
Old 2007-08-02, 07:56   Link #60
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Come on, people swallowed everyone and his dog being resurrected or simply refusing to die no matter what in HiME, Otome and GSD, why not the resurrection of the archvillain, too? Or as I said they could always come up with a new villain, as is the usual practice in sequels in stories with a big evil overlord.

Closed Thread