AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-24, 00:53   Link #1
Sakuya
*Artist

My-Otome 0 ~S.ifr~

I guess I should be making a new thread for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post
舞-乙HiME 0 (シフル)
Mai-Otome 0 S.ifr

Broadcast/Media Format: TBA

Source: Mai-Otome Zwei Vol. 4 Promotion Poster
Anyone know what the 0 and Sifr stands for? Maybe it's about the origin of Otome? Either way, I'm feeling two-way about this: sad that they're not doing My-HiME Destiny instead, and excited to see what this new plot will be all about. And it's strange, My-Otome was only popular because My-HiME was popular and yet they're only milking the My-Otome franchise at this moment. I mean there's the My-Otome Zwei OVA, the Zwei manga, the Arashi manga, the Ayane Kourin manga, and now this. Poor My-HiME only has the fake movie trailer and My-HiME Destiny.

The official site is still not updated with any information on this.

Last edited by Sakuya; 2007-09-11 at 23:22.
Old 2007-07-24, 01:37   Link #2
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Maybe it's an anime adaptation of the Ayane Kourin stuff?
Old 2007-07-24, 04:00   Link #3
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

If they actually do a prequel, they better explain the origin of Miyu, the Administar, the book in Artai and the "Fuka Academy" portal system... and, in general, why the heck there are so many Mai-HiME references despite it being a different universe.

In my opinion, Sunrise should give an adequate wrapping up of the Otome story in Zwei part 4, and that should be it. Otherwise, we're going to end up with an incomprehensible continuity mess.

Maybe they should have even stopped with HiME, because Otome is clearly derivative from oh-so-many other stories. However, Otome had a surprisingly fresh premise and a chance to "do things properly this time" (which it, sadly, missed), so I don't mind it existing. But if they do a "Mai-Musume, which is to Otome what Otome itself was to HiME" ©, then I quit.
Old 2007-07-24, 05:05   Link #4
Naif

WHAT!?

I wanted a My-HiME Destiny anime
Old 2007-07-24, 05:43   Link #5
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikon View Post
Maybe they should have even stopped with HiME, because Otome is clearly derivative from oh-so-many other stories. However, Otome had a surprisingly fresh premise and a chance to "do things properly this time" (which it, sadly, missed), so I don't mind it existing. But if they do a "Mai-Musume, which is to Otome what Otome itself was to HiME" ©, then I quit.
I totally agree.
Old 2007-07-24, 07:09   Link #6
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Quote:
I wanted a My-HiME Destiny anime
With yet another alternate universe in the anime continuity?

At least, if Sunrise really wanted to, they could retcon HiME and Otome to take place in the same universe, just hundreds of years apart. (Why the characters look and are named the same is another story, but with some applied phlebotinum, it could be explained... Does the Otome manga explain this?)

Destiny, however, is explicitly and irrevocably an alternate universe. The setting and the characters exist, but the events of HiME never happened. Even if they adapted it into an anime, they would have a lot of explaining to do, namely why this "sequel" is in such discontinuity.

I have nothing against alternate universes, but they should be left for spin-off media (like the HiME and Otome mangas). Sunrise, I think, should pick one coherent setting out of the available two and elaborate on that from now on. If they prefer Otome over HiME, it's more or less fine by me - as long as it all makes sense in the end.
Old 2007-07-24, 08:12   Link #7
Same_Shark

Quote:
With yet another alternate universe in the anime continuity?

At least, if Sunrise really wanted to, they could retcon HiME and Otome to take place in the same universe, just hundreds of years apart. (Why the characters look and are named the same is another story, but with some applied phlebotinum, it could be explained... Does the Otome manga explain this?)

Destiny, however, is explicitly and irrevocably an alternate universe. The setting and the characters exist, but the events of HiME never happened. Even if they adapted it into an anime, they would have a lot of explaining to do, namely why this "sequel" is in such discontinuity.

I have nothing against alternate universes, but they should be left for spin-off media (like the HiME and Otome mangas). Sunrise, I think, should pick one coherent setting out of the available two and elaborate on that from now on. If they prefer Otome over HiME, it's more or less fine by me - as long as it all makes sense in the end.
The anime has implied that Otome may be 300 years after HiME.
Old 2007-07-24, 08:16   Link #8
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
Huh... I don't remember seeing that. A 12 Kings war stopped by Fumi Himeno, the first otome... doesn't sound like HiME at all.
Old 2007-07-24, 08:23   Link #9
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Quote:
It is a possibility, but it was never stated outright. By default, Otome is an alternate universe. And even if it's the future, it's definitely more than 300 years into the future, because 300 years ago is when the War of the Twelve Kings occurred - so humans had already settled on Earl by then.

(I hope this doesn't degenerate into yet another "So, are HiME and Otome related?" thread. There already is one.)
Old 2007-07-24, 08:24   Link #10
X207
Gamyūsa

looks like they'd spend time better in actually going thru with the hime movie
Old 2007-07-24, 08:26   Link #11
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

"The hime movie"?
Old 2007-07-24, 08:27   Link #12
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Fox View Post
Huh... I don't remember seeing that. A 12 Kings war stopped by Fumi Himeno, the first otome... doesn't sound like HiME at all.
It was probably an event after HiME ended. I'm not sure, just pointing out that being one of the clues. Plus in episode 6, Nina refers to the fish things as being like eels on Earth.

Last edited by Same_Shark; 2007-07-24 at 10:24.
Old 2007-07-24, 08:34   Link #13
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=30721

Please keep speculation in that thread.
Old 2007-07-24, 11:00   Link #14
solarknight123

Man not another mai-otome series Don't get me wrong it would be nice if it gave a good explantion on the origins of some of the stuff in the series, but there doing nothing with mai-hime. They have so much stuff they could do with it.
Old 2007-07-24, 12:30   Link #15
Alucard24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
And it's strange, My-Otome was only popular because My-HiME was popular and yet they're only milking the My-Otome franchise at this moment.
That's because Otome is better than Hime : more funny things and more fanservice

And maybe they prefer funny story against sad story (hime)
Old 2007-07-24, 12:30   Link #16
Same_Shark

They'd have to figure out a way to improve the story of Destiny to make it into a hit anime.
Old 2007-07-24, 13:54   Link #17
Cherry_Cat
The Cheshire Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
That's because Otome is better than Hime : more funny things and more fanservice

And maybe they prefer funny story against sad story (hime)
Well, I would say "dramatic" rather than sad. Hime too has funny moments and fanservice, and while Hime is universally recognized as a masterpiece, Otome's got mixed reviews, and the vast majority of fans watch it because it's connected with Hime and the two shows share the same characters. So... why another Otome, prequel, sequel, or whatever it is?
Old 2007-07-24, 14:27   Link #18
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
"The hime movie"?
I think X207 means the fake trailer of the HiME movie. I agree that it shows a lot of promise and it just sucks that it's only a fake trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Cat View Post
Well, I would say "dramatic" rather than sad. Hime too has funny moments and fanservice, and while Hime is universally recognized as a masterpiece, Otome's got mixed reviews, and the vast majority of fans watch it because it's connected with Hime and the two shows share the same characters. So... why another Otome, prequel, sequel, or whatever it is?
Exactly my thoughts! On the other hand, it would be very interesting if they do show the events of how life began on Earl and link it to HiME somehow.
Old 2007-07-24, 14:56   Link #19
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Cat View Post
It doesn't bother me much as long as there's a good story or cool characters, I'm fine.
Old 2007-07-24, 22:17   Link #20
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I guess I should be making a new thread for this:

Anyone know what the 0 and Issus stands for? Maybe it's about the origin of Otome? Either way, I'm feeling two-way about this: sad that they're not doing My-HiME Destiny instead, and excited to see what this new plot will be all about. And it's strange, My-Otome was only popular because My-HiME was popular and yet they're only milking the My-Otome franchise at this moment. I mean there's the My-Otome Zwei OVA, the Zwei manga, the Arashi manga, the Ayane Kourin manga, and now this. Poor My-HiME only has the fake movie trailer and My-HiME Destiny.

The official site is still not updated with any information on this.
Sorry guys. Found out that the title for 0 is read as "Cipher (Sifr)", therefore, the title should be:

舞-乙HiME 0 (シフル)
Mai-Otome 0 (Cipher/Sifr)

I stand corrected.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

Closed Thread