AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-12-31, 05:03   Link #1
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Mobile site

Probably not something that can be helped, but it'd be nice if there was a mobile version of the site. All the popup menus and that are great, but show up quirky on Opera mini (they show up, but can be anywhere on the page). Usability is a problem but then again, it's not really something that is of any importance. I still think it's a good website and once i have access to a proper computer i'll be able to see it for all it's glory
Old 2009-12-31, 08:35   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I don't see the point in a mobile version much, as you wouldn't be able to download torrents on your mobile/pda device anyway.

But AnimeSuki v3 (which I still need to finish someday soon) however won't use Javascript menu's and should be a bit more friendly to mobile browsers. Safari on my iPhone works alright.
Spoiler for image resolution:
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 12:19   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'm pretty sure he means the forum, since the main site doesn't have popups.

Also with regard to the new layout, can we have a switch to reverse the behavior of the button in UserCP? As in something to make it so by default forums are off, and javascript just turns them on, rather then javascript turning them off as the page loads (its kinda quirky; and obviously if I turn javascript off doesnt work).
Old 2009-12-31, 16:03   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I think the forum views fine on the iPhone 3GS, but it's not very iPhone friendly since you have to do some zooming, etc.

I think a mobile version of the forum is possible, but it would take some work... Hey, there should already be a iphone friendly theme for vBulletin already.
Old 2009-12-31, 17:12   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

vBulletin4 appears to have something of what can be called a mobile friendly skin (by default). But I'm basing this by comparison to what we have now.
Old 2009-12-31, 17:14   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Also with regard to the new layout, can we have a switch to reverse the behavior of the button in UserCP? As in something to make it so by default forums are off, and javascript just turns them on, rather then javascript turning them off as the page loads (its kinda quirky; and obviously if I turn javascript off doesnt work).
Actually, this is quasi-unrelated to the main topic, but if this is feasible I think this would be a good change in general. We can probably do this with CSS and adding a bit extra to the JavaScript. The current behaviour works (and is certainly good as a proof of concept), but it is a bit "quirks mode".
Old 2010-01-01, 00:36   Link #7
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
A browser like Mobile Safari renders pages as they would on a desktop. I've spent most of my time browsing this site using Opera Mini, which rearranges the site to fit the width of the phone screen (in 1 single column). Javascript is ignored entirely, unless it's the commands "Onclick" "onload" and "onunload", and these all trigger a refresh of the page.

I do have a browser that can display web pages properly, but the amount of Memory required to load such a page causes the browser (and in some cases the entire phone) to crash.

An example is when i click Thread Tools. The popup menu appears, but it's underneath the last post, which means i have to go to the bottom of the thread to subscribe
Old 2010-07-31, 08:53   Link #8
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I just got a Droid Incredible and it's awesome. I'd love to be able to post when I'm bored waiting for an oil change or something.

I found two styles on vB.org
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229238
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=213136

I suggest the first one. I am unsure how the second will work on non-Apple devices, but I figured I'd give you some choices.
Old 2010-07-31, 13:49   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Android Browser renders asuki forums just fine. I did have to disable the "fit to screen elements" and I just move the page around on the screen. It's not as comfy as on my laptop, but the phone's a lot smaller and easier to tote.
Old 2010-08-02, 12:57   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Android should view everything properly since it uses the same rendering engine used on the iPhone...

Even though a mobile site would be nice, I don't really need it since I don't view or post anything from my iPhone since its hard to type long posts. I use my iPad for that if I need to make a long post (since it has a full sized keyboard) or wait until I get back to my laptop.
Old 2010-08-02, 13:01   Link #11
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Sure it's manageable but you also have a tremendous amount of data (for a mobile device) to load. The point of the mobile style is to reduce the bandwidth spent on loading pages, not just to make it easier to navigate.
Old 2010-08-02, 13:30   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The document size is actually relatively small. The only actual size problems are avatar and signatures, which can be disabled in User CP.
Old 2010-08-02, 20:13   Link #13
Gin
*Artist

I don't see the need for a mobile site, I post from my BB just fine almost every day with no problems.
Old 2010-08-03, 21:28   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've worked the forums a bit from my Nokia e71x (Symbian OS) .... (caveat: I don't know why people get so excited over looking at the Internet through a 2x2 inch keyhole). The current site is passable for short posts or occasional browsing .... really, if I were doing something substantial I'd find a computer.
Old 2010-08-04, 12:45   Link #15
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I don't really get so excited about that. I like having internets on my phone for different reasons--like having it pretend to be a modem for my laptop.

I only really use the phone to browse the Internet when I need to look something up real quick on the go, or when I get stuck waiting somewhere and am rather bored with nothing to do. Then I'll fire up the old browser and read Cracked.com.
Old 2010-08-06, 01:19   Link #16
Kudryavka

Dunno if it's related, but the site looks halfway decent on a DSi. Though you have to do a heck of a lot of scrolling and loading the page by square segment.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 11:26   Link #17
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

The main purpose of a mobile style is to reduce the data taken with each page load. You don't realize how much data is transferred when you load a page.
Old 2010-08-06, 22:09   Link #18
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The main purpose of a mobile style is to reduce the data taken with each page load. You don't realize how much data is transferred when you load a page.
Yah, I realized. That's why I'll never buy a portable video game system to surf the internet. Actually, I'd never buy any video game system to surf the internet, I've got a beautiful laptop.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 20:29   Link #19
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Yah, I realized. That's why I'll never buy a portable video game system to surf the internet. Actually, I'd never buy any video game system to surf the internet, I've got a beautiful laptop.
DSi Browser isn't that great since it takes forever for a page to load and typing is time consuming because of its poor implementation. DSi is great as a gaming system, but has a horrible browser...

However, the iPod Touch or Android powered media tablet will perform a lot better since they have powerful processors built to run any kind of applications including web browsers. The DS is just designed for games, nothing else.
Old 2010-08-08, 16:03   Link #20
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Pandora works pretty well, too.