AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 01 Rating
Perfect 10 49 28.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 23.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 26.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 12.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.18%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.59%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-02, 14:54   Link #121
Loner
Lurking In the Darknes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
from the official site:

she has several devices

she has a staff which is an armed device
a book which is a storage device
and reinforce zwei which is a unison device
And Reinforce has her own (blue) book, if you weren't confused enough. (Wait, if she has the Blue Book, does this mean she's in charge of buying their vehicles as well? ...sorry. )

I'm also getting the impression, though I have nothing to base it on besides one brief part of the opening, that Hayate will be spending most battles in the commander's chair rather than out in the combat zone.
Old 2007-04-02, 15:00   Link #122
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
from the official site:

she has several devices

she has a staff which is an armed device
a book which is a storage device
and reinforce zwei which is a unison device

when all three work in conjunction she can bring out her true power. (eyes become blue, hair becomes white)

I guess they wanted to design a character that is different from your usual cartridge fed mages. Instead of using more and more cartridges to power up, she combines super robot style. XD
Bah, I want red eyes back.

Okay, that's a lie, I really want R1 back. Thanks for the info though.
Old 2007-04-02, 15:34   Link #123
Key Board
Carbon

relax we all want happy tome back

but who knows... I noticed that Hayate's magic circle is purple in the OP. The same color of original Reinforce

Hayate's circle was white at the end of A's
Old 2007-04-02, 16:17   Link #124
Woden

That could have to do with the whole multiple device thing...
Old 2007-04-02, 16:38   Link #125
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I wasn't totally impressed by this episode, but it sets the scene for the new characters though, so that's fine.

I'm not sure if I like Subaru that much though. I've never really enjoyed hotblooded shounen, and it seems like her character is pretty much that right now. I do like Teana however, so I'll keep my eye on her.

Other than that, I don't really have high expectations for this show, I just hope it will be fun to watch.

I am saddened by the exclusion of Yuuna Scrya... I suppose you have to remove some characters if you're adding at least
14 new ones >_>.
Old 2007-04-02, 16:56   Link #126
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
relax we all want happy tome back

but who knows... I noticed that Hayate's magic circle is purple in the OP. The same color of original Reinforce

Hayate's circle was white at the end of A's

THere was also something someone posted back in the fan thread about how Hayate was calling Signum by her title and Rein I was the only that used to call to her back that title.

So there is good chance that Rein I could be back.
Old 2007-04-02, 17:01   Link #127
Key Board
Carbon

IIRC, that happened in the A's sound stage and took place before Hayate went berserk
Old 2007-04-02, 17:09   Link #128
kari-no-sugata

Interesting to see that there's a sub out already - obviously some keen fans out there

I was going to write an in-depth summary of the whole episode, but since it's been subbed, I'll just write a few comments on bits I particularly liked.

The idea to go with the exam was a good one I think. Though it's the 3rd season, most of the setting previously had been around Earth while this time the Earth may not get that much if any focus (maybe later?). Also, there's many new characters to introduce. Some series decide to have a very busy and complex (and often rather confusing) first ep... while also introducing a lot of mysteries. However, since StrikerS ep 1 is very focused, it really helped (I feel) get more deeply into the series. Since it's an isolated physical exam, it's quite easy to follow, and doesn't require learning a bunch of new terms etc (something some series suffer from early on).

For example, we get a lot of insight into Subaru and Teana, including their abilities. While Teana's background is a bit of a mystery at the moment (for those who have only seen the ep, not prequel manga or other info sources), we get a good insight into what motivates Subaru, and how she's changed since 4 years ago.

The structure of the ep also allows the newcomer stars to get some decent screen time - gives them some room to shine.

It was also interesting to see Fate and Hayate as "commentators" (I bet we'll see some fan-art that uses such an angle) with Rein as the "referee". I couldn't help but smile as soon as Rein turned up as the ref.

It's also interesting to see that everyone seems like a "pro" - ie had a varied mixed of skills and spells. With everyone now having many years of professional magical training and experiance, that's to be expected really and it comes through in a nice and subtle way.

It's really interesting to see Nanoha's 19 year old personality - she's still kind and friendly Nanoha yet there's been some subtle changes. For a start, she does feel a lot more mature, even if her voice hasn't changed too much (become a bit richer and deeper). She was very calm about dealing with the situations at hand - relaxed, yet professional. At the very end of the test, she doesn't remotely panic or rush in casting a spell to save Subaru and Teana. She's almost too casual about it...

I also smiled at the way she arrived at the end, calming down Reinforce, putting the "minor things" (Subaru's recklessness) aside and focusing on first-aid. All with a few simple lines.
Old 2007-04-02, 17:36   Link #129
radister
Back and Alive! i think!?

Okay seen the ep and loved it

truth be told,
if you said nanoha to me two months ago, i would have said "nano-what?"
but after watching season 1 and 2 in February
well we all know the rest

Nanoha has taken top highs!

as for ep1 of Nanoha StrikerS
It rocked! i got to admit i was thinking subaru personality would be more like teana.
but these two new characters have nothing to hate, there great!

i can't wait for ep2!
this ep was great
a 10/10!
Old 2007-04-02, 17:50   Link #130
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So did they add any new loli characters to the cast this season. I theorize they are going to have to make up some ground to please the loli crowd now that Nanoha and Fate are all grown up.
Old 2007-04-02, 17:50   Link #131
JediNight
キズランダム

I wonder where Nanoha rescued Subaru from? Those weren't "Earth firefighters" as they had funky backpacks and mentioned mages themselves. Yet Subaru is a Japanese name, so...
Old 2007-04-02, 17:53   Link #132
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
So did they add any new loli characters to the cast this season. I theorize they are going to have to make up some ground to please the loli crowd now that Nanoha and Fate are all grown up.
Fate's adopted kids might do the job if that's what you're lookin' for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I wonder where Nanoha rescued Subaru from? Those weren't "Earth firefighters" as they had funky backpacks and mentioned mages themselves. Yet Subaru is a Japanese name, so...
Everything in episode 1 took place in Mid-Childa. Subaru Nakajima is named after Fuji Heavy Industries divisions (as states Wikipedia). Her name is written in katakana, as native Japanese-sounding it is.
Old 2007-04-02, 18:05   Link #133
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Yeah, Fate is now commander of the Loli-tai. She has Carol and Elio who both are like 11/12 years old. Nanoha gets Subaru and Tiana, who are like 15/16. Although if I read correctly, Vita is also in the Nanoha-tai, so theres some perma-loli for you ;p

Interesting that they have entire abandoned cities to practice in on Mid-Childa
Old 2007-04-02, 18:11   Link #134
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Interesting that they have entire abandoned cities to practice in on Mid-Childa
Also interesting that it's the area around the coastal airport 8... last seen burning at the beginning of the ep. Seriously, that incident was quite a bit bigger than just the airport!

Looks like we'll get a bit more info in the next ep...
Old 2007-04-02, 18:19   Link #135
JediNight
キズランダム

You think firefighters on Midchilda wouldn't have ineffective backpacks, but instead teach them water magic ;D If it was just the 1 spell they had to practice, it shouldn't be as much work to learn hehe
Old 2007-04-02, 18:40   Link #136
Loner
Lurking In the Darknes...

Quote:
You think firefighters on Midchilda wouldn't have ineffective backpacks, but instead teach them water magic ;D If it was just the 1 spell they had to practice, it shouldn't be as much work to learn hehe
Hah! Seriously, though, it's been stated before in the series and the manga that people with Linker Cores - presumably, that means LCs that have enough power to light a match, at least - are very rare, such that the Bureau is constantly short handed. Since the TSAB is built around those people, they naturally have a lot of magic-powered machinery (since they do have the power to run them), but it makes sense that the rest of the population therefore has to get by with mundanely-powered equipment.
Old 2007-04-02, 18:46   Link #137
guess

Still waiting for a better quality raw. Maybe we should write to the TV station who first broadcasts Striker S, "Dear sir, the entire international nanoha fandom depends on your broadcast. Please get a better master dvd!" This would be a record of pirates threatening copyright holders for better quality.
Old 2007-04-02, 18:48   Link #138
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I liked the first episode. Of course a month ago I had no clue what this series was about. After a week of watching the first two series I'm glad they made this just so I found out about it. Nice work by yesy getting it out to us. Know they'll do a good job.

Nice episode with plenty of action to get us started off. Subaru and Teana were quite the team out there. The mix of shooting and close combat was fun to watch. Makes me wish I had exams like that instead of multiple choice and essays . Couldn't help but start laughing when Teana lost it at Subaru due to her negative thinking about whether the plan would be a good idea. The variety of magic really impressed me as well. From 'fake silhouette' to the quick rescue made at the end of the episode.

I agree that the maturity of Nanoha was quite the shift. She's still the nice Nanoha but obviously she's grown emotionally on top of in ability and psycially. Clearly Subaru had a tough background but having Nanoha rescue you isn't so bad. Glad they made sure all space ships and animal life was cleared that was on hell of a shot.

Really enjoyed how things got started. This is one series I'll enjoy watching.
Old 2007-04-02, 18:51   Link #139
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Meh. I guess after watching 2 seasons of Nanoha this latest one doesn't seem very exciting anymore. It's nice to see how the old crew is doing now with their lives but other than that I don't find the first episode interesting. It's kind of odd seeing the old characters being professionals now. I'm still use to how everyone was a rookie hero in the last two seasons.

Oh yes, I was kind of shocked to see everyone now all grown up with a mature personality and nice bodily figures.
Old 2007-04-02, 18:59   Link #140
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

I personally thought the episode was ok, nothing was that spectacular. Maybe I'm spoiled by the awesomeness that was eps 1 and 2 of Nanoha A's. First off, seeing Nanoha and co. again was great, except for the fact that they did absolutely nothing except make random comments about the difficulty of the test. Subaru being half megaman/half fist on rollerblades was pretty cool. Teana having a single gun feels like it might be a limiting factor later in the series. I'm completely in love her personality though, all business no play . They really need some flying ability though, otherwise how are you gonna handle flying enemies that could bombard you from above?

I personally thought having a test as an opening episode was weak. I also thought that the characters needed to be put into more danger to start off the series. Teana breaking her leg by tripping as a set up was really blah. Also having the characters use cartridges in a test felt like they were cheating. Having Nanoha prepare herself for something in the middle of the ep and then having nothing major happening was a tease. I was really hoping for something to go awry that Nanoha and Co would have to step in... like the appearance of a cool new enemy to ruin the party instead of the the girls almost running into a concrete wall.

Dunno, I felt let down. Maybe because of the lack of awesomeness that is Vita...
Closed Thread