AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-19, 22:03   Link #81
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
Quite a debate happening here!

Bringing up another topic, wonder if the strawhats will face-off with Donflamingo or a Yonkou first.
Most likely Donflamingo first, too early for a Yonkou. Not that Luffy isn't ready, but more like Yonko are the top dogs in the new world. One does not go for the King on the first move, you got to go through the lesser ranks to get to the King. Could be interesting if Luffy does go against a Yonko.

Also another thing for discussion, not quite sure of its credibility, but there are some people in other forums who already knows a bit of the next member of the Strawhats. Its all rumors, but the statements are saying its a female that is applied to join next.
Old 2012-10-20, 00:57   Link #82
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Jinbei seems to be the next to join unless he dies during his personal time off.
Old 2012-10-20, 01:24   Link #83
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
Quite a debate happening here!

Bringing up another topic, wonder if the strawhats will face-off with Donflamingo or a Yonkou first.
Doflamingo doesn't have Yonkou level strength so it will be him first.
Old 2012-10-20, 01:45   Link #84
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
Doflamingo doesn't have Yonkou level strength so it will be him first.
The fact that you just said that is strange. We have yet to see his strength at all. We've seen him do some sick puppetry stuff and chop of the leg of a mega-gaint. We haven't had any real hint to what he is truly capable of. Just because he has a set bounty doesn't necessarily mean anything, neither does his status as a Shichibukai or a Yonkou. For all we know, he could be the strongest villain in the whole series, it just hasn't been revealed just yet. So there is no point in saying that he couldn't beat Shanks or Whitebeard or Garp or any other high tier characters. Why? Because like I said, we have yet to see any of his true capabilities yet.
Old 2012-10-20, 02:19   Link #85
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreGon45 View Post
The fact that you just said that is strange. We have yet to see his strength at all. We've seen him do some sick puppetry stuff and chop of the leg of a mega-gaint. We haven't had any real hint to what he is truly capable of. Just because he has a set bounty doesn't necessarily mean anything, neither does his status as a Shichibukai or a Yonkou. For all we know, he could be the strongest villain in the whole series, it just hasn't been revealed just yet. So there is no point in saying that he couldn't beat Shanks or Whitebeard or Garp or any other high tier characters. Why? Because like I said, we have yet to see any of his true capabilities yet.
Doflamingo is Top Tier no doubt but the difference is a Yonkou are considered the strongest pirate forces.
Old 2012-10-20, 02:24   Link #86
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

"I have strong unwavering convictions based on pure assumptions"
Old 2012-10-20, 03:44   Link #87
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
"I have strong unwavering convictions based on pure assumptions"
lol i don't know about you but i'm having fun reading these posts.
Old 2012-10-20, 10:15   Link #88
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Most likely Donflamingo first, too early for a Yonkou. Not that Luffy isn't ready, but more like Yonko are the top dogs in the new world. One does not go for the King on the first move, you got to go through the lesser ranks to get to the King. Could be interesting if Luffy does go against a Yonko.

Also another thing for discussion, not quite sure of its credibility, but there are some people in other forums who already knows a bit of the next member of the Strawhats. Its all rumors, but the statements are saying its a female that is applied to join next.
I was actually leaning towards Yonko since a Big Mom was revealed and there already many plans by some of the supernovas to take one out. I wouldn't be surprised if donflamingo and Strawhats don't spar directly for a while and that donflamingo stays in the shadows. I can't see donfalmingo being upset about PH, he didn't mind about disco and the human auction house fiasco; he could also abandon CC in a similar fashion. The importance of SAD matters a lot and its true donflamingo has sent more peeps to assess.

Its always tricky with new members Only thing for sure is that a new crew member met in the new world makes a lot of sense.

Quick note about bounties. There are a lot higher bounties now and its probably due to natural bounty value inflation. There are also a lot more high level pirates since the pirate age is older. Bounties should be compared based on when they were set.
Old 2012-10-20, 10:28   Link #89
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
In shounen manga, it's pretty easy to detect who the strongest characters are, and One Piece is no exception despite its eccentricity in some aspects. Pre-time-skip, at least, Whitebeard was labelled and renowned as the "World's Strongest Man", so by default Doflamingo would have to be weaker than him and thus not able to beat him without even seeing his true capabilities. Case-in-point, not everything has to be spelled out/purely shown for us readers to understand/deduce certain things.
Old 2012-10-20, 15:33   Link #90
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

In this thing we only have our gut instinct to go on. Well, that and bounties I guess. But as far as I've been able to tell, it seems Doflamingo may or may not be of similar level to Mihawk in terms of combat strength. Although it's hard to actually say because we don't -really- know what his abilities are. At least we know that Mihawk is simply crazy awesome with a sword.

Aaanyway, I'm not quite sure how Mihawk compares to Shanks, but I'm going to take a guess here and say that Shanks is probably stronger. After that I'm going to assume that the other two Emperors are more or less of the same threat level, but that's only an assumption.
Old 2012-10-20, 16:37   Link #91
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
In shounen manga, it's pretty easy to detect who the strongest characters are, and One Piece is no exception despite its eccentricity in some aspects. Pre-time-skip, at least, Whitebeard was labelled and renowned as the "World's Strongest Man", so by default Doflamingo would have to be weaker than him and thus not able to beat him without even seeing his true capabilities. Case-in-point, not everything has to be spelled out/purely shown for us readers to understand/deduce certain things.
So you believe WB is stronger than Sengoku and Kong?
Old 2012-10-20, 19:12   Link #92
marvelB

^Oh lordy, please don't start yet another pointless debate now.

Anyways, to go somewhat back on topic, while I made a little joke about it earlier, I have my doubts about Momo becoming a new member. While it does seem that he has some slight potential (he apparently stowed away on the ship with the kidnapped kids, ate a fruit whose powers even he doesn't know how to control yet, and most importantly, befriended Luffy), it's still too early to be certain of him being a Straw-Hat. Plus, he can apparently fly, which goes against what Oda said in the past about how he'd never add a new member who could fly (unless he's actually gliding, not flying). But just as with his father, I am really interested in checking out the full scope of his powers, whether he's a new member or not.....
Old 2012-10-20, 21:40   Link #93
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Why do we think every new allied character is gonna join the Strawhats now? :P
Old 2012-10-20, 22:34   Link #94
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Oh lordy, please don't start yet another pointless debate now.

Anyways, to go somewhat back on topic, while I made a little joke about it earlier, I have my doubts about Momo becoming a new member. While it does seem that he has some slight potential (he apparently stowed away on the ship with the kidnapped kids, ate a fruit whose powers even he doesn't know how to control yet, and most importantly, befriended Luffy), it's still too early to be certain of him being a Straw-Hat. Plus, he can apparently fly, which goes against what Oda said in the past about how he'd never add a new member who could fly (unless he's actually gliding, not flying). But just as with his father, I am really interested in checking out the full scope of his powers, whether he's a new member or not.....
But isn't Oda already breaking that promise in a sneaky way with Brook's soul?

But I don't think Momo would be part of a crew, though other than Franky, Chopper, and Robin, I've be more wrong than right with crew prediction since GL started.

Oh, and looks like we got a Chuun-patient here, call the doctors...
Old 2012-10-20, 22:37   Link #95
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Quote:
You're absolute correct on the point where you stated that "not everything has to be pointed out." But labels like Yonkou and World's Strongest Man, doesn't necessarily mean everything. White Beard was old and Dying, so what we saw at Marineford was not his strongest feat since he wasn't in his prime. But like I said, we have no idea what Donflamingo is really capable of. I'm not saying we need visual proof or anything like that. But I'm still willing to believe that he could definitely hold his own to any yonkou. Then again, I'm not doubting the strength of old WB or Shanks, so I don't want anyone assuming that I mean that DF could beat Shanks or anything like that.
Old 2012-10-21, 09:50   Link #96
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
But just as with his father, I am really interested in checking out the full scope of his powers, whether he's a new member or not.....
It will be interesting to see whether the "failed DF" comment is true and the consequences. I guess its possible kinemon will be battling with the new re-enforcements sent by donflamingo but i did agree with a comment someone made a few chapters ago that they would come in to do clean up and not necessarily confront the strawhats directly.

East style dragons tend to be water types?
Old 2012-10-21, 10:12   Link #97
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
White Beard was old and Dying, so what we saw at Marineford was not his strongest feat since he wasn't in his prime.
True, but despite his old age and sickness, WB was still regarded as the absolute strongest. There's no debating this. Now that two years have passed, however, someone/some people may have overtaken WB in strength and become the new strongest.

Quote:
But like I said, we have no idea what Donflamingo is really capable of. I'm not saying we need visual proof or anything like that. But I'm still willing to believe that he could definitely hold his own to any yonkou.
Initially, I placed Doflamingo in the same category as guys like Marco and Jozu, whom I consider to be a small step below the admirals and yonkou. The thing is, logically, Luffy shouldn't be able to beat someone of this level right now (or even in the near future). So it's either Doflamingo isn't as strong as I anticipated originally, or the strawhats have a lot of reserves in fighting power that they have yet to display (in other words, they're much stronger than we think but we just don't know it yet).
Old 2012-10-21, 10:21   Link #98
james0246

"Strongest" was a title given to Whitebeard because he was "equal" to Roger. I don't feel any need to debate whether or not Whitebeard was the strongest character alive (when he died), but the I will say that the title is now meaningless. "Strongest" is only a title that has any meaning when compared against someone or something else. Since there is currently nothing to be compared, there is no title for "Strongest" anymore.

That being said, I am sure others will emerge that will be as strong as Whitebeard.
Old 2012-10-21, 11:04   Link #99
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
"Strongest" was a title given to Whitebeard because he was "equal" to Roger. I don't feel any need to debate whether or not Whitebeard was the strongest character alive (when he died), but the I will say that the title is now meaningless. "Strongest" is only a title that has any meaning when compared against someone or something else. Since there is currently nothing to be compared, there is no title for "Strongest" anymore.

That being said, I am sure others will emerge that will be as strong as Whitebeard.
The comparisons can be made amongst the characters that are currently living. That's how it works; it's all relative to the times/era. If the world acknowledges someone as the strongest, and there's no one to contest that title to prove otherwise, then that person will irrefutably be declared as such. That being said, the title of "strongest" is still up for grabs.

Of course, it's also noteworthy to consider there are some who don't wish to pursue the title of strongest but are extremely powerful in their own right. Rayleigh is a perfect example of this. He's gone into retirement and has been inactive for the past 22 years, yet he showed he's able to take on an admiral just fine. So it can be difficult to determine exactly/definitively who the true "strongest" is. All we know is there are a select few who are eligible of being bestowed that title.
Old 2012-10-21, 11:13   Link #100
james0246

Quote:
The comparisons can be made amongst the characters that are currently living. That's how it works; it's all relative to the times/era. If the world acknowledges someone as the strongest, and there's no one to contest that title to prove otherwise, then that person will irrefutably be declared as such. That being said, the title of "strongest" is still up for grabs.
The world only acknowledged Whitebeard as the "Strongest" because someone of greater fame (Roger) bestowed the title upon him. Since there is currently know one of Roger's fame active (maybe Dragon?), the title of Strongest is relatively meaningless.

That being said, I do agree that it is a generational idea, and that the title will have meaning in the future, I just don't see it as having meaning presently or in the near future.
Closed Thread

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion