AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 120 51.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 25.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 10.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 5.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 3.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.43%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.43%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.13%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-06, 21:40   Link #221
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
I was being sarcastic.

Hint: It's the one where people die over and over again.

The place they're in now is static and ultimately meaningless if they never leave it. The SSS is using it as a hiding place, a way to avoid facing what really bothers them. This last episode makes it obvious. Yes, Yui enjoyed doing suplexes and playing soccer, but what she truly wanted was to fall in love and move on with her life, something that's impossible where they are now. Whatever the true situation, purgatory offers a transient happiness at best.
As if she can do that in her real life. If you need proof: she's dead at her teenage age. Even if this is just a comatose, now she has 1/6 billions (or 1/100 millions) chance to reach her fantasy dream. About Isawara, IF Iwasawa really wanted her music to touch people and express herself, then could she do that in her real world? How many people with the same dream ever got it btw?

Secondly, stop making up. What you are saying above is: all of the paralysed, disable people in the world ,even if they have a chance to live in a world where all of their disability are cured, will still refuse because they are happy as what they are now?!?! It will be hilarious if you can say the same thing to the poor, the sick, and the miserable.

If the real world can be such a fantasy land, then of course the SSS won't need this one
Old 2010-06-06, 22:04   Link #222
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Wow, certainly didn't see it coming.
Both on Yui's past and Hinata's feeling.

Well Hinata and Yui certainly has some momentum, but i didn't think Hinata liking Yui.
Nice episode this one.
Old 2010-06-06, 23:31   Link #223
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
In ep. 10, I was kinda skeptical about how the rest of the series would go. I was thinking is the rest of the Anime going to be like this? But at the end with that little plot twist/cliff hanger, I got my question answered.
Old 2010-06-07, 01:03   Link #224
maplehurry

Quote:
I am making no assumptions about disabled people--just that people should have the right to make their own choices.
Really ?

"It would be cruel beyond words to send them back to their hopelessly broken lives at this point--especially in Yui's case."
Old 2010-06-07, 01:40   Link #225
Raiga
tl;dr

If they had one more scene to transition from comedy duo to romantic duo, Hinata x Yui would have been perfect.

Like, all they had to do was have them screwing around as usual but end the gag with some sappy sentimental line, somebody blushes, and then I could have completely accepted the sudden jump to Hinata's overblown confession. I think they're a really cute couple but the turnaround was just way too abrupt.

Seriously why didn't they just buy 26 episodes of airing time.
Old 2010-06-07, 02:11   Link #226
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
If they had one more scene to transition from comedy duo to romantic duo, Hinata x Yui would have been perfect.

Like, all they had to do was have them screwing around as usual but end the gag with some sappy sentimental line, somebody blushes, and then I could have completely accepted the sudden jump to Hinata's overblown confession. I think they're a really cute couple but the turnaround was just way too abrupt.

Seriously why didn't they just buy 26 episodes of airing time.
I'm with this. I didn't realize that Hinata was actually making a true confession until the song was over; I thought he had just overheard Otonashi and Kanade's plan and randomly decided to help. I was thinking Yui x Hinata was as shippy as all the other at-least-slightly canon couples we've managed to cook up.

About this episode, lovely. Otonashi is now a Robin Hood sort of traitor, Yuri's going to smell some major rats soon, TK has insatiable urges to kiss, Noda is put to shame, and Hinata makes an unexpected confession that surprised me with its sincerity. This episode is really making the fact that this anime should get more than twelve episodes stand out and burn even hotter. Now I'm hoping for a new supplementary manga or light novel; heck, maybe even a little supplementary story-driven game would do.
Old 2010-06-07, 02:43   Link #227
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I'm with this. I didn't realize that Hinata was actually making a true confession until the song was over; I thought he had just overheard Otonashi and Kanade's plan and randomly decided to help. I was thinking Yui x Hinata was as shippy as all the other at-least-slightly canon couples we've managed to cook up.

About this episode, lovely. Otonashi is now a Robin Hood sort of traitor, Yuri's going to smell some major rats soon, TK has insatiable urges to kiss, Noda is put to shame, and Hinata makes an unexpected confession that surprised me with its sincerity. This episode is really making the fact that this anime should get more than twelve episodes stand out and burn even hotter. Now I'm hoping for a new supplementary manga or light novel; heck, maybe even a little supplementary story-driven game would do.
AB anime is slowly turn to Higurashi/Umineko anime (earlier episodes mostly) in my book, when the idea is good, but the terrible pacing and general directorship slowly ruined the fun. Still Higurashi has a SN to back it up, while Angel Beat does not have any concrete ground.

The worst of all is: I start to sense an inconsistency between manga-anime-novel ( the 4-koma is mostly for laugh, so it's out), mostly in Yuri and Hinata 's behaviors and characters.It's not gonna be funny if i'm correct
Old 2010-06-07, 02:49   Link #228
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandlazy View Post
Hinata doesn't remember dying, he remembers being struck by a vehicle.
So what's the reasonable conclusion then? They're in a world filled with humans who all remember something fatal happen right before they suddenly and inexplicably wake up here. They're in a world where you can't die and make things just by remembering them well. They're in a world where people disappear into thin air, when they find inner peace...
Old 2010-06-07, 02:59   Link #229
Key Board
Carbon

I'm pretty sure in Yui's case it meant: I want to grow up, get married, have babies and raise a family.

That's not possible in Angel Beats purgatory.

If you go by the waking from coma route, then there's also her mother to consider. There still a lot of unfinished business between the two.
Old 2010-06-07, 03:32   Link #230
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
AB anime is slowly turn to Higurashi/Umineko anime (earlier episodes mostly) in my book, when the idea is good, but the terrible pacing and general directorship slowly ruined the fun. Still Higurashi has a SN to back it up, while Angel Beat does not have any concrete ground.

The worst of all is: I start to sense an inconsistency between manga-anime-novel ( the 4-koma is mostly for laugh, so it's out), mostly in Yuri and Hinata 's behaviors and characters.It's not gonna be funny if i'm correct
Higurashi also got 48 episodes to fix itself. AB's only getting 13, unfortunately. Why, oh why did Maeda think he could squeeze AB into 13 episodes? I'm eager to see what he'll cook up next Friday.
Old 2010-06-07, 04:31   Link #231
Nanashiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I don't think she's been open with Otonashi at all. First of all, as previous comments have pointed out, we can't prove if anyone died. Yuri was the one who told Otonashi and Hinata that they're dead. She herself didn't tell us if she died and we're not shown anything towards that.

On the same thread, she also asserts that she didn't (attempt to) commit suicide. I find it likely that she's lying, because so far she's the only person to state that suicide is a condition for not entering purgatory, while Kanade and Yuzuru concluded that the overarching condition for ending up there is a heavy regret in life.

I don't hate on her, but I think she's either horribly misguided about the purgatory school or she's trying her damned best to stay there out of self-hate, even if she will have to be disingenuous about it.
I see that you are suggesting the 'coma' theory, which the story has been ambiguous since far. Iwase, Hinata, Yui did not look like they came to this limbo after their deaths.

Otonashi 'stopped breathing' a few moments before the rescue came, so it might be possible they managed to save his life, but he's in a comatose state.

As for Yurippe, I'm not holding the opinion that she is hiding something. For what we know, pretty much what she thought she 'knew', came from self-assumptions (from observations of the environment) or 'test' results.

It's pretty exciting to theorize on the happenings and hope saturday comes soon.
Old 2010-06-07, 06:36   Link #232
boredandlazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
They're in a world filled with humans who all remember something fatal happen right before they suddenly and inexplicably wake up here.
Wait one second, other than Otanashi (and potentially Hinata) we have absolutely no clue as to what happened immediately to anyone else before they appeared in this world.
We know Yuri's siblings were murdered, we know Iwasawa lost her voice after having an anuerysm and we know Yui was a quadraplegic.
If I've somehow missed how those three actually died feel free to tell me.
Old 2010-06-07, 06:44   Link #233
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Wait one second, other than Otanashi (and potentially Hinata) we have absolutely no clue as to what happened immediately to anyone else before they appeared in this world.
We know Yuri's siblings were murdered, we know Iwasawa lost her voice after having an anuerysm and we know Yui was a quadraplegic.
About the bold line, If gender discrimination was not at play *laugh* then they should be there due to the same reason - deaths
What else should we expect? The guys got there after their deaths, and the girls were their fantasy girls or something

But yeah, we don't know how exactly most of them died yet. You didn't miss anything
Old 2010-06-07, 06:48   Link #234
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
We know that all the SSS members have been told they're dead and none of them deny it. I know they can be idiotic but they're not that idiotic.
Old 2010-06-07, 06:58   Link #235
boredandlazy

Quote:
We know that all the SSS members have been told they're dead and none of them deny it.
Told by whom? By Yuri? How would she know she was dead? How would any of them know they were dead? It's not like they had a 3rd person view of their own demise.
Look, I'm not saying they're not dead but I'm just keeping the possibilty open.
Old 2010-06-07, 07:00   Link #236
boredandlazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
The guys got there after their deaths, and the girls were their fantasy girls or something
We don't know if Hinata died. He said he remembers a car accident, it doesn't mean he died from it.
Old 2010-06-07, 07:01   Link #237
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm aware that it's a possibility. But an open possibility isn't enough to say Yuri isn't being very open. Iwasawa, Hinata and Otonashi clearly remember suffering something fatal before they inexplicably wind up here. an afterlife is going to be the most reasonable conclusion. It's not unreasonable to assume it's the same for everyone.
Old 2010-06-07, 07:05   Link #238
boredandlazy

Quote:
I'm aware that it's a possibility. But an open possibility isn't enough to say Yuri isn't being very open. Iwasawa, Hinata and Otonashi clearly remember suffering something fatal before they inexplicably wind up here. an afterlife is going to be the most reasonable conclusion. It's not unreasonable to assume it's the same for everyone.
Last we knew of Iwasawa she was in a hospital bed and had lost her voice. There was no mention of her passing on.
Old 2010-06-07, 07:05   Link #239
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

She said it ended her life. I suppose you could take that figuratively but...a cerebral contusion can be fatal.
Old 2010-06-07, 07:11   Link #240
boredandlazy

Quote:
She said it ended her life. I suppose you could take that figuratively but...a cerebral contusion can be fatal.
I'm well aware that a cerebral contusion can be fatal. :P
Personally I thought she was speaking figuratively, because singing was her life and she had that taken away from her.
Either way, we could endlessly go in circles debating this topic but I think the best thing will be to wait and see.
Closed Thread