AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-11-21, 04:45   Link #1
Phych

Puffy AmiYumi animated series

So...Puffy AmiYumi are getting thier own animated series on Cartoon Network. Kinda makes me wonder if Japan has gone mainstream in the states.......NAH!!
Phych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 09:26   Link #2
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
It's the worst show I'v ever seen. It's not even funny. Although I will say this, I'v never seen 2 cuter cartoon characters. I had to keep watching just to look at there....cuteness....
Old 2004-11-21, 11:46   Link #3
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Since this thread has been created I would like to say one thing:

Quote:
The crazy melting monkey told me to!
I called for it first, and now it's mah quote!

Soconfused, you should give the show until at least 6 episodes before you delliver your verdict. After ll, it's better than anime wannabes like Totally Spies or Teen Titans (which was good until around season 2). I will have to admit that the frame-rate is awful (Ha! An anime element that was mastered by them but now Totally Spies and Teen Titans! ^_~), but at least it has an excuse. Do any of you know just how much it costs to get the rights to using those songs, even if they are super-shortened to 20 seconds? This is coming straight out of the shows budget, along with the actual singers having their own 20 second segment (more "bling" used for that.)

This is why the show looks awful frame-rate wise, so I think that would answer some of your questions.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 00:58   Link #4
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

It's a cute and funny television series that takes unique strides regarding how to compose a show (the case here being the show is centered around music); however, the demographic consists primarily of pre-teen girls and younger... we should keep that in mind.
Aaron_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 21:26   Link #5
Shoeshefied

Send a message via AIM to Shoeshefied
well I like it, i like the amiyumi cartoon though i only watch the last 2 minutes of it... im an old fan of puffy ^- ^, theyre so cool

Last edited by Shoeshefied; 2004-11-24 at 22:12.
Shoeshefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 21:28   Link #6
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I didn't even know there was a group called Puffy AmiYumi until I stumbled across this show, and after watching the intro to it I could tell why.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 01:33   Link #7
Meatwad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I didn't even know there was a group called Puffy AmiYumi until I stumbled across this show, and after watching the intro to it I could tell why.
I think they were the same ones that did the Teen Titans theme song, that is all I knew them from...and to be honest....they should have hired someone else to do that...so I would have to agree with you, LOL
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 10:26   Link #8
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
Just because it's japanese doesn't mean you have to watch it. A kid's show is a kid's show after all. If it's on cartoon network what do you expect? That it will be fantastic?
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 11:03   Link #9
Meatwad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
Just because it's japanese doesn't mean you have to watch it. A kid's show is a kid's show after all. If it's on cartoon network what do you expect? That it will be fantastic?
Heh, I do agree with you there. I only watched it because I give all of their cartoons a chance, most of Cartoon Network's cartoons when they started were pretty good. The first seasons of Dextors Lab and PPG were decent...both have degraded over time. The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy is still pretty good, but that is just me...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 11:49   Link #10
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
Spoiler for two words:

Let's face it. There's nothing really good on Cartoon Network anymore, and whatever is good becomes crap due to being played 5 to 12+ times a week with very few episodes (Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Kids Next Door), has been canceled (Sheep in the Big City, Case Closed), is on really late at night (FMA, InuYasha, Johnny Bravo, and Cowboy Bebop), or the voice actor of a favorite character died and they replace him with some new character (Captain Murey from Sealab 2021). This is the only non-but-yet-soon-to-be-ruined show that's on at a reasonable time and not played every other 6 hours and is on before midnite.

As for the show we knew that day would come eventually. Warner Brothers needs more money to do stuff, so why not whore out the popularity of two Japanese J-Pop stars? It's like what Gainax did with the Pillows! yay for leeching off popularity!

Besides, is there anything else on? Friday TV shows have been going downhill since the mid to late 90's when you really think about it. Saturday nights past 12 AM are the new Fridays when you truely think about it.
Old 2004-12-01, 23:03   Link #11
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
has been canceled (Sheep in the Big City, Case Closed), is on really
Case Closed was NOT canceled, they gave it a leave like they did with SEVERAL shows. It will be returning late spring of 2005 with new episodes.
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 04:40   Link #12
Jinx45
HELLO

That so true..........could not be more rite
Jinx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 15:09   Link #13
Cz
Needs more sleep~

So, what's the show about? I just saw the advertisement for it while watching Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab during lunch. ^^;
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 16:42   Link #14
vash13
kawaii

Send a message via MSN to vash13 Send a message via Yahoo to vash13
i like to watch Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. So whats wronge with it? I also like the band.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 00:15   Link #15
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaServ
Case Closed was NOT canceled, they gave it a leave like they did with SEVERAL shows. It will be returning late spring of 2005 with new episodes.
:Late reply:

Well, that explains a hella lot, foo![/Mr. T impersonation]

Spoiler for well, it's an inside thing.:
Old 2004-12-04, 10:20   Link #16
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
Spoiler for two words:

Let's face it. There's nothing really good on Cartoon Network anymore, and whatever is good becomes crap due to being played 5 to 12+ times a week with very few episodes (Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Kids Next Door), has been canceled (Sheep in the Big City, Case Closed), is on really late at night (FMA, InuYasha, Johnny Bravo, and Cowboy Bebop), or the voice actor of a favorite character died and they replace him with some new character (Captain Murey from Sealab 2021). This is the only non-but-yet-soon-to-be-ruined show that's on at a reasonable time and not played every other 6 hours and is on before midnite.

As for the show we knew that day would come eventually. Warner Brothers needs more money to do stuff, so why not whore out the popularity of two Japanese J-Pop stars? It's like what Gainax did with the Pillows! yay for leeching off popularity!

Besides, is there anything else on? Friday TV shows have been going downhill since the mid to late 90's when you really think about it. Saturday nights past 12 AM are the new Fridays when you truely think about it.
You forgot to mention Venture Brothers, I swear that show is the funniest thing i've seen in a LONG time. And besides, they still have alot of futurama eps that haven't been overly-sindicaded. I'm also quite optimistic about Tom Goes to the Mayor and Squigilbies (if they ever get their asses around to making new eps.)
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 15:07   Link #17
Sendo

What's the point of this show? Oh well, from what I've seen, I hate it.No offense. CN is screwing up a lot of their shows though....
Sendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 20:09   Link #18
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendo
What's the point of this show? Oh well, from what I've seen, I hate it.No offense. CN is screwing up a lot of their shows though....
There's absolutely no point of the show. It's all CUTENESS! Even a few Japanese female friends crossed it off their lists. AMG, we almost all died when we saw the movie trailers!
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 21:12   Link #19
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
There's absolutely no point of the show. It's all CUTENESS! Even a few Japanese female friends crossed it off their lists. AMG, we almost all died when we saw the movie trailers!
Ditto...It would have been one thing if the cartoon had at least some kind of interesting plot. But yeah, we're stuck with a ppg style imitation. The characters are quite cute, but I can't stand watching more than 5 minutes of the show. imo shows like teen titans are 10 times better than this show.

I'm rather curious to find out how Puffy AmiYumi's english CD is doing out here and if they are planning on going on tour. CN has done some major advertising for them. There was the teen titan opener, then a music video, advertising for hi hi p.a.y., and there's tons of posters at the mall and on buses advertising them and their show. I kinda want them to do good so they can pave a path for other jap. artists that want to branch out...yet I don't really see it happening since it is puffy amiyumi.

We need some singers like Maya Sakamoto or Hikki to step up to the plate cause they have great voices and can sing better english!
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 21:34   Link #20
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
You forgot to mention [b]I'm also quite optimistic about Tom Goes to the Mayor and Squigilbies (if they ever get their asses around to making new eps.)
Tom goes to the Mayor makes the BRAK show look good, it is flat HORRIBLE. Squidbillies was a spoof, it was listed as 96 eps in production, so that tips you off there that it was a spoof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixfire92983
We need some singers like Maya Sakamoto or Hikki to step up to the plate cause they have great voices and can sing better english!
I agree that Puffy AmiYumi don't sing in english well...
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote