AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 15 14.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 10.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 19.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 14.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 14.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 9.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 2.83%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 3.77%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 3.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 7.55%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-21, 23:01   Link #21
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Tell me how I'm wrong all you want, but in my opinion, I thought this was excellent in terms of character development O.o
Just nowhere as good as character development in LN (Well, technically the only development is b/t Kuroneko and Kyousuke...treat what happen as a flag in Kuroneko route). But since that's the only character development, by cutting it (for most part), it led to a very boring, flat story that lost all of its original meaning.

Quote:
I am more surprised that Kirino's light novel was already deemed a success from slight words+unreadable language to full blown out novel? What's with this? and now an anime in a span of a few days?!
Seems like the anime jump ahead and her novel already became a bestseller. The timeline is definitely more than a few days story-wise...

Quote:
Funnily enough I found myself on the same mind set as Kuroneko. And yes, I really do want to see Kirino kicked down and depressed. I mean, what a fricken drama queen this Kirino is. She overworks herself and collapses because some anime studio doesn't want to adapt her work the way she wanted. Give me a fricken break. I have no sympathy for her. Absolutely none. I mean she fricking acks like the worst spoiled brat I've ever seen at the meeting, and then gloats at the end of the episode about her own talents in sheer arrogance.
That's the whole point of why I think the anime version is bad. When the original version had her overworks, then have her own work basically stolen by someone else, the stress cause her health to go bad and well, got sick. So, to put it, it's not Kirino being drama queen, it's more about the reason of Kirino getting sick is totally unbelievable.

Quote:
Whatever. Kuroneko and Kyousuke so far have single handedly held this show up for me. But if the show's focus is not on them, but Kirino, the show isn't going to held up much longer.
The story revolves around Kyousuke. So to put it, the focus is always Kyousuke and the girls she's closest with during that certain period of time (Manami in a few chapter, Kuroneko has her turn later). Kirino being at home (where logically you spent the most time in) means the "closest" girl is usually Kirino.
Old 2010-11-21, 23:02   Link #22
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanibas View Post
Yeah, I get that in retrospect, Kyousuke's wording seems a bit illogical and a sob story, but hey, when you've got logical against you, all you can do is introduce an emotional side to it. Honestly, I thought their efforts were heroic, despite how weak their argument is in regards to costs. If I had someone bowing before my knees begging, I too would reconsider =/.
Actually this is where he screwed up, he could have used their logic against them, telling them that they are being unprofessional with their investor's funds. They are supposed to take the aspects of the novel that made it popular and amplify it in anime form. Kyousuke should have said that butchering the original to such a degree would have created work that doesn't sell and since the committee was all about maximizing return they would not have been able to rebuke that, especially when he has the sales of the novel to back him up.

Neither Kyousuke not Kuroneko managed to think on their feet this ep, instead resorted to emotion based attack routes that would not have worked against a bigger committee.
Old 2010-11-21, 23:14   Link #23
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I liked this episode. It was entertaining hearing Kuroneko talk so much and defend Kirino's anime. And grilling Kyousuke on the train, so cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I mean she fricking acks like the worst spoiled brat I've ever seen at the meeting
I can't ignore you overreacting on this point. We've seen how passionate Kirino is when it comes to anime. How hyper she gets and that KIRA dance she does at the very beginning of an anime just starting to come on should have let everyone know that she's extremely excitable, energetic, and enthusiastic about her hobby.

The whole point of the meeting was to get her opinion on what the studio wanted to do with the anime. After the introductions, the director asks her if she had anything in particular that she wanted in the anime. What do you expect her to do except list everything she wants? If they reject it then that's that, but taking issue with her answering the question she was asked is a little ridiculous.

And it's not like she pressed the issue once she got thoroughly rejected on every point. She quietly nodded her head to everything, and left the meeting completely drained because not only did they ignore her vision of her story as an anime, but they wanted to completely rework into something that wouldn't even have been her story.

Kirino does a lot of stuff wrong, but her behavior at the meeting doesn't make that list. I can't see how any anime fan can get mad at her for being excited that her story got an anime.
Old 2010-11-21, 23:14   Link #24
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

That's the first time I didn't quite enjoy a Oreimo episode. It all felt a bit surreal to me - getting a novel published, then an anime.

On the other hand, it's like the show acknowledged the Kirino hate from part of the audience...
Old 2010-11-21, 23:21   Link #25
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
The whole point of the meeting was to get her opinion on what the studio wanted to do with the anime. After the introductions, the director asks her if she had anything in particular that she wanted in the anime. What do you expect her to do except list everything she wants.
Shortlist ≠ Brain dump. What she did was not exactly appropriate.
Old 2010-11-21, 23:25   Link #26
sikvod00

That poor scriptwriter dude got owned twice by a middle school girl. First from Kirino getting an anime adaption for her hit novel (unlike him); then from Kuroneko talking down to him like he was ....a middle school girl.
I'd totally understand if he was contemplating suicide in that aftermath; that's unbelievably embarrassing (read: FUNNY).
Old 2010-11-21, 23:27   Link #27
GundamZZ
残念美人

This episode is only hilarious for hard core anime fans.

Last episode is the the parody a popular on-line novel. That on-line love story novle was popular in Japan. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of JPN people read it with their cell phone. It even made into movie. Of course, it sucked. The anime staffs altered the setting, so they would not cause the upset from that particular author. I think.

This episode is parody on anime itself. The contact from the publisher is referring to the voice actress(Shizuka Itō) and an anime character(http://i52.tinypic.com/2zzreyq.jpg).

Spoiler:
Old 2010-11-21, 23:28   Link #28
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
For a professional novelist entering their first meeting, debatable.

For a teenage otaku that's always hiding her power level and has been known to go over 9000 whenever she doesn't have to hide it, I would have been disappointed if she were any less excited.

This is probably a dream come true for her. Actually, it's probably more likely that she never even considered it possible for her work to really get an anime. I don't expect her to not have some fun with it.
Old 2010-11-21, 23:31   Link #29
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
What do you REALLY expect from a 14 years old?

I mean, inappropriate? When did Kirino became a professional and suppose to act like a professional? At the end of the day, she's 14 (Not always obvious), immature, and a crazy anime otaku. She like Meruru, and obviously its CV, so of course she wants her to voice the main.

On the other hand, it reminds me of how some people (on various anime forum) claim stuff are crap if certain characters are not voiced by the person they want (Remember the 2ch hate on Ayana before the anime even air...), plot straying away (I'm being one of them right now XD), etc.
Old 2010-11-21, 23:32   Link #30
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Pretty good in fleshing out the personalities of the characters here. Though the LN readers may be disappointed. Ironically, the episode is about her "Novel" getting a different adaptation. Same happened in adapting the original LN.

Kirino's brat attitude can be blamed to Kyousuke. She became a total perfectionist who can't deal with someone defying her ideas and preferences. I don't have a little sister but I have a big sister and we are always arguing about ideas and things. Kyousuke's lack of interaction with her in their early years made her a personality of a spoiled brat. And now he's doing this brother obligation to push her spoiled personality to even worst. Kuroneko's right in this one that he should defy her because its for her own good.

And yes, adapting crappy manga/novels these days to anime over a much better mangas/novels, there must be something wrong with the world. Even music world, crappy pop artists with just a face dominating the mainstream.... Ok I'm going off-topic.
Old 2010-11-21, 23:33   Link #31
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I can't ignore you overreacting on this point. We've seen how passionate Kirino is when it comes to anime. How hyper she gets and that KIRA dance she does at the very beginning of an anime just starting to come on should have let everyone know that she's extremely excitable, energetic, and enthusiastic about her hobby.

The whole point of the meeting was to get her opinion on what the studio wanted to do with the anime. After the introductions, the director asks her if she had anything in particular that she wanted in the anime. What do you expect her to do except list everything she wants? If they reject it then that's that, but taking issue with her answering the question she was asked is a little ridiculous.

And it's not like she pressed the issue once she got thoroughly rejected on every point. She quietly nodded her head to everything, and left the meeting completely drained because not only did they ignore her vision of her story as an anime, but they wanted to completely rework into something that wouldn't even have been her story.

Kirino does a lot of stuff wrong, but her behavior at the meeting doesn't make that list. I can't see how any anime fan can get mad at her for being excited that her story got an anime.
Her behavior showed total disrespect to the process of creation. Sure we'd all love that, but the requests were not grounded in reality. When actually pressed about reasonable issues, she couldn't even give answers to defend why she wanted something. To me, it was like watching a kid in a candy store go "want want want." Sorry, I find it flat out annoying.

It just adds more to what I dislike about her character. Almost everything goes right for her, she seems to be living her perfect dream life, and we're suppose to sit back and be like "Damn, that really sucks that her anime isn't going to be exactly like she wanted."

I found it funny that the show was almost self commentating on this, and why I'm hopeful it's going to tackle some these issues in the upcoming episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
The story revolves around Kyousuke. So to put it, the focus is always Kyousuke and the girls she's closest with during that certain period of time (Manami in a few chapter, Kuroneko has her turn later). Kirino being at home (where logically you spent the most time in) means the "closest" girl is usually Kirino.
The events are all triggered by one character, Kirino. Hardly any of the events have anything to do with Kyousuke specifically. As far as we can see, the show's focus is on Kirino.
Old 2010-11-21, 23:35   Link #32
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I have to be frank - this anime's narrative is starting to seem a bit much to me.

I mean... my word... does Kyousuke have to help out Kirino with every single issue that she comes across in her life? He's practically babying her.

This could have been a very important point of maturation for Kirino. She would get to see some of the unpleasant realities when it comes to anime adaptations of manga or novel source material, and hence she would get to see that even the things you love in life can have a dark or displeasing side to them.

That's good.

It matures people.

It lets people know that not everything in life is stars and rainbows where you can bring deceased friends back from the dead as you can do in Stardust Witch Meruru.

I didn't agree with everything that Kuroneko stated in this episode, but I strongly agree with her on one point: Kirino needs to face a setback for a change. She needs to come out of a situation where she doesn't get everything she wants. When I saw her ideas get mostly shot down by the anime team she spoke with, I was actually relieved. I thought "Finally this girl is going to have to face some real adversity in life, and maybe she'll become a better person for it".

But no, Kyousuke to the rescue yet again...

I know that people argue that the SOS Brigade goes overboard to please Haruhi, but wow, even Koizumi isn't anything compared to Kyousuke here.

I will give this anime props for being very realistic and poignant about the processes involved in anime adaptations of mangas or novels. The partly new OP with the mechas flying everywhere for the 2nd half was a surprising change for me, and I kind of like it. I can also see where much of this episode would resonate with anime/manga/light novel fans, as it heavily touches upon the displeasure that many of us feel when an anime doesn't stick closely to its source material. No doubt that this is intended to make us cheer when Kirino's novel gets a more faithful adaptation.

Even so, I find it hard to cheer, for the other reasons I mentioned before.
Old 2010-11-21, 23:56   Link #33
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Her behavior showed total disrespect to the process of creation. Sure we'd all love that, but the requests were not grounded in reality. When actually pressed about reasonable issues, she couldn't even give answers to defend why she wanted something. To me, it was like watching a kid in a candy store go "want want want." Sorry, I find it flat out annoying.

It just adds more to what I dislike about her character. Almost everything goes right for her, she seems to be living her perfect dream life, and we're suppose to sit back and be like "Damn, that really sucks that her anime isn't going to be exactly like she wanted."

I found it funny that the show was almost self commentating on this, and why I'm hopeful it's going to tackle some these issues in the upcoming episodes.
Why did her requests need to be grounded in reality? And how exactly is she supposed to know what "reality" is when this is her first meeting and her first anime? And what exactly is "reality" supposed to be? Were any of her requests unprecedented in anime? I don't remember everything she listed, but I don't remember thinking she was asking for something that's never been done before.

My thing is, the director asked her what she wanted. She then told the director what she wanted. I think the candy store analogy is good. That's exactly what Kirino was like. Mom says "Kirino, what do you want?" and Kirino runs around ooh'ing and ahh'ing at everything that she wants. And then she gets told she can't have any of it. A spoiled brat would then throw a tantrum, cry her lungs out, storm out of the room, or something extreme, but Kirino doesn't do any of that. She sits and listens to the reasons she can't have what she wants, and accepts it.

I don't see spoiled brat in any of that.
Old 2010-11-21, 23:58   Link #34
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I don't see spoiled brat in any of that.
I suppose the whole sick routine wasn't a tantrum to you? That's someone who simply just can't understand, you can't always get what you want.
Old 2010-11-22, 00:01   Link #35
sikvod00

I agree that characterizing her behavior in the meeting as a spoiled brat is wrong. Kirino was obviously excited and initially expecting all her ideas and wishes to be accepted, but when they told her no, she obediently complied and was willing--albeit hesitantly--to make the appropriate changes. Spoiled brats are NOT compliant.
Old 2010-11-22, 00:06   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I suppose the whole sick routine wasn't a tantrum to you? That's someone who simply just can't understand, you can't always get what you want.
Most of Kirino's requests I felt were reasonable. Suggesting some specific voice actors, requesting a specific artistic team... that seems reasonable to me.

But a different OP for each and every anime episode?

When it's 52 episodes in length?

Now I know why Bakemonogatari couldn't afford to properly animate some of its scenes. Kirino (or, rather, her brother) must have talked SHAFT into doing all those different OPs.

In complete seriousness, it wasn't just that she had some requests - which would be fine - but it was the sheer number of them, and the outlandishness of some of them. So I see where you're coming from Reckoner.

However, I agree with DJ Trouble and sikvod00 that she actually took the rejections pretty well. Which is precisely why Kyousuke should have left well enough alone. You could actually see Kirino growing up a bit as she took those rejections all in stride.

At this point, I fault Kyousuke almost as much as I do Kirino, if not moreso. He's spoiling his own sister. She's tougher than he thinks, imo. His babying of her is doing nothing but hurting her in the long-run, in my view.
Old 2010-11-22, 00:06   Link #37
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
First, the original post I quoted said "at the meeting." Her behavior "at the meeting" was not that of a spoiled brat.

Second, that sick "routine" didn't look like some kind of act to gain sympathy or get her way. It's not a tantrum if you're not in complete control. So yea, not a tantrum. Kirino's immature, but we already knew that.

Edit: Kirino was expecting the series to be 26 eps, not 52. She counted a different song for the opening and ending of each ep, which is how she got 52.
Old 2010-11-22, 00:08   Link #38
Excorsism

I totally understand the staff's viewpoint. What with how horrible the direction the staff of THIS series is taking it. Sheesh, there will be never be a perfect adaptation.

This episode is disappoint.
Old 2010-11-22, 00:10   Link #39
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Sick Routine??? She just have to get sick (plot wise) so that Kyousuke would "represent" her. Or else we would not even have the 2nd part of the whole story...

Quote:
In complete seriousness, it wasn't just that she had some requests - which would be fine - but it was the sheer number of them, and the outlandishness of some of them.
I would take it as a parody of anime fan. We all have moment where we goes "The animator could have add this or that". And yes, some of those complaints are completely outlandish...
Old 2010-11-22, 00:13   Link #40
iLney

So they used this ep to explain why this series sucked.

Good try! 1/10.
Closed Thread