AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-09-22, 21:24   Link #1
murdoch

Manga like Dance Till Tomorrow

Hi All!

I'm new here and in need of some new manga. I'm a huge fan of Naoki Yamamoto (I daresay he's my favorite aside from Junji Ito). His manga might not really be that easy to love (no otaku tropes and usually no clear-cut personalities/archetypes) but his works have been consistent character and societal studies. Dance Till Tomorrow is my favorite; it's part screwball comedy and part a critique of societal responsibilities (particularly marriage and relationships). I love how "realistic" the characters there are; this might be the first manga I've read where the author has truly captured the difference between men and women and yet, without sweeping any form of judgement whatsoever. I'm looking for similar manga with complex characterization and subtle storytelling with a disregard for typical conventions.

Aside from that, I also like Junji Ito's works for their sense of macabre and menace. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Ito's art (I wouldn't call it avant garde but it's definitely not typical) is fantastic.

Other manga I like are:

Arigatou
Believers
Tomie
Uzumaki
Drifting Classroom
murdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 21:49   Link #2
jedinat

Seems like our tastes aren't alike in the least, but taking your preferences into consideration I'll make a few recommendations anyways...
Natsu no Zenjitsu
Koi Kaze
Hitsuji no Uta
Sexy Voice and Robo
Skyhigh
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 09:07   Link #3
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Oh. A fellow Yamamoto fan! Welcome!

Have you read Inio Asano's A Girl By The Sea? It caught my eye since I found out this is a collaboration with Yamamoto, and it really shows! Gone are the internal monologues and we have here a much more restrained Asano. I think it works personally.

Akujo Seisho, from the first two chapters I've read, reminds me somewhat of Tomie. The lead is vicious and manipulative in a quiet sort of way and the atmosphere reeks of something far more sinister without being heavy handed. Mind you, I don't know if the rest of the chapters (if ever they get translated) will carry the same tone, but it certainly has been a pleasant surprise so far.

While it's difficult to recommend something Yamamoto-like (he's quite ahead of his peers for me), do check out some of the manga below for their complex characters and storyline:

Me and The Devil Blues
Helter Skelter
River's Edge
Dragon Head
Witches
Japan Tengu Party (Also seconding Kuroda's Sexy Voice and Robo!)
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 23:09   Link #4
murdoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Seems like our tastes aren't alike in the least, but taking your preferences into consideration I'll make a few recommendations anyways...
Natsu no Zenjitsu
Koi Kaze
Hitsuji no Uta
Sexy Voice and Robo
Skyhigh
Among those reccs, Sexy Voice and Robo and Natsu no Zenjitsu I'll check soon. I've read Iou Kuroda's Nasu a year ago and really enjoyed it. Natsu no Zenjitsu I've only heard bits and pieces around, mostly coming from the same author as Koi Kaze, which I only mildly liked. I'm not really a fan though of Toume Kei and Takahashi Tsutomu (moreso Tsutomu whose characterizations I find awkward and forced), but I'll check them out when I'm done with the other two.

Thank you! Appreciate the help!
Old 2012-09-29, 23:16   Link #5
murdoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevvers View Post
Oh. A fellow Yamamoto fan! Welcome!

Have you read Inio Asano's A Girl By The Sea? It caught my eye since I found out this is a collaboration with Yamamoto, and it really shows! Gone are the internal monologues and we have here a much more restrained Asano. I think it works personally.

Akujo Seisho, from the first two chapters I've read, reminds me somewhat of Tomie. The lead is vicious and manipulative in a quiet sort of way and the atmosphere reeks of something far more sinister without being heavy handed. Mind you, I don't know if the rest of the chapters (if ever they get translated) will carry the same tone, but it certainly has been a pleasant surprise so far.

While it's difficult to recommend something Yamamoto-like (he's quite ahead of his peers for me), do check out some of the manga below for their complex characters and storyline:

Me and The Devil Blues
Helter Skelter
River's Edge
Dragon Head
Witches
Japan Tengu Party (Also seconding Kuroda's Sexy Voice and Robo!)
I know. It feels like Yamamoto's a league on his own (though I would like to be proven wrong). Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not actually a huge fan of Asano but A Girl By The Sea really doesn't feel like a typical Asano read fortunately. I feel Yamamoto is a big influence here and, you're right, curbed down what feels like youthful egocentricity from Asano.

Akujo Seisho I'll read afterwards. I've seen the art and liked it a lot; lead character does look like Tomie though.

As for the rest, I'm so glad I have tons of manga to read. They all look interesting, especially Me and The Devil Blues. I'm obsessed with the Prohibition Era right now and the first few chapters I've read is fantastic.

Thank you!
Old 2012-09-30, 19:58   Link #6
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Too bad Me and the Devil Blues was discontinued. Reading it, I still can't believe this was written by a Japanese mangaka. I think this is as authentic you can get for such a setting.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote