AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Old 2006-08-13, 21:39   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If they hit the mark on this properly... they could easily run for several seasons with actual story content -- unlike some of the other long running series I'm not going to mention. That's the great thing here.... they've got 15 volumes of existing storyline to work with... the hard part is creating seasonal arcs that finish each season with a bang but leave the audience wanting more....
(starts hoping they release more of the 1/8 scale figures ... wanting Mana and Kaede )
Old 2006-08-13, 21:44   Link #22
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
starts hoping they release more of the 1/8 scale figures ... wanting Mana and Kaede
With the new series coming along soon, you just know the amount of new Negima merchandise is gonna sky rocket~

& its so hard to just just two characters i want as a PVC figure.. i want 'em all! >_<

Gaah, i've made so many new avatars from the preview - and i've no idea which one to use. I'm just gonna have to go with Yue while i get some sleep. ^^;;

Last edited by Shiroth; 2006-08-13 at 22:34.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 23:50   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(agh.... I just made the mistake of clicking on a Funimation advert and was "treated" to the scariness that was the english dub of "Season Zero" of Negima...)

edit: <squeal> finally got to see the actual avi file .... most excellent animation and art (though I have to say the digest compression accentuated the fanservice). Looks like the OVA at least spread the 'screentime' for the girls nicely. I certainly hope the OVA quality is carried into the series -- most of the PPD series was quite nicely animated but they did play a *lot* of tricks to control their budget (stills, stylistic art play, etc) in that series.

<whew> Evangeline in motion does not look like an Evil Becky Twin.

(smartass remark) sure are a lot of offscreen fans blowing that entire class full of hair

I guess... that the production team decided that Asuna having two eye colors was either too distracting or that the coloring squad would end up forgetting which eye was which --- either way, unfortunate as that was an appealing factor. The rest of the girls in motion are spot on great (though they've amped up the curves a bit - I doubt there will be many complaints).

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-14 at 01:22.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 05:13   Link #24
eggplant
Eggplant

Sheesh, didn't even know Vol. 15 with the DVD extra was out already. Went to pick it up today at the local Animate, and they were stacked (makes me wonder why I even bothered to reserve a copy), but didn't see the standard edition, which was a bothersome sight, as not everyone wants to dish out 1,500 yen for the DVD bonus.

Contrary to my expectations, the preview for the OVA was good. The artwork is different was the manga and the first anime, but nonetheless pretty nice. They didn't let up with the fanservice bits either. Definitely going to buy the OVA when it comes out in October.

Too bad the quality and the fanservice will probably not be retained for the upcoming Negima!? series, but at last I'm relieved in seeing that Gansis/SHAFT is capable of handling the characters from an artwork perspective.

The most hilarious moment was the portrait of Setsuna by her seiyuu Kobayashi Yuu

Now all that remains is to win the draw to participate in the September screening for the Summer OVA.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 06:41   Link #25
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I've moved some of the recent posts into a new Negima OVA thread. Currently I consider it unlicensed as well (that may change if there is any indication is has been licensed or is part of the FUNImation deal).

Please remember this thread if for the new (as yet unaired) Negima TV series.

If you want to discuss the Negima OVA then please don't post about it here, it has it's own thread now.

If you want to discuss the original show, then please use the Mahou Sensei Negima thread in the DVD & Licensed forum.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 07:31   Link #26
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

From ANN~

Quote:
Negima series 2 begins Ocober 4 in Japan. The series will reportedly have a new story, rather than an further adaptation of Ken Akamatsu's manga.
At least this way it gives us a chance to start of fresh, but still - if they plan to go for a complete new storyline, then using the plot of the Summer beach arc story for the OVA seems confusing..
Old 2006-08-14, 12:15   Link #27
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

A few notes here:

Seiyuus: From what I read, the only character that will be having a seiyuu change is Chao (and that's due to her original seiyuu getting married and retiring).

Lack of fanservice: Personally, I prefer Negima's "story" over it's "fanservice" and "harem moments" (i.e. those moments that all 31 students instead of just the ones that are important to the story). Hence, I don't mind if the new series doesn't have that much fanservice (although after seeing pictures of the "nude adeat sequence" with Asuna, I'm hoping that Nodoka gets one as well in either the new series or the Summer OAV) Speaking of Nodoka...

Personal hopes for the series: My main hope for this series is a big one (especially considering how Xebec all but ignored this in their version of Negima): I hope that SHAFT actually remembers that along with Asuna, Negi also has Pactios with
Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-14, 12:25   Link #28
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Somehow, the art style looks a bit "chibi-zed" a bit... Me, I care for only one thing, seeing Tsukuyomi with blonde hair and not brown...
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 13:15   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@TnAdct1: The background of some of the artwork is tilework of all the cards ... so one might possibly glean the idea that they will be focusing on the pactios more seriously in this new timeline.
Thanks for the seiyuu data - impressive if only one changed. I rather liked all the voices of "season zero" (though not much else).

I'm *suspecting* (no data to support yet) that they're just going to tell a streamlined version of the manga with a lot of events re-arranged for dynamic reasons coupled with new stuff they think up as they go along. When I say streamlined, I mean only the *major* event points might be maintained like:
1) Negi arrives at school, pisses off Asuna.
2) Negi meets the various students
3) Negi extended encounter with Evangeline and Chach
4) Negi library sequence
5) Negi Kyoto arc

Anyway.... idea being that those major milestones are hit but with almost everything underneath rewritten in some way. I'm just finding it kind of hard to believe they'd toss so much existing material ... they are on a budget after all.
Old 2006-08-14, 16:20   Link #30
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Hmm, we never know - they might just have a completely new storyline/plot already for the new series. Though, i would be pretty happy it if went just as Vexx has said - but with reports saying it wouldn't follow the manga storyline.. i have to think again.
Old 2006-08-14, 20:48   Link #31
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Umm, I hate to say it Vexx but I somewhat doubt it. What you're listing would qualify as "following the storyline" as well as any anime follows a manga storyline. Since they're going out of their way to tell us it won't follow the storyline, I expect massive deviations.

Not that that's necessarily bad - I would have actually liked a show that fast forwarded to them as adults fighting wrongs or whatnot, and there's no reason why an alternate Negi would necessarily be bad. I'm just always a little wary when they go out of their way to point out they're going to change things.
Old 2006-08-14, 20:53   Link #32
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Hmm, hopefully they'll keep the characters relationships the same. Like Setsuna & Konoka past/friendship, same goes for the past between Ayaka & Asuna.. those are parts i believe they really need to be kept for this to be in anyway a Negima anime.

Ah well, hope they at least keep the Thousand Master apart of the story.. thats a character i know i want to see more of.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2006-08-14 at 21:45.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 21:05   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Umm, I hate to say it Vexx but I somewhat doubt it. What you're listing would qualify as "following the storyline" as well as any anime follows a manga storyline. Since they're going out of their way to tell us it won't follow the storyline, I expect massive deviations.

Not that that's necessarily bad - I would have actually liked a show that fast forwarded to them as adults fighting wrongs or whatnot, and there's no reason why an alternate Negi would necessarily be bad. I'm just always a little wary when they go out of their way to point out they're going to change things.
well.. I did label it pure speculation (or "wishful thinking" might be a better term). I just hope they leave the general concepts alone like:
1) the cards/Pactios
2) some adventure involving the library complex
3) the Evangeline conflict/comradery
4) the Nodoka/Negi tension and the Setsuna/Konoka bits
5) some form of the Kyoto arc that climaxes with the demon battles and Evangeline in full "bloom"

How they arrange them, how each girl gets her card, etc etc ... can be completely new and fine. Each girl's "adventure" with Negi could be novel as well (though I might miss Kaede in the woods or Mana's perimeter hunt).

A lot of stories about teams involve the assembling of the team and thats a large part of the Negi series --- it would have to be really compelling to want to skip over all that. I do like the idea of a "fast forward" to the assembled team .... but at that point I'd like to see Negi be 14 or so and the girls all in their senior year - and I'm not seeing that in the character designs.

Ah well, the next volume from Del Rey is due out in mere instants of time ... that'll keep me diverted.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-14 at 21:23.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 21:25   Link #34
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I'd like to see Negi be 14 or so and the girls all in their senior year - and I'm not seeing that in the character designs.
Are we talking about a 51 episode series here? ^^;

Quote:
Ah well, the next volume from Del Rey is due out in mere instants of time ... that'll keep me diverted.
Indeed, it might be a lil' off-topic here - but its about time i started my search of finding Japanese volume 15 with the prelude DVD~
Old 2006-08-14, 21:34   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
Are we talking about a 51 episode series here? ^^;

Indeed, it might be a lil' off-topic here - but its about time i started my search of finding Japanese volume 15 with the prelude DVD~
I took rooboy's post to be discussing a "skip ahead" series... kind of like Nanoha StrikerS appears to be. Jump a few years up the timeline and lets see what Negi and his team of beauteous witches are up to now....
Old 2006-08-14, 21:39   Link #36
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah, i know - i was just joking around.

What they'd be upto? Fighting crime - while digging even more into the mystery that is.. the Thousand Master! Gah.. sounds like a cheesy 70's TV drama. ;_;
Old 2006-08-15, 09:10   Link #37
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
Yeah, i know - i was just joking around.

What they'd be upto? Fighting crime - while digging even more into the mystery that is.. the Thousand Master! Gah.. sounds like a cheesy 70's TV drama. ;_;
Well, discarding the fighting crime part, isn't that what the plot is now?

I hope so, otherwise someone's been removing the inside bits of my manga stories and putting Negima covers on it .... and also altering my Weekly Shonen Magazine's.

I imagine they'll keep the character relationships somewhat the same. If you change the plot and the characters, why bother to pay Akamatsu to call it Negima? Just make it something new. I'm expecting something more like an adventure show (based on the timeslot) which'll be great. My child actually loves the original Negima series (so does my wife, strangely). I've struck out repeatedly at trying to get them to try the manga, so since the first season had the ecchi, harem bits covered, if this season gets the adventure bits covered - hopefully I can use that as leverage.
Old 2006-08-15, 09:13   Link #38
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah, thats mainly what the plot of the Negima manga is - finding out a lot more of the Thousand Master.. though its hard to say if the new series is going to take the same path.
Old 2006-08-15, 13:01   Link #39
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
I'm *suspecting* (no data to support yet) that they're just going to tell a streamlined version of the manga with a lot of events re-arranged for dynamic reasons coupled with new stuff they think up as they go along. When I say streamlined, I mean only the *major* event points might be maintained like:
1) Negi arrives at school, pisses off Asuna.
2) Negi meets the various students
3) Negi extended encounter with Evangeline and Chach
4) Negi library sequence
5) Negi Kyoto arc
When it comes to the events mentioned:

1 and 2. Not neccessary IMO
3. While I don't really think it's needed, it's still likely that it may be included as the first arc
4. While I definitely see that happening, I would love if the library sequence is based on a different "Library Island" plot line this time around (i.e. either
Spoiler:

5. I would love to see that in order to put in the three main things that Xebec cut from its version of the arc:
-Negi's Pactios with Nodoka, Setsuna, and Konoka;
-The character of Kotarou Inugami;
-The revelation that
Spoiler:

As for the other things you hope the new series include:

Quote:
1) the cards/Pactios
As seen in the artwork, it looks like the Pactio system will be included in the new series. However, my main concern is that I don't want SHAFT to pull off the same things that Xebec did, and by that, I mean that I hope that SHAFT:
1. Does the aforementioned thing of remembering the Pactios that Negi made during the Kyoto arc;
2. Doesn't cheapen those Pactios (and if the new series does decide to acknowlegde them,
Spoiler:
with a "mass Pactio" thing (aka while I don't mind Negi making Pactios outside of the six girls that he has made one with in the manga, I don't want another
Spoiler:

Quote:
3) the Evangeline conflict/comradery
Oh yeah, I definitely expect Evangeline to play a key role in this series.

Quote:
4) the Nodoka/Negi tension and the Setsuna/Konoka bits
Considering how all four of these characters appear prominently in the teaser poster (i.e. in front of the tilework of some of the possible cards that will be used in the new series), I'm sure that the new series will keep the Nodogi and Konosetsu moments.
Old 2006-08-15, 13:26   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Those ideas sound fine as well.... I dont really care *what* goes on in the library complex .. I would just like to see it (why the hell isnt my apostrophe working? grrr it is acting like it is an F3 key)

yeah... agree each Pactio should come with its own story or its just "happy card" day at the academy.

yes... Setsuna and her backstory secret

now off to figure out why my keyboard decided to re-assign the apostrophe key.