AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-15, 11:32   Link #21
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Sure, that seems like a great idea - one that can be used many times in the future for this kind of series.
Old 2006-11-21, 14:42   Link #22
Rheinhard
Feldmarschall

Send a message via AIM to Rheinhard
If you were someone OTHER than Light (or L)...

I was going to start a thread entitled "If You Were George W. Bush...", discussing the following ethical supposition:

Not having read the manga I don't know how all this comes out and whether Kira is stopped or not, but supposing he isn't, and the investigations fail and he's still out whacking people he doesn't like...consider the following:

Certainly Kira won't stick to whacking petty violent criminals. In order to truly remake the world in his image, he's eventually going to have to get around to whacking major international leaders. In our current world this would likely include major terrorist leaders like Osama bin Laden, but could also very well include leaders like the President of the US (if you feel that the world's only superpower were abusing its might to push other nations around) or officers of major transnational corporations (arms manufacturers or monopolistic conglomerates).

If you were, say, president of the USA, and had sworn an oath to protect the population and the government of the USA from all threats foreign and domestic, and you knew there was some mysterious power out there kacking your cabinet members or American citizens of note, and you also knew (thanks to L) that the source of the threat, whatever its exact nature, was localized to the central Kanto region of Japan; and you knew that covert law enforcement ops to ferret out the danger had failed: would you be justified in launching a pre-emptive nuclear strike to turn the entire Kanto plain into radioactive glass?

(Tactically this would have to be a submarine-launched strike, since the target is so close to the sea you could minimize the time between launch and impact -- needed to prevent Kira from getting a warning of his impending doom and quickly bumping off as many people in retaliation as possible. An ICBM strike could give Kira a full 30 minutes to scribble names of half of Congress in the Death Note.)

Before answering, consider: many people in these threads have argued that Kira isn't an altogether bad guy because he's whacking evil people, and preventing threats from worsening. Wouldn't you, as president, be doing fundamentally the same thing in preventing Kira from threatening the government and peoples of the USA? And considering you'd be removing threats to their nations as well, most other countries (other than Japan, naturally) would probably reluctantly support you.

And if you are horrified by this concept, why is what Kira is doing different/morally superior?

Moderators: As was suggested, this might in a sense go under the Morality thread, but as was mentioned, would probably rapidly become lost after a while. Also since it's a construct outside the Death note storyline, it's not entirely clear that it would belong there at all anyway...
Old 2006-11-21, 19:37   Link #23
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I'm not that convinced such a topic is desirable actually, or at least in a separate thread. What's wrong with it being part of the Morals thread? If it gets swamped then that implies that there isn't much interest in that topic.
Old 2006-11-30, 10:54   Link #24
Lambda

How about a thread asking what you might do with a death note other than what Light is doing? I'm interested in the notion of not using it to impose the death penalty on the criminal justice system, but using it to get to those places which normal justice just doesn't reach...
Old 2006-12-05, 04:45   Link #25
dragem
amine in the air

i whould like to see a thread obout the real live movies of death note
Old 2006-12-06, 01:50   Link #26
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragem View Post
i whould like to see a thread obout the real live movies of death note
No need. The thread already exists:

Death Note (Live-Action Movie) discussion

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-12-15, 09:32   Link #27
CherryMartini

Could it possibly be a thread, asking If you guys are rooting for L or Light, and the reasons also.
Thanks ~

Last edited by CherryMartini; 2006-12-15 at 09:34. Reason: changing a word
Old 2007-01-11, 07:04   Link #28
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Requesting a discussion thread for Viz's license, localization and online distrubution of Death Note. Also requesting that the generic Death Note thread be moved back into this forum, since it makes more sense that way.
Old 2007-01-11, 10:52   Link #29
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Requesting a discussion thread for Viz's license, localization and online distrubution of Death Note. Also requesting that the generic Death Note thread be moved back into this forum, since it makes more sense that way.
Done & Done. I think moving the thread was a slight slip of the mind of the moderator who did moved the thread. Typically once a series has it's own forum it doesn't matter if it's licensed or not and all threads will remain in the forum.
Old 2007-01-16, 18:42   Link #30
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I humbly request or at least to be put into consensus the creation of a poll thread to discuss thoughts and opinions about a possible Hollywood adaptation to DEATH NOTE into an American film, as long as said request has not been recommended yet by anybody else.

DEATH NOTE fans can vote and discuss if they agree or if they are against in that thread.

I mean just look at all the gist that American adaptations from Asian horror films have garnered in the States like, for example, Ju-on and Ringu.

Why not DEATH NOTE?
Old 2007-01-16, 19:22   Link #31
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Episode 14 has aired. Did the episode-thread get swallowed by forum gremlins, perhaps?

@Guido: Actually, I think a stronger basis for that type of thread is the fact that there's been a lot of rumors and what have you about Hollywood studios having an interest in Death Note. It's definitely a more worthwhile question than just "Why not Death Note?" IMO. Good topic idea.
Old 2007-01-18, 18:41   Link #32
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I was wondering if we could get a favourite character thread? Around about this time in the story, there are a good number of characters - of course making another thread at the end of the series would be a good idea. As for a character list:

Yagami Light
L
Amane Misa
Ryuk
Rem
Penber Raye
Misora Naomi
Yagami Soichiro
Matsuda Tota
Watari
Yagami Sayu

I've just listed the characters i believe to be the main part of the show, hope this is alright.
Old 2007-01-19, 05:59   Link #33
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Sounds like a good idea. I'll leave it up to monir to create the thread / poll (which should be multiple choice and public)

You've listed 11 characters so far, does anyone else want to put forward any more major characters? We could include a few more if need be.
Old 2007-01-19, 06:21   Link #34
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
You've listed 11 characters so far, does anyone else want to put forward any more major characters? We could include a few more if need be.
Probably the major character so far are already there, though there's a character that I'd love to add, despite the low screen-time, and that would be Jealous.
Old 2007-01-20, 02:35   Link #35
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The poll is now up, and yes, Jealous is there too!

edit: Ran into a minor difficulty for which the poll had to be closed. Anyway, it's up now and this time for real!

Last edited by monir; 2007-01-20 at 12:27.
Old 2007-01-24, 02:03   Link #36
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

What about a "Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion" thread? There are some impressive perfomance from the seiyuus here

If the thread is accepted, I'll prepare a cast list for the main characters later when I'll return home.
Old 2007-01-24, 02:20   Link #37
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Sounds good Pellissier! Post those infos' here in a separate post once you are ready, and I'll create the thread.
Old 2007-03-30, 05:21   Link #38
SinsI

How about "Death Note - "How to use" rules discussion?"
Most of the Q&A is taken over by such questions, and the discussion is always cut short as Q&A is too restricting for that.

Or make it "Supernatural - death gods and Death Note rules", to cover the whole netherworld influence and its aspects part.
Old 2007-04-03, 14:45   Link #39
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Sounds good. If you have an opening post in mind then post it here, and I'll create the thread.
Old 2007-04-03, 17:45   Link #40
SinsI

Out of this world influence is a very important aspect of the Death Note universe.
Shinigami, their Death Notes, and several other supernatural aspects are major factors in this story. We don't know much about of them, and most of the information we have comes either from the Shinigami themselves (and they can lie) or from the so-called "How to use" rules for Death Note.
Of course, the latter are far from actually being just "How to use", especially with rules such as XXXVI
Spoiler:

Rather, these are an attempt to answer some of the readers questions.
A list of them can be found here http://pwtwtwq.hp.infoseek.co.jp/dea...eath-note4.htm (I don't know how complete it is)
There are two sets of them - one being in Japanese, the other in English.
How different are they?
What exactly do those rules mean, what would happen if ...? Why are some of them so controversial and illogical? Are all of them true? What made the author create such rules?
Please discuss these and other questions regarding anything supernatural in the Death Note here.
Closed Thread