AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-08-21, 13:16   Link #6161
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Well yahoo people are pretty ignorant when it comes to UX. Still stuck in the 90' mindset of "it works for me" I'm afraid.

The phone number deal is merely so they can use your phone as a make shift authenticator for your account. Most companies don't have any interest in the whole multiple account deal; in recent years it's also not uncommon to have a "delete account" option. The only ones who have some problem with multiple accounts are companies who have actual problems in the context of their business if you have more then one (social networks for example) and of course the blissfully tech-illitarate smart asses. Well you know how it goes "Oh look they got a upper limit on password length and characters. We need to have that too!!"
Old 2012-08-23, 00:30   Link #6162
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Question:

Like every of us netizens, i have several emails, each one is for different purposes. But recently i was requested to give phone number for "some" of my yahoo mail account if i want to log in. And honestly, like heck i'm gonna let my clone email having any of my real personal information. Basically have to give up on them

So what happened recently that yahoo decided to step up this kind of measure? Or was it simply because my email was hacked hence they have to find a way to reset pw and stuffs?
That's odd. Which country are these other Yahoo email addresses based from (i.e. were they created on the Australian version of the Yahoo website)? I definitely don't recall anything about it being compulsory to have a phone number tied to a Yahoo account, nor prohibitions on having more than one account (aside from the "keep your information truthful and up-to-date or we may suspend or terminate your account" clause). If these accounts were indeed hacked into, that's probably the reason why.

Attaching a phone number to an online account, particularly one with personal information, is a very good idea- making it easier for you to reset/recover passwords and the ability to use your phone as an account authenticator (as felix points out). Facebook, PayPal, Google and other companies offer two-factor authentication, a handy way of making your accounts more secure (Yahoo apparently also offers this option, but it's in beta).

Now, if you're looking to replace those "clone email" accounts...
Yahoo, as well as Outlook.com (Hotmail), and iCloud Mail, have the ability to create what are known as email aliases (Gmail has something similar, but not quite as powerful)- basically a secondary email account allowing you to cloak your primary email address. Email aliases can be easily managed from your primary email address. You can then set specific rules regarding these aliases, such as delivering emails from the alias email address to a specific folder, or even turn off/delete said alias email address once they are no longer needed.

Microsoft's definition:
Quote:
Create an email alias
Why create an alias? Some people like to use multiple addresses for different things. For example, you might use one address for a job search and a different one for online shopping. That way, messages sent to those addresses can be kept in a separate folder.
Old 2012-08-23, 09:15   Link #6163
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Facebook does the same thing, and apparently it's because they do not want people to have more than 1 account. Could it be that Yahoo is trying to discourage people from having multiple emails?
My phone number in Facebook is the Facebook customer service account number: 650-543-4800
Old 2012-08-23, 09:29   Link #6164
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My phone number in Facebook is the Facebook customer service account number: 650-543-4800
Reminds me that none of the emails I use, even the official one for job resumes, have my full and real name.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 11:27   Link #6165
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Gmail give you the option to skip through, while in yahoo recently, if you don't give your number, you can't even log in.

Which is really annoying
Just fake it? Doubt they actually check...
Old 2012-08-23, 12:30   Link #6166
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

In gmail at least it's a SMS verification process; as I recall.
Old 2012-08-23, 16:02   Link #6167
thapixie

Talking Need some help

Hello,

I just got a tiny bust statue model, but I know nothing a bout her.
Would somebody please help me identify her? Coz I think it's a very nice model and I want to find more of this set.

Thank you in advance.

thapixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 19:53   Link #6168
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Is there ANY purpose to injecting Nitrogen Chloride (tear gas) into your bloodstream with a needle?

I'm in my room and I'm overhearing a conversation by another tenant in this house who I know is a pothead (but only, that I know of). His gf was helping his give him a needle of that stuff NaCl3 and she was talking out-loud. Seriously, wtf? I hope they're just reading some fake label or they can't read.

At any case, he got an eviction notice a month ago and one more week until the police force him out of his room for ignoring it. That guy broke just about every tenancy rule there is.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 01:17   Link #6169
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Is there ANY purpose to injecting Nitrogen Chloride (tear gas) into your bloodstream with a needle?

I'm in my room and I'm overhearing a conversation by another tenant in this house who I know is a pothead (but only, that I know of). His gf was helping his give him a needle of that stuff NaCl3 and she was talking out-loud. Seriously, wtf? I hope they're just reading some fake label or they can't read.

At any case, he got an eviction notice a month ago and one more week until the police force him out of his room for ignoring it. That guy broke just about every tenancy rule there is.
NaCl3? Surely you mean NCl3 for Nitrogen Chloride? NaCl3 is Sodium Chloride 3 (which by the way isn't chemically possible...) I'm certain you've read this, but the the lazy. Seems like it'll cause irritation in body... http://www.lookchem.com/Nitrogen-chloride/

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 04:35   Link #6170
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

is it normal to have only 11 pair of ribs?
Old 2012-08-25, 08:34   Link #6171
HasuMasu
*Artist

Can anybody identify #19,58,59, and 60?
Old 2012-08-25, 10:43   Link #6172
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post

Can anybody identify #19,58,59, and 60?
Here you go:

I couldn't find #19 (it's a pretty low res pic and I am unfamiliar with the model) but the other 3 I know:

#58 - Nokia N92
#59 - Nokia N93
#60 - Nokia N93i

I actually lusted quite a bit after the N93i when it was originally announced. I still have a thing for flip-phones actually.
Old 2012-08-25, 14:49   Link #6173
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
is it normal to have only 11 pair of ribs?
I've heard of having additional ribs ("cervical ribs"), and I'm pretty sure we were taught that some people have only 11. The "normal" rib count is 12, so while it's unusual, it seems to be a normal variation. As far as I know it isn't associated with any diseases or other disorders. Of course, if you're experiencing pain, discomfort, or other problems, bring them to the attention of your physician.
Old 2012-08-26, 00:00   Link #6174
HasuMasu
*Artist

Thanks, Dextro.
Old 2012-08-26, 00:28   Link #6175
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Question : Do people go to the beach in winter? What is the reason for them to do so?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 00:42   Link #6176
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Question : Do people go to the beach in winter? What is the reason for them to do so?
I've gone in the late-fall/early winter(in late november) or late winter(feb-march), numerous times, if that counts.

I'd say the main reasons would be to:
1. Avoid the awful summer heat, in areas like Florida the fall-winter weather is generally mild, and rarely actually that cold, so it's comfortable weather for the beach.
2. Avoid the massive amount of spring and summer tourist.
3. Avoid the highly unpredictable summer rains, the weather is also much more predictable and less stormy in general, so much lower chance of being rained out.
4. Avoid sunburn that comes with the spring-summer heat, sunburn hurts enough said and you can easily get it in some places even with sunscreen during the summer here D:.

The beaches more cold areas of the world probably aren't so enjoyable at that time of year comparatively .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 00:45   Link #6177
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Question : Do people go to the beach in winter?
Definitely a yes! Not that I do (No winter in the Philippines) but I often see people do so on TV. I note British do...

Quote:
What is the reason for them to do so?
I got three reasons in mind (based on what I watched)

1. They feel like...(doing the unsual) for fun to be specific.
2. Contest or gathering that is... like some game...
3. Health benefits... swimming in cold water burns twice the calories than the usual swimming since your body burns calories for heat and energy at the same time...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 01:32   Link #6178
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
yes.
1) kite-flying.
2) storm-watching (actually a hobby in the Pacific NW of US/Canada)
3) tidepooling (looking for critters in the rocks at low tide, rather like bird watching)
4) sandcastles, frisbee, volleyball, etc
5) whale watching (seasonal)
6) surfing (bodysuits in use year round anyway)
Old 2012-08-26, 01:41   Link #6179
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Well it depends on winter as in the season with snow and ice and Santa or just the Gregorian calendar time period from mid-December to mid-March. In the seasonal winter, test of manhood, or if winter is considered November as well, I'd assume the water temperature to be higher than the atmospheric temperature. My science here is a wee bit shaky. In the calendar winter, if within the tropic belt, I don't see why not... It's seems like the beach in the winter is not so different from the beach in the summer, though I don't think they really follow a "winter", "spring", "summer", and "fall", just wet and dry.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 05:31   Link #6180
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Question: Would Barter Trade be better than Cash?. Well... this due to the economy of today.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious