AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-04, 18:08   Link #41
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Light's Keikaku Doori + Lelouch's laugh

Somehow, this became the show that I was really looking forward to this season and the first episode didn't disappoint.

I don't know how to describe it, but it's definitely "key"-ish.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 19:10   Link #42
Amiluhur
Gondok

Man, that was totally fun. I mean, this is the kind of superhero fiction that i really like, that can portray the protagonist as close to reality as possible. I mean, if i were to have a superpower, i'd definitely not using it to save or conquer the world, but to do some petty tricks by gaining advantage over others. I like his personality already. And the scene when the invisible girl and teleporter dude ganging up on him was hilarious i can't stop my tears.
Amiluhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 19:51   Link #43
Yamada II

The best kind of protagonists are the arrogant bastard ones, just like Otosaka Yuu here. His evil plans work without fail. Lol when he possesses the person he hates just to get him into a fight. All is going well until Tomori shows up. We finally get to know what the camera is for. Just by looking at her character design, I never thought that she would have this kind of a condescending type of character, a total show off. Rather unexpected.

Let's hope Maeda lives up to his words and this ends up being better than Angel Beats!.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 20:00   Link #44
dark998

Damn, this was much better than expected. Maeda and PA Works seal of quality all over it. Given the nature of the show the PVs themselves were not able to transmit a lot of hype but the actual episode delivered.

The special abilities are also interesting because they are not perfect like Yu mentioned (posession has timelimit, Tomori's works on a single target, teleport doesn't has a brake/fullstop).
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 20:02   Link #45
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

So yeah, everything has been laid out. We have Yuu, who has some kind of family background, Ayumi, the ever-loving little sister, Nao, the watchdog, and Jojiro, the guardian.

There are a lot of things to ponder about. There's the thing about those abilities that go away after going past adolescence, the mysterious third sibling in the Otosaka family, and the entire existence of Hoshinoumi Academy.

Jojiro's my favorite now. Reminds me of Takamatsu from Angel Beats.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 20:22   Link #46
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

Well ... at the moment I still do not have a clear read on the series. The first episode was pretty good, but only like a 7/10 for me.

Then again, we were warned that the first half of the series would be slow moving, so I guess I should not be surprised. I will definitely be giving it a few more eps though to try and get a clearer picture!
Old 2015-07-04, 21:33   Link #47
Somnus
Eh?

As someone who went in without much expectation, I like it. I like it a lot.

All the characters are hilariously awesome, with glasses guy being my favourite and little sister in a close second. Loving the hook of the series as well. Going to be sticking this one out for sure.
Old 2015-07-04, 22:56   Link #48
FateAnomaly

The MC is such a bastard. If his staged accident failed, he could have killed that girl and/or that driver. All just so he had a pretext to date her.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 23:20   Link #49
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Episode 1

Yu's abuse of his powers gets uncomfortable with that accident stunt, but thankfully he's brought back to Earth both outside and inside his home. I think we can already anticipate he's going to really learn a lesson in thinking about others (given what the episode title is), now the question is how smoothly can PAW make this work.

I'll probably dive into this more tomorrow.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 23:43   Link #50
ices
Working Hard

Interesting first episode.
I guess their power is a manifestation of their flaw/shortcoming. And they lost their power after going past adolescence is a sign that they've overcome those flaw.
Anyway, will follow this one.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 00:20   Link #51
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I'm going to disagree with the prevailing opinion here: I didn't care for the first episode very much :/

I went into this show with pretty high expectations, but, to be honest, I was disappointed. I'm not going to be too harsh on it because it's just the first episode, but I will say that the "humor" fell flat, the music was boring, and the characters were unlikable. Even the animation was average at best! The backgrounds were pretty but certainly not drool-worthy (which is remarkable for a P.A. Works show).

All in all, this feels like yet another "kids with superpowers" show at the moment. Yes, there might be a hint of something darker, but at the moment I feel like I'm standing in a shallow puddle rather than the deep pond that I expected.

I'll give this show two more episodes. We'll see what happens.
Old 2015-07-05, 00:47   Link #52
Peanutbutter

No wonder I felt MC familiar. It's Kanie Seiya again, this time with a Light Yagami mind and a Lelouch grin.

EDIT: Hoshinoumi? Star Ocean? Sure the name isn't copyrighted or something?
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 00:55   Link #53
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
What is this? A PA Works show where a male character isn't complete fail?

Oh its a Key show. Ok, that means the price is that it trades that for subpar female characters (something PA Works is usually good at, whilst Key is terrible at), which that imouto is the definition of. Oneeeeeeeeeeee-chan ~. Yeh nah. Please go catch Keyaids and disappear or something. Oh wait...

Having low expectations helped, because I actually liked this more than I thought I would. It was mostly laughing at how much of an asshole the MC was though and how he was using his powers for selfish trolling purposes. I particularly lold when he used his powers to make a truck almost collide with his crush only to have her later reject him. Suck sh*t lol. At least that truck didn't run over someone in the first episode. God how much I hate that trope.

Anyways, it's better than your typical Jun Maeda comedy antics because I actually laughed or chuckled a few times rather than constantly roll my eyes. He's learning guys!

Tl;dr: Could be worse. Moderately entertained.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 01:12   Link #54
Alf

Although the title of this episode is thinking of others, what is actually done by Otosaka is more like thinking of not to be oneself. It's interesting that all these come back to negate himself and move on to the next stage within the first episode. Revealing his family condition and warmer side to his sister only after he got his butt kicked is also a good point, but then we see the signature curse of Maeda to the characters.

Overall good episode, though the vibe of typical Key characters may not be for everyone today that it is not aiming for realism. The special power being a sign of the character's flaw is pretty much sure, and with the incomplete powers eventually fading away I think we can expect the kind of character development common to Key works.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 01:28   Link #55
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I guess we can start speculating about the basis of their powers based on the "flaw overcompensation theory".

Yuu manifests a power to "become another person" for five seconds, which suggests that he hates his circumstances in life so much that he wants to let go of his own self, even for a few moments. "I think (I am someone else) therefore (I am someone else)", so to speak.

Nao probably takes an interest to looking into the life of another person, but also wants to be recognized for doing so. The handycam easily symbolizes that.

Not sure about Jojiro, though. It can be as shallow as "I want to go anywhere I want", but it can go deeper with things like "wanting to run away to anywhere". The latter could explain why his "teleportation" manifests as his being dragged into his destination at high speeds instead of disappearing at Point A and reappearing at Point B.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 01:51   Link #56
The One Above God
Kamijou

Wow, the MC is an utter scum....an entertaining scum nonetheless. Anyway, I'll look forward to the next ep.

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 02:09   Link #57
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

For me it's not the little sister herself that humanize him, but the relative poorness of his circumstances. It's no excuse, but it makes his "hunger" understandable.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 02:56   Link #58
cyth
Banned

Indeed, it was better than expected. Going into it I thought "oh cool, a magic show, oh wait, an Angel Beats clone." Not sure if it's magic or esper abilities at this point, but the show seems to play heavily on the chuunibyou trope, even parodying it to some extent when it was explained these super powers go away after a while.

Then again it begs the question whether parodying a washed up genre is really staying away from it. It seems like that's just a convenient excuse for creators to go for the same old, same old.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 05:14   Link #59
Salva
Princess since baptism.

Oh my. I decided not to read anything about coming series and just try out everything and boy, was that a good idea.

I really liked first ep. I instantly got Lulu/Kira vibes and I loved it. It makes a lot of sense for him to use the truck indicent too. Teenagers tend to just ride whatever waves and a lot of times don't realise the consequences of their actions might be freakin dangerous. What actually bothered me was how he wanted the relationship with the girl. It would be so ugly, who would want a relationship based on such a dangerous, reckless actions, not to mention lies.

What I didn't like though were the guys from the different school. Maybe I missed something, but why couldn't he refuse the transfer? Because he was busted in the previous school and couldn't prove he was good enough? I also wonder why he didn't switch with that guy chasing him (I hope he will be frequently present, when he changed into maid I fell in love, also glasses) or the girl later on? Why was he so meek later? I also didn't like the sister, he seemed a bit like Ayu from Kanon although much more annoying. I also don't really get it why they have no solidarity. If I saw my brother really didn't like someone coming into my house I wouldn't just cheerfully invite them in…
Old 2015-07-05, 05:19   Link #60
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Pretty decent first episode. Man, Yumi told Yu off so good. Soooooooo good. He definitely needed that reality check.
Agreed, cheating and deceiving your way through life never ends well, better he get kicked out of that mindset now, and not have his life fall apart 10 years down the line.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p.a. works, supernatural powers