Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-08, 17:35   Link #201
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Send a message via AIM to Carpe Jugulum Send a message via MSN to Carpe Jugulum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai
google is your friend! but i go here when i need to translate stuff http://babelfish.altavista.com/

thanks i did try google but it kept trying to sell me stuff il cheak out that site tho

thanks
Carpe Jugulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 17:41   Link #202
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Send a message via AIM to Carpe Jugulum Send a message via MSN to Carpe Jugulum
haha you got to read this i typed in .. those who sweat more in practice bleed less in battle...... but it didnt come up with exactly what i wanted.

so i switched the words round a bit to see if it would come up with anythign better i typed .....bleed less in battle sweat more in practice but that translated to

出血在爭鬥實踐上冒汗了 - whihch roughly translated to ... The hemorrhage practiced at the battle on sweats
hahahah
Carpe Jugulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 04:38   Link #203
RichMan
????

help me with some japanese, plz

Alright, i'm making another website, and I want to call it "RichMan Universe"

Can someone translate that into japanese for me? Because I want to make a cool header that says it in english and japanese.

I tried using Altavista's Babel Fish to translate it and this is how it went:

I typed in "Rich Man Universe" (notice the space between Rich and Man because it won't translate it together), and set it on English to Japanese. After it finished translating this showed up...

豊富な人の宇宙

To make sure it said "Rich Man Universe" I selected Japanese to English to see if it worked right. So I copy/paste'd the japanese text and it translated to this...

Outer space of abundant person

WTF?? Outer space of abundant person..No! I want it to say RichMan Universe.

Could someone help me out? and while your at it, could you type the japanese text for "Hell yeah!"
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 05:00   Link #204
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

The correct grammatical usage for what you describe should be "Richman's Universe" isn't it?

You would be advised to use Katakana for your name (because non-Japanese have their names expressed in Katakana) and leave 宇宙 as is. Outer space is just one of the meanings for 宇宙. It can also mean the Universe.

So what you are looking for should be

リッチメンの宇宙
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 05:14   Link #205
RichMan
????

Nah, it isn't "RichMan's Universe." I want it to say "RichMan Universe." I got the idea off of the anime "Tenchi Universe." It really doesn't mean much, I just think "RichMan Universe" sounds cool.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 05:33   Link #206
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
Nah, it isn't "RichMan's Universe." I want it to say "RichMan Universe." I got the idea off of the anime "Tenchi Universe." It really doesn't mean much, I just think "RichMan Universe" sounds cool.
Well, then just take off the : it's what show the fact that it's a possession.
So would be like : リッチメン宇宙
Old 2004-06-15, 07:09   Link #207
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Well, then just take off the : it's what show the fact that it's a possession.
So would be like : リッチメン宇宙
isn't just for possession, though; it can also be used to expand on the noun being modified. In this case, it would be explaining the purpose behind "宇宙", no?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 07:55   Link #208
Thany
Unfair

So you mean it does also mean what he wanted to mean?
Then I guess it's all good
Old 2004-06-15, 08:34   Link #209
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
So you mean it does also mean what he wanted to mean?
Then I guess it's all good
Fairly sure. The particle is supposed to combine two nouns into one with the possessive seems to be the most well known.

RichMan's Universe
Universe about RichMan
Universe [created] by RichMan

and so on.

/me likes the dictionary on Japanese grammar.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 09:26   Link #210
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
I typed in "Rich Man Universe" (notice the space between Rich and Man because it won't translate it together), and set it on English to Japanese. After it finished translating this showed up...

豊富な人の宇宙

To make sure it said "Rich Man Universe" I selected Japanese to English to see if it worked right. So I copy/paste'd the japanese text and it translated to this...

Outer space of abundant person

WTF?? Outer space of abundant person..No! I want it to say RichMan Universe.

Could someone help me out? and while your at it, could you type the japanese text for "Hell yeah!"
LMAO "rich man" could be interpreted as "wealthy man" -> "abundant person"

I would actually leave the の in there, personally...
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 19:23   Link #211
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

YAY!!! Someone found my old thread! Search hates me so I couldn't find it before.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 08:28   Link #212
Sakai
libro de mi padre

RichMan (sing.)
リッチメン (pl.)

I heard Japanese nouns have no plural forms.

Quote:
Alright, i'm making another website, and I want to call it "RichMan Universe"
I think リッチマン☆ユニバース looks cool.

Quote:
could you type the japanese text for "Hell yeah!"
ヤッタ~!
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 23:13   Link #213
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
meanings of the suffixes and prefixes.

Maybe this has been done but this is what I know so far and what I'd like to know

sama- highest respect

san- middle, used as politness to strangers/when theres nothing else to use

kun- lower sometimes with peers

chan- family/close friends and lovers.

ok what's

oni? is that brother? or big? oni-chan i believe is big brother. so maybe oni is brother?

and what other suffixes and prefixes did I miss.

*as a side note, i'd like to ask in the japanese language are prefixes and suffixed used eveyrhting you speak a persons name?? that would take some getting used to to me.

well thx, and if this thread has been made already or is in the wrong spot, you can just throw me the link to where the other is and i'll just read that
NarutoHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 23:38   Link #214
ZhanDVG
Hail to the Sky~

Hokay, well... big brother is actually oniisan or niisan... or I guess onii. Or even just nii ( 兄 ) maybe... ;p Whatever, the point is, with two i's, it's big brother, with one i (oni), it means ghost or devil or demon... ( 鬼 )

And, umm... you've got the other stuff down pretty basic, if anyone else wants to tackle fleshing out all the different meanings and uses of those go ahead, I'm kinda in a rush ;x
ZhanDVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 23:39   Link #215
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Oni is a demon.
O-nii-chan is big brother. It can also be nii-chan, nii-san, o-nii-san, or aniki. You have to be careful with those pesky long vowels (eg. ii vs i). A Japanese native speaker can pick them up almost every time.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 23:44   Link #216
wao
OK.

There probably is anotehr thread about it somewhere but I can't seem to find it either :P Not very good at using th search engine, I am...

But anyway, it's onii-san just for the record, not oni-san Oni means demon. I'd love to call my brother oni-san sometimes...
Elder brothers may also be referred to as "Ani", "Aniki" or "Ani-ue".

Younger brothers can be "Otouto". (Also only when talking about them...)

Onee-chan (pronounced like o-nay, instead of onii which is like o-knee) is elder sister. Nee-chan is also used (but can also refer to any ol lady on the street who is youngish...)
Elder sisters may also be referred to as "Ane", "Aneki", or "Ane-ue".
Younger sisters are usually "Imouto" (Only when talking about them, not to them...),

(For both, -san and -chan are kind of interchangeable. I think.)

-sensei is used for teachers...

I'm not sure about -chin, which is what that annoying Kippei (-oni-chan!) uses when referring to Kokoro sometimes in the anime Aishiteruze Baby.

-tachi is used to refer to a group. For example you want to refer to the Monsters in Melody of Oblivion, you say "monster-tachi". It varies with the context.

-senpai is for people who are seniors to you (in school, that is...). Or if you are in the same line of work as them and they are senior (but not very much senior) or better than you. E.g. Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu (which is an excellent anime), Asio calls Bel "Sempai" even though they're not in school, they're servants for the large mansion.
It's respectful to add -senpai. You don't call your juniors anything special though...

Anata is a word that means "You" but when in the context of lovers, it is something like "Darling"...
Old 2004-06-26, 23:53   Link #217
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Actually, "Ani" is "Older Brother." "Otouto" for "Younger Brother." Unlike in English-based cultures, "Older Brother" and "Younger Brother" have distintive words for each in most Asian cultures.

Now for my personal speculation on the usage "Onii-chan": It seems to be just a abbreviated/concantenated(sic) form of O-ani-chan, where the "O" is also a level of respect or a recognition of importance. You hear all the time "O-bento(lunchbox)," "O-furo(bath)," or "O-Kyaku-sama(Valued Guest/Customer)." Those are just of fraction of "O" as a prefix.

Adding to wao's "sensei"--"sensei" can be used to to speak to all kinds of people whom you recognize as having more knowledge than you do, and that . For instance, Medical doctors, lawyers to a movie directors, anime & manga artists.

"-chin" is just a very "endearing" suffix. Watch Godannar^^

Also, it seems rude if you were to speak to a "sensei" or "senpai" level person and use "Kimi," "Anata," or god-forbid, "Omae." (various forms of "you") You just refer to them as "senpai/sensei," or use it as a suffix like "Katakura-senpai."

Last edited by Melazoma; 2004-06-27 at 00:08.
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 23:56   Link #218
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

from what little I know

-sensei can be teacher, doctor, or calling any profession with a respect.

-chan basically means "little" I think, you call someone -chan if you think they are adorable.

-sama mostly means "master", "superior", somewhat similar to -dono (but -dono sounds archaic now I guess)
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 23:58   Link #219
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

my honorific knowledge is still pretty low, but I know a bit..

-sensei is typically added to a person of professional stature; doctor's, teachers, trainers, etc

-san/-chan/-kun/-sama are all honorifics used to display towards another person...
-san typically is the standard in honorifics
-chan is typically a more affectionate title given to children and people with a close relationship, mainly it's to show a cute-like affection
-kun is typically attached to a male person's name, for example KGNE, "Takayuki-kun"

Then you get ones like -sama, -no, -ko. -sama is usually a very high-honor given, something like "lady" or "lord" or similar. -no is found between a highly bonded relationship, or at least that was what I am told. -ko generally is an affectionate suffix to a girl, a pet-name if you will.

onii is older brother, and onee is typically sister. I've seen several different spellings of onee and I cannot be too sure of the correct one. Anyone care to tell me?

Of course I'm tired so this may be all incorrect...but hey I'm going on what little I know
Old 2004-06-27, 00:12   Link #220
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
-kun is pretty much unisex in that it can be used (at the very least) in professional settings for a superior to address a lower level worker, be said worker male or female.
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote