AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-06, 15:50   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

SOTM 2010 - July (Flight) - Entry Thread

!!!Welcome to the SOTM!!!

~Congratulations to AtomicoX for winning the June Contest!~

The theme chosen for July is - Flight!.
What is that? See here for details.

About the SOTM:
The Signature Of The Month contest is open to all members of the Animesuki Forums. The goal of the contest is to provide a fun and competitive way of showing off and improving the signatures and personal skills of contestants. The winner of each months contest is given the privilege of choosing the theme for the next month.

The contest begins on the first of each month and consists of roughly two weeks of entry creation/submission, one week of voting, and one week off. The entry and voting periods may be extended or shortened slightly as needed.

About the SOTM Theme:
Each month prospective contestants are given a theme to base their entries on. This theme is decided by the winner of the previous contest. The theme can be anything, as long as it does not break forum rules regarding inappropriate material. At the end of the month, voters choose which entries they liked best out of all submitted entries and a new winner is decided. Themes cannot be used twice in a row.

The Rules of the SOTM:

1. Contestants are allowed to create, work on, and submit their entry from the start of the contest until two weeks from the start date. This period of time is specified by the organizer every month. Once the entry period expires, all submitted entries are gathered up and sent to the Voting Thread.

2. Contestants must submit original works. This means you cannot simply cut a picture out, slap your name on it, and call it your own. Claiming someone else's work as your own is also not allowed. Anyone caught doing this will have their entries removed from the contest.

To further expand on this rule:
2A. Unless proven otherwise, all entries made by contestants are derivatives of works made by someone else. Thus, no claim of "ownership" shall be made in reference to the image(s) used in the signature entry.

2B. Misrepresenting someone else's signature work for your own is prohibited and will result in an immediate expulsion of the entry and disqualify the contestant from the current month's contest.

2C. In the spirit of originality, "crop" sigs are frowned upon, but not discouraged; however, the contest organizer can call upon all contestants to show the source of their entry(ies) at any time.

2D. Also in the spirit of originality, new signatures are encouraged. However, if you feel one of your older signatures is perfect for the theme and wish to enter it, you may. Just remember that the signature still has to follow the rules stated above.
3. Contestants are allowed to create as many entries as they wish, but are only allowed to enter one. To submit an entry officially, the contestant must mark the post in the Offical Entry Thread containing that entry with the words "Final Entry", or they can submit the signature to the contest organizer using the private message function.

4. Contestants who wish to keep their entries private until after the submission period can private message the contest organizer with their entry. The entry will not be displayed until submissions are closed, unless the contestant displays that entry publicly.

5. Entries must comply with Animesuki rules regarding signature size. This means each entry can be no larger than 500 x 160, and must be less than 50,000 bytes. They must also comply with forum decency rules. If you think your entry will be offensive or reported to the moderators, don't post it, even as a joke.

About the SOTM Entry Process:

Every month, a new entry thread is created. Each month's entry thread is a central spot meant to give contestants a chance to create and improve their entries as well as their skills, in addition to providing them a place to post their official submissions.
The thread is solely about helping contestants with entries, and as such these things will not be tolerated:
1. Nonconstructive and negative criticism (if you truly dislike something about an entry, be polite and helpful)

2. Comments, questions, or complaints about General SOTM affairs

3. Flaming, trolling, and other uncivil behavior that breaks Forum Rules
Anyone disrupting the thread will be asked to take it privately, to the SOTM Generic Discussion Thread, or if the offense is severe enough - reported to the moderators.

This Month's Entry Period::

This months entry period officially starts Wednesday, July 6th, 2010 and lasts until Friday, July 23rd, 2010. Entries will be gathered and put up for voting on Sunday, July 25th, 2010. Voting will end on the following Sunday.

The due date ends at 11:59 (midnight basically) UTC/GMT. The polling will be up one day later after 11:59 (again, midnight). I will try to be as lenient as I can with last minute submissions but only slightly.

It is up to you as a contestant to know what your time zone is in relation to UTC/GMT. I cannot do this for you.

Here is a site that can help you figure that out: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_UTC.aspx

Good luck to all contestants, and most importantly, have fun!!!

Last edited by Solace; 2010-07-10 at 14:24. Reason: TIME TRAVEL!
Old 2010-07-06, 18:40   Link #2
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

My first try for this theme:

C&C are always welcome.
Old 2010-07-06, 20:57   Link #3
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
My first try for this theme:

C&C are always welcome.
Dunno if the grayscale overall would work, a blue in the background would help to catch more the "flying" feeling.
Old 2010-07-06, 21:09   Link #4
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

The theme is harder than I thought it can be, it really give me some headache just to make the sig looks flying.

It seems I also agreeing on what have E.Rick said, though the theme is not considered as "sky" the bg will also help in portraying the picture as it is flying.

My 1st try on this theme. Need some reaction and criticism here

Shiro
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Last edited by Patchy; 2010-07-06 at 21:44. Reason: I think it isn't ready yet
Old 2010-07-06, 22:11   Link #5
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
My 1st try on this theme. Need some reaction and criticism here

Due to the character's angle and the green bg, looks more like if she were laying on the grass instead of flying. :/
Old 2010-07-06, 22:54   Link #6
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Due to the character's angle and the green bg, looks more like if she were laying on the grass instead of flying. :/
lol....

the grass is at the bottom of her head if you will stare at her closely, so I think laying on the grass (right part) upside down is kinda difficult don't you think. ? left part is a far mountain landscape (just a background from the picture itself) so I think laying from that is also impossible. Though it also depend on the viewer's eye/perspective

Honestly that's just a pre-version I knew this theme will get me a good headache. I'll try more if I can do something about it.
Shiro
Currently Doing:

Old 2010-07-06, 23:47   Link #7
Ichigo-Sora
*Graphic Designer

My attempt:

Though I'm not entirely sure if this fits the theme
Old 2010-07-07, 00:13   Link #8
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
lol....

the grass is at the bottom of her head if you will stare at her closely, so I think laying on the grass (right part) upside down is kinda difficult don't you think. ? left part is a far mountain landscape (just a background from the picture itself) so I think laying from that is also impossible. Though it also depend on the viewer's eye/perspective

Honestly that's just a pre-version I knew this theme will get me a good headache. I'll try more if I can do something about it.
In that case, she looks more like "falling" instead of "flying" doesn't she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo-Sora View Post
My attempt:

Though I'm not entirely sure if this fits the theme
AX should make an aclaration here, I'm not sure if "wings" could be asepted on the "flying" concept. SInce in the sig, even tough the girls has wings, she's not exatcly flying, is she?
Old 2010-07-07, 04:19   Link #9
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Ichigo-Sora, I have the same consern than Evil Rick about the wing, especialy those wings don't look like they would make the mouvement for flying right now.
Old 2010-07-07, 06:12   Link #10
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

@sora: I'd say no. This might have been me being unclear, but when I mentioned wings I meant it should be visible that they are in use. These looks to be stationary (although the stock might prove otherwise.)

Old 2010-07-07, 12:30   Link #11
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

My first attempt.

Old 2010-07-07, 12:39   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I wonder if the majority of signatures will just be pantsu witches.
Old 2010-07-07, 12:59   Link #13
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Probably but I thought I'd get in there early for originalities sake =D

Old 2010-07-07, 13:03   Link #14
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Ichigo-Sora, I have the same consern than Evil Rick about the wing, especialy those wings don't look like they would make the mouvement for flying right now.
So do you think wings with a flying movement would work then? Not just stationary? Just trying to figure out if my idea will work, until AX makes it offical.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-07-07, 14:32   Link #15
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
My first attempt.

lol, it's a nice idea, I like it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Okay, this is my first atemo, a very simple sig, hopes the idea is clear, I asept sugestions

Old 2010-07-07, 15:46   Link #16
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Drake nice idea
Evil Rick why not make the outside side of the wings a little more definite compared to the background

My second version, C&C would be welcome.
Old 2010-07-07, 20:37   Link #17
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

[QUOTE=Evil Rick;3126023]In that case, she looks more like "falling" instead of "flying" doesn't she?

yup that is my main problem here. how to make her not look like falling, geez

Drake = nice Strike sig there.

Felix = I already thought about that since the 2nd season is coming and alas the theme for this month is also flight that's why I avoided that series since I have a hunch that most people will use that series in this theme
Shiro
Currently Doing:

Old 2010-07-08, 05:30   Link #18
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
yup that is my main problem here. how to make her not look like falling, geez
Jumping = flying?
Old 2010-07-08, 09:21   Link #19
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Tried something here, not sure if it's ok for this theme

Some comments would be nice
Old 2010-07-08, 12:04   Link #20
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Final Entry

Got lots going on this month so quickie entry for me. Pretty sure it fits the theme, its an airship from Miyazaki's vers of Howl's Moving Castle. Don't have time to change anything
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Closed Thread

Tags
signature of the month, sotm