AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 17 22.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 27.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 33.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.35%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-15, 14:44   Link #61
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

Not a bad episode. I watched a terrible subbing of it, but I could still make it out. And thumbs up to Scar's return. I always thought Ling was an idiot, so I guess it's good that he can get started.

I thought it was a little early for the new theme songs, but not bad at all.

Can't wait for next week!
Old 2009-07-15, 15:06   Link #62
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Now that the episode finally has a sub, I have seen it, and it is good. Miyano was great as Lin, using his Tamaki voice from Ouran, and Nana Mizuki was of course Nana Mizuki. Ed/Ran Fan fight was of course the visual highlight (Scar/Comanche was too cartoony, even in the manga). Mei's voice was as annoyingly kawaii as expected, but fit especially well with her comical imaginings of Ed.

OP was awesome, but as forgettable as the music was, it's nowhere near "Rewrite" territory. Animation was incredible, though. Fight choreography even moreso.

ED sucked. Sorry, but it's true. Boring visuals, bland music, bad ED. Someone stated that it sounded like something one might hear on a top-40 station. That hasn't been able to be considered a compliment in over 20 years, if it ever was... And how they could follow up the most visually memorable ED in recent memory with cheaply animated clouds and random character pans is just mind-boggling.
Old 2009-07-15, 17:28   Link #63
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Needless to say, as a non manga reader, this episode did very well to not only entertain, but hype me up for the future episodes. The OP shows some things that I can look foward, as I liked the animation, but I'm not so sure about the song. The ED was very bland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarunyon View Post
You know, I was actually inclined to give this ep a 10. I don't know about you manga readers but this is probably one of the better anime episodes I've seen recently. Good fight scenes, good development, great pacing, good humor, good expectation for next episode without a cliffhanger, etc. I'm really stoked to ACTUALLY watch FMA again and not a remake of FMA. Maybe reading the manga makes you expect way more stuff to come out of it, but I'd say this is a damn solid anime episode.

Very happy to see a couple non-manga readers in here. I wish more people who have not read the manga would post in here, especially now that we are past the events covered by the 1st series.
Old 2009-07-15, 20:47   Link #64
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Very happy to see a couple non-manga readers in here. I wish more people who have not read the manga would post in here, especially now that we are past the events covered by the 1st series.
Here's one for you. I'm glad to be in "new" material as well - this is when I can fairly start to judge the series as something more than a remake of the first one.
Old 2009-07-15, 22:01   Link #65
matthra

Haven't read the manga, but I did watch the original series and the movie. I was simply blown away by the new information presented in this episode, because I had assumed the world was largely as portrayed in the original anime. In fact I came to these boards to check and see if the studio was just making @#$% up, because anytime ninja's are randomly introduced into a series one has to wonder. Still an entertaining episode even if the fights seemed somewhat forced to someone who hasn't read the manga.
Old 2009-07-15, 22:29   Link #66
Vicious108

Wow a lot of non-manga readers posting this time around. Good to see them posting and especially enjoying the beggining of the completely new material. And it only gets better from here.
Old 2009-07-15, 22:34   Link #67
karumofin

so were finally at the point where the anime brings in new material, this is just one episode but its already so much more interesting then whatever they pulled out of their asses for the first series. a second country with its own alchemy techniques and tis own culture, im sold. I also like how winry is becoming an actual character in this series, interacting with the main characters and having a real purpose.
Old 2009-07-16, 04:18   Link #68
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Yet another non-manga reader here. I really enjoyed this episode. It gave information, advanced the plot, and had a really good fight sequence. Obviously I don't have anything to compare it against, but it doesn't seem like the episodes are being rushed. Also, it's nice that the episodes are self-contained (no cliff-hangers, just teasers), while maintaining continuity. In other words it's not like a movie that just got cut into several 20ish minute segments, and it's not just adventure of the week.
Old 2009-07-16, 11:06   Link #69
typhonsentra

Did.... did Ed actually say the asian guy had "Slit Eyes"? Wow.
Old 2009-07-16, 13:37   Link #70
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
@Typhon: You do realize that Ed, Al, and Winry are all supposed to be German/European ethnic-wise, right?

Anyway, finally watched the subs. Took them long enough*grumblegrumble*.

My thoughts:

Spoiler for ep 15:
Old 2009-07-16, 17:09   Link #71
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I found myself highly enjoying this one. Even with all the earlier bits that were left by the wayside, this episode felt quite perfect. The new OP and ED also helped, I must say - Winry in the ED was specially well animated...

Old 2009-07-16, 17:42   Link #72
Jarmel

Much much better pace and a very solid episode. I'm debating whether I should buy this in blu-ray now due to the new OP giving me multiple orgasms.
Old 2009-07-16, 19:01   Link #73
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well, I really wish they had kept in the two mine episodes, I feel that anyone who hasn't read the manga is going to be a little confused at the entrances of Yoki and May (plus May did some really awesome alchemy there, much cooler than the stero typical woman healing sort of thing).
But I'll admit that I'm insanely happy to see my envoy from the east anyway, I was so surprised that they hadn't made it into the original.
Old 2009-07-16, 19:35   Link #74
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

If it wasn't clear from my earlier question I'm also also a non-manga viewer (kinda obvious otherwise I wouldn't have asked it )
Otherwise I find it strange that they are supposed to be in war against three different countries (all of them bigger territory-wise), yet the first series or Brohood so far didn't even slightly mention that fact IIRC.
The new characters seems cool, but I barely know anything about them so I think I'm not going to start predicting future twists yet, while we don't know much about the bigger picture.
(I greatly preferred the old OP by the way)

Just a question by the way regarding the skipped Mine-chapter: Is the amateur alchemist girl (Yoki's assistant while he was in charge, I forgot her name), nonexistent here in FMA:B?
Old 2009-07-16, 19:46   Link #75
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
If it wasn't clear from my earlier question I'm also also a non-manga viewer (kinda obvious otherwise I wouldn't have asked it )
Otherwise I find it strange that they are supposed to be in war against three different countries (all of them bigger territory-wise), yet the first series or Brohood so far didn't even slightly mention that fact IIRC.
The new characters seems cool, but I barely know anything about them so I think I'm not going to start predicting future twists yet, while we don't know much about the bigger picture.
(I greatly preferred the old OP by the way)

Just a question by the way regarding the skipped Mine-chapter: Is the amateur alchemist girl (Yoki's assistant while he was in charge, I forgot her name), nonexistent here in FMA:B?
Yeah, she's nowhere to be found in the manga/Brotherhood. First anime-only character.

As for the war against three countries not being mentioned, it's not all out war, it's more like skirmishes once in a while. At least that's what they make it look like. And at the North there don't even seem to be any conflicts, since the fortress of Mt. Briggs which Ed mentioned is there. You'll see much more of it in the future too.
Old 2009-07-16, 22:13   Link #76
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirvee View Post
@Typhon: You do realize that Ed, Al, and Winry are all supposed to be German/European ethnic-wise, right?

Anyway, finally watched the subs. Took them long enough*grumblegrumble*.

My thoughts:

Spoiler for ep 15:
It's just always weird to me, this is the second asian written series set in an alternative universe European inspired setting where a white character makes a racist remark towards asians (The other is ZnT where a guard comments on the main character's "Yellow skin").
Old 2009-07-16, 23:12   Link #77
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Finally a sub I can stand was released

I'm gonna miss the old OP but I do love the new one. Not a fan of the new ED either, quite inferior compared to the previous one

Really iffy on that intro for May and the scenes with Barry felt way shorter than I remember them being, but the rest of it was great. I'd prefer they didn't introduce Ling as a prince so quickly like that but meh.

Spoiler for Manga spoilers:
Old 2009-07-17, 09:32   Link #78
GaimeGuy

correct, karlson
Old 2009-07-17, 17:13   Link #79
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
@Typhon: Imo, it's no different than making fun of other countries in anime form. Look at Hetalia, for example. There's America slander all over it, so I've heard/seen. Some other manga also make fun of America and other countries.
Old 2009-07-17, 20:16   Link #80
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Episode XV: Messenger from the East

Lots of fans will be pleased now that they have seen, beginning from this episode, that the second FMA series is venturing into the rest of the unknown manga territory that was not possible to be covered when the first FMA series ran about five years ago.

I'll make emphasis upon two topics showcased in this episode:

1. Mei Chang and Ling Yao's appearance introduced and exposed the concept of 'Rentanjutsu' or Eastern-based Alchemy, as it has been called for the viewer's common language.
Spoiler:

2. Mustang is dead set on finding about Hughe's killer and the reasons behind his death.
Spoiler:

3. The old-man made an interesting reference about a well-known concept found in most martial arts.
Spoiler:
Closed Thread