AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-11-30, 10:52   Link #4521
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Why? Because they're girls? Because honestly, that's the only real difference here.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 10:55   Link #4522
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I've seen spoilers
Can you give sauce or repost it?

Quote:
Signum goes into unison mode with Reinforce to fight Touma

I thought Signum's unison compatibility with Reinforce wasn't very high
It wasn't as good as with Agito, but it was still workable and Rein is made from the same basic material as Signum (Hayate's Linker Core, essentially), so their Unison may be less straining on Signum's recuperating body.
Old 2011-11-30, 11:07   Link #4523
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Girls in anime seem to connect... way too easily. I've seen so many animes where two girls, meeting for the very first time, will say "Let's be friends!" and then they're friends. No consideration to be incompatible or anything, they just become friends because they declare it.
Old 2011-11-30, 11:24   Link #4524
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I've seen spoilers

Signum goes into unison mode with Reinforce to fight Touma

I thought Signum's unison compatibility with Reinforce wasn't very high
I'm confused, exactly what kind of advantage Signum can get from unisoning against someone like Tohma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
It wasn't as good as with Agito, but it was still workable and Rein is made from the same basic material as Signum (Hayate's Linker Core, essentially), so their Unison may be less straining on Signum's recuperating body.
I will run with this theory and guess that Signum isn't completely recovered yet and the unison with Reinforce helps to put herself togheter in order to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
How is this special? Every character is liked by everyone in the main cast. Everyone liked Fate when she joined the good guys, everyone liked Hayate when they met her, everyone liked the forwards when they met them, everyone liked Einhart when they met her and now everyone liked Thoma.

Besides, everyone besides Lily and Isis has known Thoma for years.

Yup, but we see developement with most of the other cast when they're joined the heroes. Everyone loved Fate after a long introduction period aided by Nanoha. The Wolkenritter first clashed weapons with the girls before bonding with them, Hayate bonds with Suzuka first and then meets with Nanoha and Fate but only became best friends AFTER the Book of Darkness incident. The forwards get a somewhat free pass for being kids and the old cast being caring mentors to them(and even then they only bond with Nanoha and Fate at first, their relationship with other memeber of the cast is more military professional until latter chapters). Not all the numbers were instantly liked by the heroes and they go rehab before bonding with most of them(the first being Ginga).

I accept Tsuzuki attempted to give some background-ish flashbacks about Subaru and Tohma bu that didn't cover up for the fact that when he finally meet with the good guys everyone is like "hey, it's Tohma! Remeber Tohma? He's our best friend in the world! let's hug him!", compared with the other more developed relationships this feels kinds like out nowhere. It's not terribly jarring, i still think Tohma is an ok character, but is still a bit unsettling.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2011-11-30 at 11:37.
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 11:35   Link #4525
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I still don't agree with the sentiment that the other sudden relations in Nanoha were somehow better developed. Particularly in Hayate's en Einhart's case, it was pretty much an "ohai, friends now? Cool." kind of thing. Miura is quickly going down that route as well "Yeah, we only heard about you from people we know and never actually met in person, but we're still going to send you an encouragement before your fight!"

Not to say this is bad, but you can accept all that and have problems with Thoma? I'm sorry, but I cannot help but sense bias here.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 11:40   Link #4526
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I still don't agree with the sentiment that the other sudden relations in Nanoha were somehow better developed. Particularly in Hayate's en Einhart's case, it was pretty much an "ohai, friends now? Cool." kind of thing. Miura is quickly going down that route as well "Yeah, we only heard about you from people we know and never actually met in person, but we're still going to send you an encouragement before your fight!"

Not to say this is bad, but you can accept all that and have problems with Thoma? I'm sorry, but I cannot help but sense bias here.
1: Touma's a male, most fans of Nanoha like the girls and yuri.
2: It's Force, you know how people are about Force.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 11:47   Link #4527
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

I'm not biased against Tohma, really, i don't like him either but so far think he just kind of "exist". To be fair Hayate is a very social person(what about adopting four messengers of doom as your family xD?), and if Einhart was well received it was thanks to Vivio and Nove who make the effort to introduce her to the other characters, it also helps that Einhart is an outstanding fighter, which is something other girl fighters like Rio and Corona find exciting and interesting and thus more motivated to open to Einhart.

I can't deny that you're right on Miura, tough. Even i was surprised at first because she appears and suddenly everyone knows who she is and likes her. The only difference, of course, is that i myself like Miura, heh.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-30, 11:54   Link #4528
Justin_Brett

Quote:
Why? Because they're girls? Because honestly, that's the only real difference here.
It didn't feel like them trying to get people to like a character who didn't. Plus the fact that he's friends with them is why he didn't join the Huckebein, which is pretty important considering how the story could have changed otherwise.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 12:39   Link #4529
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
It didn't feel like them trying to get people to like a character who didn't. Plus the fact that he's friends with them is why he didn't join the Huckebein, which is pretty important considering how the story could have changed otherwise.
Why Tohma starts to sound more and more like Kamui from X/1999?

Whichever side he chooses will be the winning side.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-30, 13:19   Link #4530
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Actually, the problem is not that most fans like girls and yuri. Its that the series is marketed at males and so they force feed us excessive females. (sister princess?) Then we have the whole problem of 'Damn that's like 30 asexual characters. No love life at all. We've seen them grow up to our ages and nothing' at that point if not sooner, we are forced into yuri.

Weakness in story telling that also forces us to believe mid-childa is an amazoness world with a single city.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 15:36   Link #4531
Justin_Brett

Well, given how the Touma and Lily romance has been going so far, I'm not surprised Tsuzuki never went that route before.
Old 2011-11-30, 15:46   Link #4532
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

To be fair, Tohma's relationship with Lily seems to be more straightforward than previous male-female ones in the frnachise. Unlike Yuuno he's a determined boy that, while gently, is also angry at various aspects of his life and channel that anger into fuel his motivation to cintinue living as himself, in resume, he's a more agressive character and that helps to erase that image of "men are the weak sex in the Nanohaverse". Also, unlike Chrono, is a main character which guarantees he will always receive some decent amount of focus from time to time which will help to(arguably, it depends on Tsuzuki's writing skills) flesh out his developement and relationship with other characters more.

One needs to be blind to not be aware of all the teasing Tsuzuki is making around those two, inner bonding, engage ring, engage suit(black for the male, white for the female), needing Lily to be "himself". Of course, knowing Tsuzuki, this probably will never reach official status but the hints are there. Also, so far, Isis seems to care deeply for both of them like a big sis or something which fits with Tsuzuki's writing style as i think he would prefer to avoid the whole "Love Triangle" thing.

By the way, i don't know why but i have the arkward feeling that Veyron and Curren could make a good couple(well, as "good" as a couple of serial killers can be xDU).

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-30, 15:50   Link #4533
Justin_Brett

Well there's no real marketing reason not to make it official. I doubt that many fans are clamoring for Isis/Lily.

And I dunno. He's only gotten mad once or twice, and only with people who have provoked it.
Old 2011-11-30, 15:53   Link #4534
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Why Tohma starts to sound more and more like Kamui from X/1999?

Whichever side he chooses will be the winning side.
Um, no. Kamui would have only won had he joined the Dragons of the Earth. The Kamui of the Dragons of Heaven was always destined to lose.

Quote:
Well, given how the Touma and Lily romance has been going so far
You mean not at all?

People only assume there's going to be a romance between them because he's a boy and she's a girl. They've shown no such interest in each other.
Old 2011-11-30, 15:54   Link #4535
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Well there's no real marketing reason not to make it official. I doubt that many fans are clamoring for Isis/Lily.
Yup, fans are more busy clamoring for Isis/Arnage xD!

Quote:
And I dunno. He's only gotten mad once or twice, and only with people who have provoked it.
But lots of people already acknowledged to his hidden anger, Tohma is a goob boy without doubt but he also hides inner pain and anger for what happened to him and his loved ones. A pain strong enough to not letting him enjoy the happiness of a new caring family, he started his journy to find answers and find the possibility of getting over his pain in order to allow herself to accept and enjoy a new life full of happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Um, no. Kamui would have only won had he joined the Dragons of the Earth. The Kamui of the Dragons of Heaven was always destined to lose.
That's only true for one of the three installements, X is a very weird case with three different media using three different endings. Dragons of earth win in the Movie, Dragons of heaven "win" in the anime, and the manga is currently unconclusive so we are still waiting for the true finale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
People only assume there's going to be a romance between them because he's a boy and she's a girl. They've shown no such interest in each other.
Not yet, and probably never gonna happen, but one can deny the insane amount of "bridal" imagery and simbolism surrounding the duo. I'm pretty sure we will never get to see images of Chrono, Yuuno or Zafira in a tuxedo carrying a girl dressed as a bride xDU.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-30, 16:01   Link #4536
Justin_Brett

He doesn't necessarily have to be bitter and angry to want revenge over something. So far he's more Shirou than Van from Gun X Sword. If he is hiding those things and suddenly goes ballistic, that sounds kind of asspully the way things are going.

Quote:
I hope not, then. I've seen this sort of romance before, and done better.
Old 2011-11-30, 16:18   Link #4537
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
He doesn't necessarily have to be bitter and angry to want revenge over something. So far he's more Shirou than Van from Gun X Sword. If he is hiding those things and suddenly goes ballistic, that sounds kind of asspully the way things are going.
The thing is, he already do that before ....Divide Zero ECLIPSE, remember?

Quote:
I hope not, then. I've seen this sort of romance before, and done better.
Like Raiser said, is very improbable, the story didn't allow for romantic developement, if some romance ever is explored i think it will be kind of a "Macross Romance" or a "Gundam" one, something like "our hearts find comfort in each other and togheter gather strenght to survive this difficult times of war" or something like that.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-30, 16:25   Link #4538
Justin_Brett

So, a canonical one? That's what most romances in Gundam and Macross are, for better or worse.

And yeah it did, but it also put him in a coma shortly afterward. He wasn't willingly fighting anyone for the most part.
Old 2011-11-30, 16:29   Link #4539
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
So, a canonical one? That's what most romances in Gundam and Macross are, for better or worse.
Just myself talking "out of my butt" as always xD

Quote:
And yeah it did, but it also put him in a coma shortly afterward. He wasn't willingly fighting anyone for the most part.
Agreed, but the point is, we learned that Tohma is also screwed up to some degree, we learned about the existence of the pain and anger inside his heart.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-30, 16:32   Link #4540
Justin_Brett

Yeah, but if it just pops up now and then for berserker moments and doesn't affect his character outside of that...

Tags
manga, nanoha force