AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-20, 13:01   Link #961
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Some posts on 2channel say that Hirano Aya, Misaki's VA, actually sang the classical pieces that Misaki sang in the anime. Like, wow. No wonder her voice is so strong as Suzumiya Haruhi.

Here's a link to my post about her over in a Suzumiya Haruhi thread (which I expect many of you frequent, anyway). Pic included.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 18:42   Link #962
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Spoiler for The Usual Suspects movie:

So I'm tempted on how to accept this ending. Include all the bits of the end credits into what I feel of the show? Ignore the scenes I don't like? Well, I most certainly can't just ignore them. They're officially part of the story now. But yet I can't accept the ending as is.

Paradox.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 20:55   Link #963
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
So I'm tempted on how to accept this ending. Include all the bits of the end credits into what I feel of the show? Ignore the scenes I don't like? Well, I most certainly can't just ignore them. They're officially part of the story now. But yet I can't accept the ending as is.

Paradox.
I spent days trying to make it work in my head, it's not worth the effort. Enjoy it for it's surprise factor and move on.
Old 2006-04-21, 08:09   Link #964
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Watched Ep1 DVD version, looks very good. So i am going to rerun.
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 07:20   Link #965
tritoch

shuffle! anyone? the similarities are outstanding. =)
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 08:54   Link #966
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

They are??? You mean there was a total backstabbing b*tch in Canvas 2, too? Where???
Old 2006-04-26, 08:59   Link #967
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Actually, I thought both Elis and Kiri fit that role pretty well.
Old 2006-04-26, 09:12   Link #968
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I'm an Elis fan, so naturally I can't see how Elis can fit that role, but I don't think Kiri fits that role either.
Old 2006-04-26, 11:14   Link #969
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch
shuffle! anyone? the similarities are outstanding. =)
No... I don't see it... outside of it being an anime and a romance, using ero-games for source material.
Shuffle is a harem anime: many girls seeking to the "the mate" for a guy plus polygamy is a real possibility. Rin is attracted to all of them. Shuffle is also science fiction. Its also a lot funnier in the first half and then goes grim for the last half.
Canvas 2 is a triangle romance: there are other girls but they're just friends who also attend school there - the story focuses on Elise (a blood cousin) and Kiri (a childhood friend) and there's no romance with any other character. The story is set in our mundane world. It is more slice-of-life, mixing humor and pathos throughout the show. edit: I oversimplified a bit --- forgot about Elise's ceramics friend chasing her and if we try really hard I suppose we could take Hagino more seriously... not. And, of course, Yagino... lots and lots of triangles.

Editorially comparing, Canvas 2 waits until the end credits of the last episode are rolling to pull their "we're going to have an eyecatch that was completely unsupported by the storyline and character definition and make you wonder if we have any idea how to write a finale" whereas the Shuffle writers started destroying carefully developed characterizations around ep20 to incompetently force a result that could have been scripted better by monkeys.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-04-26 at 11:39.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 11:23   Link #970
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Canvas 2 is a triangle romance: there are other girls but they're just friends who also attend school there - the story focuses on Elise (a blood cousin) and Kiri (a childhood friend) and there's no romance with any other character.
Actually, nevermind. I see no point in discussing this show anymore. This post can be deleted.

EDIT: Ack! I figured I could just use the report bad post to have a mod delete my post, but I just realized I can't do that for my own posts.

Last edited by rooboy; 2006-04-26 at 11:26. Reason: This post can be deleted
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 00:20   Link #971
kamikazex

wow just finished wathcing this..yup suprizing ending. i liked it tho. elis owns haha
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 00:38   Link #972
tritoch

I made the comment whilst watching episdoe 1 - 8

I stand by what I said though.

But yes, the ending shocked me.. poor kiri.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 02:21   Link #973
AmamiYui

AmamiYui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 04:04   Link #974
combat kitten

im sort of scared to ask because.. im sure its been asked many times before ><
but im so sleepy... cant rewatch it for now so...

is Elise and the main char real blood related brother / sister?

please dont flame me D:
combat kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 04:07   Link #975
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

They are not brother/sister. They are blood related though, cousins of some degree, maybe first, I can't remember.
Old 2006-05-15, 10:16   Link #976
dr. fnord
jui kuen

watched this a while ago, ending up thinking that I'd have to rewatch at least some of it to figure out why it didn't quite sit right. but I figured it out, and it's all about Hiroki. because he's relatively affable, likeable or whathaveyou, but the thing is--where was his life outside of school, Elis and Kiri? his "not painting shame past history" with that artist dude? I mean, where's _one_ drinking buddy? a hobby? softball? something. but there's nothing. which then makes his dramatic arcs seem forced, since they're all he's got. I'll give him the "I don't paint anymore" scorned artist action, but the "teach or paint" thing is junk. as if the two are at all exclusive. how many art teachers do you know that aren't in it for the fact that they get a studio out of the deal? plus, the only social life he's got comes out of that school. and our evidence for his "force of will" was his standing up for assistant director whatshername, but that was just paying back a fancy dinner anyhow.

so the picture at the end is that him and Elis shack up for a while as expats in Paris, totally "into" each other (how else? neither of them speak much french or even english), her a student and him a deadbeat. but unemployable, unstable and anti-social as he is, he soon gets bored, spins off into another depression, and ditches Elis mid-semester to go back to Japan--leaving her to become some gothed-out "artist" pouring sex and drugs into the hole in her heart. very Balzac.

your heart breaks for Kiri, but what's the deal with her being a "PE teacher?" seems like her job involves schooling little girls at basketball--of course she can take it to the rack all over them: she's got height, skills and experience. it reminds me of that Bill Murray bit in Rushmore. but at least she's got a drinking buddy.

which gets us to the real star of the show--Hagino-sensei. my scheme for a surprise ending would be: cut the singing/snow chase motorcycle rescue "ohmigosh I can't stand the tension," bust out the painting, have them make out right there in the airport, then use the ten minutes you saved to reveal that the story you just watched was written by Kana for her senior project, and have a musical photo montage illustrating her thrill ride to the top of the pop novel profession, becoming an international modern day literary superstar a la a female Murakami, who might as well be a woman the way he builds his stories around fashion details. wink wink.

feels good to get that out.
dr. fnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 21:40   Link #977
einlancer
stick-figure-man

I just watched this last night (actually marathoned it from eps 1-24) and i have to say i liked it a lot

This might be a long post though as i would like to share my thoughts on this series in this one post.

I liked this series mainly for two reasons.. 1. The way they used what i called "timing" and 2. Tomoko.

What do i mean by "timing"? It is an instance or situation in the series in which wherein a characters action or situation that done a few time frames earlier or later could have greatly affected the flow of the story. This can be also called a what if character A is a little bit early or late in arriving at Location A... I cant really explain this but to give examples to illustrate my point..
ex1.. The Highschool Kiri confession to Hiroki.. the timing i was talking about is.. "What if Yanagi was a few time frames(seconds/minutes) late in climbing those stairs and have not overheard the whole confession thing.. Would he not be bitter to Hiroki and in turn not steal his composition...Then Hiroki would have entered the won competion with his portrait of Kiri thus giving him self validation which may have led to him confessing to Kiri in return. Or what if Yanagi was few time frames earlier.. would Kiri have still confessed to Hiroki if Yanagi was in the rooftop with them...
ex2... Kiri apologicing to Hiroki for "shaking up" Elis' feeling which leads to the accident... "What if Elis was a few time frames early and heard the whole apologising sequence.... What would have she done.. would she confront Kiri right then and there thus giving a new twist to the story.. Would she have come out and forgive her on that spot... As it stands, she only saw the situation of Hiroki and Kiri hugging and felt "betrayed" not by Kiri (maybe) but by Hiroki (my interpretation).

As you can see.. my examples here could have easily made a big impact to the story if the characters were delayed or ahead a few a moments.. Or it could have no impact at all..

2. I really liked the character of Tomoko. Though she had really only one episode dedicated for herself(ep5) I have come to identify her most among all the characters. Somehow among all the characters of these series, she's the one i liked the most, and its quite hard to pick among the bunch.. Also has anyone noticed or wondered about the lines/thoughts by tomoko whe she was at the plane. "Goodbye, oniichan from the hospital".. i never would have thought that Tomoko have met Hiroki even before episode 5. Cause if you would watch eps 2 wherein Elise explain to the art president(forgot her name) why she started drawing.. you would see in the flashback that the little girl begging Hiroki to see his painting/drawings outside the hospital is indeed Tomoko. This was comfirmed by Tomoko herself when she was talking to Elis in the hospital and told her that because of her sickness she went to different hospitals for checkup and treatment and one of those hospital is Hokkaido(sp?).. I never would have thought that that little scene with little girl has that much significance in the story. I always beleived that it was just some random little girl used to build up Hiroki's character as a nice guy.. Not until the final episode was it made clear to me( at least) that Tomoko has much storyline otherwise( though it is not clearly stated and is more implicated and subject to speculations and imagination).

Well that post is long enough.. and for the record I also would have preferred that Hiroki ended up with Kiri and that Elis and Hiroki having a well established "brother/sister" relationship. Which is why the final scene of Hiroki and Elis in bed shacked up is so much of a disappointment for me... Overall i rate this series a 9/10.
einlancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 18:16   Link #978
DanielSong39

Read the first chapter of the manga...

Elis has a much sunnier personality in the manga - and we also get to see Hiroki's feelings about Elis right away.

The manga certainly did a better job than the anime in establishing the Elis/Hiroki relationship just one chapter into the story.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 18:16   Link #979
DanielSong39

Accidental repost - please delete.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-06, 12:21   Link #980
radister
Back and Alive! i think!?

i found the anime quite enjoyable
at first i wasn't to sure of the canvas2. from the first ep i knew it was going to be mainly serouis and at that time i wasn't in one of those moods. i went back to canvas2 about a week later and found in enjoyable. sure it wasn't perfect and took me about 3 days to wacth becuase i wasn't as hooked as some anime gets me however, i agreed with the ending. i think they could have done a better job on some aspects but i found it as a good anime.

ps:- Tomoko was the best chracter! she rocked.
radister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, f&c, kadokawa, romance, school life, seinen, slice of life, zexcs