Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-28, 12:54   Link #2221
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Hey, good tactic there, I guess I'll do the same and purposely delay my episode watching till I can't bear it anymore.
How strong of you guys.
Old 2009-12-28, 12:58   Link #2222
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Great job, Pelly!
Thanks, I think I spent 2 hours / 2 hours and half to make it. The main problems were two: the sequence (I started with 36-37 frames and had to choose among them) and the optimization because this avatar could only be presented in 256 colours (at 128 there were serious problems with Momiji's rendering). Anyway, glad if it can be of some assistance for you.

Quote:
Hey, good tactic there, I guess I'll do the same and purposely delay my episode watching till I can't bear it anymore.
But sure you guys have some guts. In my mind I simply cannot allow both concepts of "new cross game episode is out" and "don't watch it", it's too much of an oxymoron. It's been like this since the weekly wait for episode 2 after episode 1.

Episode 39 got a 10. Doing a little bit of trivia (and checking my ratings on anidb because it's not I'm remembering all of them) it's the 18th time I give a full 10 to a CG episode.

Spoiler for trivia:

I'd like to expand on something Meo mentioned, Aoba's "thank you" after which no rain followed. I noticed it too, and I think it was there to represent something.
But I don't think it has to do with sincerity. It's not that Aoba wasn't sincere when she thanked Kou for worrying about her, or Akane for the present, or the senpai-tachi for looking after her. The myth of rain linked to a certain event is related to the rarity of the event itself; an event that never happens brings rain (in a superstition related believing). Hence my theory is that Aoba's "thanks" aren't the exception anymore. They aren't the norm either, but they're not so rare now to cause imbalances.

Back to the episode, we've come to a point where the master is learning from the disciple. Before the phone call, Aoba was clearly mimicking Kou's movements to improve herself. Definitely not bad (on a partially related matter, please note how she never uses the word "Kou", something we discussed in the past); also remember that everytime Aoba says "maybe I've underestimated him" the Koumeter in her heart raises by 100 points; it's just that she doesn't realize it yet... even if I think she's starting to get some clues, if I may dare to say so.

This leads to the second most important scene of the episode, the dialogue on the bench between Akane and Kou, where Akane figures out how deep and tangled is the relationship between the two. Much for her to think, and maybe expand with Aoba in the time they'll likely spend at Clover.
You need patience with long series, but it definitely pays off. How much satisfying was to see Kou and Aoba now under that light, after all we've seen in the past 38 episodes? To me, it was a lot.
Old 2009-12-28, 13:27   Link #2223
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
This episode was just epic scene after epic scene,my favorite was with Papa Tsukishima ,even Nomo left him!

But the really weird thing was this:a cell phone rang and someone answered it!
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 14:12   Link #2224
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:

Don't blame me if I crack very soon, as I haven't read the manga beforehand

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 15:41   Link #2225
Casshern

I hope Akaishi gets his ass in gear eventually... and I hope Junpei runs over Mizuki with his truck.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 16:48   Link #2226
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
But sure you guys have some guts. In my mind I simply cannot allow both concepts of "new cross game episode is out" and "don't watch it", it's too much of an oxymoron. It's been like this since the weekly wait for episode 2 after episode 1.
The only thing that is driving me crazy because I can't see it is the last episode of Kemono no Souja Erin which aired yesterday, since my Crunchyroll account won't work in Mexico. Damn regional limitations. BTW, go and watch that series, everyone. It doesn't have much in common with Cross Game other than both being the best 2009 has to offer, but still I wanted to do my shameless plug

Quote:
Don't blame me if I crack very soon, as I haven't read the manga beforehand
i was about to give in 2 hours ago if it wasn't for the fact I had to go to the bank. I will use some Warcraft III to distract me I guess.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 20:48   Link #2227
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
I hope Akaishi gets his ass in gear eventually... and I hope Junpei runs over Mizuki with his truck.
I cannot agree with this more than I already do.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 20:54   Link #2228
Nosauz

man we should all feel pity for mizuki, he has no role other being the odd man out.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 02:21   Link #2229
CWW
Lurker

If Kou doesn't consider spousing Akane I am seriously going to punch him in the face.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 02:43   Link #2230
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
If Kou doesn't consider spousing Akane I am seriously going to punch him in the face.
You'd end up hurting yourself . I'm sorry about that in advance.
Old 2009-12-29, 06:13   Link #2231
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'm sorry, too. Here's a bag of ice, for the swelling. What, you didn't think Kou would take your punch lightly, did you? Or Aoba, by the way?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 07:41   Link #2232
Spoonroo

Love Cross game - I'm a guy, and I can barely resist Kou myself! haha

This has been bothering me lately and I was reminded of it this episode, thanks to Mr. Tsukishima - for all the focus on a deceased family member in this show, they sure have left out the girls' mother! I was watching with someone who thought that Ichiyo was the mother, which role she certainly fills (even her father says the he relies on her for everything).

What do you think?

Last edited by Spoonroo; 2009-12-29 at 07:55.
Spoonroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 08:48   Link #2233
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

They mention her only in passing, a couple of times. Probably not to dwell too much on another dead relative drama, I guess...

Old 2009-12-29, 10:24   Link #2234
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I just don't see Kou happy marrying a plot device, even if she is a nice person who looks exactly like his dead childhood sweetheart.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 10:44   Link #2235
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In general I think the voice acting in this show is considerably better than average, but lately Kanda Akemi's performance as Akane just rubs me the wrong way. She sounded fine as the ten-year-old Wakaba, but she still brings that young voice to Akane's role. Given Akane's physical size and general demeanor I think of her as having a more mature voice than the rather moe~ voice Kanda uses. (I especially noticed this in the conversation on the park bench in episode 39.) Kanda's over thirty, so I wouldn't be surprised if her normal vocal register is lower than the one she uses for Akane. I know this is a nit-pick about what's otherwise an excellent show, but I'm just a picky guy!

I would like the story to move along a bit faster now, though. I like slice-of-life shows, but the last few episodes have seemed a bit mired to me. I'll be a bit annoyed if nothing progresses on any of the romance fronts until the last episode at which point everyone suddenly pairs up. I hope whatever pairings occur happen over a couple of episodes so we get to see the feelings blossom before it all comes to an end.

My daughter wants to see fewer references to Wakaba as well. As she said, "get over it, already!"
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 11:22   Link #2236
Casshern

I see Akane as a second chance for Akaishi. He just needs to realise that Akane is not Wakaba.

As for Mizuki, I don't really understand his role. That fact that all his lines are aggravating doesn't help.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 11:26   Link #2237
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
I see Akane as a second chance for Akaishi. He just needs to realise that Akane is not Wakaba.
That's quite like how I think of it, as well.

Quote:
As for Mizuki, I don't really understand his role. That fact that all his lines are aggravating doesn't help.
Have you not yet perceived that this is his role in the story?

Old 2009-12-29, 11:27   Link #2238
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I think Kanda nailed Akane pretty much dead on. She's supposed to sound 'moe' and all because Akane is pretty much the perfect passive Yamato Nadeshiko. Compare this to her rendition of Wakaba of which has a sort of edge to it, or Aoba who really has a sting to her comments to Kou. It gives the idea that Aoba is closer to Wakaba's personality than Akane will ever be, which is further evidenced by the fact that Wakaba was the one who 'pushed' Kou (like Aoba does now but Akane hasn't). In fact, Kou commented before that it was this part of Aoba that reminded him of Wakaba in one of the earlier episodes, and I can't imagine Akane with her 'moe' voice doing the same.

As for the resolution of the love triangle (or exactly how its handled), can't really say anything here due to mods being more present nowadays in this thread (back then, me and Golthin were pretty liberal because the thread wasn't as frequented by mods as it is now lol). So yeah, to those curious, manga thread is there.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 17:16   Link #2239
Theowne
耳をすませば

Someone go and introduce Cross Game to the 2009 Animesuki awards list thread. Its absence is alarming.

I would do it...but seeing as I only like 3-4 series this year, my list would be rather sparse.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-12-29 at 17:56. Reason: its...it's...
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 20:17   Link #2240
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Unfortunately, according to the rules we're ineligible because CG isn't finishing in 2009.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports