AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2013-07-03, 02:31   Link #581
Wanderer Blue
Wanderer of the Mist

Hmm, that's a hard one but i think i'll go with Keane, since they are just an overall excellent band. I have all their albums and unlike most musicians i know all albums have been hits and no misses.

"Wander Sweet Bird, wander from this sorrow that cages you."- Ly
Wanderer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 10:23   Link #582
SummeryDreams

It wasn't a band, she's a solo artist.. I like Miwa the most among all, she has a really cute voice and sings so well even live.. Anyways, I like the thoughts of her songs and that's why I like her the most。。。
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 07:31   Link #583
Vegard Aune

Kalafina. And by extension FictionJunction seeing as how they are basically the same thing.
Old 2013-08-06, 11:39   Link #584
Nakata

So many musics that I love to hear, but I prefer The Beatles
Nakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 16:45   Link #585
P99

My all time favorite band would have to be Linkin Park, but The Runaways, Queen, Fitz and the Tantrums, Imagine Dragons, and The Smiths are in a close tie for second
Old 2013-08-06, 18:17   Link #586
El Guapo
Dave's not here, man

All time favorite musician is Frank Zappa; not a band exactly, but he was one of those people who was sort of a band unto himself, if that makes any sense. Anyway, he's pretty much my all time favorite.

Close second would be an experimental art band called The Residents, who I would be pleasantly surprised if anyone has heard of. It's not for everyone, but if you can get past the abrasive weirdness their music is just fantastic.

After those two, a short list of my all time favorites (bands and solo artists) would probably be:

--Miles Davis
--The Gluey Brothers
--Blink-182 (laugh if you want)
--Phish
--The Chieftains
--Tangerine Dream
--The Pillows
--Beastie Boys

Really, it's hard to narrow it down any further than that, i have so much music, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I like the best.

Reading some other entries in this thread I've noticed that The Beatles seem to be a consistent favorite. It reminds me that I've noticed lately that The Beatles seem to be surprisingly popular with a lot of young people these days, and I'm curious as to why. I'm certainly not saying I don't like them, but I remember when I was younger I liked The Beatles and a lot of older stuff, and everyone thought I was lame and made fun of me for it. This was like, mid '90s, btw. Curious as to what the current perception of them is.

http://www.therealmuffin.net

http://music.therealmuffin.net</plug>

Last edited by El Guapo; 2013-08-06 at 18:28. Reason: addendum - random thought
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 00:07   Link #587
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Not entirely bands, but *shrugs*.

Alter Bridge, Foo Fighters, Matchbox Twenty, Placebo, Soundgarden, Stone Sour. Black Flag, Rollins Band. Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine. Allen/Lande, Kamelot, Laguna Coil, Nightwish, Sonata Artica, Symphony X. Cake. Electric Six. Franz Ferdinand. Gnarls Barkley. Incubus. Modest Mouse. The Fratellis. Unbunny, That Handsome Devil. Beastie Boys, Daft Punk, Jamiroquai. Earth, Wind, and Fire. Disarmonia Mundi, Killswitch Engage, Opeth, Soilwork. Tool, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer. Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly. Asriel, Shikata Akiko.

Then some more 80s blues/funk groups whose names escape me at the moment.

I like variety!
Old 2013-08-14, 08:06   Link #588
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
Reading some other entries in this thread I've noticed that The Beatles seem to be a consistent favorite. It reminds me that I've noticed lately that The Beatles seem to be surprisingly popular with a lot of young people these days, and I'm curious as to why. I'm certainly not saying I don't like them, but I remember when I was younger I liked The Beatles and a lot of older stuff, and everyone thought I was lame and made fun of me for it. This was like, mid '90s, btw. Curious as to what the current perception of them is.
New stuff is trash these days I kid. I guess its because of the internet. Social interaction on internet is very much nostalgic, as far as I have seen, with respect to music, movies and entertainment in general. I myself listen to pre-1990's songs and as do my friends. It also doesn't help that the most publicized singers, right now, are teenagers (I might be wrong, I don't follow celebrity news much) that don't really appeal much outside their demographic.

Well, those are just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by Eragon; 2013-08-14 at 08:22.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 16:20   Link #589
venusinjorts
cool robot dog

Send a message via AIM to venusinjorts Send a message via Yahoo to venusinjorts
Quote:
Close second would be an experimental art band called The Residents, who I would be pleasantly surprised if anyone has heard of. It's not for everyone, but if you can get past the abrasive weirdness their music is just fantastic.
My 9th grade girlfriend got me into The Residents. They're weird dudes but they rock.

Titus Andronicus was my favorite band for the past 3 years but as much as I love them they just can't hold that spot anymore.

Honestly Pavement is probably my favorite band, which is weird because they were my favorite band 4 years ago before i got into Titus, but like... Malkmus is my dude, and that late 80's/early 90's slacker aesthetic is really just what my life is. (Or i guess the other day my friend said "your aesthetic is like “fun grandma” mixed with “80’s late night stoner cult classic”)

I mostly listen to rap music right now though, and as far as that goes my favorites are:
  • Pusha T (gotta rep my hometown hero)
  • Kendrick
  • Das Racist
  • Greedhead
  • Black Hippy
  • Riff Raff
  • Drake

and then older school stuff like Black On Both Sides and Illmatic are constantly being played because of course.
venusinjorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 03:04   Link #590
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, some old Jazz Saxophone Artist that I have long forget.
JAM Project if it's anime and game.
Sabaton for the rest.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 08:51   Link #591
walkofshane

Quote:
I am a huge Beatles fan too. I guess the spike in their popularity nowadays has something to do with the kind of music that is flooding the market these days. Fans with more discerning tastes listen to old classic stuff like the Beatles because most of the shallow music now do not appeal to them.

Then enterprising minds in the music industry released "digitally remastered" versions of the old albums and now more people have access to these albums.

Personally, I am very happy that many young people listen to the Beatles now compared to the 90s. At least they can say they listen to good quality music.
walkofshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 09:27   Link #592
Crassa
Streamline

K-ON ulalala moe-ception
Old 2013-08-22, 00:00   Link #593
El Guapo
Dave's not here, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinjorts View Post
I mostly listen to rap music right now though, and as far as that goes my favorites are:
  • Pusha T (gotta rep my hometown hero)
  • Kendrick
  • Das Racist
  • Greedhead
  • Black Hippy
  • Riff Raff
  • Drake
In case anyone wanted to know, here is how you know you're officially old: an 18 year old tells you he listens to rap, and then proceeds to rattle off seven names, AND YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY OF THEM. Seriously, though, no one has made rap since the '90s. It's a scientifically proven fact .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
New stuff is trash these days I kid. I guess its because of the internet. Social interaction on internet is very much nostalgic, as far as I have seen, with respect to music, movies and entertainment in general. I myself listen to pre-1990's songs and as do my friends. It also doesn't help that the most publicized singers, right now, are teenagers (I might be wrong, I don't follow celebrity news much) that don't really appeal much outside their demographic.

Well, those are just my thoughts on the matter.
Very refreshing to hear. I'm very much a 20th century guy in terms of musical taste. In general I feel that, with maybe a handful of notable exceptions, most of them independent internet artists, very little has happened musically in the last ten years that has been worth paying attention to.

I went to see Kick Ass 2 the other night, and one of the previews was for a movie about some new boy band I've never even heard of; One Dimension or some other kind of rubbish. As far as I can tell, they're like the Scottish Backstreet Boys or something I think. Anyway, if I could have mentally transmuted that Professor Farnsworth "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" macro onto the screen, I would have done so. I have to wonder what the kids who are being sold this dreck now are going to think of it in ten years, and if they're going to regret spending eighteen dollars on that One Dimension record when they could have just gone to the library and checked out any number of better albums for free, and come away with better memories to boot. Seems like just yesterday I was saying the same f---ing thing about the Jonas Brothers. Do kids even still listen to the Jonas Brothers, or has their time passed already?

Old 2013-08-22, 08:56   Link #594
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Let's not making this a war, shall we?

Also, never much a fan of Rap/HipHop, but somehow these "Old-school" (80s-90s) tracks do appeal more to me than the recent one.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 17:59   Link #595
El Guapo
Dave's not here, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Let's not making this a war, shall we?

Also, never much a fan of Rap/HipHop, but somehow these "Old-school" (80s-90s) tracks do appeal more to me than the recent one.
Not trying to make a war, just saying I feel old, lol. I'm starting to feel like Brian on that Family Guy where he's watching the Teen Choice Awards, and he's all like: "Every year I recognize fewer and fewer names."

I definitely prefer the old school stuff when it comes to rap though.

Old 2013-09-20, 08:44   Link #596
Ilyushin-21

J POP : Baby Metal, Kimura Kaela, Stance Punks, Pizzicato Five, Perfume, AKB48, Rimi Natsukawa, and Tommy Heavenly
Ilyushin-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 10:59   Link #597
sparkles

One OK Rock <3
sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 17:35   Link #598
EscapeReality

I really find it hard to have one band that I like more than the others. I just don't have any internal ranking.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 21:43   Link #599
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkofshane View Post
Personally, I am very happy that many young people listen to the Beatles now compared to the 90s. At least they can say they listen to good quality music.
When I was in high school (1997-2001), The Beatles wasn't the classic rock band of choice for many students. There were many who liked classic rock and a good number who liked the Beatles, but Led Zeppelin was more popular. Seems fitting. The 90s was darker for music (for much of the mainstream music) and it is fitting that in comparison The Beatles are gaining popularity with young people today when so much mainstream music is not dark. I mean, what were some big radio hits in the mid 90s? Stuff from Nine Inch Nails, The Deftones, and Marilyn Manson. What are big radio hits today? Stuff like Roar from Katy Perry and some crap from Justin Bieber.

Pink Floyd was also bigger with students in my area than The Beatles (during my high school years). Lots of potheads/druggies liked Pink Floyd.
Old 2013-11-07, 00:40   Link #600
Kaken

I wasn't into rock back then as much as I am now. Pretty much mostly listen to Jrock bands though. Not really into making lists so I'm just going to limit myself to one band. At the moment my favorite band is Last Alliance, I like their guitarists and enjoy listening to their vocals.
Kaken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
band, music