AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-24, 10:17   Link #1
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Emotional, (Dark) - But mainly WELL-WRITTEN PLOT!

Looking for something that has a well written plot, can be dark, but should be emotional.

Though, if someone can find me something that has a well written plot w/o the other two factors, tat's great too, i could use some happy endings for once :P.

Shows i've watched include:
Code Geass Seasons 1 2 and 3 (yeah thats right, i saw the exclusive 3rd season, and ya'll didn't)
Ga-Rei Zero
Death Note (Skipped a lot of episodes because i watched the first two movies before watching this -> Should i go back and watch?)
Higurashi series
Go!
Kanon 2006
Air
Clannad Season 1 (I forgot most of the details, should i jump straight into Season 2?)
FMA

Can't think of others right now, but any suggestions. I'd really be more focused on recent years anime...

Thanks,
Miroku2192
Old 2009-07-24, 10:23   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
L
Clannad Season 1 (I forgot most of the details, should i jump straight into Season 2?)
You'll still enjoy it. After Story is not something to miss. Take a guess at who is on my avatar.
Old 2009-07-24, 10:35   Link #3
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
You'll still enjoy it. After Story is not something to miss. Take a guess at who is on my avatar.
I want to say that's the dad (the red haired - baseball one)...but can't say it really looks like him...

IS THAT THEIR KID!? don't tell me they have kids in this season haha
Old 2009-07-24, 10:39   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeah that's the dad. XD

I don't know where kids thing came from...

Anyway just make sure not to read any comments on youtube videos related to Clannad because those bastards have a habit of giving out big spoilers.
Old 2009-07-24, 10:42   Link #5
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Yeah that's the dad. XD

I don't know where kids thing came from...

Anyway just make sure not to read any comments on youtube videos related to Clannad because those bastards have a habit of giving out big spoilers.
Well if it wasn't the father, and the way you asked it, it seemed like it might be something surprising...so whats the next thing that comes close to someone looking like the mother's father? The son...haha

thanks for the youtube watchout...i've been spoiled before. Lame...very very lame
Old 2009-07-24, 11:45   Link #6
qwertyuiopz

romeo x juliet

watching clannadAS without season 1 wouldnt be as dramatic to as if you did watch it
Old 2009-07-24, 11:51   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
watch season 2, IMO season 2 was a lot better than one because the drama gets raised up a notch
I found xam'd lost memories quite emotional, though it is more on the Eureka 7 kind of lane, some factors in it were very sad to see
Old 2009-07-24, 11:54   Link #8
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

I've seen romeo x juliet - i kinda liked that one

As for Xam'd - i liked it too, Is Eureka 7 better? I've heard a lot of people mention it...
Old 2009-07-24, 12:30   Link #9
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
I've seen romeo x juliet - i kinda liked that one

As for Xam'd - i liked it too, Is Eureka 7 better? I've heard a lot of people mention it...
Eureka 7 is quite good. Is it better than Xam'd? In the grand scheme of things they are about equal. Eureka 7 benefits from having 50 eps to tell their story while Xam'd only had the 26. On the downside though, I feel that Eureka 7 wasted much of its initial episodes and came off really childish in the beginning. It wasn't until ep 10 or so that Eureka 7's story really came into its own and from there it really skyrocketed. Definitly check it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Also take a look at Towards the Terra (or is it To Terra? I've never figured out which was the right name). It has a very tightly scripted plot from beginning to end which I believe it benefited from being a novel adaptation. It is a sci-fi show that has some very dark elements. Give it about 4 episodes to build itself up before it takes off.

That same summer, Seirei no Moribito was airing. It too is novel adaptation but in this case based off an old Korean (?) classic and therefore has a tight plot as well. A very well done fantasy/adventure with excellent animation and superb execution. Also noted for an excellent soundtrack.

Last edited by cerrian; 2009-07-24 at 12:49.
Old 2009-07-24, 12:48   Link #10
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Eureka 7 is quite good. Is it better than Xam'd? In the grand scheme of things they are about equal. Eureka 7 benefits from having 50 eps to tell their story while Xam'd only had the 26. On the downside though, I feel that Eureka 7 wasted much of it's initial episodes and came off really childish in the beginning. It wasn't until ep 10 or so that Eureka 7's story really came into its own and from there it really skyrocketed. Definitly check it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Also take a look at Towards the Terra (or is it To Terra? I've never figured out which was the right name). It has a very tightly scripted plot from beginning to end which I believe it benefited from being a novel adaptation. It is a sci-fi show that has some very dark elements. Give it about 4 episodes to build itself up before it takes off.

That same summer, Seirei no Moribito was airing. It too is novel adaptation but in this case based off an old Korean (?) classic and therefore has a tight plot as well. A very well done fantasy/adventure with excellent animation and superb execution. Also noted for an excellent soundtrack.
Thanks, i will take a look into all those seires. Never got around to watching seirei no moribito - have it at home, the DVDs, but never got around to watching it lol.
Old 2009-07-24, 13:44   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Moribito was actually based off the first of a modern series of Japanese novels by Nahoko Uehashi. She's a folklorist and there's no question that the world she created has elements of old Korea (as well as Japan and China) but the author is 100% Japanese.
Old 2009-07-24, 14:51   Link #12
Asfad

I only have one recommendation for you. Monster. Watch it now. One of the most well written stories i've ever experienced, in any medium. Also pretty dark to boot.
Old 2009-07-24, 14:57   Link #13
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asfad View Post
I only have one recommendation for you. Monster. Watch it now. One of the most well written stories i've ever experienced, in any medium. Also pretty dark to boot.
Remember watching the 1st or 2nd episode way way back....i was a pretty young then...don't rmemeber what it waas about.
Old 2009-07-24, 15:39   Link #14
Asfad

Here's a short summary of it:

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=1539

It takes a few episodes to lay the basic premise of the story down. The first half may seem like a bunch of separate short stories, but it does a great job at weaving together all of the stories into one main storyline after that. The episode count is quite long, but you won't regret it.
Old 2009-07-24, 15:43   Link #15
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Monster is exactly what you are looking for.
Old 2009-07-24, 16:26   Link #16
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Monster seems a bit long though..70+ episodes O_o!??!?!
Old 2009-07-24, 20:44   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Trust me, Monster won't seem that long while you're watching it, and you'll be sorry when it's over.
Old 2009-07-24, 23:16   Link #18
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Trust me, Monster won't seem that long while you're watching it, and you'll be sorry when it's over.
Agree. But do not get discouraged at the beginning as it starts out pretty slow/boring. (I remember falling asleep the first episode, never happened again )
Old 2009-07-25, 03:35   Link #19
blewin

If you want dark and emotional, try

Zegapain - a pretty convoluted story with revelations spaced out throughout the series. Story will become a tiny bit clearer if you at least watch up to episode 4, then the story just gets better and better. Well worth the time and patience.

Personal Trinity Soul - If you like Zegapain.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-07-26, 01:44   Link #20
retardation
phantom loser

is gai rei actually good? never seen it discussed before
Closed Thread