AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-03, 17:19   Link #21
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh1
You make "Harry fans" sound like a bad thing.
Well, I don't know what you categorize as a fan, I've read all the books, but I wouldn't say I was being overprotective in my previous post. I basically just noticed something illogical and corrected your name-spelling
Yeah that was my bad When i noticed i was like, wow that made me look pretty dumb.

To each their own, people can be fans of whatever they want right
Old 2004-05-03, 19:31   Link #22
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Close this thread! Just seeing the words Harry Potter next to Naruto is killing me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz end it!
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2004-05-03, 19:33   Link #23
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi_shay
Close this thread! Just seeing the words Harry Potter next to Naruto is killing me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz end it!

LoL Maybe they should change Konoha to Hogwartz or whatever
Old 2004-05-03, 20:20   Link #24
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
Whoever came up with an idea that Naruto looks like Harry Potter is seriously mistaken. And lastly, Harry Potter in my opinion isn't that interesting Naruto is.
Old 2004-05-03, 21:30   Link #25
thelightandthedark
Ninja Hunter

Also both naruto and harry's parents died protecting them.

Harry Potter is not as mature in some aspects as naruto. Japanese writers tend to deal with issues personal development in a lot more obvious and emphasized way, than their western counterparts. English people especially are renound for repressing their emotions and that shows in their work.

That said I do tend to think japanese anime/manga writers are in some way propergandarists to a certain exstent - pedalling this try hard and you will succeed attitude for the future generations and ultimately the future economy.

my 2 yen....

OT Harry Potter references Zender's Game a classic Sci Fi Book.
Old 2004-05-03, 21:54   Link #26
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightandthedark
Also both naruto and harry's parents died protecting them.

Harry Potter is not as mature in some aspects as naruto. Japanese writers tend to deal with issues personal development in a lot more obvious and emphasized way, than their western counterparts. English people especially are renound for repressing their emotions and that shows in their work.

That said I do tend to think japanese anime/manga writers are in some way propergandarists to a certain exstent - pedalling this try hard and you will succeed attitude for the future generations and ultimately the future economy.

my 2 yen....

OT Harry Potter references Zender's Game a classic Sci Fi Book.
Huh?

Just close it already!
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2004-05-03, 22:18   Link #27
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Huh?

Just close it already!

Wouldnt it be cool though if Naruto rode around on a broom and used his magical wand to do jutsu?
Old 2004-05-03, 23:10   Link #28
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

I see how things could look the same, but I don't think its enough, and the differences are too great.. but it is amusing to see whats the same...

3 and 3
the Schools
Evil Snake Lords
Parents dead
Killed by an evil entity...

Well, its amusing to me, anyway.

~Sage

PS: Why do the mods act like something out of the book 1984? And why does everyone run around in fear of them? Kinda sad on both accounts...
Old 2004-05-03, 23:18   Link #29
AnimeFangirl

*pssst* Sage, Big Brother is watching you.
I think Kishimoto made a mention of Harry Potter once, that he wanted to make a series about magic but people would think he copied Harry Potter? Or was that some other mangaka? I've really gotta go back and read all that stuff sometime.

EDIT: Harry Potter on a movie screen (or at least a boy on a broomstick...with glasses...flying...draw your own conclusions) shows up in the author's comments for Naruto Volume 15. Still haven't found the quote I'm looking for, though. Maybe I did imagine it after all, I must be going crazy with finals.

Last edited by AnimeFangirl; 2004-05-03 at 23:38.
Old 2004-05-03, 23:54   Link #30
thelightandthedark
Ninja Hunter

Quote:
Huh?

Just close it already!
Exactly

we have all heard you voice

now go to bed and pray to the mods that they close this thread.
it seems that important to you.
Old 2004-05-04, 01:02   Link #31
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightandthedark

Quote:
Just close it already!
Exactly
Jut because you don't like this topic there is no reason to close it. Its valid, its on topic, and some people find it interesting. If you dont like it don't read it. its that simple

Thank you for your time and your understanding,

~Sage

PS: Now that I thin about it, Naruto has 'Harry Potter' hair (of a different color). LOL!
Old 2004-07-30, 01:18   Link #32
kefka95
MONKEY

similarities between Naruto and Harry Potter

NOTE: There are possible Harry Potter spoilers ahead, so if you haven't finished reading them or don't want to know what happens, you may want to skip this

First let me say I'm not at all implying that Naruto copied Harry Potter in any way; there are way too many differences for that. The main reason I thought of this is that I realized the reasons I love Naruto so much are probably very similar to the reasons I love the Harry Potter books. If you've read/watched both series then you know it's impossible to mistake the similarities between the two, and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the same thing. Here are a few of the similarities I've noticed:

- Both sets of main characters are about the same age, or at least start out that way

- Both feature three main characters, two boys and a girl, who become good friends (Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura -- Harry, Ron, Hermione)

- In both cases, the girl is the "smart" one (Sakura -- Hermione)

- Both main characters, Naruto and Harry, grew up without real parents, feeling alienated and not knowing their place in the world

- Both stories are "growing up" stories, revolving around the main characters lives as they attend school (or something similar in Naruto's case), learn new things and try to figure out who they are

- Both sets of characters are at the age where they can do what they want and make their own decisions, yet they still have the protection of the adults watching over them

- In both cases the characters start out dealing with small problems directly related to school or learning (in Naruto's case, the early missions and Genin/Chuunin exams -- too many to name in Harry Potter), but eventually become more and more deeply involved with bigger "real world" problems (the attack on Konoha and the impending war in Naruto -- the return of Voldemort in Harry Potter)

- Even though the main characters are just kids, they often have huge responsibilities thrown on their shoulders (Naruto's team dealing with the Sand during the Konoha invasion -- again too many to name in Harry Potter)

- In both stories there has been a type of competition between the neigboring schools (Chuunin exam -- Tri-Wizard tournament)

- Both main characters, Naruto and Harry, have incredible powers that they themselves do not fully understand (Naruto's Nine-Tails -- Harry being the only one who can kill Voldemort)

- In both cases, the two main characters who aren't the "main" character have at least signs of a romance with each other (Sasuke and Sakura -- Ron and Hermione)

- Both leaders of the schools/clans are super-powerful in their respective arts (Hokage -- Dumbledore)

Once again, I certainly don't think these similarities are a bad thing, it's just something I happened to notice. I'm sure there are many more, and if anyone can think of any, feel free to add to the list. Also, if the main reason you like Naruto is because of the character development and the characters relationships with each other (ie not just the fighting), then you'll very likely also enjoy Harry Potter. Give it a shot if you haven't already; Harry Potter is about as good as it gets
Old 2004-07-30, 01:31   Link #33
HolyAvenger

Great points! Naruto grew from a plankster who failed the gennin test 3 times to someone who could lay some serious smackdown on even high level opponents. I guess Harry's improvments are great as well, but somehow fighting off a bunch of Dementors doesn't seem as cool as summoning a huge frog and beat up on another huge beast.
Old 2004-07-30, 02:01   Link #34
Lazy Shikamaru

I made this exact thread before, it got locked.
Old 2004-07-30, 02:31   Link #35
kefka95
MONKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Shikamaru
I made this exact thread before, it got locked.
In that case I apologize, the search wasn't working for me and I didn't realize this had been brought up before. Although now that I've found them, the previous threads seemed to be more "which one is better" or "which one would win", which is exactly what I'm trying to stay away from.

I tried to actually provide examples and emphasize that this was not a comparison of how "good" they are, but simply an objective comparison. Hopefully people can restrain themselves from starting stupid flame wars.
Old 2007-02-18, 16:34   Link #36
kauldron26
Med Student

Naruto and..... Harry Potter???

So i just got into Naruto last year... Ive seen only eps 1 - 135 and avoided all the fillers. I have been following the manga and Naruto Shipuden seems awesome. Now when i was watching Naruto in the beginning i noticed a few things that are way toooooo similar. Its quite uncanny. Indulge me a little.

1 - Naruto begins with his birth and the 9 tails Kyuubi is sealed in him, with the seal on his stomach. In Harry Potter, it also begins with his birth, and recently we have discovered that lord voldemort split his soul into 7 and one of the pieces might sealed into Harry himself. The Kyuubi gives Naruto extra-ordinary abilities, and Harry gets his from his scar. Naruto = Seal, Harry = Scar

2 - Orochimaru who was the main villian in the beginning is embodied and personified by the elemental snake. Talks like a snake, moves like a snake, and uses snakes for different things. Lord Voldemort form Harry Potter literally embodies all of these qualities. Voldemort looks like a snake, speaks Parsel tongue and practically embodies all the characteristics of a snake just like Orochimaru.

3 - Third Hokage abandoned Orochimaru because of his ambition for power and his research of forbidden techniques. Dumbledore does the same thing to Voldemort when he was younger. Dumbledore and Hokage are very similar in that they are both Mentors to our protagonists, and former mentors to our antagonists. Voldemort was attracted to the forbidden arts and became very ambitious as did orochimaru.

4 - Orochimaru had a former apprentice that now works for the good guys - Anko
Voldemort had Snape as an apprentice and he ended up with the good guys.

5 - In Naruto part 1, the main meat of the story revolves around 3 tasks to become Chunnin that eventually unravel a greater world and the villains. In Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire, there were 3 Tasks for the triwizard tournament this gives insight on how large the wizard world is, and this revealed the return of voldemort to the wizard world.

There are literally dozens of more similarities that i can add and will but i have to finish a paper that i am currently writing.

If there are any more fans of both harry potter and anime please add to this thread. I dont know why but i find the similarities very interesting.
Old 2007-02-18, 17:02   Link #37
Miles54321

Nice thinking and yeh Naruto shinpuuden rocks so far
Closed Thread